Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

On 6/29/2020 at 4:39 PM, Hank Scorpio said:

I know that this coaching staff is absolutely amazing at everything that we can see, from recruiting to developing to game day coaching. I also know that part of what creates that greatness is the refusal to be satisfied with where you are at. In your opinion, where does this coaching staff most need to improve?

hahahahaha 

I think my greatest weakness is I work so hard. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

A&M has to lose 4-5 players over the course of about six weeks, and nothing about that in the chat 

You’re not seeing things correctly. 

That school west of us lied about the new Covid rules and now we have to “medically retire” these poor kids. It’s not OUR fault we wus lied too. 

6 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Does the current recruiting environment give us an edge with our coaches' ability to evaluate talent and make offers to kids that are a little under the radar as opposed to say texas who's staff has historically seemed to rely on others to help find talent, whether recruiting services or who Jimbo offers? 

I do believe so, yes. Just look at the guys they are looking at out of state. I think this cycle will really expose Texas and Herman when it comes to their (lack of) evaluation skill. Longhorns won't like hearing that today and will challenge it but I've seen it too much under his staff already and a lot of those times it's with guys that the Aggies either passed on altogether or were (and if you follow closely, you know who they are), at best lukewarm on. You won't see it right away because the national services have historically overrated their prospects and continue to do so today but you'll see it as the 2021 class gets into their second and third years on campus or via very early attrition.

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

• Like 2

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

And now, a quick break from aggy racism with a nice BOMC thread. It's like the wholesome comfort of a scoop of good vanilla ice cream.

Hide contents

EbulrFjWAAIEARB?format=jpg&name=360x360EbulrsRXYAYr60O?format=png&name=360x360EbulsYoWsAI7gnu?format=jpg&name=360x360Ebuls_zWoAYkMpS?format=png&name=360x360

I like the idea that these people believe roach has any pull or say in a recruit’s ranking. That dude isn’t invited to those meetings. He just types out content and gets a pat on the head from Burton. He’s a wobbly axis’d non entity. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Where are you seeing this? I thought they already got down to 86 or 87

I'm probably wrong, tbh. I'm going off memory from when I was following this stuff more closely pre-covid 

20 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm probably wrong, tbh. I'm going off memory from when I was following this stuff more closely pre-covid 

I think you're correct - the last numbers I remember seeing were 4-5, assuming those in the portal left.  

Perroni on his CBs (aggy unless marked otherwise)

tl;dr version:

Chappell: Love

Robbins: Like

Johnson: Like

Daniels: Like

Crownover: Like

Foster: Leave

Grimes: Love (UNC)

Burris: Like (OU)

Spoiler

Crystal Ball picks for A&M targets: Like it, Love it or Leave it
VIP ByBRIAN PERRONI 3 hours ago
10 Comments

Texas A&M currently has 10 commitments in the class of 2021 with two others from the class of 2020 set to count toward the 25-man camp.

That means there are still a number of spots left as Jimbo Fisher and Co. look to once again finish with a top-10 class.

The major targets for the Aggies are starting to take shape with both in-state and out-of-state prospects being on that list. So I decided to take a look at my current Crystal Ball predictions that involve A&M recruits.

Some of them are over a year old while others have been made recently. I broke them down into three categories – Like it, love it and leave it – with ‘love it’ being one that I am very confident on and ‘leave it’ being the one of least confidence.

PHILADELPHIA (PA.) NORTHEAST CB TYREEK CHAPPELL
Prediction: Texas A&M

Verdict: Love it

The speedy 5-foot-11, 177-pound defender is set to announce his decision this coming Saturday, July 4. A&M has done a very good job recruiting him and the Aggies are in good shape as Michigan, Pitt, Tennessee and West Virginia are the other finalists. I very much expect Chappell to be on the A&M commitment list come Saturday.

PHILADELPHIA (PA.) IMHOTEP DT TALEEQ ROBBINS

Verdict: Like it

Yet another target from Philadelphia, Robbins is very good friends with Chappell and landing the latter will definitely help with the former. He is also being recruited heavily by position coach Elijah Robinson, who grew up just across the river in New Jersey. Robbins is very likely headed to the SEC and I believe it will be to A&M, but I don’t want to completely count out Ole Miss, South Carolina or Georgia.

