Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, bigshark88 said:

Fn NICE!

Ford guys: what's the trim / package level you have to get to in order to get those C-clamp headlights on the F250?

I believe it comes standard on the King Ranch and Platinum packages, but is an additional option with the Lariat package.  I ordered the Lariat and opted to add the LED headlights and amber clearance lights.  I think the LED upgrade was about $500.  Amber lights was $200ish, IIRC.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of a GM's demo truck... What percentage of the price should I expect the dealership to come off due to a truck being a demo and having 1100 miles on it? Say a high end ram that would normally be in the 50-55K range?

Dealership is trying to to cloud the waters claiming that AT tires and a leveling kit they installed should cover the lost value.

19 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Speaking of a GM's demo truck... What percentage of the price should I expect the dealership to come off due to a truck being a demo and having 1100 miles on it? Say a high end ram that would normally be in the 50-55K range?

Dealership is trying to to cloud the waters claiming that AT tires and a leveling kit they installed should cover the lost value.

not as much as you'd think...maybe 1-2k

On 9/7/2018 at 8:46 AM, Lat22 said:

After flirting with the Powerstroke F150 and the Raptor, I went back to what I’ve had in the past (99 and 05). This was the GM’s demo and he already had it upfitted exactly the way I would have done it (leveled with bigger BFG ATs). Really thinking about a bed cover for the first time. Right now leaning towards the Retrax Pro MX.

ef6e2c96a7ae778bc41e8ca0b97b8288.jpg

What are you going to do with the Chevy flatbed?

On 9/19/2018 at 3:31 PM, bigshark88 said:

Oddly, far less than if you had purchased it new from them and drove it 1,100 miles and tried to sell it back to them. We plebeians, we unwashed masses ruin cars for resale. GMs touch them and they are worth more because of it. 

On 8/2/2018 at 1:47 PM, GringoSalado said:

That's typically (but not always) an injector issue...

I remember the 6.0's having turbo problems, they introduced the variable pitch turbo on that motor, as well as injector issues, but that may have only been the 03 models. Last Ford I owned was the original 7.3 powerstroke (had 2 of those actually) and I haven't really trusted them since. In the ohl fill we had all 3 kinds and had emissions issues with all of them, but injector probs w/ Cummins (plus a thrown rod @ 125k) and Ford/Navistar. The 15-16 Duramax trucks we had "only" had emissions related issues.

We have had nothing but problems out of our 6.0's and 6.4's here at work.   The 6.7's and up have been much more reliable.  Freakin' Ford is just a rape artist when it comes to working on those damned diesels.  That's the main reason I will never own another diesel pickup, especially from Ford.

We have had nothing but problems out of our 6.0's and 6.4's here at work.   The 6.7's and up have been much more reliable.  Freakin' Ford is just a rape artist when it comes to working on those damned diesels.  That's the main reason I will never own another diesel pickup, especially from Ford.
My 6.0 has been a pain in my ass. It is broke down as we speak and needs to go into the shop. I have no fucking clue what is wrong with it.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Got the nerf bars on myself. Got them from Amazon. Amazon stubby FM antenna also swapped in.

Had a Retrax One installed by a dealer.

Running a plastic tool box for the moment. May eventually get a custom welded tool chest under the Retrax roll.

Husky liners are in the wish list. Maybe replacing the rear bumper with a Fab Fours. Also maybe Air Lift airbags again depending on how badly it sags with a bay boat. f807e5669427064ca4709a0a72273d8a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Completely struck out finding a light bar mount for my 2017 platinum with adaptive cruise, so decided to just drill into the bumper and if I ever need to go back to stock, just pop in some chromed bolts for that old school look. Turned out pretty good I think. 30” straight dual row LED.
07379e2ec85d1ae0226c09b30fd68592.jpg89427ab0fccccd4dc8165187552c3528.heic

• Like 1

So I was going through an old desk that I am moving to storage and stumbled across a bunch of old files I had locked away. Thought these might be something you guys would dig, a custom four link mud bog chassis I built on an 84 F series frame, and one of the motors I built for it.

