2018 Brisket Price Thread

utee94

20 hours ago, solamente73 said:

Market Street has trimmed "Reserve" briskets at $3.49/lb.  Not brisket, but they also have buy 1 get 1 free babyback ribs at 3.49/lb.

It's ok, generally the "brisket price" thread doubles as the "all smoked meats" price thread.

Right now I'm on the lookout for some beef short rib deals, I've exhausted my supply on some awesome deal I got last summer, don't even remember the price now but it was, like, super legit.

On 3/30/2018 at 1:22 PM, utee94 said:

It's ok, generally the "brisket price" thread doubles as the "all smoked meats" price thread.

Cool.  I usually hung out on the Dallas Meat Deals thread so I didn't know that.

I LOVE smoking racks of pork, the few times of the year when they can be found.  Costco has them right now.  $2.99/lb.  If you aren't familiar think pork prime rib:

31423602693_43f165e7c4_c.jpg

31858074820_1dba814b58_c.jpg

• Like 3

Cool.  I usually hung out on the Dallas Meat Deals thread so I didn't know that.
I LOVE smoking racks of pork, the few times of the year when they can be found.  Costco has them right now.  $2.99/lb.  If you aren't familiar think pork prime rib:
31423602693_43f165e7c4_c.jpg
31858074820_1dba814b58_c.jpg
Which Costco? You have my interest. What's your method on smoking them?

On 4/2/2018 at 7:22 PM, Both Tacos said:

Which Costco? You have my interest. What's your method on smoking them?

Costco in Southlake.  I have a BGE, so my method might be different than what would work for those using traditional smokers.  I set it up for indirect cook and get it to 550*.  I put on the rack of pork and close all the vents to allow the roast to sear as the temp drops down to 325*-350*.  Once at temp, I open up the vents and let it cook in that range.  Takes it about 1.5-2 hours to cook to 140 internal where I pull it and rest it (rising to at least 145* internal) for 15-30 minutes before carving and plating.  I like to use hickory but I'd imagine anything but mesquite would be fine.  Also, you could skip the sear and just smoke at 325*-350* and that works, too.

Edited by solamente73
make sure internal gets to 145* before eating
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah we usually see the sales for Memorial Day start up this week, or no later than next Wednesday.  I'd love to see a good deal on some beef short ribs, HEB ran a great one a couple of years ago but I don't recall seeing it last year.

23 hours ago, solamente73 said:

Baby backs are $1.99/lb at Alberstons in DFW area through today.

Not bad, but if it ain't on sale, man do these guys fuck you at the drive through. For any meat product from Albertson's, if it isn't on sale you are getting fleeced.

On 5/13/2018 at 2:26 PM, Brothahorn said:

Seen the big briskets at Walmart in East Texas and Humble for $1.96/lb this week.

That's been a pretty steady price at the WalMarts around here (Tyler) for the last couple of years +/- a penny or two.  Usually, they are "choice," too.  Unless I just happen to be somewhere else and find something reasonable, I always buy brisket there.

Edited by dcbc

On 5/24/2018 at 3:57 PM, utee94 said:

Yeah it was 3.29 for prime packers at my Cedar Park Costco, too.  That's a pretty standard price so I guess there's no sale for Memorial Day.

They were $3.59/lb yesterday. I'm kicking myself for not getting one last week when they were 30 cents/lb cheaper.

2 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

They were $3.59/lb yesterday. I'm kicking myself for not getting one last week when they were 30 cents/lb cheaper.

I hear ya, but it's only like like $4 difference, right?  I just can't let myself sweat that.  Just think how much you'd be paying for it cooked, at a top place, and enjoy THOSE savings. :)

United grocery store had choice packers for $1.77/lb, grabbed 2 of em and got em on smoke now.

Anyone know if the raw ones freeze well and cook out ok? Started to buy several but didn’t know about how they do out of the freezer.

United grocery store had choice packers for $1.77/lb, grabbed 2 of em and got em on smoke now.
Anyone know if the raw ones freeze well and cook out ok? Started to buy several but didn’t know about how they do out of the freezer.
They do just fine. I always keep a couple in the freezer.

Just make sure they haven't already been frozen.

I'm supposed to be getting a case of CABs from a guy in my golf league for 2.88/lb. That's a bit cheaper than the 2.99/lb sale/case price they had at RD a few weeks ago. I was in there yesterday and all of the prices were jacked up due to the Holiday weekend. I can find 2.99/lb for choice at GFS any time but limited selection. Everywhere else the prices are jacked up over $4/lb. Sucks, very jealous seeing prices under $2/lb and prime for the same cost that I pay. 

On 5/26/2018 at 3:14 PM, RMac5 said:

You up in God's Country? South Plains?

On 5/26/2018 at 3:14 PM, RMac5 said:

Yup, they freeze well.  I usually grab a couple when they're on sale.  

• 1 month later...

I haven't checked any yet, I'll be out shopping today though and will report back if I see anything good in the NW Austin/Cedar Park area.  I still have 2 in the deep freeze so probably won't be buying any this go-round.