Jump to content
Hellraiser97

How much of a cheap bastard are you?

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

You really need to use one of the phone barcode scan apps that crawls and compares prices for each item before you buy.

My list probably pre-dates any sophisticated barcode scan apps.  It has sentimental value, and I exercise my brain by doing mental math.  Besides, what would I do if I found out that another store was cheaper on one thing and a third store was cheaper on the other?  The choices seem clear, either spend my day store-hopping or let it eat away at me that I could have gotten something cheaper elsewhere.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ulukinatme said:

I cut my own hair, buy used tires, and when I finally upgraded to a smartphone a few years ago I went with a Samsung Galaxy S2 from 2011.

S2 Stratosphere for the win. Wife wouldnt give hers up until it completely died. She was a slideout keyboard warrior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ulukinatme said:

I cut my own hair, buy used tires, and when I finally upgraded to a smartphone a few years ago I went with a Samsung Galaxy S2 from 2011.

Buying used tires is pretty damn dangerous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

How's this for a cheap bastard move (I haven't done it in years, but back when I was young and we'd go to NOLA to raise hell, this was a go-to move).

At some point in the evening, somebody wants to go to Pat O'Briens.  So, we go.  Signature drink -- Hurricane, served in the fancy souvenir glass for $12.  What most tourists don't know is that you can get it in a wax cup for $7 (or something like that), and you can SELL BACK your glasses to the bar for the difference.  So, they keep ordering them and getting extra glasses.  I'd spot a table of folks with a bunch of glasses in the middle -- clearly they've been drinking a lot, and clearly they have more glasses than they want for souvenirs.  I'd walk up to the table, and give 'em a sob story about how my little sister and her friend really want a souvenir -- could I have a couple of their extras?  It worked 90% of the time.  

I'd take two glasses, turn them in at the bar, pocket $10, and move on to another table.  I'd do that 4-5 times (it's a big place), pocket $40+, and finance my drinking adventures for the evening.

Oh hell yeah.

This one time, not at band camp? I wandered up to a keg party. Vaguely knew somebody there. Was hungry as hell but no $. Party's next door to some pizza place. So I asked the keg dudes if they wanted some pizza. Then I asked the pizza dudes if they wanted to come drink beer. Before long, we all had free pizza, and the pizza dudes were drinking free beer. I was doing both. People kept thanking me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Buying used tires is pretty damn dangerous.

Not if you put them on the back. Rookies put them on the front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Not if you put them on the back. Rookies put them on the front.

This is true.  The better tires should be on the back.

I have handled too many cases where multiple people were killed or paralyzed due to shitty tires. 

For me and my family, we drive on Michelins and make sure they have ample tread depth and are not older than 6 years old (I have seen tire delamination rollover fatalities on tread that looked brand new but the tire was too old).

If you drive on Cooper or Continental tires, T&Ps.   BF Goodrich aren't much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Oh hell yeah.

This one time, not at band camp? I wandered up to a keg party. Vaguely knew somebody there. Was hungry as hell but no $. Party's next door to some pizza place. So I asked the keg dudes if they wanted some pizza. Then I asked the pizza dudes if they wanted to come drink beer. Before long, we all had free pizza, and the pizza dudes were drinking free beer. I was doing both. People kept thanking me.

We should put your ass in charge of peace in the Middle East.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this qualifies more for "juvenile delinquent" than "cheap bastard", but as young teenagers we used to steal the returned soda bottles off the back loading dock of the neighborhood grocery store, walk them up front, and return them for cash.  I think it was 5c per bottle.  Eventually our greed lapped our common sense and we got busted for doing it too many times in one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Not if you put them on the back. Rookies put them on the front.

Wait. I misread you. The better tires go on the back. Much safer to have a front tire failure than a rear tire failure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Extra chips and tortillas left over?  

What does this even mean?

When you go to a mexican restaurant they bring chips and salsa soon after you sit down.  Then they bring tortillas with the meal.  I assume they just throw the leftovers away, so I take them because I hate food being wasted.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Wait. I misread you. The better tires go on the back. Much safer to have a front tire failure than a rear tire failure. 

How you figure? I would want to maintain the ability to steer.

Anyway, don't matter to me, used tires were a thing of the Broke 90s. Since then I don't skimp on essential maintenance (rag top is non-essential.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

When you go to a mexican restaurant they bring chips and salsa soon after you sit down.  Then they bring tortillas with the meal.  I assume they just throw the leftovers away, so I take them because I hate food being wasted.  

I never get enough tortillas. They go, "Oh, here's the pinche King of Scotland, don't give him too many he doesn't even know what they are."

But I do.

We've got a decent joint nearby, it's not that crunchy Taco Bell style shit, it's like sitting in a decent joint in Mexico City. One night I gave the owner a Cap and Rays silver peso from the 30s or 40s, it's 12 grams silver, like, about 6 bucks US$ of metal. Dude was delighted, took down some brand of tequila way fancier than I ever had before or since, poured us a couple of shots. DAMN it was jood. I am not big on tequila but the next time I feel the urge, I am using more old Mexican money worth $6 of silver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

When you go to a mexican restaurant they bring chips and salsa soon after you sit down.  Then they bring tortillas with the meal.  I assume they just throw the leftovers away, so I take them because I hate food being wasted.  

What leftovers?  Why are you leaving any chips and salsa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

How you figure? I would want to maintain the ability to steer.

Whenever I buy a pair of tires at discount tire, they always put the new pair on the back and the older pair on the front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

 

If you drive on Cooper or Continental tires, T&Ps.   BF Goodrich aren't much better.

