2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

53 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

He's already fucking proven himself.  Offer him the super max, if he accepts then you meet and smooth everything over.  If he rejects it, trade him.

I would love to negotiate with some of you people in business.

And I would love to negotiate with you. The Spurs have all the leverage here. Kawhi's family is apparently trying to maximize his earnings. He's already left millions on the table with Nike and he isn't making that money up if he signs a free agent contract anywhere other than San Antonio after next season. Only the Spurs can offer him the super max. And, unless I'm mistaken, if the Spurs don't offer it this summer then he has to come back next year and re-qualify for it which would mean making an all-nba team or being league MVP or defensive player of the year. So why would they commit that money not knowing if he's going to play? If he comes back and he qualifies for the supermax, then they will offer it to him. If he can't go, then they will have paid him $39 million for two seasons of not playing. 

And I would love to negotiate with you. The Spurs have all the leverage here. Kawhi's family is apparently trying to maximize his earnings. He's already left millions on the table with Nike and he isn't making that money up if he signs a free agent contract anywhere other than San Antonio after next season. Only the Spurs can offer him the super max. And, unless I'm mistaken, if the Spurs don't offer it this summer then he has to come back next year and re-qualify for it which would mean making an all-nba team or being league MVP or defensive player of the year. So why would they commit that money not knowing if he's going to play? If he comes back and he qualifies for the supermax, then they will offer it to him. If he can't go, then they will have paid him $39 million for two seasons of not playing. 
The risk is that he's unrestricted, which ultimately gives him all the leverage if he thinks he can make up the money off the court....which seems to be the case.

One of the reasons (maybe THE reason) why the Cavs moved Kyrie is because he threatened to get season-ending surgery if they didn't trade him. At which point he would have zero trade value, and walks at the end of the season leaving the Cavs with nothing to show for it. Would Kawhi play hard ball like this? Do Pop+RC want to find out?

41 minutes ago, ZanTheFan said:

The risk is that he's unrestricted, which ultimately gives him all the leverage if he thinks he can make up the money off the court....which seems to be the case.

One of the reasons (maybe THE reason) why the Cavs moved Kyrie is because he threatened to get season-ending surgery if they didn't trade him. At which point he would have zero trade value, and walks at the end of the season leaving the Cavs with nothing to show for it. Would Kawhi play hard ball like this? Do Pop+RC want to find out?

Yea.... both sides have leverage and cards they can play, so it seems strange to say one side has all the leverage.  Frankly, if he wants to move on, you let him and his team know they'll work with him to help him within reason.  If he's too narrow in his focus are rigid in his demands, he'll cause the Spurs to be as difficult as they can.  If the Spurs are too rigid in their requirements, he can do what's necessary to hurt his trade value.  IF he wants to be gone, then both sides actually benefit to acting in concert, but that entails everyone involved is logical and sensible....

16 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

How is an elite defensive combo guard who shoots 40% from 3 anything like Kawhi coming out of college?

Differences in their game but a lot of similarities in how they defend on the wing. Thomas has more offensive game than Kawhi coming out of college but there's a lot of similarities in how they attack offensively. Very methodical but freak athleticism when needed. 

Clint Parks (someone I respect) has been making the comparison all the way back to 2015. I can absolutely see the similarities, especially on the defensive end. 

Edited by texasstrong12

17 minutes ago, Hate said:

Agreed, although I would like the idea of banishing Kawhi to Sactown if he really does want out.

Not exactly "SoCal," but hey...it's Cali. If that's where he wants to go, better there than the Lakers, I'd say. 

Again, all theoretical/hypothetical. If I knew Kawhi were 100 percent healthy and going to stay that way (with the leg, anyway), I don't want him anywhere but SA.

Spurs are apparently scrapping the Silver Dancers due to "lack of fan interest." They will be replaced with a hype squad composed of men and women. I have assured all of my friends who are unfamiliar with the UT game day experience that hype squads are the ultimate suck.

22 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Spurs are apparently scrapping the Silver Dancers due to "lack of fan interest." They will be replaced with a hype squad composed of men and women. I have assured all of my friends who are unfamiliar with the UT game day experience that hype squads are the ultimate suck.

Greenwood Runners???

6 hours ago, Eastwood said:

I don’t frequent pro sports arenas, so help me out. Where might one find a “dance” squad that really interests the crowd as a whole? I didn’t think that was even the goal. 

