• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

aggy would be another. Asking why they were the only legitimate national contender in the conference that was given an actual opponent (Florida) and not just two cupcakes.

Wait, are there any cupcakes in the SEC?  I have it in good authority from the respectable journalist at texags that every week in the SEC is a grind which is why they deserve the annual November FCS bye week which shouldn't hurt their strength of schedule.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Wait, are there any cupcakes in the SEC?  I have it in good authority from the respectable journalist at texags that every week in the SEC is a grind which is why they deserve the annual November FCS bye week which shouldn't hurt their strength of schedule.  

Aggy can’t recognize the cupcakes because they ARE the cupcake. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Aggy AD on budget cuts

“A&M does not receive subsidies from other sources such as the State of Texas”.

Not even a very slick lie. Bjerk seems to forget his athletic department has had to borrow millions from the academic side of the university multiple times to stay afloat, and still owes millions. Those funds originate from the Texas taxpayers.

But UT already knows he is a bald faced liar after his claim aggy was “all booked up until 2025” in response to the request to schedule Texas.

Edited by Armybrat

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Not even a very slick lie. Bjerk seems to forget his athletic department has had to borrow millions from the academic side of the university multiple times to stay afloat, and still owes millions. Those funds originate from the Texas taxpayers.

But UT already knows he is a bald faced liar after his claim aggy was “all booked up until 2025” in response to the request to schedule Texas.

Evidently the aggy AD doesn’t know how Kyle field was financed. Local tax revenue “gifted” to aggy athletics, “voluntary gifts” added to tuition bills, state funded transportation infrastructure. 

And then there are the direct “interest free loans” given aggy athletics by the academic side. 

7 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Since 2006, Texas A&M athletics has benefited from over $131.6 million in subsidies from the university and from local tax authorities. This does not include state highway spending on local College Station thoroughfares for infrastructure requirements related to aggy athletics facilities projects. I am talking about projects in College Station approved by the legislature as under-the-table subsidies to TAMU athletics.

2006-2009, a total of $16 million in a "non-interest loan" from the academic side that still remains outstanding as of 2020. 2012 - Another $5.2 million in a "non-interest loan" from the academic side that still remains outstanding as of 2020. 2013 - $75 million in direct subsidies from the university to aggy athletics (subsidy is paid as $4.9 million/yr over 15 years). 2013 - $36 million in direct tax subsidies (paid from local hotel and tax revenues).

$131.6 million in direct subsidies, with continued subsidies of at least $6 mil/yr extending out well past the end of the next decade.

Here is my prediction - by the end of the 2020/2021 TAMU fiscal year (Aug 31, 2021), aggy athletics will surpass the $200 million mark in public subsidies (state and local funds) since 2006 (if you want, you can claim 2006 to be "when scholarship limits were first introduced." aggys pick dates with no clue about the actual significance of the chosen date. We will play by their rules on this one.)

Now, want to compare that to how other schools are subsidizing their athletics departments? Or how some athletics departments are actually subsidizing the academic side?

University administrators hope to raise $4.9 million annually, up to a total of $75 million, to help pay for a $425 million renovation for Kyle Field. Loftin floated the idea of increasing fees to a select group of student leaders in January.

University administrators plan to transform the 85-year-old stadium into the largest in Texas and one of the largest in the world. Final plans for the stadium have not been released, but officials estimate the stadium will seat between 95,000 and 102,500. The Kyle Field renovation is estimated for completion in 2015, with construction scheduled to take place in off-seasons beginning in November 2013.

To help materialize their dreams, university and system officials have solicited $36 million from a countywide hotel tax increase and reserve hotel tax funds from College Station.

https://theeagle.com/news/local/aggies-to-vote-on-fee-hikes-to-help-kyle-field/article_cffe2cf0-eb74-594b-aeab-90a9c74d5d41.html

Edited by Randolph Duke

On 8/14/2020 at 1:24 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

They could raise a shit ton by selling squares of their sacred grass.  You know there's Aggies out there they would brag.  "My whole lawn was propagated from a single square of fightin Texas Aggy memorial sod, man.  I tear up every time I look at it! "

But they wouldn’t be able walk on it.  

