Jump to content
closetojumping

Hustle Never Sleeps - The Oscar Giles Story

Recommended Posts

Given the frequency of the derails in threads associated with Oscar Giles taking hogger dumps on a repeated basis in various recruitments, I figured why not plunge in with a thread for our very own OG?

Giles is entrenched again at Texas because he's boys with Herman, after spending formative coaching years with Herman as a GA and then with him during his first HC tenure at UH. It's a blind spot for Herman, even though he's had to work to bail out Giles in a multitude of recruitments, or put Carrington on targets in order to sway them. 

"But closetojumping, what about recruits A, B, and C that 247/Rivals said he was the lead recruiter for!!!"

247/Rivals, if they're stating shit like this, are wrong. Carrington, Herman, and Meekins are directly responsible for virtually every DL that Texas has signed since 2017. Meekins landed Oliver for UH. Muschamp, Brown, Wyatt, and Applewhite played fundamental roles in landing Jeffcoat and others during the MB/OG era. Giles was the lead recruiter on K'Lavon Chaisson and misinformed Herman on status right up to the bitter end. OG also did the same with regard to Vernon Jackson in the 2018 cycle. The staff had to scramble on signing day in an attempt to convince Jackson that he could play running back at Texas. Giles was likely napping during the conversations in which Jackson stated this importance in his recruitment. 

"But closetojumping, Oscar Giles is an amaze-balls developer of talent!?!?"

When this argument is made, it usually comes with references to Big 12 DLPOYs in Big Poon and Omenihu. Omenihu, meanwhile, gives a ton of credit to his trainer in Houston, Nathan O'Neal, for his "development". O'Neal works specifically with DLs, and not so coincidentally, Omenihu started working with him last spring. Omenihu had a good season this year, but he wasn't some force to be reckoned with throughout the year. He played well and put up solid stats in a league that doesn't play defense outside of Texas and occasionally TCU and KSU. Any single person taking, or being given, credit for the remarkable journey of Poona Ford is full of shit. But, hey, Giles was around for a season of Ford at Texas. 

In short, Oscar Giles is a mediocrity on the Texas staff. They could do better with an additional coach on the DL that actually does work in recruiting, or they could simply do better with someone else that contributes in recruiting and is comparable or better with developing talent. The notion that Texas couldn't is handwringing saarvanashery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Given the frequency of the derails in threads associated with Oscar Giles taking hogger dumps on a repeated basis in various recruitments, I figured why not plunge in with a thread for our very own OG?

Giles is entrenched again at Texas because he's boys with Herman, after spending formative coaching years with Herman as a GA and then with him during his first HC tenure at UH. It's a blind spot for Herman, even though he's had to work to bail out Giles in a multitude of recruitments, or put Carrington on targets in order to sway them. 

"But closetojumping, what about recruits A, B, and C that 247/Rivals said he was the lead recruiter for!!!"

247/Rivals, if they're stating shit like this, are wrong. Carrington, Herman, and Meekins are directly responsible for virtually every DL that Texas has signed since 2017. Meekins landed Oliver for UH. Muschamp, Brown, Wyatt, and Applewhite played fundamental roles in landing Jeffcoat and others during the MB/OG era. Giles was the lead recruiter on K'Lavon Chaisson and misinformed Herman on status right up to the bitter end. OG also did the same with regard to Vernon Jackson in the 2018 cycle. The staff had to scramble on signing day in an attempt to convince Jackson that he could play running back at Texas. Giles was likely napping during the conversations in which Jackson stated this importance in his recruitment. 

"But closetojumping, Oscar Giles is an amaze-balls developer of talent!?!?"

When this argument is made, it usually comes with references to Big 12 DLPOYs in Big Poon and Omenihu. Omenihu, meanwhile, gives a ton of credit to his trainer in Houston, Nathan O'Neal, for his "development". O'Neal works specifically with DLs, and not so coincidentally, Omenihu started working with him last spring. Omenihu had a good season this year, but he wasn't some force to be reckoned with throughout the year. He played well and put up solid stats in a league that doesn't play defense outside of Texas and occasionally TCU and KSU. Any single person taking, or being given, credit for the remarkable journey of Poona Ford is full of shit. But, hey, Giles was around for a season of Ford at Texas. 

