Covington Catholic - MAGA DC Incident

Hank Kingsley

I found the fifteen minute video to be very persuasive. Whoopi Goldberg and the host of the Daily Show make the key point near the end. Why do we, led by TV news outlets, rush so quickly to reach a conclusion and then so reluctantly abandon it when we're wrong?

Has anyone discredited that video? If not, the common perception of that event is way off. The people of color, a fraud and the Black Israelites, were the bad actors in this

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

GOP Clock Boy.  He needs to fuck off but this is America so he'll reach for some $ via a lawsuit.

Quite the man you are. Kid/minor/ HS kid gets assaulted by an adult who claims to be a Viet Nam war vet, turns out he wasn't.  Kid did nothing but stand there, and let the guy go off on him. Then the Washington post makes lots of declarative (false as it turns out) claims about the incident, and the MINOR kid, all proven to be false.

A $250m lawsuit ?  Probably over the top, but because it's a republican it's all good right ?  RIGHT ?  

I would like to see your reasons for calling the kid clock boy ?  I think the fake war veteran would be better suited for the term, you know lying and such about his service in the war.  Care to comment on that ?  You know, about the guy who actually instigated the entire incident.

• Like 1

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Quite the man you are. Kid/minor/ HS kid gets assaulted by an adult who claims to be a Viet Nam war vet, turns out he wasn't.  Kid did nothing but stand there, and let the guy go off on him. Then the Washington post makes lots of declarative (false as it turns out) claims about the incident, and the MINOR kid, all proven to be false.

A $250m lawsuit ?  Probably over the top, but because it's a republican it's all good right ?  RIGHT ?  

I would like to see your reasons for calling the kid clock boy ?  I think the fake war veteran would be better suited for the term, you know lying and such about his service in the war.  Care to comment on that ?  You know, about the guy who actually instigated the entire incident.

I am a man (40).  Don't get your panties in a twist.  Just pointing out that clock boy was embraced by the Left and he filed a lawsuit.  This kid has been embraced by the Right and filed a lawsuit.  Clock boy did it on purpose and played the race card...hi DD...while this kid got caught in a media shitshow while minding his own business.  Not talking about the merits, just the similarities.  

The press getting sued is one thing, interesting to see how it turns out.  The twitterverse players getting sued is another far more interesting piece in this to me.  The piling on  with XYZ descriptors with the type of comments used against this minor that were proven false as the truth came out.  

Don't know how it will play out but:

/popcorn.gif

It looks like he's got some pretty strong claims for reverse racism. But one thing he needs to make sure he puts in his pleadings is that he's not even mad, he's actually laughing. Also will need to say in his deposition that he feels sorry for the Washington Post and that he hopes it gets help. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, zork said:

The press getting sued is one thing, interesting to see how it turns out.  The twitterverse players getting sued is another far more interesting piece in this to me.  The piling on  with XYZ descriptors with the type of comments used against this minor that were proven false as the truth came out.  

Don't know how it will play out but:

/popcorn.gif

Haha somehow your real post is actually stupider than mine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, zork said:

idk what will happen.  but i'm interested.  thanks for sharing your opinion of my lame post.

The reason you don't know what is going to happen is because you are stupid. I should have made that clearer, especially when I knew I was dealing with a stupid person. So really, I owe you an apology. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

I am a man (40).  Don't get your panties in a twist.  Just pointing out that clock boy was embraced by the Left and he filed a lawsuit.  This kid has been embraced by the Right and filed a lawsuit.  Clock boy did it on purpose and played the race card...hi DD...while this kid got caught in a media shitshow while minding his own business.  Not talking about the merits, just the similarities.  

Thanks for the response, but he isn't anything like the clock Boy, who was used by his POS father. 

That was a manufactured fake incident, and this kid was made out to be the instigator.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The reason you don't know what is going to happen is because you are stupid. I should have made that clearer, especially when I knew I was dealing with a stupid person. So really, I owe you an apology. 

i suspect the most likely thing to happen is some type of quiet settlement from the press side but I don't know and neither do you.  the level of stupidity my posts show certainly know no bounds.  especially so to people who seemingly know it all without regard to whether they actually do or not. 

