2021 Texas HS football

Machinator

Vandegrift saw a bunch of white kids on the Westlake sideline and thought they could just out athlete them. 

How in the shit are schools like South Oak Cliff & Austin LBJ in the semis. It’s supposed to be impossible for schools like that to compete. And it’s been a super long time since there were any good inner city teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Vandegrift saw a bunch of white kids on the Westlake sideline and thought they could just out athlete them. 

How in the shit are schools like South Oak Cliff & Austin LBJ in the semis. It’s supposed to be impossible for schools like that to compete. And it’s been a super long time since there were any good inner city teams. 

LMAO. So a bunch of white kids (none of which have a D1 offer) saw a bunch of white kids (some of which do have a D1 offer) and they thought they could out athlete them? Instead of assuming you’re a complete moron, I’ll assume you are being sarcastic.
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

LMAO. So a bunch of white kids (none of which have a D1 offer) saw a bunch of white kids (some of which do have a D1 offer) and they thought they could out athlete them? Instead of assuming you’re a complete moron, I’ll assume you are being sarcastic.

Keep at it. You’re catching on how this works.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

Austin LBJ has been pretty good for some time now. Their basketball team is always good, but I suppose that’s less surprising.

15 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Westlake/Katy at the toilet bowl in Waco Saturday at 2. 

Any word on television broadcast coverage for this game?  

Or is it blacked-out, like the women at Baylor?  

Edited by Lobo

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

Austin ISD has a very open transfer policy.  Austin LBJ has about 800 students in a building designed for 2000.  AISD has 20,000 students at the high school level.  There are still over 3900 kids at Eastside, LBJ, Northeast and Navarro, even though the district has shrunk.

LBJ has a Black population of 33%.  I think Northeast (the old Reagan) is in second place at 13%.  If you are a Black family in AISD and you want your kid to be on a team with more than a few other Black students, you need to transfer to LBJ.  If I had a kid with some athletic talent that was slated to attend one of the other schools in the area, I'd move them to LBJ.

The LBJ staff deserves credit for building good athletic programs that are now attracting families to play there. 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 hours ago, Helobious said:

They said on the HSFB scoreboard show last night that no Dallas ISD school had won a state title since 1958. 😮

3 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

They said on the HSFB scoreboard show last night that no Dallas ISD school had won a state title since 1958. 😮

Well, Carter won in ‘88 and then of course infamously was stripped of the title afterwards.

57 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

South Oak Cliff built a brand new state of the art building that opened last year and can easily poach talent from the other disd or I20 schools

Most of the top talent in that area winds up at Duncanville or Desoto these days. Dallas ISD is a wasteland for football, Reginald Samples is the only person this millennium to have any type of success in that district until now, and he left it for a reason. What SOC is doing is super impressive.

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

SLC has an easy blowout W against Duncanville lined up. They’re a machine this year. I think North Shore barely squeaks by LT. Both teams having down years. SLC wins the title. 

In 6A D2 I don’t even know who’s left. Just give Westlake the trophy it doesn’t matter.

I need to watch LT play... North Shore definitely not up to their usual level. Defense has got some guys but not enough to slow down a good passing game.  The North Shore freshman QB is going to be a big time player in a year or two. Freak athlete, but right now just can't throw with any accuracy, but he can definitely run. NS o-line doesn't look special but plays well together and was able to run all over Atascocita up the middle and outside.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I need to watch LT play... North Shore definitely not up to their usual level. Defense has got some guys but not enough to slow down a good passing game.  The North Shore freshman QB is going to be a big time player in a year or two. Freak athlete, but right now just can't throw with any accuracy, but he can definitely run. NS o-line doesn't look special but plays well together and was able to run all over Atascocita up the middle and outside.

Thinking the same and shared that w our LT brethren. 

51 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Thinking the same and shared that w our LT brethren. 

I would agree that NS wins this one prior to Saturday. But for the first time since last year, the LT QB showed up and actually completed more than 50% of his passes. He was on fire. Add that to DJ who rushed for 200 yards and the offense rolled in normal LT fashion. The D finally played a solid game as well. The back 7 have been horrific in pass coverage all season until Saturday. They shut down a QB who had thrown 50 TDs and only 1 INT. what happened? IDK. But that was the first time in the last 15 months that LT looked like LT.