20181007-100817.jpg

• Like 1

Revisiting the retractable tonneau cover discussion:

I went back and re-read this thread.  Several of y'all have retractable covers, but I've only seen Roll N Lock and Retrax in the thread (IIRC).  I've looked at Roll N Lock, Retrax (GatorTrax seems to be same product), Pace Edwards, Truck Covers USA, Paragon, etc. 

I'm leaning towards the RetraxPRO XR because or reported durability (aluminum vs. polyc), can open and close by walking along side of truck (and no strap to mess with), locks anywhere along the tracks, reportedly as close to waterproof as possible, works with t-slot accessories.

My question to y'all with retractable tonneau covers is, why did you make the choice you did, and how do you like your purchase?

I got the Retrax One because a buddy has it on a 2500 Chevy Duramax and he loves it.  The main benefits for me are the ability to securely lock stuff inside the truck bed (along with a locking tailgate) and waterproof transport of gear in the bed.  

Locking: I frequently ride around with a fishing rod holder, roto molded cooler and/or metal gas can in the bed of the truck.  Instead of worrying about using a bike cable and two padlocks to lock all that stuff to a tie-down point - I just lock the tailgate and Retrax.  The gear in the bed is initially out-of-view for casual thieves who might eyeball whatever gear was left there.  I don't know about long-term storage of super expensive gear in there but for opportunity thieves - the locks are sufficient to keep them away if they do decide to spend a minute making an attempt to get into the bed while you're in a store/restaurant or something.     

Water: I live where it rains.  A lot.  Four guys can use the cab of the truck to go on a quail trip and four duffel bags + gun cases can ride in the bed out of the rain using the Retrax.  No more luggage taking up room on the back seat or in the back floorboard.  I have only had mine for a few weeks but I haven't seen any water get through it.  Even after a drive through car wash. 

This wasn't a big consideration for me because my truck came with bed liner from the factory but: I think with the Retrax you could get away with a metal bed floor, rubber mat and plastic toolbox.  You could spend the $$$ on Retrax and save on the spray-in bed liner and metal, locking toolbox.  Depends on how you want to set it up but it's an option for sure.  For now I'm riding around with the Husky plastic tool chest - I could probably get away with it for the life of the truck.  I suspect I'll eventually get a welded, metal toolbox .  If my truck had come with a bare metal bed I would have dropped in a rubber mat, the Husky and gone from there. 

I don't know what you mean by t slot accessories but if it's a Toyota reference - I haven't tried to use mine yet.  They're still in the packaging.  Will they work?  I thought they wouldn't.  At least with the Retrax One.     

Thanks, bigshark.  Your write-up aligns with my research.  I’m just looking at the aluminum one that also has something called the Trax Rail System that works with what’s called ‘t-slot’ accessories like cargo baskets and bike racks:

The Trax Rail System will work with most T-slot accessories from Yakima, Thule, Rhino Rack and many more offering endless possibilities (Accessories Sold Separately). Pairing the Trax Rail System with accessories offers double the cargo capacity. This unique technology frees up the hitch with the ability to mount bikes, coolers, outdoor gear and more on top of the bed cover by combining the Trax Rail System with the t-slot accessories.

I’m intrigued by the possibility of doing stuff like this:

F181665146.jpg

Edited by solamente73
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tommy Nobis said:

Wonder when chevy and gmc are going to want to unload their 18's since the 19's are hitting the lots?  I'd imagine there should be some good deals to be had but haven't seen much yet.

Coworker just bought a chevy z71 some bells and whistles and cloth seats for 36, sounded like a good deal especially compared to the platinum I just bought.

Well, I’m done with Chevrolet. After 3 Z71s (03, 09, 15), I’ve had enough. With my dad and two brothers, we always enjoyed numerous truck debates over the years. From the Triton V10, to the Honda Ridgeline, and everything in between. We could joke and moan about any truck with any issue. My dad raised us with an ‘83 4x4 Long bed Silverado kept around for use. Sweet truck, amazingly shitty 305.

