Nancy Pelosi is a badass MF and I want her to be Speaker

Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nancy is either tipping quite a few back at Ol Ebbetts every day or she's starting to develop dementia. Listening to her speak is painful.

I'm not sure you should be the one to accuse a politician of dementia when Trump has clearly had it since before the election and it never stopped you from supporting him.

Dems too scared to impeach.  They'd rather hope there is a stock market correction and flip a coin on the presidency.

Guys like my guy Colin Allred in Dallas realizing that they are going to always have tough races against Republicans.  In fairness, even though I voted for Allred to impeach, I have to admit he ran on healthcare, not impeachment.

Fucking gutless republicans who aren't willing to run....to me that's the bigger outrage.  (Pinche Ted Cruz notwithstanding - fuck that guy.)

Meanwhile I think Weld is going from speaking at New Hampshire diners to speaking at New Hampshire VFW Halls.

weld2020-300x252.jpg

This is who leads the Democrats today.....but the base is easily distracted by Trump Trump Trump. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/opinion/california-housing-nimby.html

Just look at San Francisco, Nancy Pelosi’s city. One of every 11,600 residents is a billionaire, and the annual household income necessary to buy a median-priced home now tops $320,000. Yet the streets there are a plague of garbage and needles and feces, and every morning brings fresh horror stories from a “Black Mirror” hellscape: Homeless veterans are surviving on an economy of trash from billionaires’ mansions. Wealthy homeowners are crowdfunding a legal effort arguing that a proposed homeless shelter is an environmental hazard. A public-school teacher suffering from cancer is forced to pay for her own substitute.

Witness last week’s embarrassment, when California lawmakers used a sketchy parliamentary maneuver to knife Senate Bill 50, an ambitious effort to undo restrictive local zoning rules and increase the supply of housing.

It was another chapter in a dismal saga of Nimbyist urban mismanagement that is crushing American cities. Not-in-my-backyardism is a bipartisan sentiment, but because the largest American cities are populated and run by Democrats — many in states under complete Democratic control — this sort of nakedly exclusionary urban restrictionism is a particular shame of the left.

Yet where progressives argue for openness and inclusion as a cudgel against President Trump, they abandon it on Nob Hill and in Beverly Hills. This explains the opposition to SB 50, which aimed to address the housing shortage in a very straightforward way: by building more housing. The bill would have erased single-family zoning in populous areas near transit locations. Areas zoned for homes housing a handful of people could have been redeveloped to include duplexes and apartment buildings that housed hundreds.

Nope. Instead, Anthony Portantino, a Democratic state senator whose district includes the posh city of La Cañada Flintridge and who heads the appropriations committee, announced that he’d be shelving the bill until next year. In an interview with The Los Angeles Times, he worried that the law would spur lots of people to move near residential bus routes, which he suggested would alter the character of enclaves like his.

“We’re saying we welcome immigration, we welcome refugees, we welcome outsiders — but you’ve got to have a $2 million entrance fee to live here, otherwise you can use this part of a sidewalk for a tent,” said Brian Hanlon, president of the pro-density group California Yimby. “That to me is not being very welcoming. It’s not being very neighborly.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

This is who leads the Democrats today.....but the base is easily distracted by Trump Trump Trump. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/opinion/california-housing-nimby.html

Just look at San Francisco, Nancy Pelosi’s city. One of every 11,600 residents is a billionaire, and the annual household income necessary to buy a median-priced home now tops $320,000. Yet the streets there are a plague of garbage and needles and feces, and every morning brings fresh horror stories from a “Black Mirror” hellscape: Homeless veterans are surviving on an economy of trash from billionaires’ mansions. Wealthy homeowners are crowdfunding a legal effort arguing that a proposed homeless shelter is an environmental hazard. A public-school teacher suffering from cancer is forced to pay for her own substitute.

Witness last week’s embarrassment, when California lawmakers used a sketchy parliamentary maneuver to knife Senate Bill 50, an ambitious effort to undo restrictive local zoning rules and increase the supply of housing.

It was another chapter in a dismal saga of Nimbyist urban mismanagement that is crushing American cities. Not-in-my-backyardism is a bipartisan sentiment, but because the largest American cities are populated and run by Democrats — many in states under complete Democratic control — this sort of nakedly exclusionary urban restrictionism is a particular shame of the left.

