Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - All Gas No Brakes

• Replies 21.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I work closely with a certain previously committed 5 star QB's father (hint: its Quinn Ewers, for those who haven't been following recruiting closely like I have) and chatted with him a bit this after

I find all of the angst about Murphy to be laughable. After Ewers, he's the guy I've been cheering for Texas to land for 3 weeks. Texas has a healthy QB room right now and that isn't going to change.

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Dude you are thinking of it the wrong way. It should state " I hope he toured the locker room and found the bag of cash with his name on it"

This is insanity. You don’t put their name on it.  Just leave a large bag with dollar signs printed on and say “I think this must belong to you.”  Wink wink. 

Wells

‘22 Liberty (Las Vegas) ATH, recent Washington de-commit Anthony Jones tells me he’s got three official visits set up with Miami, Texas, and Oregon in June.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 3
4 hours ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

How is Maalik so far this spring season? I recall our surly recruiting gurus pissing their panties after his meadoker 1st game. 

The consensus seems to be: "It's hard to tell, because the talent surrounding him, the competition, and the coaching aren't close to what we typically expect to see around a 5-star QB."

His rating has dropped to 4-star, due somewhat to the above and somewhat to just not lighting up the Spring California season with 500 yds and 7 TDs every game. The fact that his O-line is suspect, and the skill positions aren't teeming with talented gamebreakers everywhere makes it hard for him to do that. All that combined with limited reps, and him not being part of a machine-like HS football program (think LT, Westlake, Southlake, North Shore, Duncanville, Mater Dei, IMG Academy, etc.), leaves you with "He has physical talent, and has excelled at 7v7, but limited reps in a crappy program against lower competition leave enough question marks to label him a multi-year project."

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 3
How is Maalik so far this spring season? I recall our surly recruiting gurus pissing their panties after his meadoker 1st game. 
From what I've seen, his team and coaches are sub par, same for most of the competition he's faced. At the risk of sounding biased to Txhsfb, (I am) I have not been impressed overall with what I've seen out of Cali.

Having said that, doesnt mean they dont produce some outstanding athletes, and Maalik seems to be getting a bit better with each game. He's a guy that will need a minimum two seasons getting real coaching and watching from the sidelines at the college level, 3 seasons would be better. If he sticks around long enough I think he has potential to be special...but thats all it is right now, potential.
  • Hook 'Em 1
On 4/9/2021 at 11:13 PM, JackBurton said:

Last I heard it was ND or Clemson, but Alabama/LSU/Florida have offered recently so who knows. It's still early

Notre Dame's 247 mod thinks that they might not have room for him right now after recently taking a DE commit 

• Hook 'Em 1

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Predicting the 2022 offensive class

Spoiler

As we draw nearer to the summer and the hope that the NCAA dead period will end, the time has come to take our first shot at predicting what the 2022 class will look like.

Predictions are always difficult, especially when we are almost a year from this class wrapping up. As more evaluations and offers are made, the face of this class will continue to change and predictions should be looked at as an ongoing prospect.

Still, there must be a starting point somewhere and now feels like the best time to do so. We'll start with the offensive side of the ball where Steve Sarkisian looks to invigorate Texas' scoring and bring in some playmakers.

These projections are based on our intel at the moment, and a total class projection is incomplete as there are some positions we can't clearly project anyone to right now.

In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we take our first shot at predicting the 2022 class starting with the offensive recruits.

Maalik Murphy, QB, Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra

Murphy committed early in the cycle and has been the vocal leader of this group since that time. The west-coast passer is all in on being a Longhorn and is excited to get down to Austin and check out Texas on his official visit this summer. Murphy hasn’t been as active on social media since starting his short season in California, but he only has one week left in the year. It’s hard to see Murphy going anywhere outside of a mutual parting of ways, and it’s tough to see Texas wanting to walk away from a player with such a strong set of tools.

Jaydon Blue, RB, Klein Cain

Blue committed early to Texas and has been another big recruiter for the Longhorns. The top running back in the nation is coming off of a massively productive junior season and is gearing up to make a run at five-star status in his senior year. Blue has been factored into this class for a long time, but he’s also helping to bring in other offensive weapons with him. Blue seems solidly locked in, and he will play a major role for the Longhorns once he gets to Texas.

Tavorus Jones, RB, El Paso Burges

If I had to pinpoint a player who could commit on a visit this summer, Jones would be my odds-on favorite. There were times in the past year where Jones was close to pulling the trigger with the Longhorns, and a trip to Austin for an official visit could seal the deal for Texas. Jones’ big frame and explosive downhill ability is seen as a compatible fit to go along with Blue and fit nicely into Stan Drayton’s meeting room. The Longhorns are targeting a few different running back options, but Jones feels like the best bet at the moment.