I always had a special relationship with Chevrolet. The first vehicle I ever had was a ‘87 4-cyclinder, manual Ford Ranger. It was specifically designed for NOT fucking chicks. A couple years later I got a ‘93 S-10 Blazer that had the super torque in the 4.3L V-6 (I eventually got a free Typhoon Engine and loaded this thing in with my dad, but that’s another story). I sold the ‘93 and bought a 2003 Z71 as it was (what I considered...) my first real truck. It was a piece of shit, transmission rebuilt at 85k miles and front end bearing on right wheel changed. I treated it very well but damn I loved the interior. I bought the ‘09 next. It was geared low, pretty sluggish but damn that interior was nice. Once I started making more money, I went right down to Henna and bought a 2015 Midnight Edition Silverado. I loved this truck (loved is past-tense). Front end lift, M-1 front bumper, big KO2s. I always hated the shifting. Lots of guys on Reddit bitched about 2nd gear and using a tuner to get a little more quickness and eliminate the horse kick when it shifts from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. I starting getting driver assist error codes after my 36k mile warranty was up. That happened for a couple weeks then my computer fried. All of this while there was a recall on the seat belt attachment.

Out of Warranty. 38k miles. Beautiful truck.

“....that’ll be $3800 for a new computer, wiring harness the length of the vehicle so they know they are getting rid of the short, labor, seat vibration module....and uh we’ll do the recall while you’re here.”

I had been through 2 dealerships in the Austin area, talked to Chevrolet numerous times, and lobbied a handful of people to try and work this out...but hey...it’s out of warranty.

Fuming mad, I went down to Leif Johnson Ford and traded it in for a Raptor (802A). The past few days, it’s been like old times. My dad past away a few years back so my brothers and I haven’t had the greatest truck debates. This brought it all back.

Bro 1: “someday both of you fuckers will pull your head out and realize Toyota is the best. None of my Toyotas have had any of that shit you say about your last 3 trucks”

Bro 2: “you finally got a Ford. Cylinder deactivation has always been a stupid fucking idea. The only downside to your Raptor is a smaller truck bed so you won’t be able to carry as much pussy.”

That was only the tip of the iceberg. I received more activity on our group text than ever before. They tell me GM sucks and how I made the right decision. It was years of banter that was always held back. 

When I sold the Ford Triton V-10 after my dad passed, I felt so bad because he loved towing the Airstream in that damn thing. Shortly before he passed, my brother and I were ribbing each other pretty hard about stupid shit when my dad sighed and said, “I’ve owned ‘em all, and top to bottom, I think Ford is the one.” I should’ve listened years ago...

Bro 1 sounds smart.  I have owned one Toyota in the time that most of y’all have owned 3 or 4 trucks of other brands. 2006 model bought new in 2005.  

It’s on it’s third set of tires, and it’s second battery. Gone through two brake jobs, but rotors are still fine, new pads only. 223,000 miles. And that’s it.

Its been 9 years since i made my last car payment. I was a father to a young toddler when I bought it and he’s going to inherit it as his first truck in just a couple of years. 

I just thought it was a cool looking truck back then. Now, barring any massive changes in their product line, I just simply won’t ever buy another brand. 

My next truck is going to be a newer nicer version of the same truck only because my son is about to need a truck and I’ll be damned if he’s getting the new one. 

Edited by Your Mom
  • Like 1

Bro 1 sounds smart.  I have owned one Toyota in the time that most of y’all have owned 3 or 4 trucks of other brands. 2006 model bought new in 2005.  
It’s on it’s third set of tires, and it’s second battery. Gone through two brake jobs, but rotors are still fine, new pads only. 223,000 miles. And that’s it.
Its been 9 years since i made my last car payment. I was a father to a young toddler when I bought it and he’s going to inherit it as his first truck in just a couple of years. 
I just thought it was a cool looking truck back then. Now, barring any massive changes in their product line, I just simply won’t ever buy another brand. 
My next truck is going to be a newer nicer version of the same truck only because my son is about to need a truck and I’ll be damned if he’s getting the new one. 

Have heard this about every brand but Dodge