What am I thinking?   They are aggy so they wouldn’t care.  

I hope people never lose sight of the true cost of political cronyism and political corruption.

The people of Texas deserve better than Texas A&M.

"The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has approved the creation of a $91 million influenza-vaccine manufacturing facility in a joint venture between the Texas A&M University System and GlaxoSmithKline in what Chancellor John Sharp described Tuesday as “one of the most significant developments ever in the state of Texas.”

The facility will speed up the research, development and delivery of vaccines and therapeutics in cases of pandemics or other national emergencies.

The center would also supply preventive vaccine for pandemic influenza, and, once it’s up and running, will be able to supply 50 million vaccine doses within four months of receiving a strain of the flu, with initial doses ready in 12 weeks.

The facility will anchor the Center for Innovation in Advanced Development and Manufacturing in Bryan-College Station, establishing what Sharp characterized as “third coast biopharmaceuticals.” A&M is home to one of only three so-called CIADMS being created in the nation.

“It’s a game-changer not just for Texas but for folks everywhere,” Sharp said at a morning news conference with Gov. Rick Perry to announce the effort.

Perry said the center would bring more than $41 billion in in-state expenditures over the next 25 years and directly and indirectly create more than 6,800 jobs.

“More importantly there will be lives that will be saved around the world because of what is happening in the state of Texas,” said Perry."

https://www.statesman.com/article/20130326/NEWS/303269670

On 8/15/2020 at 5:08 PM, Randolph Duke said:

I hope people never lose sight of the true cost of political cronyism and political corruption.

The people of Texas deserve better than Texas A&M.

"The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has approved the creation of a $91 million influenza-vaccine manufacturing facility in a joint venture between the Texas A&M University System and GlaxoSmithKline in what Chancellor John Sharp described Tuesday as “one of the most significant developments ever in the state of Texas.”

The facility will speed up the research, development and delivery of vaccines and therapeutics in cases of pandemics or other national emergencies.

The center would also supply preventive vaccine for pandemic influenza, and, once it’s up and running, will be able to supply 50 million vaccine doses within four months of receiving a strain of the flu, with initial doses ready in 12 weeks.

The facility will anchor the Center for Innovation in Advanced Development and Manufacturing in Bryan-College Station, establishing what Sharp characterized as “third coast biopharmaceuticals.” A&M is home to one of only three so-called CIADMS being created in the nation.

“It’s a game-changer not just for Texas but for folks everywhere,” Sharp said at a morning news conference with Gov. Rick Perry to announce the effort.

Perry said the center would bring more than $41 billion in in-state expenditures over the next 25 years and directly and indirectly create more than 6,800 jobs.

“More importantly there will be lives that will be saved around the world because of what is happening in the state of Texas,” said Perry."

https://www.statesman.com/article/20130326/NEWS/303269670

Wtf happened with this and all that $$?? GlaxoSmithKline back out or what?

2 hours ago, PW119 said:

Fuck Herbie. He doesn’t have the balls to say this on-air. Yet calls us a “cesspool” from GameDay / College Station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe-- just maybe-- he's finally been blackpilled on A&M. He's certainly made his share of really stupid, credulous pro-A&M picks over the years and looked reliably dumb living with the consequences. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Herbie's lack of self-awareness is impressive, but not surprising and more than a little bit aggy-like.

Herbie seems like a guy that would love boot slidin and jizz jarring and whooping.  He already has the Corps turd haircut.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, jTower said:

Army, Texas A&M develop 'Terminator'-style material that can 'heal itself'

Never change aggy. I’ll look forward RD’s detail debunking and a financial analysis of the wasted expense suffered by the taxpayers of Texas  

Amazing. There’s been self healing rubber material for decades. 

One of my all-time favorites that never shows up in any of the aggy versions of SEC history.

