Evangelical Christians

Washpark

A white black raven cannot be a thing.  It's not a limiter of omnipotence.  It's nonsense - a meaningless combination of words.  Saying "God can [meaningless combination of words]," doesn't add meaning to those words.  It just makes the meaningless combination of words longer.

There was a good segment on NPR this afternoon about Red Letter Christians, christians who truly try to follow the word of Jesus like we have bitched about on here before. This means caring for the poor, the weak, those who seek refuge. They specifically oppose those evangelicals who support Trump, in particular those who follow the pile of dog-shit known as Jerry Falwell Jr.

http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2018/06/15/evangelicals-trump-red-letter-christians

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

There was a good segment on NPR this afternoon about Red Letter Christians, christians who truly try to follow the word of Jesus like we have bitched about on here before. This means caring for the poor, the weak, those who seek refuge. They specifically oppose those evangelicals who support Trump, in particular those who follow the pile of dog-shit known as Jerry Falwell Jr.

http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2018/06/15/evangelicals-trump-red-letter-christians

Attorney General Jeff Sessions quoted the Bible in defense of President Trump's immigration policy calling for the temporary separation of children from their parents. Sessions cites the command in Romans 13 to "obey the laws of the government because God has ordained the government for his purposes."

Reading a little farther along in Romans...

Romans 13

7 Pay to all what is due them—taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to whom revenue is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due.

Let's see, does Trump check any of those boxes? Nope, nope, nope, nope. The chapter goes on...

8 Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9 The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery; You shall not murder; You shall not steal; You shall not covet”; and any other commandment, are summed up in this word, “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore, love is the fulfilling of the law.

Fuck you, Sessions, you hypocrite. It's not surprising that you quoted from Romans, though, since you're working for Caesar. 

That Jesus sounds like a pussy libtard who doesn’t MAGA. Sad. Loser!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

But you see, this is wrong.  Almost no one in politics is urging anyone to be Christlike and especially not "evangelicals."  Maybe Y_w_h the vengeful God of the Old Testament, but not Christ.  Do you actually know anything about the teachings of Christ?

We are not talking about what you or I take away from the Bible and Christ's teachings.  We are talking about people who have their version of Christ floating around in their head, and that see this as potentially their last chance to impose their beliefs on everybody else. 

There's a reason why Sessions is out there thumping the Bible and trying to get these people to buy in to what he and the Trump administration are trying to sell us on as far as taking kids away from their asylum-seeking parents.

We are not talking about what you or I take away from the Bible and Christ's teachings.  We are talking about people who have their version of Christ floating around in their head, and that see this as potentially their last chance to impose their beliefs on everybody else. 
There's a reason why Sessions is out there thumping the Bible and trying to get these people to buy in to what he and the Trump administration are trying to sell us on as far as taking kids away from their asylum-seeking parents.

Faith used to justify evil.

These fuckers aren’t even original. They’re running plays from the dark ages.

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The only people actively trying to impose their kooky religious beliefs on others are liberals. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

The only people actively trying to impose their kooky religious beliefs on others are liberals. 

"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me"

Yeah. Fuckin kooky, man. Total whack-job shit.

26 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Agreed.  The wording of the post to which I replied kind of left a different impression.  I find that species of Christian rarely actually invokes Christ, because they couldn't find anything from Christ to support most of their positions.  They can find plenty in Jewish law, though.  I imagine God is exceeding wroth.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Agreed.  The wording of the post to which I replied kind of left a different impression.  I find that species of Christian rarely actually invokes Christ, because they couldn't find anything from Christ to support most of their positions.  They can find plenty in Jewish law, though.  I imagine God is exceeding wroth.

Sorry about that.  In their version of the Bible, you can't be alone with a woman you're not related to, and you have to call your wife "mother" or something.  And you can rest easy at night after trying to use the Bible to justify taking kids from their parents who were seeking asylum.

That's actually one of the most worrisome things about people like Pence and Sessions.  They can read the writing on the wall - they know with the the steady demographic changes, that the GOP could find itself on the short end of the stick unless it goes moderate.  Some of them may very well see Trump as their last chance to push certain things through.

Actually, this will separate the current younger generation from organized religion at an even faster pace than before.   Any moral kid would have to take a look at that and think to them self that "I don't want to be a part shit show of judgmental hypocrisy."   

And rightly so. The power of the early church was the fact that early Christians were acting, well, Christ-like...   

The New Testament revealed Jesus' two main commandments.  Matthew:

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

• Like 3

I've been reading up on the recent SBC Convention, it seems the Mike Pence speech caused a controversy at the convention.  Pence wasn't invited but requested a speaking slot. A vote was held to reject him but it failed. It seems like a the speech which was used to praise Trump turned off some others. It's really interesting to see the SBC distance themselves from the GOP and issue some resolutions regarding immigration, race, and sexism. It looks like the Baptists might join the late 20th century.