Armani Winfield, WR, Lewisville

There have been times where Winfield might have wavered a bit, but his commitment is solid right now. Winfield wanted to be able to take his full complement of trips as a recruit and he should be able to do that now. Winfield was the first prospect in the class to commit to Steve Sarkisian, and Texas should be able to nail everything down after getting him on campus this summer.

Evan Stewart, WR, Frisco Liberty

It’s far from a sure thing, but I’ll remain firm in saying that Texas can get elite wide receiver Evan Stewart back if they just stay the course. As of now, the Longhorns are throwing everything they can at him as we enter a summer full of visits. Stewart’s scheduled trips are still up in the air at this point, and it’s unlikely there’s a firm schedule until he gets closer to those trips. I expect Stewart to be in Austin several times unofficially and his Texas official visit could push to the fall.

Kevin Coleman, WR, Saint Louis (Mo.) St. Mary’s

This is more of a projection, but there continues to be a lot of positive optimism in Austin when it comes to Kevin Coleman. The speedy Midwest receiver doesn’t talk a lot, but the Longhorns established themselves as players early on along with Alabama and Oregon. Coleman plans to take his time with the process, but Texas is capable of winning this battle with a good visit and a strong showing on the field in the fall. It will be a tough competition, but Texas feels good with where things stand moving into the summer.

Tight End

There isn’t a name I can safely project at this position yet. I fully expect Texas to sign at least one player at the position, but like I said last week, this is the position with the least amount of clarity at the moment. I do believe that Texas will eventually land one of the in-state project types they will have to build up, but it’s way too early to project a specific name at the moment.

Kelvin Banks, OL, Humble Summer Creek

It will be a tough race to land Banks, but I think Texas has really been coming on this race since Kyle Flood arrived. A source I spoke with close to Banks called him “unpredictable” when it comes to his decision-making process. Texas is a program Banks grew up watching and he’s mentioned them being a childhood favorite on multiple occasions. If Texas can convince him they are the right place for his development, Flood should be able to close the deal and land him. Texas A&M will pose the biggest threat, but Oklahoma could be a sneaky contender as well.

Cole Hutson, OL, Frisco

Hutson has his top schools set, but this feels like a battle that’s coming down to a head-to-head between Texas and Oklahoma. Hutson is set to visit this summer, and Texas has an advantage as Hutson wants to major in business and the Longhorns can sell the prestigious McCombs Business School as part of the overall package. Hutson is a major priority for the Longhorns as Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood have been in contact almost daily. I was also told by a source that the family has been impressed with the thoroughness of the recruiting presentations they’ve received over Zoom up until this point. In the end, I believe Texas wins this race.

Devon Campbell, OL, Arlington Bowie

I put in a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Campbell to land at Texas over a year ago. The Longhorns were one of the earliest programs to offer and have been a constant factor in his recruitment. Campbell plays things close to the vest, and those near him have even been in the dark on where things stand. Campbell has a few visits set up for the summer, but Texas hasn’t been scheduled as of yet. I’m told he will take a few unofficial throughout the year and likely save his official for the fall. Oklahoma is the school I see putting up the biggest fight, but I think Texas can win the five-star big man over.

Connor Robertson, OL, Austin Westlake

Robertson has been on my next to commit list for a while, and I currently have him projected in this class on the offensive line. While I still think Texas leads, Stanford has been making a push since offering. For athletes with big academic dreams, Palo Alto will always have a significant draw. Still, Texas presents a significant draw to Austin natives and Westlake has traditionally been a feeder program for the Longhorns. When Robertson was first offered, he talked about how he grew up dreaming of playing at Texas. Will that be enough to overcome the academic prestige of Stanford? I think so, but this is a race I’m watching closely.

• Hook 'Em 2
2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Predicting the 2022 offensive class

Hide contents

As we draw nearer to the summer and the hope that the NCAA dead period will end, the time has come to take our first shot at predicting what the 2022 class will look like.

Predictions are always difficult, especially when we are almost a year from this class wrapping up. As more evaluations and offers are made, the face of this class will continue to change and predictions should be looked at as an ongoing prospect.

Still, there must be a starting point somewhere and now feels like the best time to do so. We'll start with the offensive side of the ball where Steve Sarkisian looks to invigorate Texas' scoring and bring in some playmakers.

These projections are based on our intel at the moment, and a total class projection is incomplete as there are some positions we can't clearly project anyone to right now.

In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we take our first shot at predicting the 2022 class starting with the offensive recruits.

Maalik Murphy, QB, Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra

Murphy committed early in the cycle and has been the vocal leader of this group since that time. The west-coast passer is all in on being a Longhorn and is excited to get down to Austin and check out Texas on his official visit this summer. Murphy hasn’t been as active on social media since starting his short season in California, but he only has one week left in the year. It’s hard to see Murphy going anywhere outside of a mutual parting of ways, and it’s tough to see Texas wanting to walk away from a player with such a strong set of tools.

