The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Explain the difference to me like I’m a five year old.

In a .357 chambered gun, you can shoot either round.  But in a gun chambered for .38, you are limited to only .38.   

.357 is a more powerful round. Not uncommon for people to “plink” with the .38’s then keep the .357 rounds in for go time.    There’s a considerable amount of recoil difference between the two rounds. 

https://aliengearholsters.com/blog/can-a-38-special-shoot-357/

• Like 1

Just now, fattyflattie said:

In a .357 chambered gun, you can shoot either round.  But in a gun chambered for .38, you are limited to only .38.   

.357 is a more powerful round. Not uncommon for people to “plink” with the .38’s then keep the .357 rounds in for go time.    There’s a considerable amount of recoil difference between the two rounds. 

So more kick and stopping power with the .357?  I was going with the 38 because people said it would be easier for the wife to handle.  It will still kill someone who needs to be killed, yes?  I literally know next to nothing about this shit.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

So more kick and stopping power with the .357?  I was going with the 38 because people said it would be easier for the wife to handle.  It will still kill someone who needs to be killed, yes?  I literally know next to nothing about this shit.

Yes. A 38 will be easier to shoot for everyone and will kill the shit out of someone. It’s not by any means anemic. 

• Hook 'Em 2

@conVINCEd to reiterate just to be clear.  

A .38 is a very legitimate, lethal round. It’s not a slouch at all.  I just want to make sure I didn’t give that impression.   I travel ALOT and that’s the only one wife feels comfortable with while I’m gone, almost exactly what you posted. Just a different make. Same caliber and barrel length. She likes the simplicity, no safety. Just point and pull, as @CHIEFnoteed upthread. 

33 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes. A 38 will be easier to shoot for everyone and will kill the shit out of someone. It’s not by any means anemic. 

I get what you are saying, but have a follow up question.  If I buy the .357 and use 38 ammo, will it behave just like the 38?  Is it the ammo that solely determines how much recoil there is?

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Is this surly approved?

70CE5B6E-B634-4D2C-96A8-EE426CC580E0.png

That's the exact same gun Mrs. CHIEF has. The recommendation came from a friend that is a CCL instructor and gun range owner. I looked at a "Judge" and the same pistol in a .357. He said that after shooting those, that she would just as soon be raped or assaulted. She is proficient at 10 feet, just like Ray Charles. It doesn't have the knockdown power of a .357, but is easy enough to shoot that she isn't hesitant to pull the trigger.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

That's the exact same gun Mrs. CHIEF has. The recommendation came from a friend that is a CCL instructor and gun range owner. I looked at a "Judge" and the same pistol in a .357. He said that after shooting those, that she would just as soon be raped or assaulted. She is proficient at 10 feet, just like Ray Charles. It doesn't have the knockdown power of a .357, but is easy enough to shoot that she isn't hesitant to pull the trigger.

CHIEF

Good review relevant to my concerns.  Thanks.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I get what you are saying, but have a follow up question.  If I buy the .357 and use 38 ammo, will it behave just like the 38?  Is it the ammo that solely determines how much recoil there is?

Yes.  They firearms are probably within an ounce of each other, if not exact same.   That’s the only reason I suggested the .357.  Just in case you get into it some, you kinda have 2 guns in 1 scenario.    

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes.  They firearms are probably within an ounce of each other, if not exact same.   That’s the only reason I suggested the .357.  Just in case you get into it some, you kinda have 2 guns in 1 scenario.    

The problem, right now is finding this in a .357, and the price difference. Magnum pistols are at a premium. I agree wholeheartedly with getting a .357 and shooting .38 Special, if you can find one that doesn't cost half again as much. It was $200 difference and a wait when I bought the .38.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Is this surly approved?

70CE5B6E-B634-4D2C-96A8-EE426CC580E0.png

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

My thoughts, and it could be completely wrong because I’m a long arm guy.  I’ve always done better with heavier, mid length barrel revolvers.  The others are too snappy for me.   But as far was S&W, I don’t think you’ll find anyone except the strongest of Colt guys who’ll not approve of it.  But there are experts in handguns here, and I am not one. 

Me neither, but here’s my justification for the Gov/Judge recommendation:

1)  This pistol is being purchased specifically for a defensive scenario in the home. That’s a one-shot, don’t miss situation. 

2) a 410 revolver is the most forgiving and safest option for a shaky, scared person who has to make the first/only shot count. 

3) this isn’t for the range, so weight/size aren’t crucial.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

The problem, right now is finding this in a .357, and the price difference. Magnum pistols are at a premium. I agree wholeheartedly with getting a .357 and shooting .38 Special, if you can find one that doesn't cost half again as much. It was $200 difference and a wait when I bought the .38.

