kevwun

All Things Brisket

30 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

Believe it or not.  It was not. 

Besides, looks like you had plenty of beer to warsh it down with.

What’s a typical smoke time for just a point?

looking for something that will take 6-8 hours to smoke.

planning to smoke on Friday. Vacuum seal and cool it down and then reheat in a bath of hot/boiling water on Saturday 

A point can be done in that timeframe. Then again, so can a whole brisket. Temp needs to be 300-325, and you'll have to watch it like a hawk when it starts getting close. Highly suggest a wrap of some sort (foil or butcher paper) once internal temp hits 150, or the color is where you want it. No wrap and the bark gets way too crunchy for me with a hot/fast. Your reheat method may curb some of that though. I prefer the in between that butcher paper gives. 

Fyi, went by HEB off 7th yesterday and they had Prime 1 briskets on sale for about $4.5 / lb... which is about the same price as the choice they had on the other shelf?!?

3 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Fyi, went by HEB off 7th yesterday and they had Prime 1 briskets on sale for about $4.5 / lb... which is about the same price as the choice they had on the other shelf?!?

Yeah, I see weird shit like that from time to time. Have even seen the Prime marked lower than choice grade sitting right next to them.

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, I see weird shit like that from time to time. Have even seen the Prime marked lower than choice grade sitting right next to them.

I didn't pick one up since the 4th this year will be just us and a whole packer is too much to eat... but I'm regretting that decision now since I passed on a Memorial Day brisket and opted for a pork butt. Perhaps I'll go back and grab one.

7 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

I didn't pick one up since the 4th this year will be just us and a whole packer is too much to eat...

Freezers exist for a reason. 

Freezers exist for a reason. 
Yep, dont slice it all, cut into portion size chunks, refrigerate overnight, vacuum seal and freeze. Easily reheated in hot water and it holds up very well.119643d04d056806ded74f6741adf55a.jpg

21 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

What’s a typical smoke time for just a point?

looking for something that will take 6-8 hours to smoke.

planning to smoke on Friday. Vacuum seal and cool it down and then reheat in a bath of hot/boiling water on Saturday 

I think that you should be able to pull that off well under that time frame.  Get the color and bark right, and finish in the oven imo. 

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I think that you should be able to pull that off well under that time frame.  Get the color and bark right, and finish in the oven imo. 

Don't forget to lay some pipe.

Bought a Prime 16-pounder at HEB today. Basically felt like the boss of the store while I wheeled around and bought the lesser items. I kept waiting for people to comment but they were all intimidated. Rocking an all-nighter Thurs.

$4.49/lb
$75
Lakeline: Austin-Cedar Park

$4.49/lb? Ouch. I picked one up last weekend (prime) for $2.79/lb.

That seems like a killer deal. I think last summer prime were around $3.79/lb in my area. I'm going in w a buddy so at least I'm not taking the full hit.

8 lbs is plenty of brisket for my little crew.

14 hours ago, Mortimer said:

That seems like a killer deal. I think last summer prime were around $3.79/lb in my area. I'm going in w a buddy so at least I'm not taking the full hit.

8 lbs is plenty of brisket for my little crew.

1 hour ago, ZB'Tejas said:

donde?

Sam's. Excel Prime packer, in the cryovac. They've been $2.79/lb there (here anyway) for a few years. Now if I hit one of the grocery stores, it's at least $4.79/lb, up to $9 and some change for select grade packers. Pays for the sams card on its own after the first 2-3 briskets of the membership year, after that it's all gravy.