The SEC approached Deloss about becoming conference commissions shortly after Texas turned down the SEC for membership.

I'm trying to find more info on the story surrounding the SEC's failed attempt to get Texas to join. Its not a well-documented story.

One aspect of that chapter is the decades of animosity Arky felt toward TCU (no, it wasn't animosity with Texas that caused Arky to bolt).

The first signs of hard feelings surfaced in the late 1940s in the form of a heated personal rivalry between football coaches Dutch Meyer of TCU and John Barnhill of Arkansas. The Razorbacks began to dominate once-powerful TCU, hastening the Horned Frogs' fall to the bottom of the SWC. Arkansas beat TCU 22 consecutive seasons from 1959 through 1980. Razorbacks coach Frank Broyles acknowledged the old rivalry every Monday following a victory over TCU, by giving Barnhill, then his athletic director, a cat-that-ate-the-canary grin.

The tension between Arkansas and the rest of the SWC heightened 10 years ago during the tenures of Razorbacks basketball coach Eddie Sutton and football coach Lou Holtz. Both complained bitterly about SWC rules prohibiting officials from Arkansas working Razorbacks games, but allowing officials from Texas to work in any SWC game. The rule was changed only a few years ago.

The good times of the Razorbacks' relationship with the SWC never seemed to heal the wounds of the bad times. Broyles admits he began looking for a way out a long time ago.

deloss sec commissioner.jpeg

Edited by Randolph Duke

On 8/18/2020 at 6:30 AM, PW119 said:

Fuck Herbie. He doesn’t have the balls to say this on-air. Yet calls us a “cesspool” from GameDay / College Station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. I almost made a comment that that video made me realize that I hate Herbstreit more than aggy. 

I mean, shit. I wouldn't even say I hate aggy. They don't win enough. I HATE OU. aggy is annoying and fun to make fun of but it's like picking on the special kid.

Also, although people love to tell the story that Texas and Nebraska were at odds over Prop 48, the Prop 48 issue was far bigger than just those two schools.

As originally passed in 1983, Bylaw 5-1-(j) (known as "Proposition 48") allowed aid to be given to high school seniors who had an overall 2.0 GPA, but otherwise didn't qualify under Proposition 48 standards. The student-athletes, with or without aid, also were ineligible to participate in varsity practice or play until their sophomore year.

In Jan 1989 (effective 1990-1991 school year) incoming freshman student athletes needed to have a 2.0 on core high school classes and a 700 SAT to receive an athletic scholarship. The tightening of that rule was initiated by (don't laugh) the SEC. The athletes with lower grades/ scores were still eligible to play, but not to receive financial aid from the school.

Baylor, U of H and Arky were the three SWC schools that voted against tighter Prop 48 rules in 1989.

The end of Prop 48 was carved in stone well before the Big 12 was ever contemplated.

30 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

One of my all-time favorites that never shows up in any of the aggy versions of SEC history.

The SEC approached Deloss about becoming conference commissions shortly after Texas turned down the SEC for membership.

I'm trying to find more info on the story surrounding the SEC's failed attempt to get Texas to join. Its not a well-documented story.

One aspect of that chapter is the decades of animosity Arky felt toward TCU (no, it wasn't animosity with Texas that caused Arky to bolt).

deloss sec commissioner.jpeg

Tom Penders  tweeted about being in a coaches presentation from the SEC.  All the major coaches were in favor of leaving.  Politics kept us from going. 

Edited by Chicken fried bacon

9 minutes ago, Chicken fried bacon said:

Tom Penders  tweeted about being in a coaches presentation from the SEC.  All the major coaches were in favor of leaving.  Politics kept us from going. 

If you believe Paul Finebaum, it wasn’t “politics,” it was Texas A&M going apeshit that Texas was negotiating a deal and not including A&M in the deal, also. 

https://www.al.com/press-register-sports/2010/04/finebaum_how_texas_nearly_join.html

10 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

If you believe Paul Finebaum, it wasn’t “politics,” it was Texas A&M going apeshit that Texas was negotiating a deal and not including A&M in the deal, also. 

https://www.al.com/press-register-sports/2010/04/finebaum_how_texas_nearly_join.html

How is that NOT politics?