In short, Oscar Giles is a mediocrity on the Texas staff. They could do better with an additional coach on the DL that actually does work in recruiting, or they could simply do better with someone else that contributes in recruiting and is comparable or better with developing talent. The notion that Texas couldn't is handwringing saarvanashery. 

Honestly, I'm just fucking marveled by the number of obvious negative data points that have been and continue to get attributed to the guy, and yet there are still people that will line up to defend him. It's fucking baffling to me. In many ways, it's even more obvious how terrible he was than Greg Davis. At least with Davis, we still scored points, we still won a lot of games. At this point, without Mack Brown essentially stockpiling his position with talent, the guy is running out of any positive he can point to in regards to performing his job requirements. Particularly if a guy like Omenihu is crediting his development to his fucking local trainer. But here we are. 

Now to the important question...do I embrace all of my natural pettiness and my general predisposition towards being an asshole and tag Scholz? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, texifornia said:

I'd think you'd enjoy having the strong personal #brand on the board.

I like the part where he's now directly associated with Oscar Giles. Even tangentially. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Honestly, I'm just fucking marveled by the number of obvious negative data points that have been and continue to get attributed to the guy, and yet there are still people that will line up to defend him. It's fucking baffling to me. In many ways, it's even more obvious how terrible he was than Greg Davis. At least with Davis, we still scored points, we still won a lot of games. At this point, without Mack Brown essentially stockpiling his position with talent, the guy is running out of any positive he can point to in regards to performing his job requirements. Particularly if a guy like Omenihu is crediting his development to his fucking local trainer. But here we are. 

Now to the important question...do I embrace all of my natural pettiness and my general predisposition towards being an asshole and tag Scholz? 

Do whatever you like, bud. You can put whatever you want into this Gilesian playground. 

One thing I failed to mention in the OP is that a big part of my issue with Giles is that while I do think he's okay as a coach, the gap in talent between what Texas possesses and what the CFP contenders currently posses is still substantial. A recruiter with a pulse would have shrunk that gap more than Texas has been able to thus far. Under Mack Brown, Collins, Broughton, and Umanlymanmaniac would already be fucking committed. I don't even think Texas is going to sign all 3 at this stage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

I think it is informative that if you do a Google image search for "Oscar Giles sucks gif" this is the first result:

tumblr_onvtdzBHaS1tcgac9o2_500.gif

I think this one is a better fit, considering the topic and consistent ROI.

 

Image result for OScar Giles Sucks Gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ctj.... Any shot Drayton helps coax his buddy Clint Hurtt to Austin??

Hurtt_Clint

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS .... ASSISTANT HEAD COACH / DEFENSIVE LINE COACH

 

Or..... Would Herman consider Hiring Bo Davis??

bo-davis-headshot

DETROIT LIONS..... DEFENSIVE LINE COACH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have like 1/3 of championship caliber staff and the other 2/3 are dead fucking weight. So are we just gonna end up stuck hovering around 10 wins and then getting buzzed sawed by a Clemson or bama in the playoffs every few years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Ctj.... Any shot Drayton helps coax his buddy Clint Hurtt to Austin??

Hurtt_Clint

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS .... ASSISTANT HEAD COACH / DEFENSIVE LINE COACH

 

Or..... Would Herman consider Hiring Bo Davis??

bo-davis-headshot

DETROIT LIONS..... DEFENSIVE LINE COACH

Man, I don't know what to make of you as a poster.  This is either one of the most woefully uninformed posts I've seen on the board, or it's a decently disguised troll.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when we lost West and South Houston during Mack's last years. Giles had a shit handle on his territory and failed recruiting/evaluating good talent (Danielle Hunter anyone?).

People questioned why some of us groaned during the announcement of this hire, but if they've followed recruiting long enough, all of this shouldn't be a surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I like the part where he's now directly associated with Oscar Giles. Even tangentially. 