HOUSTON CY-FAIR RB LJ JOHNSON

A&M very, very much wants Johnson as part of this class and the Aggies are going all out for the national top-50 prospect. Texas is also a big player, as are Georgia, LSU and Oklahoma, but the 5-foot-10, 205-pounder is quite high on A&M. He does not have a timeline and instead plans to announce when he knows for sure where he wants to go. I like A&M’s chances a lot but I don’t consider him to be a lock or anything, thus the ‘like it.’

MIAMI (FLA.) CENTRAL RB AMARI DANIELS

A&M wants two backs in the class and Daniels is the player the Aggies have targeted along with Johnson. He is an all-purpose back, so the two would complement each other well. They also know each other and are fine with being in the same class. Daniels is pretty much an A&M/Miami battle as the hometown school is looking to keep him home. But, the Aggies have a lot of momentum. He plans decide at some point during the season and I like A&M’s chances.

GRANDVIEW TE/DE DAMETRIOUS CROWNOVER

The 6-foot-6, 235-pound four-star prospect plays both tight end and defensive end for Grandview. Though he is ranked as a tight end, he is being recruited to A&M as an ‘athlete.’ The Aggies like him and want to get him on campus and then decide his best spot. His older brother Earnest will be on scholarship as a running back in Aggieland this fall and, even before then, I liked A&M’s chances with Dametrious. I’m not quite ready to call him a lock but A&M looks good right now.

KATY TAYLOR OG BRYCE FOSTER

Verdict: Leave it

Foster is the Aggies’ top remaining offensive line target as the 6-foot-4.5, 330-pounder is one of the top guards in the country. He has ties to A&M with his older brother having played o-line for the Aggies and his mom being an Aggie as well. However, Oklahoma has done a really good job here. If he were to commit today, I think it would likely be to the Sooners. But, the top-70 prospect does not plan to decide until after taking his visits and A&M has a chance to show him an improved product on the field while continuing to able to take advantage of distance and family ties. I have this one at ‘Leave it’ because I think there’s a chance A&M wins out but it would not be the Aggies at this point. This pick was made over a year ago, though, and I don’t feel comfortable switching it to OU as there are so many factors in the Aggies’ favor.

VIRGINIA BEACH (VA.) PRINCESS ANNE CB TONY GRIMES
Prediction: North Carolina

Verdict: Love it

The five-star cornerback is set to announce his decision today. He has a final four of A&M, Georgia, North Carolina and Ohio State. Grimes visited A&M for close to a week each of the past two summers and was high on the Aggies but a pair of coaching changes – the cornerback coach in College State and the head coach at North Carolina – set the Tar Heels up well here. UNC has landed almost all of the top in-state prospects and is in very good shape to add an out-of-state one today in Grimes.

TEXARKANA PLEASANT GROVE DE MARCUS BURRIS
Prediction: Oklahoma

COMMENTS

It once looked like Texas A&M would land both Pleasant Grove four-star defensive ends in Burris and Landon Jackson. When Jackson committed to LSU, though, Burris became more open as well. Oklahoma is definitely the leader but I thought he would have committed by now. With more time passing, it gives other schools the opportunity to make a run at him. Also, Burris suffered an injury last week that will sideline him for his senior season, so that could put a wrench in things, too. I don’t think he ends up at A&M, but I don’t want to call him a lock to OU

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Perroni on his CBs (aggy unless marked otherwise)

tl;dr version:

Chappell: Love

Robbins: Like

Johnson: Like

Daniels: Like

Crownover: Like

Foster: Leave

Grimes: Love (UNC)

Burris: Like (OU)

Perroni hasn't put his customary aggy CB on every uncommitted target. I was going to say that this list is the safe prediction list (which it is), but it's also his only open CBs. It's still enjoyable that the group he's predicting to aggy is an average of .8981, bolstered by LJ, but there's not nearly enough sunshine being pumped. 

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Perroni hasn't put his customary aggy CB on every uncommitted target. I was going to say that this list is the safe prediction list (which it is), but it's also his only open CBs. It's still enjoyable that the group he's predicting to aggy is an average of .8981, bolstered by LJ, but there's not nearly enough sunshine being pumped. 

