2019 College Player Free Agent Thread -- Dudes Declaring Early, Transferring, or Leaving School

Patrick Bateman

I think Nick actually has a point on some of that.....if you are getting $9 million with $5 guaranteed (what yahoo says the last player in the first round should get) that is a big difference from $3.3 with $750,000 guaranteed that Forbes says a 3rd rounder will be looking at

so you go from $5 million guaranteed to $750,000 guaranteed and sure to a lot of guys $750,000 is a shit tonne of money, but that is hardly enough to put you on easy street for life when you add in taxes and agent fees (much less dumb ass spending)

$5 million guaranteed after taxes and agent fees probably $2.5 million gets you a lot closer to life changing money even if you fuck off $500,000 of it before you pull your head out of your ass.....but of course for many it will not be hard to fuck off all $2.5 million and even then you will only be living a middle class to slightly upper middle class lifestyle with modest investment returns if you have no other income and ride those investment returns

of course if you can catch on in the league for even a year or two and save some of that annual pay and invest it you will be moving your long term lifestyle up significantly

of course Nick is being selfish (as all coaches should be to some degree) and it is funny to hear him talk about "after sports", but just because it comes from him that does not mean he is wrong.....probably allowing the purchase of an insurance policy for an additional full season of play (like the bowl game ones only longer and perhaps for a bit more payout money with injury) some of the movement to the pros could be reduced

I for one wish that the NCAA could just get rid of the fuckers that care nothing at all about an education and send them right on to the XFL or what was the AAF and get them to stop wasting air on college campuses much less time and money

Agree Saban has a valid point while also saying it for selfish reasons.  But the fact that 50% of the players leaving early are not getting a 2nd contract in the NFL is strong data for more players to stay longer in CFB.

Good stats in link below include:

• Last year, 106 players declared early for the draft and 36 went undrafted. 
  • There are 111 underclassmen that declared for the NFL draft this year -- a record high

So more than 33% of players who declared early for the 2018 NFL Draft went undrafted.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26554382/underclassmen-getting-bad-draft-info

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, SDG said:

The NFL’s minimum salary is $495k.  Leave early and make money; you can always come back if you need a college degree.  

And then if you don't make an NFL roster... how many players actually return to finish school??

Fact:  The average NFL career is only 3½ years long.  How many 1-4 year players in NFL suffer financial difficulties and bankruptcies....

Let's assume the player is projected as a likely 3rd to 7th round player...... I don't have stats, but believe that most of these Rd 3-7 type players that stay in college for at least 4yrs, have a much greater chance to be successful with their lives 25-30yrs later,  than the 3yr only early NFL entry Rd 3-7 players.

Lots of tough stories about former NFL players failing in life after football.....

https://nypost.com/2014/12/14/how-the-nfl-leaves-players-broken-and-broke/

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Yeah, Nick Saban speech hits home with Lil Jordan. He probably won’t get drafted, and if he does, it’s going to be for significantly less money than if he stayed for one more year. 

Another year wouldnt make  LJ run a 4.5. He has great game tape, so not sure that is the best example. Malik Jefferson though..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Another year wouldnt make  LJ run a 4.5. He has great game tape, so not sure that is the best example. Malik Jefferson though..

Agreed. LJH was never going to be a first or second round pick. Might as well get to the league and start the clock on his second contract. I know we're pissed and it hurts the Texas Program, but LJH made a smart move for himself. 

Malik is a much better example. He probably would have slipped into the first round with another year of development at Texas. 

• Like 1

I hope it doesn't happen to LJH, but there is at least one advantage to going undrafted. UDFAs are on three year contracts while late round draftees are on a 4 year deal. The money is pretty similar, close to the league minimum, and of course the UDFAs get to the second contract a year early. 

Draft/contract slotting has really changed the game. Even guys like Jared Goff are counting the hours until the second contract. I think it's been good for the game in that teams don't have to invest large portions of their cap space on young, unproven QBs. 

I think Seahawks overpaid for Wilson as a mea culpa for getting him on the cheap for 4-5 years. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 6:43 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Agreed. LJH was never going to be a first or second round pick. Might as well get to the league and start the clock on his second contract. I know we're pissed and it hurts the Texas Program, but LJH made a smart move for himself. 

After seeing  LJH's Combine and Texas Pro Day workouts, using the word smart and LJH together about his decisions related to the NFL seems like an oxymoron.

giphy.gif

I don't think he should have to give a reason for wanting to transfer from Coastal Carolina to VT. His coach could make that jump without any reason whatsoever. But if the reason is to be closer to the mom, 100+ miles seems a little disingenuous. There is likely a football playing college closer. That doesn't excuse this dumb decision. All waivers should be granted in my opinion for any reason.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don't think he should have to give a reason for wanting to transfer from Coastal Carolina to VT. His coach could make that jump without any reason whatsoever. But if the reason is to be closer to the mom, 100+ miles seems a little disingenuous. There is likely a football playing college closer. That doesn't excuse this dumb decision. All waivers should be granted in my opinion for any reason.

Wake is about 50 miles away.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 4:35 AM, Parliament said:

Played 2 years for UCLA and had concussion problems.

He didn't have concussion problems.  Had a wrist injury.  But he wasn't the player we'd hoped for.  And now another of our 5 star LB recruits, Mique Juarez, who IS dealing with concussion issues and was told by UCLA he likely wouldn't play because docs won't clear him, is transferring to Utah.

FORMER TEXAS A&M QUARTERBACK JAGGER LAROE TRANSFERRING TO OHIO STATE AS PREFERRED WALK-ON

By Dan Hope on May 20, 2019 

Ohio State has added another quarterback to its 2019 roster.  Jagger LaRoe, who spent last season at Texas A&M, announced Sunday on Twitter that he is transferring to Ohio State. 

A native of Colleyville, Texas, LaRoe did not see any playing time in his lone season with the Aggies. A preferred walk-on, LaRoe comes to Ohio State as a redshirt freshman with four remaining years of eligibility, and under recent NCAA transfer rule changes, he is immediately eligible to play since he was a walk-on at Texas A&M.

Before Texas A&M, LaRoe threw for 3,029 yards and 33 touchdowns with only five interceptions in his senior season at Colleyville Heritage High School. He transferred to Colleyville after playing at Bishop Lynch in Dallas as a high school junior.

Ohio State now has six quarterbacks on its roster for the 2019 season, also including scholarship players Justin Fields, Gunnar Hoak and Chris Chugunov (who each also transferred from other Power 5 schools) and walk-ons Danny Vanatsky and JP Andrade.

Edited by LTtxfan