Doc Reeves

How Do You Develop An Idea Into An App?

So one of my friends has a great idea for a new app. It fills a need for musicians and currently there is nothing in the app stores that would provide its service. 

His idea is well thought out, fairly well roughed out as far as design and would truly fill a sizable niche. The thing is, he is a brilliant musician but has no money for a venture this size on his own or any idea how to go about turn his idea it into something tangible.

What might be some options for somebody like him? I know there are plenty of companies who can take ideas and develop them, that other investment/crowd source websites for investment. I’ve done a little research but theres a huge spectrum of companies and options. 

Could any of you guys in the know point us in the right direction? 

Edited by Doc Reeves

Are there any apps that are specific to musicians? If so, find out what companies developed them. Start with those. And get an attorney to make sure he protects his idea while shopping it around

As an IP lawyer, here is a way to proceed.

First, find a regular-dude coder, not some company. A pro, but one that can do this in his spare time or as a freelancer. Then have an agreement, in writing, that any app product he develops is solely owned (intellectual property wise and every other way) by your guy with proceeds/revenues to be split 50/50 or whatever.  If needed give the developer the first $2500 or whatever.

?????

Profit.

Also, if you are trying to sell "an idea" to a company, that almost never works and it is challenging to impossible to protect yourself from being ripped off.

A company is much more likely to pay you if you have at least a prototype, that is, the idea has become tangible, even if crudely so.  It is also easier to protect (copyright, patent (NO!), trade secret) if it has been developed beyond a vague idea.

^^^ Wrong. Go to Upwork.com and search for app developer.

Edit: Developing the app is only the first step. Getting it "discovered" (marketed) is also difficult and possibly just as expensive. 

Edited by Bill Clay
moar

If the idea is an app for musicians, I would think finding a well known musician to put their name on it may be worth upwards to 50% of the revenue.  And they will cover zero of the costs.   Does your friend know famous musicians?  

I would also question the market size for an idea.  A musician who hangs around nothing but musicians may falsely think everyone in the world needs this.  When in reality maybe 10,000 could find it useful, and 1% of them would pay $2 for it.  Before anyone spends $1 on dev work, take the time to understand the feasibility. 

If the idea is an app for musicians, I would think finding a well known musician to put their name on it may be worth upwards to 50% of the revenue.  And they will cover zero of the costs.   Does your friend know famous musicians?  
I would also question the market size for an idea.  A musician who hangs around nothing but musicians may falsely think everyone in the world needs this.  When in reality maybe 10,000 could find it useful, and 1% of them would pay $2 for it.  Before anyone spends $1 on dev work, take the time to understand the feasibility. 

Romeo Rose is available

Before worrying about developing the app or patenting anything, tell him to do thorough market research. How many customers are out there? How much would they be willing to pay for this product? What is different about this product (i.e. what product does it solve that isn’t currently being solved by existing products)? How is he going to reach these customers and what will be the cost of acquiring new ones? A little diligence up front is well worth the time. 

Assuming he gets satisfactory answers to all of the above questions, he needs to think about how to build out a software organization. Freelancers on Upwork may be good enough to get you through the wireframe phase but it’s highly unlikely that you’ll get anything robust enough that you can charge for it. Even simple apps require a ton of development resources so he either needs to learn to code it himself (which is a full time job) and/or find developers willing to dedicate significant time to it. This likely involves giving them salary and equity.

TLDR: it’s a lot harder than you think.

And to add onto Auto’s comment, market research can also help with the design.  Some assumptions may be validated and others rejected.  That can save plenty of time and money later. 

Another benefit of market research is that it can be used to secure investors.