If they show up like that this Saturday, I think LT has a chance. If not, NS rolls.

and btw, LT's RB should be getting attention from every college in the nation. He is in the conversation for the best RB we have ever had. He has been lightly recruited because our coaches played him at MLB last season. This is his first year at RB and he has been dominant.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I would agree that NS wins this one prior to Saturday. But for the first time since last year, the LT QB showed up and actually completed more than 50% of his passes. He was on fire. Add that to DJ who rushed for 200 yards and the offense rolled in normal LT fashion. The D finally played a solid game as well. The back 7 have been horrific in pass coverage all season until Saturday. They shut down a QB who had thrown 50 TDs and only 1 INT. what happened? IDK. But that was the first time in the last 15 months that LT looked like LT.

If they show up like that this Saturday, I think LT has a chance. If not, NS rolls.

and btw, LT's RB should be getting attention from every college in the nation. He is in the conversation for the best RB we have ever had. He has been lightly recruited because our coaches played him at MLB last season. This is his first year at RB and he has been dominant.

I agree. I think LT lines up nicely against NS. And I love Johnson at RB. Dude is hard-nosed, helps wherever he is asked to play and is a football player. His 50-yard breakaway run against our Chaps was pretty awesome.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

SLC has an easy blowout W against Duncanville lined up. They’re a machine this year. I think North Shore barely squeaks by LT. Both teams having down years. SLC wins the title. 

In 6A D2 I don’t even know who’s left. Just give Westlake the trophy it doesn’t matter.

Southlake only won by one score last year with Quinn Ewers, I’d be pretty surprised if it was an “easy blowout”.

@Helobious I love how you stand-up and support San Antonio and South Texas football. I've learned so much from you and you've made watching the game way more fun for me. 

That said, Austin-area football is really rolling:

• 6A: Westlake and LT in semi's
  • 5A: Liberty Hill in semi's
  • 4A: LBJ in semi's
  • 2A: Lago Vista in semi's
  • 1A: St. Stephens won State   
  • Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I agree. I think LT lines up nicely against NS. And I love Johnson at RB. Dude is hard-nosed, helps wherever he is asked to play and is a football player. His 50-yard breakaway run against our Chaps was pretty awesome.  

He ripped off a 94 yard TD run against Brennan. and yeah, he just refuses to go down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Dumb Question Monday....Westlake and LT were in the same district but are classed differently in the playoffs.  D1 and D2. 

Those 2 classes are defined by school size, yes, and the reason Westlake and LT aren't / won't play each other in the state playoffs this season?

Correct. 4 teams from each district make the playoffs. The 2 largest schools go D1, 2 smallest go D2

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

@Helobious I love how you stand-up and support San Antonio and South Texas football. I've learned so much from you and you've made watching the game way more fun for me. 

That said, Austin-area football is really rolling:

• 6A: Westlake and LT in semi's
  • 5A: Liberty Hill in semi's
  • 4A: LBJ in semi's
  • 2A: Lago Vista in semi's
  • 1A: St. Stephens won State   

Yeah well let’s see how confident you are once soccer season starts. 

I think easily the most impressive team in all of that is LBJ. They beat Liberty Hill and have completely wrecked everyone else on their schedule. Ridiculous offensive numbers with a large number of 2-way starters 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I think easily the most impressive team in all of that is LBJ. They beat Liberty Hill and have completely wrecked everyone else on their schedule. Ridiculous offensive numbers with a large number of 2-way starters 

Westlake, LT, etc. each have about 300 kids in the program and most have 2 freshman, 2 JV, and 1 varsity team.  LBJ has a total of 85 kids playing football with just one JV and one varsity team.  When they made the semis last year they had 45 kids total playing football at any level.  The JV team is effectively the freshman team since it's all freshmen and 2-3 sophomores. Everyone else is on varsity.  It'd be interesting to see if those well regarded big school coaches could do as well with LBJ's resources and program size.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, wutang75 said:

Holy shit what’s the story with this Franklin team. 259-13 in the playoffs? Those are Big Sandy numbers (shout out to Lovie Smith and David Overstreet).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They've perfected the slot T, apparently. Big team on defense too. Waskom is a damn good team, but Franklin probably beats them by a few TDs.

An old-school type game: Flexbone vs slot T. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

24 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Westlake, LT, etc. each have about 300 kids in the program and most have 2 freshman, 2 JV, and 1 varsity team.  LBJ has a total of 85 kids playing football with just one JV and one varsity team.  When they made the semis last year they had 45 kids total playing football at any level.  The JV team is effectively the freshman team since it's all freshmen and 2-3 sophomores. Everyone else is on varsity.  It'd be interesting to see if those well regarded big school coaches could do as well with LBJ's resources and program size.