CHIEF

I’m not gonna chase a unicorn or pay a bunch of extra money.  Thanks for the availability info, that likely settles it in my mind.

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

A .357 round is just a smidge longer than a .38 Special and is rated for higher pressures so they can pack more powder in it and as a result get higher velocities or use a heavier bullet for the same velocity. A .357 can shoot a .38 just fine because it is the same round, only slightly shorter and weaker. A .38 is not rated to withstand the higher pressure of a .357 and will generally have chambers too short to accept one.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/11/2021 at 9:36 AM, BabaYaga said:

If you like leather, the SOB Condom is amazing.  Former CAG operator is the owner.  Was mentioned by Dalton Fury in his Tora Bora books as he was one of the operators up on the mountain during the entire operation.  

SOB Holsters

PSA, if my recent experience is any judge, there is about a 5 month wait time on SOB holsters.  Ordered an IWB for my P228 in late February 2021; received the holster the first week of August.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

@conVINCEd this explains better than I could.  I wasn’t aware of the price/availability deltas.  Can’t go wrong.  

I don’t disagree with @Bozo_Casanova last post either, but I’m not certain I, personally, could ever purchase the Taurus. 

Agree about getting the .357, but I can tell you from first hand experience, a .357 out of a snubbie SUCKS to shoot more than a few times.  I'd suggest shooting gloves as well.  Snappy little shits.  

17 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Agree about getting the .357, but I can tell you from first hand experience, a .357 out of a snubbie SUCKS to shoot more than a few times.  I'd suggest shooting gloves as well.  Snappy little shits.  

When I first got into guns, I bought me a 4" 357 magnum S&W 686. Thought it was cool and macho but I couldn't shoot it worth shit no matter how much I practiced..

Can shoot 38 pretty well, but the 357 is just a pain in the ass and I've quit trying to shoot that gun. Much prefer 45 ACP if I need a bigger handgun than 9mm. 

Come at me bro, I know I'm being a weak loser poser and I don't care.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

When I first got into guns, I bought me a 4" 357 magnum S&W 686. Thought it was cool and macho but I couldn't shoot it worth shit no matter how much I practiced..

Can shoot 38 pretty well, but the 357 is just a pain in the ass and I've quit trying to shoot that gun. Much prefer 45 ACP if I need a bigger handgun than 9mm. 

Come at me bro, I know I'm being a weak loser poser and I don't care.

Same.  My main .45acp is my 1911.  Heavier frame+1911 trigger = MUCH easier to shoot.  But it's heavy, so it lives in the nightstand for home defense or it's OWB, open carry in hog country or in thick brush.  

• Like 1

Also, and I am requesting dumb question amnesty here, is no safety really a selling point?  We have no kids, so no concerns there, but it seems to me that having a safety on a gun is probably a good idea.  I’m asking because my sister’s kids are currently destroying my house and if there was a gun in the nightstand they could 100% get it while I wasn’t paying attention for 15 seconds.  I guess the answer is that I put the gun up when they will be staying here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Also, and I am requesting dumb question amnesty here, is no safety really a selling point?  We have no kids, so no concerns there, but it seems to me that having a safety on a gun is probably a good idea.  I’m asking because my sister’s kids are currently destroying my house and if there was a gun in the nightstand they could 100% get it while I wasn’t paying attention for 15 seconds.  I guess the answer is that I put the gun up when they will be staying here.

Talking polymer semi's or hammerless wheel guns?  They have safety mechanisms, they are just not external.  The trigger is the safety for most.  The technology has advanced to the point that they are harmless as long as your finger it outside the trigger guard.  

Get a biometric nightstand safe.  Same proven tech you use to open your older cell phones.  The lack of an external safety makes them easier to point and shoot and not fumble around with the gun.  They are actually safer for the user if there was a confrontation.  Some have safety mechanisms that are more overt, like this S&W (which I really like).  See that little "fin" on the back of the grip, to the left of pic.  Cocked and loaded, the trigger will not fire until you grip the pistol, and the fin depresses into your hand.  Just like a 1911.  The one in the pic also has an external safety feature as well by the serrations on the back of the slide.  This is optional.  

Or look at the other pic, same gun basically with no external safety features - just point and shoot

SMW12436__28917.1607351663.jpg?c=2

Smith-Wesson-M-P-M2-0-9mm-4-25-17-1-Blac

Edited by BabaYaga

21 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The safety on a double action revolver is the hammer being down in double action mode - You have to put enough pressure on the trigger to cock the hammer back and then more pressure to release the hammer to fire.  There isn't a safety to flip per se, but one doesn't accidentally discharge a double action revolver.  It has to be a deliberate act to fully pull the trigger.