9 hours ago, Eastwood said:

Sounds very aggy

I'm not watching that series, but I saw a few highlights on the news this morning.  The highlights included Chris Paul flopping when he gently backed into someone, which allowed his man to go in for a layup; and Harden with his shoes nailed to the floor, which allowed his man to go in for a layup; then a shit load of 3's. 

I wonder if Harden has quit yet.

I haven't watched any of the WCF save for a few mins in the second quarter of Game 2. I'm seeing posts all over FB about favorite teams being a handful and then the last one is always "whoever-is-playing-the-Rockets" -- WTF are they doing to be so universally- hated? I mean other than wearing red-and-orange and playing home games in Houston?

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I haven't watched any of the WCF save for a few mins in the second quarter of Game 2. I'm seeing posts all over FB about favorite teams being a handful and then the last one is always "whoever-is-playing-the-Rockets" -- WTF are they doing to be so universally- hated? I mean other than wearing red-and-orange and playing home games in Houston?

I haven't watched much of the playoffs at all. Not even many highlights. I'm not a Rockets hater so much as I'm bemused by their fans' schizo nature. Their psyche swings wildly between "Clutch City" and "Choke City." There's not much middle ground. Maybe that's somewhat true of all fanbases in all sports, but some of these folks seem to take it to an extreme.

43 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I haven't watched much of the playoffs at all. Not even many highlights. I'm not a Rockets hater so much as I'm bemused by their fans' schizo nature. Their psyche swings wildly between "Clutch City" and "Choke City." There's not much middle ground. Maybe that's somewhat true of all fanbases in all sports, but some of these folks seem to take it to an extreme.

Some of this, and add in a bit of that bullshit ass "Swag Champs" mantra some of their fans have taken to for years on Facebook, and add in a bit of:

43 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

James Harden is the worst.  Even casual fans can sense the quit in him.

Add in Chris Paul and Mike D'Antoni and you've got a ready made little bitch snack cake fresh off the shit heap.  

and you have a good picture.

Their fans are blind followers that rooted to be led by Dwight Howard and then by James Harden, and now throw CP3 into the mix. They've spent decades hating on the Spurs' style only to be the most flopping team still left in the league (only their fans, who haven't watched a Spurs game in 5 years will still say the Spurs are boring/floppers). They are never self-aware enough to notice that maybe culture really does matter, and rooting for your team of front-running chokers/quitters without ever expecting more out of the culture of your team is enough for me....  They suck.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

CP3 is a fierce fighter, even down by 25 he was giving 100%.  I got a new respect for him since i watch him so often now.  Harden has weaknesses. NEED BRON!. 

You became a bigger fan of CP3 after last night?? Which part of his pouty, stomping around, purposely bumping into people, angry little man act did you like the most?  I love CP3's game and his basketball IQ, but he's so damn petulant when things aren't going his way.  Living out here, I watched way more Clippers' games than any person should ever subject themselves to, and he just never stops barking at refs, players, teammates, fans, anybody really.  He's not as demonstrative as Draymond, but he's every bit as whiny. 

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You became a bigger fan of CP3 after last night?? Which part of his pouty, stomping around, purposely bumping into people, angry little man act did you like the most?  I love CP3's game and his basketball IQ, but he's so damn petulant when things aren't going his way.  Living out here, I watched way more Clippers' games than any person should ever subject themselves to, and he just never stops barking at refs, players, teammates, fans, anybody really.  He's not as demonstrative as Draymond, but he's every bit as whiny. 

Here in the ATL, many Hawks fans lamented the choice of Marvin Williams over CP3. But even at that point, I'd seen enough of the latter's diva act at Wake Forest to never be a real fan. Fantastic player? Yes. But I just wasn't a fan. And nothing he's done in the association since then has changed my view. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

21 hours ago, C-Man said:

I don't want to talk about the Rockets.  I want to talk about how much fun it is to watch their fans shit themselves.  

Misleading article.  The money quote is here (from Tom Osborn - Spurs beat writer):

Still, the Spurs hope to meet with Leonard and his representatives soon in a bid to mend fences and pave the way for Leonard to come to terms on a five-year $219 million supermax contract that he will be eligible to receive starting July 1. If attempts to patch up the relationship fail, the Spurs will be forced to explore trading a player coach Gregg Popovich once labeled “the future face of the franchise.”

I was actually more and more impressed with Houston add the series went on.  Especially Dantoni who actually let them play a little defense.  

But then I also loled when cp3 went down because he can't play more then 20 or so games without getting hurt.  Also the ref blaming is funny. Everyone said the officiating would be looser in the playoffs and the rockets couldn't adjust to it.