Covington Catholic - MAGA DC Incident

Hank Kingsley

12 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Wearing a MAGA hat states allegiance to the President. It’s provocative but not a purely racist.. The silent majority of this country would find the author’s assertions to be a joke.

Waiting to post due to my NYR; But with every tweet and every dead or kidnapped kid sitting in a child concentration camp, it becomes more and more racist. 

due to what the president has said on the record, what makes you think it is NOT about white supremacy?

• Like 1

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/01/20/native-american-leader-nathan-phillips-recounts-incident-video/2630256002/

"They were in the process of attacking these four black individuals," Phillip said. "I was there and I was witnessing all of this ... As this kept on going on and escalating, it just got to a point where you do something or you walk away, you know? You see something that is wrong and you're faced with that choice of right or wrong. "

Phillips said some of the members of the Black Hebrew group were also acting up, "saying some harsh things" and that one member spit in the direction of the Catholic students. "So I put myself in between that, between a rock and hard place," he said. 

But then, the crowd of mostly male students turned their anger towards Phillips.

"There was that moment when I realized I've put myself between beast and prey," Phillips said. "These young men were beastly and these old black individuals was their prey, and I stood in between them and so they needed their pounds of flesh and they were looking at me for that."

The crowd of students, some of whom wore MAGA caps, mocked Native Americans while chanting "Build the Wall" and using derogatory language, he said. The students had a "mob mentality" that "was scary," Phillips said. "It was ugly, what these kids were involved in. It was racism. It was hatred. It was scary."

Speaking from his niece's home, Phillips said: "I'm a Marine Corps veteran and I know what that mob mentality can be like. That's where it was at. It got to a point where they just needed something for them to ... just tear them apart. I mean, it was that ugly."

Phillips said he recalled "the looks in these young men's faces .. I mean, if you go back and look at the lynchings that was done (in America) ...and you'd see the faces on the people ... The glee and the hatred in their faces, that's what these faces looked like."

Correction: This story has been updated to clarify the original description of Nathan Phillips’ military service. Phillips is a Vietnam-era veteran who served in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve from May 1972 to May 1976 and did not deploy to a war zone, according to a U.S. Marines spokesperson.

The kids did not "attack" the four black dudes. The four black dudes were screaming racial taunts at the "white" kids, and when they realized there were a few black kids, starting calling them then n-word, to which some of the kids responded "we love you dude". Kids waiting for a bus. Not lynching anyone.

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/01/20/native-american-leader-nathan-phillips-recounts-incident-video/2630256002/

The kids did not "attack" the four black dudes. The four black dudes were screaming racial taunts at the "white" kids, and when they realized there were a few black kids, starting calling them then n-word, to which some of the kids responded "we love you dude". Kids waiting for a bus. Not lynching anyone.

Feel better?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

22 hours ago, Foosters said:

Um, Smax is kinda known as the board's resident racist. Now, he'll always tell you that you're reading too much into his comments, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Kinda like you and Muslims

I'm the boards resident racist?

Now that is fucking hilarious

as to your question about my comment, it wasn't towards the kids being shot it was to the complaint that poor people cant afford pr firms

6 hours ago, achooloco said:

Waiting to post due to my NYR; But with every tweet and every dead or kidnapped kid sitting in a child concentration camp, it becomes more and more racist. 

due to what the president has said on the record, what makes you think it is NOT about white supremacy?

Deleted.

Edited by Cajun
not worth it

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

He’s going to sue the liar Nathan Phillips? For what? A 1984 Jayco travel trailer and some drums? I’d pass and just let bygones be bygones relatives! 

Hey, this is the sock you use to pretend you aren't a racist. Log off and log back in.

• Like 6

On 1/25/2019 at 12:23 PM, Asithappens said:

Look, imo the kids were kind of assholes. But... they are kids. Give them a break. If you're going to go full batshit angry then take your vitriol out on their parents. 

The Black Hebrew Israelites (if I got that right) are the real assholes here. That Indian dude? Well meaning, but clueless. Maybe he's still trying to wrap his head around White Clay not selling beer anymore. (joke)

This is NOT (imo) the thing that anti-Trumpers should hang their hat on. And, full disclosure, I am an anti-Trumper.

This is the first post I read in this thread and I’m pretty sure I don’t need to read anymore.

6 hours ago, Atx71 said:

Just copying the atl. rights M.O.

Parkland school kids say hi. 

Well, I do not support using kids for fake outrage regardless of alt left or alt right. Reasonable people should be able to stand above silly fake news outrage and stand for a principle. It would be refreshing if it ever happened, but we must feed to addiction to outrage no matter what the cost.

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

Well, I do not support using kids for fake outrage regardless of alt left or alt right. Reasonable people should be able to stand above silly fake news outrage and stand for a principle. It would be refreshing if it ever happened, but we must feed to addiction to outrage no matter what the cost.