With aggy abandoning Texas for the Deep South and Mid-Atlantic, I'd imagine his usual sources (the aggy TXHSFB corch cabal and random trainers) haven't been sending him the usual sunshine.

8 minutes ago, Getafix said:

On Tony Grimes .... 

" ... at Texas A&M on a visit when North Carolina called." Lulz.

image.thumb.png.133d6c996aad1c46180151bd1548a4d4.png

Christian Parker was a defensive analyst ... aren't there constraints on being involved with recruits / recruiting?

image.thumb.png.aaef0081e71c3de9731702ec52f0856e.png

Jimbo has literally made the football program a cuck. 

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

On Tony Grimes .... 

" ... at Texas A&M on a visit when North Carolina called." Lulz.

image.thumb.png.133d6c996aad1c46180151bd1548a4d4.png

Christian Parker was a defensive analyst ... aren't there constraints on being involved with recruits / recruiting?

image.thumb.png.aaef0081e71c3de9731702ec52f0856e.png

Having a sitting national champion corch really coming through for UNC here. No such mention for Jimbo 🤣

• Like 1

Jimbo's contract: Actually good and a bargain!

Spoiler

Jimbo Fishers' salary approaching bargain status at A&M

My Boards
Back To Topics

Tarp
STAFF
Posted on 29 mins, , User Since 76 months ago, User Post Count: 0
29 mins
76 months

Texas A&M made headlines in 2017 when it lured away Florida State's Jimbo Fisher to College Station and gave him the largest amount of guaranteed money in college football history: $75 million over ten years. At the time, it made Fisher one of the three highest paid coaches in the sport along with Alabama's Nick Saban and Clemson's Dabo Swinney but Fisher brought one of the most impressive resumes in the sport to Aggieland. He won a national championship in 2013 with the Seminoles, made the College Football Playoffs with them the following season, and developed three first round draft picks in Tallahassee at the quarterback position. In addition, he was Saban's offensive coordinator in 2003 when the Tigers took home a national title and had reportedly been chased by multiple programs before landing with the Aggies.

Fisher and the Aggies have received criticism for the contract based on Fisher's last season at Florida State when he directed them to a .500 record before exiting the program and also the fact that the amount of money was far above that guaranteed to anyone else (although the annual salary was a different story). In addition, his first two seasons at A&M have resulted in 17 wins in 26 games and a 8-5 record in 2019 in which the Aggies didn't beat a single top ten program on the schedule. It harkened back to the contract that A&M gave his predecessor, Kevin Sumlin, in 2013...a $30 million extension that resulted in the Aggies cutting him a check when they let him go after the end of the 2017 regular season.

However, don't look now but Fisher may on the verge of being a bargain by all accounts. Fisher is now only the fifth highest paid coach in the country thanks to extensions given to Swinney and Ed Orgeron at LSU. Both earned theirs on the heels of national title runs and Orgeron is now set to earn about $9 million this season. In addition, he's behind the $8 million paid to Michigan's Jim Harbaugh who can't beat Ohio State or even make the Big Ten championship game.

Not only that, Fisher is just ahead of Auburn's Gus Malzahn at $6.9 million, Georgia' Kirby Smart at $6.8 million, Texas' Tom Herman at $6.7 million, and Purdue's Jeff Brohm at $6.6 million. None of those coaches have won a national title (although both Smart and Malzahn have played for them). Malzahn is perpetually on the hot seat with the Tigers, Herman had to turn over about half his staff after a disappointing 2019 campaign, and Brohm hasn't done much other than beat Ohio State in 2018.

Fisher has put together back to back top ten recruiting classes for the Aggies and returns most of his starting lineup for the 2020 season. When you combine that with a far easier schedule and the coaching and personnel losses that A&M's rivals in the SEC West suffered in the off season, it looks like that the best is yet to come for both Fisher and the Aggies. Not only that, A&M has Fisher locked up for seven more seasons after this one and it stands to reason that other coaches should cash in for bigger contracts after this season which should push Fisher down the list even further (much like Orgeron jumped him after the 2019 campaign).