The Austin ISD might not be doing them a favor next year as they are being bumped up to 5A Div 2 by request despite still having having barley 4A Div 1 numbers and they are doing this to a couple of others who should be in  4A the next two academic years too. Once they get into playoffs, chances are they will be playing a school from the get go that is twice their enrollment size.  

They turned in 834 on snap shot day back in October.  The 5A/4A cutoff is likely going to be around 1300.   

• Hook 'Em 2

I still don't understand the UIL shit regarding enrollment, the two divisions, and how they seem to rearrange districts every 45 minutes.  

The school I played at just outside Chicago has the same 7-team division (part of a 14-team conference) that has been in place since before Vietnam.  And the weird thing is the schools are all mostly the same size and have the same districts.  I don't know if it's better or worse, just a strange dichotomy from here in Texas.  /rant

Having said all that, how can one watch these state semifinals this weekend?  Specifically Westlake's game on televisision?  I assume there's TV coverage? 

41 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The Austin ISD might not be doing them a favor next year as they are being bumped up to 5A Div 2 by request despite still having having barley 4A Div 1 numbers and they are doing this to a couple of others who should be in  4A the next two academic years too. Once they get into playoffs, chances are they will be playing a school from the get go that is twice their enrollment size.   

Says everyone who has to play Allen HS. #ridiculous 

Just now, Lobo said:

I still don't understand the UIL shit regarding enrollment, the two divisions, and how they seem to rearrange districts every 45 minutes.  

The school I played at just outside Chicago has the same 7-team division (part of a 14-team conference) that has been in place since before Vietnam.  And the weird thing is the schools are all mostly the same size and have the same districts.  I don't know if it's better or worse, just a strange dichotomy from here in Texas.  /rant

Having said all that, how can one watch these state semifinals this weekend?  Specifically Westlake's game on televisision?  I assume there's TV coverage? 

Download this on to device and you can watch them all

https://www.nfhsnetwork.com       For $10 a month and you can cancel right after the games are over

The UIL commits every  two years to place each classification with around 250-260 schools.   With the  large population increase in the state, this is causing more pressure on 6A, so the threshold for all the other classes move up so they can fit those numbers in.  So when they announce realignment cutoffs anytime now, you will have some schools who were comfortably in 5A last year falling to 4A because the  cutoff number last year was around 1200.  This year it's going to be in the 1300 -1350 range.   And it dominoes for there.  

The difference between Texas and many states which might include Illinois is you can have multiple ISD's literally serving one city and county.  Where as in some states, the schools are controlled by the city or county government, so that has to certainly makes it easier to manage enrollment trends and the like.    Think about Austin and Travis county where off the top of my head you have Austin ISD, Lake Travis ISD, Del Valle ISD, Eanes (Westlake) ISD, Plugerville ISD, Manor ISD and some of the Leander ,Elgin, Round Rock ISD within the county lines.  All autonomous entities that don't have to consult with each other and can dictate the flow of population into their schools and build new ones on a whim if they get voter approval.  

3 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Download this on to device and you can watch them all

https://www.nfhsnetwork.com       For $10 a month and you can cancel right after the games are over

The UIL commits every  two years to place each classification with around 250-260 schools.   With the  large population increase in the state, this is causing more pressure on 6A, so the threshold for all the other classes move up so they can fit those numbers in.  So when they announce realignment cutoffs anytime now, you will have some schools who were comfortably in 5A last year falling to 4A because the  cutoff number last year was around 1200.  This year it's going to be in the 1300 -1350 range.   And it dominoes for there.  

The difference between Texas and many states which might include Illinois is you can have multiple ISD's literally serving one city and county.  Where as in some states, the schools are controlled by the city or county government, so that has to certainly makes it easier to manage enrollment trends and the like.    Think about Austin and Travis county where off the top of my head you have Austin ISD, Lake Travis ISD, Del Valle ISD, Eanes (Westlake) ISD, Plugerville ISD, Manor ISD and some of the Leander ,Elgin, Round Rock ISD within the county lines.  All autonomous entities that don't have to consult with each other and can dictate the flow of population into their schools and build new ones on a whim if they get voter approval.  