Interesting theory councilor. Ironically around 2002 I had a blowout on I35 near Laredo with a set of Goodyear tires. In my 30 years of driving and 40+ trips around earth I've had exactly zero blowouts with every other band. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

How's this for a cheap bastard move (I haven't done it in years, but back when I was young and we'd go to NOLA to raise hell, this was a go-to move).

At some point in the evening, somebody wants to go to Pat O'Briens.  So, we go.  Signature drink -- Hurricane, served in the fancy souvenir glass for $12.  What most tourists don't know is that you can get it in a wax cup for $7 (or something like that), and you can SELL BACK your glasses to the bar for the difference.  So, they keep ordering them and getting extra glasses.  I'd spot a table of folks with a bunch of glasses in the middle -- clearly they've been drinking a lot, and clearly they have more glasses than they want for souvenirs.  I'd walk up to the table, and give 'em a sob story about how my little sister and her friend really want a souvenir -- could I have a couple of their extras?  It worked 90% of the time.  

I'd take two glasses, turn them in at the bar, pocket $10, and move on to another table.  I'd do that 4-5 times (it's a big place), pocket $40+, and finance my drinking adventures for the evening.

This isn't cheap, it's smart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

We'd all die.

We’re gonna die anyway.

we should put you in charge of peace in the Middle East.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

  The choices seem clear, either spend my day store-hopping or let it eat away at me that I could have gotten something cheaper elsewhere.

Absolutely. Both of those choices are acceptable for this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think this qualifies more for "juvenile delinquent" than "cheap bastard", but as young teenagers we used to steal the returned soda bottles off the back loading dock of the neighborhood grocery store, walk them up front, and return them for cash.  I think it was 5c per bottle.  Eventually our greed lapped our common sense and we got busted for doing it too many times in one day.

Didn't know you are Army Brat old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Whenever I buy a pair of tires at discount tire, they always put the new pair on the back and the older pair on the front.

They are following the proscribed method recommended by the TIA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Whenever I buy a pair of tires at discount tire, they always put the new pair on the back and the older pair on the front.

That’s because a front tire failure results in understeer. Meaning the car turns less than intended. A rear tire failure results in oversteer. Meaning the car turns more than intended by the steering input. Oversteer is a lot more dangerous and will cause spin outs and rollovers. 

My experts compared it to an arrow. Feathers go on the back because that is what adds the most stability. Same with tires. Back is more important.  That is what keeps vehicle going straight.  

It is undisputed in the industry that the best pair of tires need to be on the back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just learned that my Driver's Ed teacher lied to me. Lucky to be here.

In the spirit of this thread, maybe I'll just park the car, and walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Didn't know you are Army Brat old.

Not quite.  Fun fact:  you can still return bottles for cash in 10 states and 2 others are campaigning for same.

So, all you cheap bastards . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

When you go to a mexican restaurant they bring chips and salsa soon after you sit down.  Then they bring tortillas with the meal.  I assume they just throw the leftovers away, so I take them because I hate food being wasted.  

Actually it's when you ask for more chips and tortillas to go with that last piece of fajita meat on the platter, then you box then up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone else go to mexican places, order the cheapest lunch meal, fill up on the chips and salsa then take the actual meal home for dinner?$5.99 (at the time) for two meals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

They said I needed to get rid of it. I was hungry, and it was already paid for. So I got rid of it.

You just don't want to let it get too old.

- Romaine Polanski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked at Wendy's when I was in high school.  There was a couple who would come in every Sunday with the newspaper and eat lunch at the all-you-can-eat salad bar.  They'd refill their iced teas over the course of the afternoon and then pop down another round of salads for an early dinner.

I may be cheap, but that was pathetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep some of the reusable plastic containers from a couple of fast food places. But it's not so much because they're free, but because they're way better than the ones you can buy at the store that never stay shut. KFC and Golden Chick side item containers are legit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2018 at 2:18 AM, ulukinatme said:

I cut my own hair, buy used tires, and when I finally upgraded to a smartphone a few years ago I went with a Samsung Galaxy S2 from 2011.

I've cut my own hair for about 30 years. After real barbers became practically extinct, I got sick of shitty higher priced stupid haircuts from places like Supercuts. I would always come home and fix them myself. Then I decided I might was well just cut my own hair from scratch. Ain't nothin' gonna make my ugly ass look good anyway, so fuck it. I'll save the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grow squash sometimes in spring. You plant them a few seeds to a mound and once they get going you're supposed to cull out the smaller ones to favor the growth of the dominant ones. But I hate waste, and I feel like the lesser squash deserve a shot as much as any other thing. So I'll carefully pull the young plants away from the bunch and replant them someplace else, in a container or something. Sure enough, sometimes the culled plants end up doing better than the ones that had started out stronger. I call them my second-chance squash. Scrappy little guys...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2018 at 10:22 PM, gsoda3 said:

i wash out ziploc bags and reuse them. 

Damn, that's cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DougO said:

I grow squash sometimes in spring. You plant them a few seeds to a mound and once they get going you're supposed to cull out the smaller ones to favor the growth of the dominant ones. But I hate waste, and I feel like the lesser squash deserve a shot as much as any other thing. So I'll carefully pull the young plants away from the bunch and replant them someplace else, in a container or something. Sure enough, sometimes the culled plants end up doing better than the ones that had started out stronger. I call them my second-chance squash. Scrappy little guys...

That's not cheap, that's smart. I have transplants all over my property for similar reasons, including all the unidentified volunteers from the compost pile. Best melons I ever grew came from chicken poop and I didn't know what kind they were til the fruit set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:22 PM, gsoda3 said:

i'm loving this thread. 

 

i wash out ziploc bags and reuse them. 

My wife does that.  I throw them away when they dry.

They spring leaks easily, which ends up spoiling the food you put in them, which costs you more than using a new Ziploc bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...