I'm not sure I've actually engaged you in conversation on this site or before?  Thanks for following my stupidity over the years, really.  I check this site and others for entertainment value as well with stupid comments being a large part of the infotainment we all share with each other with our posts and some valid opinion and facts interspersed.

Minors should get a break when possible.  Just wearing a hat doesn't change that in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Oh, a 16 year old kid wants to sue for $250 million? Sure thing.  This just smells like GOP operative led attack on the Washington Post. 

Yeah that's horrid, despicable, and just mean. As opposed to the Washington Post attacking a 16 year old kid, which is totally cool apparently, if he's wearing the wrong color hat.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Oh, a 16 year old kid wants to sue for $250 million? Sure thing.  This just smells like GOP operative led attack on the Washington Post. 

Which weighs against a quiet settlement.  If it is being funded behind the scenes, no settlement and however it ends will be appealed to test the limits of Thomas's declaration that NYT v. Sullivan needs to go.

21 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah that's horrid, despicable, and just mean. As opposed to the Washington Post attacking a 16 year old kid, which is totally cool apparently, if he's wearing the wrong color hat.

What specifically did the Washington Post say? I haven’t seen specifics from articles I’ve read.

19 minutes ago, sidis said:

p03txnvb.jpg

tm3.jpg?resize=590,480

last known pic before he died above. one lawsuit details from that case, a few at least:

Spoiler

MIAMI — The parents of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed teenager who was shot by George Zimmerman last year, have settled a wrongful-death lawsuit against the homeowners’ association in the gated community where he was killed.

At the time of the shooting, Mr. Zimmerman was the neighborhood watch captain at the development, the Retreat at Twin Lakes in Sanford, Fla., where he lived with his wife. A homeowners’ association newsletter sent to residents in February 2012, the same month as the shooting, cited Mr. Zimmerman as the person to contact for neighborhood watch issues. The newsletter suggested that if concerns arose, they first call the police and then alert Mr. Zimmerman.

After Mr. Martin’s death, his parents, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, sued the association for wrongful death. The amount of the settlement was not revealed. As is customary in such settlements, the association admitted no guilt in Mr. Martin’s death and all parties are bound to confidentiality. The Orlando Sentinel obtained the portion of the settlement that was made public Friday at the Seminole County courthouse.

The Martin family’s lawyer, Benjamin Crump, has said he planned to file a separate lawsuit against Mr. Zimmerman at a later date.

The Martin family and the association tried to settle the lawsuit through mediation earlier in the year but talks fell apart after Mr. Martin’s parents rejected a $1 million offer, said Mark O’Mara, Mr. Zimmerman’s criminal lawyer. Negotiations later resumed and the two sides ultimately reached an agreement. The Travelers Casualty and Surety Company of America is the association’s insurer.

Didn't see any lawsuits beyond that one and the fact the feds declined to make it a hate crime.  Zimmerman lost his suits against the twitterverse it seems.  So that might be some correlation to this case?(other than the fact they both involved minor persons) 

Glad nobody died on the mall.

To a certain extent, as a young kid who has a lifetime of stuff ahead of him, presumably college, etc. there has been enough poop piled on him that I can see an interest in trying to vindicate himself in an ostensibly neutral forum rather than relying on the "youtube record," and hoping that college admissions people and those similarly situated got the "full story."

That said, I don't think this gets by the Sullivan (suck it, Clarence!) actual malice test.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

To a certain extent, as a young kid who has a lifetime of stuff ahead of him, presumably college, etc. there has been enough poop piled on him that I can see an interest in trying to vindicate himself in an ostensibly neutral forum rather than relying on the "youtube record," and hoping that college admissions people and those similarly situated got the "full story."

That said, I don't think this gets by the Sullivan (suck it, Clarence!) actual malice test.

Two different paths:  run right into Sullivan and appeal (that'll be the path if it is politically motivated) or avoid it all together because he is not any sort of public figure.

4 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Two different paths:  run right into Sullivan and appeal (that'll be the path if it is politically motivated) or avoid it all together because he is not any sort of public figure.

I think if it were politically motivated (meaning Trump or GOP-backed) we'd see some other lawyers involved.  Wood is a libel lawyer and the Kaintuck boys are local counsel.  I'm not seeing any overt political ties either way.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I guess you can't say malice was definitely involved, but enough of a track record of bashing anything to do with Trump or MAGA or republicans is pretty well established @ the WAPO.