That said, this doesn't preclude a child from willingly pulling the trigger without knowledge of the consequences.  In the hands of a child without training and supervision, no loaded gun is "safe".  They can just as easily flip off a safety on a semi-automatic and pull the trigger as they could fire a double action revolver by fully engaging the trigger.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Same.  My main .45acp is my 1911.  Heavier frame+1911 trigger = MUCH easier to shoot.  But it's heavy, so it lives in the nightstand for home defense or it's OWB, open carry in hog country or in thick brush.  

My favorite handgun I own is a totally impractical Sig P320 full size in 45 ACP. Goddam hand cannon that holds 10+1 rounds. It's too big to be concealed on the body or in the car, but damn it's a sweet gun to shoot. You feel like a movie star just blasting away with that thing. Also fits into my big mitts perfectly. 

FYI - Because I'm still nouveau riche and spend too much money on toys, I'm seriously kicking around the idea of a Wilson 1911 in 45. Totally unnecessary but just feels really cool. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, crimsonlonghorn said:

My favorite handgun I own is a totally impractical Sig P320 full size in 45 ACP. Goddam hand cannon that holds 10+1 rounds. It's too big to be concealed on the body or in the car, but damn it's a sweet gun to shoot. You feel like a movie star just blasting away with that thing. Also fits into my big mitts perfectly. 

FYI - Because I'm still nouveau riche and spend too much money on toys, I'm seriously kicking around the idea of a Wilson 1911 in 45. Totally unnecessary but just feels really cool. 

Nice, my other .45 is my P220.  It's also a big, boxy thing with a metal frame.  1911's are addictive.  I just love my old Sigs and they perform flawlessly.  The trigger on the 1911 is tough to beat and follow up shots are crisp.  

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

get the Dan Wesson Valor, save some bucks and you'll be quite pleased

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

No kidding.  A few years ago I was "plinking" with a friends .357 with .38's. He reloaded it for me and slipped one .357 in just for fun. Darn near put the hammer in my forehead from the unexpected recoil.

23 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Good review relevant to my concerns.  Thanks.

Buy the .38 and load it with good quality personal defense +P rounds.

My wife's bedside pistol is a S&W model 60 stainless.  It was my father's backup pistol when he was a street cop.  She is recoil sensitive and she can turn you from a rooster to a hen in one shot with the thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

Buy the .38 and load it with good quality personal defense +P rounds.

My wife's bedside pistol is a S&W model 60 stainless.  It was my father's backup pistol when he was a street cop.  She is recoil sensitive and she can turn you from a rooster to a hen in one shot with the thing.

BTW, have any of you flinched at the thought of putting a loaded gun in the nightstand?  She gets mad every now and then.

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

BTW, have any of you flinched at the thought of putting a loaded gun in the nightstand?  She gets mad every now and then.

No but all the insensitive dumb shit I ever did passed through my mind for a moment when she really took to shooting. I taught her from the first time ever. And she’s gotten good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So 1 of my suppressors came in.
Ordered 2 in Dec. still waiting on the second. Picked it up Sat.
Now im lookin for a 300 blackout ar with subsonic ammo .
Anyone lookin to offload 1?

The good-ish news is that 300blk ammo is finally coming down.

Subs are going for $1-1.50 ppr

I actually let my son shoot some of his subs this past weekend because of it. It was his first time to hog hunt at night and to use subs. Even though he wasn’t patient enough to snag a hog he had a blast night shooting
  • Like 3

So I also added the DeadAir Ebrakes to my Sandman cans and while both were shooting subs, the first shot pops were slightly less and the flash was mitigated pretty nicely.

Here is the 300blk
1st shot thru Sandman-K
3f8f110ad2bf41377ae2366e7ea902cd.jpg

And 2nd shot
fcaca469d3335f8a2fa971da670106c4.jpg

And then the only shot you could see from my Galil 7.62x39
1st shot through Sandman-S
78d1f96ea5118daaf9ac70e3bf74dab1.jpg

No but all the insensitive dumb shit I ever did passed through my mind for a moment when she really took to shooting. I taught her from the first time ever. And she’s gotten good. 

Yep. Taught my wife to shoot a handgun on a ranch weekend before we even got married. Realized quickly that she was a better pistol shot than I was.

Have taken that fact into account a few times over the years, as appropriate.
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 10:05 PM, conVINCEd said:

You need to take at least one class before you buy anything

On 8/16/2021 at 10:06 AM, conVINCEd said:

Buy a safe. Buy a biometric safe for fast access. Take a gun safety course. Start with Eddie Eagle if you have to: https://eddieeagle.nra.org/

you're giving me the heebie jeebies