AeroHorn

Tesla

2 hours ago, MrBig said:

It seems like once your dick goes inside Amber Heard, your mind goes off the rails.

I'd volunteer to find out.  For science.

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

I hear this one from time to time and it's a bit of a head-scratcher.  Oregon Trail was first released in 1971 (although not widely until '78).  You were born in 82/83, didn't hit elementary school until 87/88, and wouldn't have been of an age to access that game until around '92 or '93.  What on earth does what was at the time you played it, an relatively ancient game that people were playing on an Apple II half a decade before you were born?   I think people will come up with anything to not be called a Millennial, but sorry dude - that's your generation.  You were in high school for 9/11.  You're a prime Millennial.  Someone in their mid forties could maybe make an argument for "Oregon Trail Generation", but they're already generally considered GenX and safe from Millennial shaming.  Someone who was in fifth or sixth grade circa 1985 (when the game had a wide rerelease) would probably have the best claim for the OTG moniker, and I've seen some reasonable arguments that those born 75-79 fit the bill for a pocket generation between X and M.  But born in 82/83?  You're just in denial, man.  :)

k boomer you're bad at math. born in 82, sophomore at UT during 9/11.  we were playing carmen sandiego and oregon trail in 1st grade.  

Every generation has the same problem - they encompass too large an age range. Take the boomers (no, seriously, take them). They are defined as persons born between 1944 and 1964. You think someone who entered the work force in 1962 may have slightly different outlooks, experiences, values, and priorities than someone who was in high school in 1982?

2 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

I hear this one from time to time and it's a bit of a head-scratcher.  Oregon Trail was first released in 1971 (although not widely until '78).  You were born in 82/83, didn't hit elementary school until 87/88, and wouldn't have been of an age to access that game until around '92 or '93.  What on earth does what was at the time you played it, an relatively ancient game that people were playing on an Apple II half a decade before you were born?   I think people will come up with anything to not be called a Millennial, but sorry dude - that's your generation.  You were in high school for 9/11.  You're a prime Millennial.  Someone in their mid forties could maybe make an argument for "Oregon Trail Generation", but they're already generally considered GenX and safe from Millennial shaming.  Someone who was in fifth or sixth grade circa 1985 (when the game had a wide rerelease) would probably have the best claim for the OTG moniker, and I've seen some reasonable arguments that those born 75-79 fit the bill for a pocket generation between X and M.  But born in 82/83?  You're just in denial, man.  :)

exactly.  I played OT when I was in elementary and I'm GenX.  Game was the shit yo.  It single-handily kept me on task and on good behavior so I could get free time on that green pixelated screen.

https://electrek.co/2020/05/15/tesla-factory-austin-texas/

Tesla’s next factory is going to be in Austin, Texas and it’s going to happen quickly

A source familiar with the matter told Electrek that Tesla has chosen Austin, Texas for its next factory and it’s going to happen quickly.

The race to secure Tesla’s next factory is apparently over.

According to a reliable source familiar with the matter, Tesla CEO Elon Musk is set on bringing the next Tesla Gigafactory, or now Terafactory, to Austin, Texas, or at least close to the city.

The people familiar with the project said that Musk has tasked the engineering team working at Gigafactory Nevada to start the process for the new factory, which is expected to make the Tesla Cybertruck electric pickup truck and the Model Y.

Tesla’s CEO also reportedly wants to move extremely fast.

We are told that the decision for the site is not set in stone since Tesla was apparently given a few options in the greater Austin area, but Musk is said to want to start construction extremely soon and aims to have Model Y vehicles coming out of the plant by the end of the year.

It would be an even more aggressive timeline than Gigafactory Shanghai.

However, we are told that Tesla would aim to only have a general assembly line ready on that timeline and it would keep building the factory around the first phase in order to increase production capacity of different parts next year.

By late next year, the new Texas factory would be producing Tesla’s new Cybertruck electric pickup.

Tesla already has some connections to Austin, Texas.

When Tesla started building a team of chip engineers for its Autopilot hardware 3.0, it hired several engineers from AMD’s corporate offices in Austin and Tesla decided to open an office there for its Autopilot hardware engineers.

Recently, Musk has been talking about moving Tesla’s California operations to Nevada and/or Texas due to the automaker’s difficulties working with the local government to reopen the Fremont factory, where it currently produces most of its vehicles.

This project is not directly related to that announcement.

We are talking here about Tesla’s previously announced plans to build a ‘Cybertruck Gigafactory’ in “central US”.

Electrek’s Take

I think most people won’t be surprised by the news. Elon seems to have been leaning toward Texas for a while now.