Edited by F250
  • Like 1

Man, you guys are reading a different Old Testament than I am. The Old Testament is decidedly pro-immigrant. Most of the heroes are immigrants and the language is strong and pretty clear to me. A government official using the passage in Romans - a teaching to the church on how to live peaceably in an often hostile and oppressive culture and within the bounds of an often hostile government -  to justify cruel treatment of foreigners is a profound perversion of the Gospel. It's a complex and messy issue with no ideal answers, but if anyone is going to bring the Bible into it, it seems like the whole counsel of God should be considered.

Deut 22:19 “Cursed is anyone who withholds justice from the foreigner, the fatherless or the widow.”

Jeremiah 7:3-8 This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Reform your ways and your actions, and I will let you live in this place. Do not trust in deceptive words and say, “This is the temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord!” If you really change your ways and your actions and deal with each other justly, if you do not oppress the foreigner, the fatherless or the widow and do not shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not follow other gods to your own harm, then I will let you live in this place, in the land I gave your ancestors for ever and ever. But look, you are trusting in deceptive words that are worthless.

Malachi 3:5 “So I will come to put you on trial. I will be quick to testify against sorcerers, adulterers and perjurers, against those who defraud laborers of their wages, who oppress the widows and the fatherless, and deprive the foreigners among you of justice, but do not fear me,” says the Lord Almighty.

More OT passages about immigrants:

Spoiler

Exodus 22:21 Do not mistreat or oppress a foreigner, for you were foreigners in Egypt.

Leviticus 19:33-34 ‘When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.

Leviticus 24:17-22 Do not deprive the foreigner or the fatherless of justice, or take the cloak of the widow as a pledge. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and the Lord your God redeemed you from there. That is why I command you to do this.

When you are harvesting in your field and you overlook a sheaf, do not go back to get it. Leave it for the foreigner, the fatherless and the widow, so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands. When you beat the olives from your trees, do not go over the branches a second time. Leave what remains for the foreigner, the fatherless and the widow. When you harvest the grapes in your vineyard, do not go over the vines again. Leave what remains for the foreigner, the fatherless and the widow. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt. That is why I command you to do this.

Deut. 6:10-12 When the Lord your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to give you—a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant—then when you eat and are satisfied, be careful that you do not forget the Lord, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

Deut 10:18-19 He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the foreigner residing among you, giving them food and clothing. And you are to love those who are foreigners, for you yourselves were foreigners in Egypt. 

Deut 14:28-29 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

Psalm 105:23 Then Israel entered Egypt; Jacob resided as a foreigner in the land of Ham.

Isaiah 16:3-4 Hide the fugitives, do not betray the refugees. Let the Moabite fugitives stay with you; be their shelter from the destroyer.”

Jeremiah 22:3 This is what the Lord says: Do what is just and right. Rescue from the hand of the oppressor the one who has been robbed. Do no wrong or violence to the foreigner, the fatherless or the widow, and do not shed innocent blood in this place.

Ezekiel 47:23 In whatever tribe a foreigner resides, there you are to give them their inheritance,” declares the Sovereign Lord.

Zechariah 7:8-10 And the word of the Lord came again to Zechariah: “This is what the Lord Almighty said: ‘Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the foreigner or the poor. Do not plot evil against each other.’

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

sea change

lordy, that's good news.  have to hope this is just the break-of-the-wave moment and we'll see the young take charge.  this is the sort of broad-scale change that i've been talking about.  any ideas we've had about hope may prove to be woefully short-sighted.  as i said the other day, the wicked are beyond saving, but the youth is getting an education we didn't get.  they may redefine who we are.

also, any who don't believe the politics in this nation is undergoing a major shift need to pay attention to what's happening with the baptists.  i don't think we are headed left except that way leads to center.

48 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Republicans, Likud, and radical Islamic terrorists aren't liberals. 

Obviously, Likud and Islamic Terrorists have no power to impose anything. 

There was a time when then entire country was christian. As in 100%, every single person, everybody loddy doddy. Naturally, given this hegemonic advantage, these evangelicals, when given the opportunity to write a constitution, wrote into it's first amendment "freedom of religion". Not freedom to practice christianity. Freedom for all religions of any kind. Total freedom.

Liberals are out of their minds. Getting Roseanne fired was hatefulness, not kindness. If a jewish baker doesn't want to bake a Nazi cake, they shouldn't have their entire life destroyed. If a muslim baker doesn't want to make a "Mohammed was a pedophile" cake, they shouldn't have their life destroyed. If you think this you are literally out of your mind. You stand for hate, not love. You are wrong and you should feel bad.

The human heart cries out for God. And when people turn away, they simply create new false idols. The most common one is government, and it's why people cling with such passionate irrationality to their crazy beliefs.