Yet where progressives argue for openness and inclusion as a cudgel against President Trump, they abandon it on Nob Hill and in Beverly Hills. This explains the opposition to SB 50, which aimed to address the housing shortage in a very straightforward way: by building more housing. The bill would have erased single-family zoning in populous areas near transit locations. Areas zoned for homes housing a handful of people could have been redeveloped to include duplexes and apartment buildings that housed hundreds.

Nope. Instead, Anthony Portantino, a Democratic state senator whose district includes the posh city of La Cañada Flintridge and who heads the appropriations committee, announced that he’d be shelving the bill until next year. In an interview with The Los Angeles Times, he worried that the law would spur lots of people to move near residential bus routes, which he suggested would alter the character of enclaves like his.

“We’re saying we welcome immigration, we welcome refugees, we welcome outsiders — but you’ve got to have a $2 million entrance fee to live here, otherwise you can use this part of a sidewalk for a tent,” said Brian Hanlon, president of the pro-density group California Yimby. “That to me is not being very welcoming. It’s not being very neighborly.”

I didn't realize Pelosi is a state legislator.  Someone should tell her.

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I think she’s trying to make him publicly snap.

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

No reason to impeach, he’s going to self implode. Just let it hang over his head 

She is playing him hard.  I didn't think he'd fall for it so easy, but she's driving him crazy while saying very little.

9 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nancy is either tipping quite a few back at Ol Ebbetts every day or she's starting to develop dementia. Listening to her speak is painful.

Fake news! 

On 5/22/2019 at 6:43 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Go home Nancy. You’re drunk

It's funny to see some of the biggest trolls in the cloakroom getting clowned by their own "news" sources.   

So guys, is better to be a BOT or be manipulated by a BOT?

Edited by Loco

I don’t understand the need to get the impeachment failure over so quickly. You try, fail, then that pressure is off, and Trump goes back to slinging red meat nonstop. Right now he has to flail about threatening to investigate the investigators, declassifying CIA processes that shouldn’t be and otherwise pissing off all but the brain dead. 

But the b_ts of the world need their golden egg-laying goose right now(!), so here we are, arguing with the instant gratification folks instead of keeping the heat squarely on a senile, functional mentally challenged, despicable racist who can end the world if he sees no other way out.

21 minutes ago, softlynow said:

don’t understand the need to get the impeachment failure over so quickly.

It’s not about getting it over quickly.  It’s about starting the process.  The process could take a year with the way the administration is stonewalling.  

I believe the democrats will start the process eventually but they are stalling for maximum damage on Republicans.  Until they start the process, they look weak and political because the facts and evidence all but demand Trump to be impeached and removed.  They’ve already blown so many opportunities as far as demanding public hearings and presenting evidence.  Meanwhile Trump has concentrated and consolidated more power. 

You can already see some GOP Senators getting nervous with Amash coming out and the Dems dragging their feet.  They’re nervous because they can’t make good political calculations unless they know about the impeachment question.  My Senator was calling out Dems for not urinating or getting off the pot this week.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

21 minutes ago, softlynow said:

I don’t understand the need to get the impeachment failure over so quickly. You try, fail, then that pressure is off, and Trump goes back to slinging red meat nonstop. Right now he has to flail about threatening to investigate the investigators, declassifying CIA processes that shouldn’t be and otherwise pissing off all but the brain dead. 

But the b_ts of the world need their golden egg-laying goose right now(!), so here we are, arguing with the instant gratification folks instead of keeping the heat squarely on a senile, functional mentally challenged, despicable racist who can end the world if he sees no other way out.

I would say let it hang out there.  Don’t go through with it right this minute, but start slow-rolling things (with the current investigations) and keep it as an option down the road.  Let the GOP worry that Dotard might do something so egregious (war with Iran, etc.) that it would flip enough Senators to put the Senate into play on the impeachment/conviction front.  Let it hang over Dotard’s head as well.   Make the GOP and Dotard have to Instantly attack any Senator who looks to be wavering.  Make them eat their own, because once they go down that road, it’s hard to recover in time for November of next year.   Think what hey are doing to Amash, but on a bigger scale.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

And that’s what is currently happening - Impeachment In All But Name.