But the timeline was really surprising to me.

This source has been really reliable in the past and they seem adamant that Tesla is pushing to have cars coming out of the factory by December, which just sounds crazy.

Although we are talking about just general assembly here so it’s not like Gigafactory Shanghai, which was built on a quick timeline too, though not as aggressive as this.

Tesla had Gigafactory Shanghai producing cars within a year after starting construction, but it was also producing the body of the vehicles and for now, it sounds like the bodies of the Model Y vehicles coming out of the new Texas factory would be produced in Fremont.

Therefore, I don’t think it’s impossible, but like it’s often the case with Tesla, the timeline is extremely aggressive.

What do you think? Let us know in the comment section below.

We will try to keep you updated on Tesla’s plans for the new factory. If you know anything about it, don’t hesitate to reach out to me at Fred@electrek.co, via Wickr: Fredev, or through my social media: Twitter and Instagram.

16 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Let’s see if he’s smart enough to avoid Travis County 

Frame Switch, TX between Hutto and Taylor (Williamson County) was the runner-up to Reno back in 2014 for that factory.  I'd speculate that is where it ends up.

https://www.statesman.com/article/20140918/BUSINESS/309189542

While chasing Tesla, Austin area finds ‘game-changer site’

By Laylan Copelin
Posted Sep 18, 2014 at 12:01 AM
Updated Sep 25, 2018 at 10:45 PM

Officials with Tesla Motors visited Williamson County at least eight times over six months as they sought a site for the company's $5 billion battery factory, going as far as hiring an Austin lawyer to negotiate in a series of meetings with local and state officials.

The electric car company's intense interest in 1,200-plus acres between Hutto and Taylor galvanized the two communities and Williamson County to create a rare megasite for manufacturing served by a rail line.

The Hutto-Taylor site fell just short this month when Tesla chose Reno, Nev., for its groundbreaking, $5 billion battery factory and the 6,500 jobs expected to come along with it

1 minute ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

I’ll hold my excitement until we know how much we taxpayers will be forced to give up in tax incentives/corporate welfare. 

Yep. It’s the Texas way though. 

21 hours ago, Somnio said:

Frame Switch, TX between Hutto and Taylor (Williamson County) was the runner-up to Reno back in 2014 for that factory.  I'd speculate that is where it ends up.

https://www.statesman.com/article/20140918/BUSINESS/309189542

I miss the old beer joint at Frame Switch. Used to annoy the cotton farmers when us snotty college guys used to stop in for a quick beer on occasion.

8 minutes ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

He wants production in 6 months, needs to find a decent factory to upgrade. Wait I know, there’s one in Buffalo NY not being used!

Austin has a closed Motorola facility on 183 in East Austin that could possibly work if they want to repurpose an existing facility.

Posted (edited)

And there is an unused freight rail line owned by Capital Metro very nearby to the tract in question.  It is also along the Mokan ROW.

Capital Metro Green Line

Add in a soon to be completed major upgrade to 183, and the airport just a few miles away, and the site could be a winner.

Edited by Somnio

that  railroad used to be called the Katy.  (Missouri-Kansas-Texas)
The “Mokan” is a media fabrication. From the 1970s

So media reports that its down to Tulsa or Austin. Which means Tulsa will offer free land and no taxes in perpetuity and Tesla will use that in bargaining with Austin which won't go quite so far but will still win because we can't compete other than corporate welfare. And the whole thing will end up being a complete scam, because Musk is a scam artist. Another fucking corporate welfare circus. At least the country dumbshits here are having fun shitting on California cause it makes them somehow feel better about their miserable selves.

6 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Sounds like FM 3349 in Hutto is where they are looking

Whole lotta nothing out there.

21 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

You talking about the RCR Taylor Logistics Park?

Looks like it will be across from the RCR. So the west side of 3349, just south of 79. 300+ acre patch with intent to buy more adjacent 

Posted (edited)

Lulz, some nerd has already marked it on Google Maps.

Edited by clapclapclap
Near the Hutto Spaghettios plant

3 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Dammit, that's a nice stretch of country road to haul ass down and do an Italian tune-up.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:23 PM, Armybrat said:

that  railroad used to be called the Katy.  (Missouri-Kansas-Texas)
The “Mokan” is a media fabrication. From the 1970s

It was named after the Mokans Academy.

"Write off the car, not the motorboat."

On 5/19/2020 at 11:13 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Tulsa is all in on the competition with Austin for Tesla. 

We will gladly donate the first 10K employees, who has a few buses with enough room for tents?