18 minutes ago, yaqdum said:

lordy, that's good news.  have to hope this is just the break-of-the-wave moment and we'll see the young take charge.  this is the sort of broad-scale change that i've been talking about.  any ideas we've had about hope may prove to be woefully short-sighted.  as i said the other day, the wicked are beyond saving, but the youth is getting an education we didn't get.  they may redefine who we are.

also, any who don't believe the politics in this nation is undergoing a major shift need to pay attention to what's happening with the baptists.  i don't think we are headed left except that way leads to center.

I hope it’s mostly because of the youth and the leadership changing, but the fact that they’ve had drops in attendance, membership, etc. makes me wary of their reasons why. 

39 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

There was a time when then entire country was christian. As in 100%, every single person, everybody loddy doddy.

TIL, that the Native Americans were Christian.  

I guess the Mormons are right.  Jesus did visit the Americas.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

TIL, that the Native Americans were Christian.  

I guess the Mormons are right.  Jesus did visit the Americas.  

TexasHammer must consider the colonial Jews Christian as well to get to that 100%.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

There was a time when then entire country was christian. As in 100%, every single person, everybody loddy doddy. Naturally, given this hegemonic advantage, these evangelicals, when given the opportunity to write a constitution, wrote into it's first amendment "freedom of religion". Not freedom to practice christianity. Freedom for all religions of any kind. Total freedom.

Liberals are out of their minds. Getting Roseanne fired was hatefulness, not kindness. If a jewish baker doesn't want to bake a Nazi cake, they shouldn't have their entire life destroyed. If a muslim baker doesn't want to make a "Mohammed was a pedophile" cake, they shouldn't have their life destroyed. If you think this you are literally out of your mind. You stand for hate, not love. You are wrong and you should feel bad.

The human heart cries out for God. And when people turn away, they simply create new false idols. The most common one is government, and it's why people cling with such passionate irrationality to their crazy beliefs.

You're equating gays with Nazis?

2 hours ago, yaqdum said:

I for one welcome our new Baptist comrades.  The best thing about Christianity is its message of love, compassion, and decency.  Hopefully more and more Christians will see the light and realize that the leaders they have supported do not stand for those same values.  It’s time to make up for those mistakes.  God will forgive, but it’s time to set things right.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I for one welcome our new Baptist comrades.  The best thing about Christianity is its message of love, compassion, and decency.  Hopefully more and more Christians will see the light and realize that the leaders they have supported do not stand for those same values.  It’s time to make up for those mistakes.  God will forgive, but it’s time to set things right.

abso-fuckin-lootly.

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

I for one welcome our new Baptist comrades.  The best thing about Christianity is its message of love, compassion, and decency.  

Someone has hijacked BrickHorn’s account and is making complimentary posts about Christianity.  When he finds out he’s going to be pissed. 

There was a time when then entire country was christian. As in 100%, every single person, everybody loddy doddy.

We like to party, we don’t cause trouble,
We don’t bother nobody, we’re
Just the men who rock the mic
And when we rock upon the mic we rock the mic right!
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I hope it’s mostly because of the youth and the leadership changing, but the fact that they’ve had drops in attendance, membership, etc. makes me wary of their reasons why. 

it's pretty much split down the generational divide.  the sbc members who were revolted and protesting against pence at the sbc were 50 and younger.  interestingly enough, a bunch of those pastors and their churches are affiliated with other networks (acts 29 for instance) even though they're still part of the sbc.  and if you asked that group, they would consider themselves evangelicals in the sense of prioritizing the preaching of the gospel. 

A white black raven cannot be a thing.  It's not a limiter of omnipotence.  It's nonsense - a meaningless combination of words.  Saying "God can [meaningless combination of words]," doesn't add meaning to those words.  It just makes the meaningless combination of words longer.

No, that’s just a failure of language.

9 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I grew up southern baptist. I’ll believe it when I see it. 

If you grew up Southern Baptist then you should know the significance of the election of Greear as President. Thirty years ago him and his church would probably have been kicked out of the SBC.

I think gsoda is on point, this is Gen X assuming control of the convention.

28 minutes ago, F250 said:

If you grew up Southern Baptist then you should know the significance of the election of Greear as President. Thirty years ago him and his church would probably have been kicked out of the SBC.

I think gsoda is on point, this is Gen X assuming control of the convention.

I hope you are right. And I don’t belong to the church anymore, don’t know this Greear guy from a hole in the wall. I’m saying that I’ve seen enough from the SBC in the past not to trust they are going to change until I actually see real change. Here’s hoping. 

The pastoral prayer and sermon today were all about the separated border children, and helping the oppressed. It would probably shock 90% in this forum. 

Happy Father’s Day to you dads. 

The pastoral prayer and sermon today were all about the separated border children, and helping the oppressed. It would probably shock 90% in this forum. 
Happy Father’s Day to you dads. 

What did you think about it?