Jump to content
happyfunball

China Travel

Recommended Posts

Took similar trip 35 years ago, when China first opened up to outsiders. Expanded my horizons like nothing else in my life ever has. It was not at all modernized then. Plenty of Mao Jackets and Russian looking buildings. First event after landing was The Peking Opera. The combination of sleep deprivation and the uniqueness of the Opera made for quite a psychedelic experience.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just locked a $400 fare to shanghai on united.  have a friend in hefei.  someone tell me what to do/see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A man from Chendu cooked me dinner in my house Saturday night.  Doesn't speak a word of English, but the mofo can cook. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Set up a VPN client and account on your computer and phone BEFORE you go. The apps are blocked in the app stores in China so it becomes much more difficult to set up connectivity once you're in-country. International roaming plans are much less filtered by China, a local SIM is heavily filtered. Some international hotels might have VPN pipelines for their WiFi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Set up a VPN client and account on your computer and phone BEFORE you go. The apps are blocked in the app stores in China so it becomes much more difficult to set up connectivity once you're in-country. International roaming plans are much less filtered by China, a local SIM is heavily filtered. Some international hotels might have VPN pipelines for their WiFi.

part of me was thinking of wiping my phone, is that too much?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't bother, but it depends what you have on it. If you're concerned about important data, at least set a strong password and remove your fingerprint and face recognition from it. Obviously depends on your traveler profile; if you're a random tourist you're very unlikely to get any scrutiny. If you're a high enough profile target, they've probably already hacked all your data. In between those 2 extremes is where you can take reasonable precautions, if you care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Volunteering yourself to give advice about China and the first thing you say is din tai fung sucks? Dude there goes your credibility...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Volunteering yourself to give advice about China and the first thing you say is din tai fung sucks? Dude there goes your credibility...

Yeah, sure there are better places but it most certainty does not "suck".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Volunteering yourself to give advice about China and the first thing you say is din tai fung sucks? Dude there goes your credibility...

Agreed attention seeking bullshit - should have just said "hey I went to China and here are my pics"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do I need a VPN when heading to Hong Kong? I know HK is still China but I have no idea if they have the same kind of censorship as the mainland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2019 at 1:04 PM, HRSchenker said:

Do I need a VPN when heading to Hong Kong? I know HK is still China but I have no idea if they have the same kind of censorship as the mainland.

my VPN dialed into hong kong while i was in shanghai, so i assume not.

Edited by elfenix
edited to clarify i was not in hong kong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Do I need a VPN when heading to Hong Kong? I know HK is still China but I have no idea if they have the same kind of censorship as the mainland.

not in my experience. been a few years but HK was blockage free.  and PRC had extensive blockage even at the airport

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2018 at 2:44 PM, Not that Bob said:

Took similar trip 35 years ago, when China first opened up to outsiders. Expanded my horizons like nothing else in my life ever has. It was not at all modernized then. Plenty of Mao Jackets and Russian looking buildings. First event after landing was The Peking Opera. The combination of sleep deprivation and the uniqueness of the Opera made for quite a psychedelic experience.  

get out of the cities and much the same still, like a time machine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My trip to Hong Kong is still on. Family is telling me not to go but everywhere I've read has said to avoid the protests and you'll be fine. My only concern would be if they protest at the airport like they did a few weeks ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Do I need a VPN when heading to Hong Kong? I know HK is still China but I have no idea if they have the same kind of censorship as the mainland.
No you won't need a VPN in HK. The Internet isn't censored. Be careful though especially on the subways, the protests have resulted in Innocents getting attacked on subways. But being white you should be ok. If it gets sticky stay in the midlevels area on hong kong island.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn't be any issue going to HKG, as you say avoid the active protest areas, many parts of the city you won't see anything different at all. Tourism has plummeted, so hotels are cheap, all the sights aren't crowded, and retailers have various promotions. If anything, it's a great time to go. A coworker was there a month ago during the protests and found the protestors incredibly polite and educated, with mostly excellent English.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My boss is headed over next week to adopt a little girl. He’s nervous as shit. CSB


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2018 at 5:56 PM, happyfunball said:

Random photos from over the years

Had to go to Din Tai Fung for a work dinner. That place sucks.

8ee0f21a3ade5effa1f6cbeb9b880082.jpg

966f9d200c720796afaec1d8641d4b18.jpg

aa9f7022c7c40dc4920c03f487a76526.jpg

b7a678fcabbc3f3c5d41469f69ba4119.jpg

6fe7b70d780080a4d1cec837ab6cf87f.jpg

af2a9c5730a919da7cacda6ca29e9095.jpg

0c3b03017101c756c52c2065194c5405.jpg

30e33f516011dc02a244a02248daca5f.jpg

419449ca042601ab3a46361e5b2bdbd8.jpg

230923540997e2e136ddf3664870b66f.jpg

Meh, i ate Panda Express and then visited McKinney Falls yesterday so these views hit close to home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in Hong Kong right now. Wow this place is great. Been to a hiking trail, Victoria Peak, and other popular food places and you can really tell that tourism is down. I haven't seen any protests but there are posters and graffiti everywhere. Lots of pro democracy, anti China stuff. There's also tons of anti LeBron James graffiti too. One sign in Mong Kok said "LeBron James pussy ass bitch" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 1:36 AM, HRSchenker said:

I'm in Hong Kong right now. Wow this place is great. Been to a hiking trail, Victoria Peak, and other popular food places and you can really tell that tourism is down. I haven't seen any protests but there are posters and graffiti everywhere. Lots of pro democracy, anti China stuff. There's also tons of anti LeBron James graffiti too. One sign in Mong Kok said "LeBron James pussy ass bitch" 

Please tell me you took a pic of pussy ass bitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

South of Shanghai is a town called Hangzhou. Highly recommend it. It’s like the Austin of China. Only way I can describe it.

Marco Polo called it heaven on earth. Had some great times there on a couple trips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...