And, again, words of wisdom from a - gasp! Republican -

It’s a damn good week. Trump’s strategy is flawed, his decisions are leading him deeper into the political mire. The arc of this story is moving the right direction. Keep doing the things that work, Democrats. Impeachment is the end goal, not the first step, and you’re closing in.

The whole article is worth the read.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/pelosis-strategy-is-working-and-trump-is-one-step-closer-to-being-fcked

And I’m sure BT will jump in with some snark - typed in italics, with some of these ~~~~ thrown in - to sneer about shitlibs and dismiss out of hand anything written by a Republican whilst setting the thread on fire in outrage.

So someone get a fire extinguisher and some Halicon as a prophylactic measure.

• Like 1

Why the hell would I care about what Rick Wilson, or any Republican, has to say? Is he an expert on impeachment? Clinging to lifelong regressive piece of shit like Rick Wilson is like Samantha Bee helping to rehabilitate Glenn Beck's image; just an idiot's desperation to maintain the illusion that sane bipartisan leadership is something that ever existed or could possibly exist.

bee_beck.jpg

Number of Congressional Republicans: 289
Number of Congressional Republicans supportive of impeachment: 1
Percentage of Republicans in Congress supportive of impeachment: 0.35%

That single Republican was immediately censured by his own caucus (that he co-founded) and was roundly denounced by his colleagues in public.

At this rate of gaining Republican support for impeachment, we'll nail his ass to the wall in 2112.

What Pelosi should be doing is leading.

"Our goal is to impeach this president for his many crimes. We will continue to investigate these crimes, find as much information as we can, push through his criminal obstruction, and bring him to justice through the rule of law. He is not above the law, we're not scared of his Twitter account, and we will bring him to justice."

You, as the leader, take the risk and lead the charge. You clear space for others to follow behind. There's all this rumor and innuendo that Congressmembers want to impeach Trump and secretly hate him, but who is providing cover? Who is giving them space to move forward?

If Pelosi comes out demanding impeachment (whether immediate or in 6 months), then that creates space for others to say, "Oh, well, I definitely support impeachment eventually, but Pelosi is being too aggressive!"

Right now Pelosi is saying the goal isn't impeachment, so what the hell are members of Congress supposed to do? Risk coming out like Amash and standing all alone on an island?

A fucking joke.

But go ahead, guys, keep reading Republican pundits and calling it "wisdom".

• Like 2

She does have a leadership and messaging problem.  Her reasons (excuses) for not starting the impeachment process do not hold water under any kind of scrutiny.  She’s playing a dangerous game in the name of politics.  Her political calculation is favorable under normal circumstances but we are not in normal times.  

The TV pundits are going to say she’s playing smart because that’s what the corporate whores want to hear.  Yes, doing nothing is all these people ever want. 

• Like 4

If she moves to impeach now, the Senate will clear him, Trump gets to point to that as proof of his innocence, and he gets to play the victim card and use it to rally his base to try and keep the Senate in 2020 and put him over the top.   

Trump is on the ropes right now.  If the election were tomorrow, he’d have to figure out how to win back PA, MI, WI, and AZ, and he’d have to shore up Florida, NC, and Georgia big time, after Republicans shit on voters in Wisconsin, NC, and Florida (and arguably Georgia).   Republicans in those last three states openly tried to reverse voter intentions, either legislatively, or fraud.

But the election is not tomorrow. It’s in 18 months.   Time enough for the tariffs and trade wars to really impact the folks of PA, MI, WI, AZ, FL, GA, and NC.  

Trump can easily cobble together a farm bail-out bill and push it through Congress and many of those farmers will take it and keep their mouths shut and pull the lever for Rs, but what about all the folks in PA, MI, WI, AZ, FL, GA, and NC that lose their jobs or are paying $500 or a $1000 more a year?  

Maybe he can cobble a bill together with bipartisan support to give folks in PA, MI, WI, AZ, FL, GA, and NC some temporary relief through a tax refund, but how can he get them to the polls to pull the lever for the Rs when most of them will be thinking “and what happens when he gets angry again and slaps more tariffs on shit next year?”

That’s not even delving into giving the same relief to the folks in the other 43 states, a relief package that would be enormous.

6 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They should at minimum have at least one Cohen type hearing every week.  That’s what has me irked more than not starting the formal impeachment process. 

people have to actually respond to subpoenas.  they've had 2 empty chairs in the last 3 weeks.