Part if it is also how quickly some school districts are adding schools.  When I was growing up, Katy ISD had three high schools and Cy Fair did not have much more than that.  20 years later and Katy has enough for its own district and Cy Fair has enough for its own district and one other district that is almost all Cy Fair as well.  Those schools that used to share a district with Katy and Cy Fair schools have to go somewhere.

9 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Says everyone who has to play Allen HS. #ridiculous 

Yea....  7000 students is a tad too much....   LOL

It must kind of suck to try out for  a basketball or baseball team there.    Think about how many kids have to get cut who would very start elsewhere or atleast get a lot of playing time as potential first or second player off the bench.   I guess the same goes with football after the two deep is established and they've weeded many voluntarily out in the sub varsities.     Someday that community is going to have to look at their model and see if it really does the kids good.  Even when Converse Judson was still in the 4000, they had to fold on it and go to a two high school system which is now three.  Yea, they've kind of sucked on the football field the last couple of seasons which might be more to do with coaching, because even after shedding enrollment to Wagner, they were doing quite well.   Maybe the third shed to SA Ver Memorial has been a negative?  I don't know?  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Part if it is also how quickly some school districts are adding schools.  When I was growing up, Katy ISD had three high schools and Cy Fair did not have much more than that.  20 years later and Katy has enough for its own district and Cy Fair has enough for its own district and one other district that is almost all Cy Fair as well.  Those schools that used to share a district with Katy and Cy Fair schools have to go somewhere.

A former coworker's 3 kids all graduated from a different high school while living in the same house in Cedar Park.

• Hook 'Em 1

When I was in high school back in the mid 80's,   we were around 1700 students and one of the largest 4a (now 5A) schools in the state.   The UIL realigned my Sophomore year, and we thought we were going to be 4A and then the news go to us on that February day we were going to 5A (now 6A).  So we went from being the largest in 4A to the smallest in 5A and this was way before split divisions and even four playoff teams.....  

Everyone else in our fricken district had 2000 up to 3500 students...   Our band had maybe 175 members while the largest had 300 to 400..   When we lined up on the football field the first time we played one of those mega schools for stretching , we started from the 40 and maybe ended around 15 yard line.   The other school started on the 45 yard line and ended in their end zone.  Fun times!   It took us five years and two years after I graduated, but we finally did beat that school!  

12 hours ago, wutang75 said:

Holy shit what’s the story with this Franklin team. 259-13 in the playoffs? Those are Big Sandy numbers (shout out to Lovie Smith and David Overstreet).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They lost a heart-breaker in the state championship game last year and are apparently still REALLY pissed about it.  They run a wildly physical Slot-T offense that just grinds everyone into dust (which is especially meaningful at 3A, where almost everyone plays both ways).  Not that big, but all of them are just country-strong farm boy types.

• Like 1

Dumb Question Monday....Westlake and LT were in the same district but are classed differently in the playoffs.  D1 and D2. 
Those 2 classes are defined by school size, yes, and the reason Westlake and LT aren't / won't play each other in the state playoffs this season?

Bowie…

Bowie is slightly larger than Westlake and smaller than LT. when bowie makes the playoffs it forces LT and Westlake into different divisions.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Helobious said:

Nothing easy about Duncanville, and based on pure D1 talent they will have more than SLC.

9 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Southlake only won by one score last year with Quinn Ewers, I’d be pretty surprised if it was an “easy blowout”.

1 hour ago, ABSR said:

Nothing easy about Duncanville, and based on pure D1 talent they will have more than SLC.

I know Duncanville bent them over in 2018, won a closer game in 2019, and SLC barely won last year. But Duncanville isn’t the same without JQJ & southlake hasn’t skipped a beat without Ewers. Dragons will roll.

55 minutes ago, ABSR said:

Yep.  So Allen has approximately 7,000 students

Westlake is 2,833 and LT is 3,212.  So those two would only be 6,045 if combined.

SLC is 2,786.

Speaking of combined/consolidated ISDs , I wonder what the Texas football landscape would have looked like today had some of the proposals in the late 80s and early 90s that resulted in Robin Hood been enacted? One of the which did get significant blowback was consolidating neighboring ISDs.      Think about that period with Lake Travis and Westlake.    LT was a 3A (now 4A) out in the sticks from Austin.  Westlake was a  4A(now 5A)….  This  might have been one area ripe for consolidating.   

Really there are some rural districts that should be consolidated.  Especially as some continue to lose enrollment and within miles of each other.