2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Burt won the Big 12 Championship in 60m hurdles. He ran a personal best 7.73.

It's early, but I think he takes home the Gaskamp in 2019. 

He's always been fast and athletic but is there something that gives you the impression he will finally put it together on the field? I'm not criticizing, just curious.

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The playing time should be there and he looked competent in limited action in 2018. 

He made one catch for 9 yards in 4 games. By competent, are you commenting on what you saw on film in those games? Because that stat line doesn't exactly inspire me to put him on any watch list. 

Just now, Eggo said:

He made one catch for 9 yards in 4 games. By competent, are you commenting on what you saw on film in those games? Because that stat line doesn't exactly inspire me to put him on any watch list. 

Hey the nine yard catch picked up a first down in traffic against OU. It wasn't some garbage time, meaningless grab. 

• Like 1

Burt and Duvernay are fast deep threats that will help Texas stretch the field vertically for the 2019 season passing game.  Really hoping to  see more speed added at WR in 2020 Class.

1) What kind of real speed was added by the 2019 WR signees?

2) Not sure how fast Mookie Cooper is, but wondering what burners might Texas try adding at WR in the 2020 Class?

Edited by LTtxfan

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Burt and Duvernay are fast deep threats that will help Texas stretch the field vertically for the 2019 season passing game.  Really hoping to  see more speed added at WR in 2020 Class.

1) What kind of real speed was added by the 2019 WR signees?

2) Not sure how fast Mookie Cooper is, but wondering what burners might Texas try adding at WR in the 2020 Class?

Jake Smith is a burner. Kennedy Lewis is quite fast, especially for his size. Jordan Whittington is quick rather than fast.

I don't know if we've offered a "burner" for 2020 yet.

I think Duvernay is the most underrated player on the team.  41 catches, 546 yards, 4 TDs and a hell of a lot of 3rd down conversions.  If you're getting that from your third option, you're in a great spot.

As great as Beck was in the running game, I think one thing that held back the offense a bit last year was a TE that could take advantage of the amount of attention Johnson and LJH draw.  Hopefully Brewer or Leitao can add something there.

55 minutes ago, fellside said:

I think Duvernay is the most underrated player on the team.  41 catches, 546 yards, 4 TDs and a hell of a lot of 3rd down conversions.  If you're getting that from your third option, you're in a great spot.

As great as Beck was in the running game, I think one thing that held back the offense a bit last year was a TE that could take advantage of the amount of attention Johnson and LJH draw.  Hopefully Brewer or Leitao can add something there.

Yeah.  Beck didn't have the same acceleration after the injury.  He still got wide open through good technique and scheme at times.  He reminded me of a phrase from LaVell Edwards describing his WRs at BYU:  "They've got deceptive speed.  They're even slower than the look..."

6 hours ago, fellside said:

And Sam seemed to have an accuracy thing with hitting his TEs, especially straight up the seam. Remember several over throws to Beck.

7 hours ago, ausjala said:

And Sam seemed to have an accuracy thing with hitting his TEs, especially straight up the seam. Remember several over throws to Beck.

A lot more than several.  PPG would be up by 3 for the season if those had been hit.  We were, and will likely be, always needing the extra points those routes would provide, when hit.

2 hours ago, NBMisha said:

A lot more than several.  PPG would be up by 3 for the season if those had been hit.  We were, and will likely be, always needing the extra points those routes would provide, when hit.

Try to do a better job of conflating adjectives and numbers. Three ppg derives from 42 points, which results from six touchdowns/xps . I'm not sure many surly folks will agree with you that six is "a lot more than several", even assuming that all six misses were on separate drives.

EDIT: Could also be fourteen field goals, to be fair. 

And... anyone who tells you there will be no maths is lying to you. There are always maths, always.

Edited by Tex Long

14 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Try to do a better job of conflating adjectives and numbers. Three ppg derives from 42 points, which results from six touchdowns/xps . I'm not sure many surly folks will agree with you that six is "a lot more than several", even assuming that all six misses were on separate drives.

EDIT: Could also be fourteen field goals, to be fair. 

And... anyone who tells you there will be no maths is lying to you. There are always maths, always.

Just sayin, any more points last year would be good points to have.  And, those were quite a few bad misses.  And, yes, I was figuring on about 6 td's over multiple drives and games, spread over the season, so as to not be too specific about which games could have been won last year, which would be a diversion of the main point.  Lots of misses of that type.  

That's not math, that's arithmetic.  :)

1 hour ago, NBMisha said:

Just sayin, any more points last year would be good points to have.  And, those were quite a few bad misses.  And, yes, I was figuring on about 6 td's over multiple drives and games, spread over the season, so as to not be too specific about which games could have been won last year, which would be a diversion of the main point.  Lots of misses of that type.  

That's not math, that's arithmetic.  :)

Now you're headed toward innumeracy. Keep trying and you'll be on your way to texags soon.

From TFB: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-tuesday-february-26th/

Notebook | Team Notes, Hester, Grad Transfers, Another Visitor & Henderson
– Super K

***I know some of you are probably wondering how the players are looking in player-led 7v7. I did check on this and was told that they aren’t doing that this winter.

Because Sam is experienced, they feel it’s better that the players focus this winter on foundational stuff: getting bigger, faster, stronger and conditioning.

In terms of young guys standing out, everyone I’ve spoken to says it’s just too early to tell. They haven’t done enough football stuff to say.

*** (From Will) We’ve heard from a source that early enrollee defensive end Peter Mpagi took a spill on one of those electric scooters a week ago. He is in a boot and walking on crutches.

We don’t think this is too serious of an injury, but it is time he will miss in the weight room.

Fuckin Scooters...... ban them!!

Lost David Hamilton on baseball team, now Mpagi gets hurt......

"We’ve heard from a source that early enrollee defensive end Peter Mpagi took a spill on one of those electric scooters a week ago. He is in a boot and walking on crutches.  We don’t think this is too serious of an injury, but it is time he will miss in the weight room."

Edited by LTtxfan

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Fuckin Scooters...... ban them!!

Lost David Hamilton on baseball team, now Mpagi gets hurt......

"We’ve heard from a source that early enrollee defensive end Peter Mpagi took a spill on one of those electric scooters a week ago. He is in a boot and walking on crutches.  We don’t think this is too serious of an injury, but it is time he will miss in the weight room."

Hell yeah! Ban the fucking Sooners!

Wait....right ban the scooters to. And while we are at it let's ban schooners.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Damnit. We should run #8 against USC in overtime 2017. 

QB stretch with outside zone blocking is very nasty in HUNH.  Especially when paired with potential QB counter going the other way if the defense starts shifting bodies to the strong side of the formation.