Manafort Trial

Grandioso

38 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I think there are multiple purposes:

1. To send him to prison.  It's not all about Trump.

2. To demonstrate (read into the record) his relationship with powerful Russians and the Russian government. That will be used later to demonstrate why he would have motivations for working on Russia's behalf in the election.

3. To demonstrate how the Russians pay Americans, in some instances. 

4. To goad Trump into attempting to use his pardon powers. 

• Like 2

I don't think that quote in emptywheel's tweet is an actual quote. I think it's a hypothetical in a future conspiracy trial. 

Basically she's taking a few huge leaps from Manafort's current defense team saying he was taking orders from Ukrainians.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I don't think that quote in emptywheel's tweet is an actual quote. I think it's a hypothetical in a future conspiracy trial. 

Basically she's taking a few huge leaps from Manafort's current defense team saying he was taking orders from Ukrainians.

But Ukrainians that were favored by Russia to be clear?

"Oleg Deripaska required electing Trump to be done in a certain way and I was stuck following his orders" is Marcy Wheeler extrapolating Manafort's atty's statement shifting much of the blame to the Ukrainian oligarchs Manafort worked for - "This is the way that they required it to be done," his atty said.

For anyone who doesn't know about Oleg Deripaska, the financials of his greater than decade old relationship with Manafort, requests he made of Manafort while Paul ran the Trump campaign, and the active US sanctions on Rusal, Deripaska's multibillion dollar aluminum business that Trump is considering lifting as I type, you're going to have a confuse.  hang in there.

11 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

If you have not watched “Winter on Fire,” fucking shut down at work right now, turn off your cell phone, and watch it IMMEDIATELY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if I need to watch it on my cell phone?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If my information is correct: 

Sentencing guidelines if convicted in this trial is 10 years in prison. 

Sentencing guidelines in his other trial due to start Sept 17 is 15 years.

Doesn't make Trump look good.

Could flip yes but outlook not so good if flip. 

It's way too early to speculate what the Guidelines might call for.  But, I think those are in the ballpark of the type of sentence he will receive if found guilty of say at least one count each of tax evasion, bank fraud, and money laundering.

• Like 1

He's hiding in Russia and is wanted in Ukraine for high treason.  You are a desperate motherfucker to resort to that defense.  The prosecution is going to eviscerate them.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He's hiding in Russia and is wanted in Ukraine for high treason.  You are a desperate motherfucker to resort to that defense.  The prosecution is going to eviscerate them.

"You've listed Barry Switzer, Bernie Madoff, Bashar Assad, Harvey Wienstein, and Vanukovych as defense witnesses -- what the hell for?"

"Character witnesses, your honor."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Winter on Fire is one compelling piece of cinema. Highly recommended viewing, especially because it gives even greater context to Manafort’s misdeeds. 

He’s a corrupt piece of shit with the blood of the Ukrainian people literally on his hands.

Edited by Party_Taco

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Shel Silverstein represent.

I read "Where The Sidewalk Ends" after taking a bunch shrooms while sitting on a boulder in the middle of the Medina river on a hunting trip my sophomore year.  I also declared myself a river god and fired off a few rounds from my Colt 1911 after finishing Silverstein's children's book. It was a great trip, the hunting trip was good too.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, F250 said:

I read "Where The Sidewalk Ends" after taking a bunch shrooms while sitting on a boulder in the middle of the Medina river on a hunting trip my sophomore year.  I also declared myself a river god and fired off a few rounds from my Colt 1911 after finishing Silverstein's children's book. It was a great trip, the hunting trip was good too.

If we're discussing mind-blowing acid/mushroom trips, y'all need tp hear my story about going to FAO Swartz whilst tripping HARD on a couple tabs. It was...interesting.

The LBJ library at night is a wonderful place to trip.  There's a lady in a white dress who jumps up from inside the fountain every so often.  And you can lie on your back on that hill and reach up and rearrange the stars.

But I digress...

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 10:45 AM, JBJ said:

Meh.  It may reflect poorly on Mueller, but it's not really even a part of the Russian investigation.

Then why is he trying it?  If it has nothing to do with the Russian investigation Mueller should not have the authority to have anything to do with it.

Then why is he trying it?  If it has nothing to do with the Russian investigation Mueller should not have the authority to have anything to do with it.

Except that the order says he can go after whatever crimes he finds leading from his investigation. So he’s doing exactly what he’s been charged to do.