Rupert Murdoch has made a fortune pandering to white rage. 

On 1/23/2019 at 9:23 AM, David Dennison said:

MAGA hats are a symbol of white supremacy.

This could really be its own thread.

I have given this some thought along the lines of "what would it take for someone to wear one of these in public?"

Not at a rally or some campaign type of safe space  function but just wearing it "out", so to speak.

So, first off, the Covington kids get a pass on this because they are just stupid teenagers and also at a rally.

Second, it has to be a MAGA hat.  Not a "Donald Trump for president" hat or t-shirt.

So you have, lets say, 35% of the voters who are  rigid Trump supporters.  Some of these people are just not going to put on that hat for a number of reasons.  Maybe they have really good hair, don't look good in red, slogan's are not their thing, don't really like the slogan, support only goes as far a their vote etc.  

So lets say that cuts it down to 20%.  Of that 20%, some just think it is a campaign slogan like "morning in America" or "hope and Change".  The hat goes into a hat rotation and they think nothing of it and wear it when its time comes up.

So lets say that cuts it down to 10%. Of that 10%, some think it stands for tariffs, jobs, draining the swamp, the wall, tax cuts, Donald Trump, etc. and they wear it proudly wherever they go.

So then we are down to the final 5%.  In this number are the people that still fly the stars and bars but also people that know that they can't do that, but they can wear this MAGA cap instead.

I think this a pretty unique phenomenon whether you agree with my randomly applied percentages or not. After all, I can't think of a single election slogan in my lifetime that has had the same traction and life long after the election was over.  Like it or not it has become a symbol of many things and one of those things is racism, but not exclusively, of course.

When I see one, I steer clear, just like I do when I see confederate flag. 

4 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I did meet many of my neighbors more than 20 years ago wearing a Jesse Jackson/Keep Hope Alive T-shirt.  Wife threw out the t-shirt during one of the subsequent winters.s-l300.jpg

Same issue, or apples and naranjas?

th?id=OIP.FeHOFDDEEn-ixRP93txaWQHaKf&pid

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I feel dumber for reading that bullshit article. Thanks a lot David Dennison. I love how the left says wearing MAGA gear is provocative. So Beto signs, t-shirts, etc are fine to serve as a “tribal” identifier for other Democrats but Trump supporters should feel bad and be deprived of doing the same by showing their gang affiliation. 

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I feel dumber for reading that bullshit article. Thanks a lot David Dennison. I love how the left says wearing MAGA gear is provocative. So Beto signs, t-shirts, etc are fine to serve as a “tribal” identifier for other Democrats but Trump supporters should feel bad and be deprived of doing the same by showing their gang affiliation. 

I agree with some of that, but if you really don't see how the MAGA hats, being associated with basically a racist man, are not quite the same as Beto t-shirts then you're just being intentionally ignorant.

Just now, Asithappens said:

I agree with some of that, but if you really don't see how the MAGA hats, being associated with basically a racist man, are not quite the same as Beto t-shirts then you're just being intentionally ignorant.

No doubt it is more provocative because Trump is an asshole. That being said it is still protected free speech of the political kind which is the most highly valued and protected in this country. I don’t think arguing against people wearing that stuff is a smart play for the Dems to make not that I care or want them to succeed 

7 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

No doubt it is more provocative because Trump is an asshole. That being said it is still protected free speech of the political kind which is the most highly valued and protected in this country. I don’t think arguing against people wearing that stuff is a smart play for the Dems to make not that I care or want them to succeed 

No, Trump is a racist. Or, if he isn't, he acts like one. That's on a level different from garden variety ahole.

Call Trump out for what he is. Call out his supporters (some of them, anyway) for what they are.

Look, we have all seen that there is no reasoning with his "base". Those deplorables would vote to give their own kids cancer. Which they've done.

14 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

MAGA gear is provocative because the purveyor of said gear is a known racist. 

• Like 1

Excuse me...excuse me...What about the 'alt-left' that came charging them? Excuse me. What about the alt-left that came charging at the -- as you say, the alt-right? Do they have any semblance of guilt? ... Let me ask you this. What about the fact they came charging -- that they came charging with clubs in their hands, swinging clubs? Do they have any problem? I think they do.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:17 PM, Kyle said:

Chuckle. CNN ran more than 64 fake news stories on the first day. Nothing like bullying teenagers to feed the outrage addiction.

The demand for racism outstrips the supply and that’s how we end up with hoaxes like this, Michael Bennett, and the Lebron graffiti.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The demand for racism outstrips the supply and that’s how we end up with hoaxes like this, Michael Bennett, and the Lebron graffiti.

Disagree. There are plenty of stories out there on all topics to be reported. But news outlets have become just as lazy as the general public and report on the "events" that will get them the most eyeballs/clicks. 

It's a ratings business anymore.

• Like 1