Jaydon Blue, RB, Klein Cain

Blue committed early to Texas and has been another big recruiter for the Longhorns. The top running back in the nation is coming off of a massively productive junior season and is gearing up to make a run at five-star status in his senior year. Blue has been factored into this class for a long time, but he’s also helping to bring in other offensive weapons with him. Blue seems solidly locked in, and he will play a major role for the Longhorns once he gets to Texas.

Tavorus Jones, RB, El Paso Burges

If I had to pinpoint a player who could commit on a visit this summer, Jones would be my odds-on favorite. There were times in the past year where Jones was close to pulling the trigger with the Longhorns, and a trip to Austin for an official visit could seal the deal for Texas. Jones’ big frame and explosive downhill ability is seen as a compatible fit to go along with Blue and fit nicely into Stan Drayton’s meeting room. The Longhorns are targeting a few different running back options, but Jones feels like the best bet at the moment.

Armani Winfield, WR, Lewisville

There have been times where Winfield might have wavered a bit, but his commitment is solid right now. Winfield wanted to be able to take his full complement of trips as a recruit and he should be able to do that now. Winfield was the first prospect in the class to commit to Steve Sarkisian, and Texas should be able to nail everything down after getting him on campus this summer.

Evan Stewart, WR, Frisco Liberty

It’s far from a sure thing, but I’ll remain firm in saying that Texas can get elite wide receiver Evan Stewart back if they just stay the course. As of now, the Longhorns are throwing everything they can at him as we enter a summer full of visits. Stewart’s scheduled trips are still up in the air at this point, and it’s unlikely there’s a firm schedule until he gets closer to those trips. I expect Stewart to be in Austin several times unofficially and his Texas official visit could push to the fall.

Kevin Coleman, WR, Saint Louis (Mo.) St. Mary’s

This is more of a projection, but there continues to be a lot of positive optimism in Austin when it comes to Kevin Coleman. The speedy Midwest receiver doesn’t talk a lot, but the Longhorns established themselves as players early on along with Alabama and Oregon. Coleman plans to take his time with the process, but Texas is capable of winning this battle with a good visit and a strong showing on the field in the fall. It will be a tough competition, but Texas feels good with where things stand moving into the summer.

Tight End

There isn’t a name I can safely project at this position yet. I fully expect Texas to sign at least one player at the position, but like I said last week, this is the position with the least amount of clarity at the moment. I do believe that Texas will eventually land one of the in-state project types they will have to build up, but it’s way too early to project a specific name at the moment.

Kelvin Banks, OL, Humble Summer Creek

It will be a tough race to land Banks, but I think Texas has really been coming on this race since Kyle Flood arrived. A source I spoke with close to Banks called him “unpredictable” when it comes to his decision-making process. Texas is a program Banks grew up watching and he’s mentioned them being a childhood favorite on multiple occasions. If Texas can convince him they are the right place for his development, Flood should be able to close the deal and land him. Texas A&M will pose the biggest threat, but Oklahoma could be a sneaky contender as well.

Cole Hutson, OL, Frisco

Hutson has his top schools set, but this feels like a battle that’s coming down to a head-to-head between Texas and Oklahoma. Hutson is set to visit this summer, and Texas has an advantage as Hutson wants to major in business and the Longhorns can sell the prestigious McCombs Business School as part of the overall package. Hutson is a major priority for the Longhorns as Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood have been in contact almost daily. I was also told by a source that the family has been impressed with the thoroughness of the recruiting presentations they’ve received over Zoom up until this point. In the end, I believe Texas wins this race.

Devon Campbell, OL, Arlington Bowie

I put in a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Campbell to land at Texas over a year ago. The Longhorns were one of the earliest programs to offer and have been a constant factor in his recruitment. Campbell plays things close to the vest, and those near him have even been in the dark on where things stand. Campbell has a few visits set up for the summer, but Texas hasn’t been scheduled as of yet. I’m told he will take a few unofficial throughout the year and likely save his official for the fall. Oklahoma is the school I see putting up the biggest fight, but I think Texas can win the five-star big man over.

Connor Robertson, OL, Austin Westlake

Robertson has been on my next to commit list for a while, and I currently have him projected in this class on the offensive line. While I still think Texas leads, Stanford has been making a push since offering. For athletes with big academic dreams, Palo Alto will always have a significant draw. Still, Texas presents a significant draw to Austin natives and Westlake has traditionally been a feeder program for the Longhorns. When Robertson was first offered, he talked about how he grew up dreaming of playing at Texas. Will that be enough to overcome the academic prestige of Stanford? I think so, but this is a race I’m watching closely.

I haven't even read this article yet, but I want to get on the record saying I put about as much stock in MIke Roach's class prediction as I do in his ability to eat a balanced diet for 3 consecutive meals. It's like taking financial advice in good faith from Lenny Dykstra, or asking Curt Schilling about investing in video games. Or asking Curt Schilling about Not Being Insane.

• Hook 'Em 3