11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

even the names of the characters in Caddyshack have dual meaning.  

I need to go back and watch Midnight Run.  Only saw it once right after it came out.  I like both those guys a lot more now.  Hope it's streaming somewhere cheap.  Guess you could say that about all my girls. 

Holy Shit!! You of all people have only seen Midnight Run once??  Watch this weekend after a couple of stiff drinks and get back to this thread.  Grodin and De Niro are magic in that movie /no homo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Dude, tap the brakes on the cinematic lectures.  It took you like ten years after I met you to see the Godfather films.  You were trying to tell me about the "Short Circuit" franchise was the best thing about the 1980's or some shit.   I dunno, we were pretty drunk. 

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Dude, tap the brakes on the cinematic lectures.  It took you like ten years after I met you to see the Godfather films.  You were trying to tell me about the "Short Circuit" franchise was the best thing about the 1980's or some shit.   I dunno, we were pretty drunk. 

Definitely homo.....

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

And that's fair...but just as I've finally watched and embraced The Godfather , you need to rewatch Midnight Run.  It's one of the best movies of our lifetime.  /no homo

A few I don't recall seeing mentioned:

Alec Baldwin in Hunt for Red October.  That should've been Harrison Ford, imo. 

Ricky Schroeder as Newt in Lonesome Dove (full disclosure he's irritated TF out of me since Silver Spoons).  They made up for it by casting Diane Lane as Lori Darlin', though. 

Robert Iler as AJ in Sopranos.  No fucking way he pulls off playing Tony's son...too damn little and wimpy.  I suppose it could be said that he was cast very young and never grew into the role. 

20 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Ricky Schroeder as Newt in Lonesome Dove (full disclosure he's irritated TF out of me since Silver Spoons).  They made up for it by casting Diane Lane as Lori Darlin', though. 

Robert Iler as AJ in Sopranos.  No fucking way he pulls off playing Tony's son...too damn little and wimpy.  I suppose it could be said that he was cast very young and never grew into the role. 

I thought AJ was portrayed perfectly as a spoiled shit who never had to work for anything. Like most suburban raised teens. Teens are unlikable and he nailed it. I  want to reach through the tv and slap him every time he showed up.

• Hook 'Em 5
15 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I thought AJ was portrayed perfectly as a spoiled shit who never had to work for anything. Like most suburban raised teens. Teens are unlikable and he nailed it. I  want to reach through the tv and slap him every time he showed up.

I thought Baldwin was great in the role, but like Harrison Ford as J. Ryan better.  Baldwin was definitely better than Afleck.

Yep agree AJ was a little shit, and the actor was well cast IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

Baldwin was perfect for Red October, imo. He nailed the ‚Äújust an analyst‚ÄĚ forced into action role better than what Harrison Ford would have in my opinion. I don‚Äôt think Baldwin would have been as good in ‚ÄúPatriot Games‚ÄĚ or ‚ÄúClear and Present Danger‚ÄĚ just because Ford is more believable as an action star.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Baldwin >>> Old Ass Harrison Ford

It’s really not close. Baldwin as Jack Ryan was a wonky, reluctant action hero. Lot’s of energy and comedy at own expense.

Ford was Old Ford. Could have been playing the President and yelling ‚Äúget off my plane!‚ÄĚ

Your conclusions were all wrong. Ford acted stupidly.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Baldwin was perfect for Red October, imo. He nailed the ‚Äújust an analyst‚ÄĚ forced into action role better than what Harrison Ford would have in my opinion. I don‚Äôt think Baldwin would have been as good in ‚ÄúPatriot Games‚ÄĚ or ‚ÄúClear and Present Danger‚ÄĚ just because Ford is more believable as an action star.

Jack Ryan’s not a believable action hero. Thats part of whats so compelling about the character.
Just now, Eskimohorn said:

Jack Ryan’s not a believable action hero. Thats part of whats so compelling about the character.

I completely agree, although that doesn't seem to be the case with the way they did the next two movies.  It's why I thought Ford was great in those two and that Baldwin may not have been as good. 

On 8/5/2018 at 4:33 PM, South Austin said:

but also has starred in two of the best sports movies ever (Bull Durham and Field of Dreams),

*three of the best sports movies ever.

Tin Cup.

‚ÄĚgreatness courts failure, romeo.‚ÄĚ

• Fuck You 1
4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

so what, no fuckin ziti now?

• Hook 'Em 1
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Hate said:

I completely agree, although that doesn't seem to be the case with the way they did the next two movies.  It's why I thought Ford was great in those two and that Baldwin may not have been as good. 