That a minor was involved, and they were awful quick to just print a one sided, un investigated story shows negligence (is that grounds for a lawsuit ?).  

A minor was involved, and they didn't feel the need to check the story which happened in their own back yard. A message needs to be sent. The kids family was in fear for theIr lives because of a really bad hatchet job by the WAPO.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

He's probably already been auto-admitted to Liberty University with an offer to intern with Falwell Jr. at his Miami pool for the summers.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I guess you can't say malice was definitely involved, but enough of a track record of bashing anything to do with Trump or MAGA or republicans is pretty well established @ the WAPO.

That a minor was involved, and they were awful quick to just print a one sided, un investigated story shows negligence (is that grounds for a lawsuit ?).  

A minor was involved, and they didn't feel the need to check the story which happened in their own back yard. A message needs to be sent. The kids family was in fear for theIr lives because of a really bad hatchet job by the WAPO.

Don't believe any of that is relevant to a defamation claim.  It's all about whether the defendant, WaPo, acted with reckless disregard for the truth of the statements.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Don't believe any of that is relevant to a defamation claim.  It's all about whether the defendant, WaPo, acted with reckless disregard for the truth of the statements.

Yeah figured that. The press gets a pretty free hand to say just about what they want, which is good until it's abused by those very people we allow the freedom of their words.

It doesn't sound like they were too interested in finding out exactly what did happen however.  At what point would that be considered reckless disregard ?

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Maybe I have rose colored glasses, but I hope some good comes out of this. Perhaps the media (especially Twitter) will think twice before running with a "news" story that turns out to be false.

Nah. Who am I kidding. We are too far down the rabbit hole

Depends on the race of the accused offender. If the roles were reversed, it would be a courageous story about a minority standing up to an oppressor's actions.

Oh wait...that's exactly what the narrative was before all the facts came out.

Mentioned it on the Media Bias thread, but it seems incredibly coincidental that the Blacks For Trump guy and the blacks involved in the Mall stare down all come from the same infinitesimally small group. So I'm not sure whether that matter comes up during discovery (or private investions). Also, not sure if the Covington mom's tweet regarding the Native American genocide were ever confirmed as authentic, but would imagine that would attract more vitriol than anything her son did.

12 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah figured that. The press gets a pretty free hand to say just about what they want, which is good until it's abused by those very people we allow the freedom of their words.

It doesn't sound like they were too interested in finding out exactly what did happen however.  At what point would that be considered reckless disregard ?

Reckless is "worse" or more culpable than negligent.  So you don't get there by saying it was sloppy or could have been done better.  Probably have to show ignoring some evidence of falsity or deliberately ignoring certain sources or witnesses.  I think if you have to analyze it in terms of WaPo "should have" or "could have" done this or that, WaPo wins.

1 hour ago, seven said:

Would love known simpleton Onboard to cite the Washington post "bashing anything trump, maga, or republican". 

Fucking dunce thinks reporting on trump's malfeasance is "bashing". 

Astoundingly stupid. 

Hell, I'd like to see him explain what exactly was wrong with the Post's reporting on this story.

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I'd like to see anybody explain that.

Yeah reporting without verifying validity of the story for starters.  You don't see anything wrong with that ?  

A minor was involved, and that didn't even make them take a step back, and verify the accuracy of the highly edited videos, and their own reporting.  

Whether it rises to the level of a lawsuit I don't know, but that fact that none of y'all seem to have an issue with what they did speaks volumes about your morals and ethics, and sense of right and wrong.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah reporting without verifying validity of the story for starters.  You don't see anything wrong with that ?  

A minor was involved, and that didn't even make them take a step back, and verify the accuracy of the highly edited videos, and their own reporting.  

Whether it rises to the level of a lawsuit I don't know, but that fact that none of y'all seem to have an issue with what they did speaks volumes about your morals and ethics, and sense of right and wrong.

What does this mean? What did they report that they didn't previously verify? What did they report that was false?

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You are a Republican voter and you want to tell people about right and wrong?

OK.

• Like 1