• Like 1

Texas Tribune had an article this morning about the pressure Texas professors are getting from their chancellors/presidents to have in-person and not online courses, regardless of health risks or family situations. 

aggy was featured as basically applying the most pressure and being completely uncompromising (so far anyway).

this quote from Sharp: "You can get a degree online, but it's very hard to become an Aggie online."...i just thought wow, how aggy is that? forget the education, it's all about the brainwashing 😐

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

How is that NOT politics?

If one defines "politics" are governance, then it isn't (for reasons spelled out below). If you believe politics to be "power exerted over the masses" then it would have been politics.

No one in their right mind in the state legislature was every going to withhold financing for the entire University of Texas System because Deloss Dodds negotiated a deal for Texas to join the SEC and in doing so, purposely excluded Texas A&M from the change in conference affiliation.

Texas A&M is the result of some very bad political decisions made since before the end of Reconstruction. Few non-aggys believe the state is better off because of Texas A&M. It isn't. Mostly because Texas A&M always placed culture above principles.

The considerations we make to Texas A&M today, at every level of Texas society, are to keep them from embarrassing the people of Texas and to maintain their long-established place as the state's trade school. There is no interest on trying to govern Texas A&M. A&M has always been pretty much left alone to promote aggy culture and have others pay for doing so (all comically in the name of "conservative" government principles).

Currently, aggy insists on maintaining their shrine to a man whose own daughter explained his main motivation for murdering people of color was his belief in white supremacy. That's not political, its outright racist. Evidently the decision on whether the shrine to A&M's "gallant negro killer" is being kicked up to the state legislature. Will a vote on the shrine to that human piece of shit be driven by interests of governance, or entirely along racist cultural demands?

Texas A&M did their "Fredo" imitation in the late 1980s and started crying to all who would listen because Texas was leaving for the SEC without them. They asked the legislature to prevent Texas from abandoning poor Fredo. The eventual resolution wasn't along political considerations. It was made upon racist considerations. Had the matter been put before the legislature, there was no way it would have passed. So, resorting to considerations of good governance would have been against aggy's interests. 

Ever since the day they asked Jefferson Davis to lead the institution, Texas A&M has been left to the most virulent racists in Texas. Which is how Sul Ross ended up there. Prior to WWII, Texas A&M openly promoted local Klan rallies during A&M football games. in the 1950s, weeks after the Supreme Court handed down its ruling on Brown v Board, the aggy student body held a vote to remain segregated, making clear their choice not to abide by the law and to remain a virulently racist organization. Stop and think about the aggys demanding they give admissions preference to white legacy applicants. Their on-campus alumni/faculty Klan robe collection. Flash forward to the decision to maintain their shrine to white supremacy of today. Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Were those decisions political? No, they were made to maintain social cooperation between the racists and the rest of the state. The racists being inextricably linked with the institution where their particular style of racism is "perpetuated today, perpetuated tomorrow, and perpetuated forever" - Texas A&M.

The ags bleat about how the Morrill Act dictated A&M had to be a military academy. But they never mention why the same Morrill Act didn't require the blacks at Prairie View also be taught military tactics (cough*racism*cough). The ags bleat about about being "the wealthiest public university in the universe" because of the money they receive due to their status as a branch of UT. But they never explain how all $13 billion of that branch college money went to the white branch college, and absolutely none went to the black branch college (cough*racism*cough). And the people are ok with these blatant examples of racism because of political considerations? Of course not.

Far more often than not, any decision made by the people of the state of Texas regarding A&M has been made on cultural considerations, which transcend political considerations. We have seen how the relative positions of the two major political parties have flipped through time. The cultural considerations are what haven't changed. Plus, those who are motivated by cultural considerations such as racism often go outside of political channels. Which is why cultural considerations triumph over political considerations.