Hunt for Red October was a better movie than any of the succeeding ones

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I haven't seen his portrayal yet, but at first guess I'd agree.  I like that guy, but don't see a Jack Ryan in him.

He never gets mad, especially not on apple picking day!

Yeah a neurotic college kid is basically all he can pull off.

He was perfectly cast in Modern Family as Mitchell/Cam’s smug, pretentious, eco-warrior asshole neighbor. Hmmmm. Smug, pretentious, asshole. Yep, perfect casting.
Meh, as I was reading Clancy's books his description of Jack Ryan had me thinking HF.  Baldwin was too much of a pretty boy. 

Interesting. I read a few Jack Ryan books before they made the movies. I don’t recall picturing an actor while reading it, but though AB was perfect and HF was miscast. Of course, I also think Jim Halpert is pretty good as Jack Ryan. The Jack I remember from the books wasn’t an badass. He was an analyst.
6 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Interesting. I read a few Jack Ryan books before they made the movies. I don’t recall picturing an actor while reading it, but though AB was perfect and HF was miscast. Of course, I also think Jim Halpert is pretty good as Jack Ryan. The Jack I remember from the books wasn’t an badass. He was an analyst.

Reading the books I never had AB in my head as Jack Ryan, but he was good in The Hunt For Red October.

Odd question. There have been a lot of actors that have portrayed John F. Kennedy. Who do you think has been the best? Bruce Greenwood was pretty good in Thirteen Days. He looked like him from certain angles. Kennedy had a charisma and humor that’s got to be hard to cast. Overall I don’t think anyone has nailed his looks. 

Odd question. There have been a lot of actors that have portrayed John F. Kennedy. Who do you think has been the best? Bruce Greenwood was pretty good in Thirteen Days. He looked like him from certain angles. Kennedy had a charisma and humor that’s got to be hard to cast. Overall I don’t think anyone has nailed his looks. 

I wonder if this could be Matt Damon’s Oscar role.
3 hours ago, Brandywine said:

27637CC0-D680-42D7-B455-8598B5440B6E.jpeg.94340df3317c963f1972deb4e85165f1.jpeg

11 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Meh, as I was reading Clancy's books his description of Jack Ryan had me thinking HF.  Baldwin was too much of a pretty boy. 

I said speak your mind Jack, but Jesus.

1 minute ago, Parliament said:
16 hours ago, Michael Knight said:
Hunt for Red October was a better movie than any of the succeeding ones

Hardly a controversial take there. "Clear and Present Danger" is a rewatchable movie, but tH4RO is a cinema icon.

Red October, Clear and present  danger, and Patriot games are all good.

Red October is a few rungs above the other 2. Connery, a supporting cast of great character actors, Subs, Nukes, classic Cold War hide and seek, great story line. MOTHER OF GOD !  What's not to like...

I read the book in 2 sitttings.  Couldn't put it down. Clancey was hauled before Congress to answer questions about how he was able to construct the accurate portrayal of modern sub protocol.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Red October, Clear and present  danger, and Patriot games are all good.

Red October is a few rungs above the other 2. Connery, a supporting cast of great character actors, Subs, Nukes, classic Cold War hide and seek, great story line. MOTHER OF GOD !  What's not to like...

I read the book in 2 sitttings.  Couldn't put it down. Clancey was hauled before Congress to answer questions about how he was able to construct the accurate portrayal of modern sub protocol.

first real role of the great sean bean too.

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Clancey was hauled before Congress to answer questions about how he was able to construct the accurate portrayal of modern sub protocol.

I'm afraid that's simply not possible because:

According to repeated statements by both Soviet and American Governments, nothing of what we saw...ever happened.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

He may have been an analyst but he was also a Marine. 

On 3/2/2021 at 6:43 PM, Brandywine said:

Art Hindle played JFK in the 1987 film J Edgar Hoover, with Treat Williams playing Hoover.

Hindle appeared only briefly but I thought he got everything about JFK pretty well.

Greenwood did a good job sounding like JFK.  I fuckin love Thirteen Days.

The dude who played RFK was impressive, as well.

7 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Art Hindle played JFK in the 1987 film J Edgar Hoover, with Treat Williams playing Hoover.

Hindle appeared only briefly but I thought he got everything about JFK pretty well.

Greenwood did a good job sounding like JFK.  I fuckin love Thirteen Days.

The dude who played RFK was impressive, as well.

https://m.imdb.com/list/ls006479982/

Jericho Mile is an excellent movie.   A few of my favorites are Death Be Not Proud, The Death of Richie, Don't Be Afraid OF The Dark, Gargoyles and about a dozen or so trashy ones with Elizabeth Montgomery or Linda Blair in them.  

• Like 1