Until Fisher wins something of consequence, criticism of his deal will always be lurking in the background. Nonetheless, if he comes through in 2020 as expected, such criticism will be pushed farther downhill and there will be more focus on the program than the money

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Fisher is now only the fifth highest paid coach in the country

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

In addition, he's behind the $8 million paid to Michigan's Jim Harbaugh who can't beat Ohio State or even make the Big Ten championship game.

so help me out, where did Michigan finish and where did aggy finish? Has Fisher beat Bama or even made an SEC championship game? 

Screen-Shot-2020-06-30-at-3-43-42-PM.png

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Brohm hasn't done much other than beat Ohio State in 2018.

At Purdue.

Brohm beat tOSU into submission while coaching at fucking Purdue. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, golfclap said:

Hahaha 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

FBE2-E825-7-FED-4-C81-BA26-60-C945424-B0

Lulz. The form on that first one is so bad. No breaking down, turns parallel with the LOS. He wouldn’t have had a chance even at making that tackle even if he was fast enough to beat @SydneyCarton in a foot race.

The third one is great too. I don’t care if the gif makes it look like there’s grass under his feet, that was absolutely a video of a man trying to run in quick sand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Jimbo's contract: Actually good and a bargain!

Hide contents

Jimbo Fishers' salary approaching bargain status at A&M

My Boards
Back To Topics

Tarp
STAFF
Posted on 29 mins, , User Since 76 months ago, User Post Count: 0
29 mins
76 months

Texas A&M made headlines in 2017 when it lured away Florida State's Jimbo Fisher to College Station and gave him the largest amount of guaranteed money in college football history: $75 million over ten years. At the time, it made Fisher one of the three highest paid coaches in the sport along with Alabama's Nick Saban and Clemson's Dabo Swinney but Fisher brought one of the most impressive resumes in the sport to Aggieland. He won a national championship in 2013 with the Seminoles, made the College Football Playoffs with them the following season, and developed three first round draft picks in Tallahassee at the quarterback position. In addition, he was Saban's offensive coordinator in 2003 when the Tigers took home a national title and had reportedly been chased by multiple programs before landing with the Aggies.

Fisher and the Aggies have received criticism for the contract based on Fisher's last season at Florida State when he directed them to a .500 record before exiting the program and also the fact that the amount of money was far above that guaranteed to anyone else (although the annual salary was a different story). In addition, his first two seasons at A&M have resulted in 17 wins in 26 games and a 8-5 record in 2019 in which the Aggies didn't beat a single top ten program on the schedule. It harkened back to the contract that A&M gave his predecessor, Kevin Sumlin, in 2013...a $30 million extension that resulted in the Aggies cutting him a check when they let him go after the end of the 2017 regular season.

However, don't look now but Fisher may on the verge of being a bargain by all accounts. Fisher is now only the fifth highest paid coach in the country thanks to extensions given to Swinney and Ed Orgeron at LSU. Both earned theirs on the heels of national title runs and Orgeron is now set to earn about $9 million this season. In addition, he's behind the $8 million paid to Michigan's Jim Harbaugh who can't beat Ohio State or even make the Big Ten championship game.

Not only that, Fisher is just ahead of Auburn's Gus Malzahn at $6.9 million, Georgia' Kirby Smart at $6.8 million, Texas' Tom Herman at $6.7 million, and Purdue's Jeff Brohm at $6.6 million. None of those coaches have won a national title (although both Smart and Malzahn have played for them). Malzahn is perpetually on the hot seat with the Tigers, Herman had to turn over about half his staff after a disappointing 2019 campaign, and Brohm hasn't done much other than beat Ohio State in 2018.

Fisher has put together back to back top ten recruiting classes for the Aggies and returns most of his starting lineup for the 2020 season. When you combine that with a far easier schedule and the coaching and personnel losses that A&M's rivals in the SEC West suffered in the off season, it looks like that the best is yet to come for both Fisher and the Aggies. Not only that, A&M has Fisher locked up for seven more seasons after this one and it stands to reason that other coaches should cash in for bigger contracts after this season which should push Fisher down the list even further (much like Orgeron jumped him after the 2019 campaign).

Until Fisher wins something of consequence, criticism of his deal will always be lurking in the background. Nonetheless, if he comes through in 2020 as expected, such criticism will be pushed farther downhill and there will be more focus on the program than the money

Summation: Fisher is about to be about a bargain because a&m’s schedule spreads like peanut butter. I shit you not.