Okay that’s over the line.  CTJ has convinced me that he is not a great developer of talent, and I am now ready to replace OG.

However, my mind cannot link him to that much estrogen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cochamps said:

Okay that’s over the line.  CTJ has convinced me that he is not a great developer of talent, and I am now ready to replace OG.

However, my mind cannot link him to that much estrogen.

 

This is true. Oscar Giles' complete suckitude as a coach should in no way be confused with being a whiny-baby. Hell, I don't think even CTJ has anything against Giles personally, beyond the fact that he's stealing paychecks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Man, I don't know what to make of you as a poster.  This is either one of the most woefully uninformed posts I've seen on the board, or it's a decently disguised troll.  

I know both Hurtt & Davis had NCAA violations in recruiting, but Drayton and Hurtt are really good friends that speak often..... and Bo is a hell of a good coach that Saban asked for his opinion about hiring Pete Golding.....

 

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

We have like 1/3 of championship caliber staff and the other 2/3 are dead fucking weight. So are we just gonna end up stuck hovering around 10 wins and then getting buzzed sawed by a Clemson or bama in the playoffs every few years?

2/3rds? Damn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

2/3rds? Damn.

Yeah, it's more like 50/50.

Herman is simultaneously a genius for making this assistant coaching staff look better than it is, and an idiot for bringing some of these guys to Texas in the first place. Of course, it helps that Yancy is good at his job and the support staff (Carrington, Chang, Samples, Langi, etc.) appears to be A+.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys Texas should absolutely land no questions asked if they even remotely try.

1.  Vernon Broughton-  Texas had a huge leg up on this recruitment but left the door open for aggy and LSU.  Wouldn't be surprised to see LSU surge in this one.

2.  Alfred Collins-  Should already be committed.  Trending aggy.

3.  Princely Uamamamalien-  Should already be committed.  Trending aggy

4.  Prince Dorbah-  Texas- ou battle.  Thank goodness ou hired one of the worst recruiters as their DC.  I could win this recruitment sitting on my couch.

 

We'll end up taking some project like Peter Mgapi after Giles whiffs again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Herman is simultaneously a genius for making this assistant coaching staff look better than it is, and an idiot for bringing some of these guys to Texas in the first place. Of course, it helps that Yancy is good at his job and the support staff (Carrington, Chang, Samples, Langi, etc.) appears to be A+.

I think this is why so many defend Giles. Even the best orgs have a weak link, but Herman has several guys on his staff who are mediocre or at best one-trick ponies and it ultimately means we could have a mediocre HC as well. Not a great place to be after the last 10 years of Texas football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I think this is why so many defend Giles. Even the best orgs have a weak link, but Herman has several guys on his staff who are mediocre or at best one-trick ponies and it ultimately means we could have a mediocre HC as well. Not a great place to be after the last 10 years of Texas football.

I mean, I don't think Herman is mediocre. I think he's doing a lot of good things, and the program is on an upward trajectory despite some weaknesses.

It's up to him (or the people who have any kind of control over this program) to fix the blind spots if we want to win a national championship in the near future, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't have a weak link at OL or DL coach if you want to win championships.  Man, this is miserable to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giles is the worst coach on staff and it’s not even remotely close. 

That is saying a lot considering Mehringer is on staff. Say what you want about Mehringer but he somehow continues to land big time WR. This worthless rube makes 400K a year. He can’t recruit worth a shit, and his “great coaching” is some made up metric because someone recruited else recruited Orakpo for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RabidM said:

You can't have a weak link at OL or DL coach if you want to win championships.  Man, this is miserable to watch. 

Yeah, Hand replacing Warehime  as OL Coach seems to have really helped that group.  Hopefully the problem for recruiting DL gets corrected SOON!!

Still seems like in the future Herman should add another asst coaching spot on defense and fill that with a great recruiter...... and reduce a spot on offense by having only 1 WR coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Giles is the worst coach on staff and it’s not even remotely close. 

That is saying a lot considering Mehringer is on staff. Say what you want about Mehringer but he somehow continues to land big time WR. This worthless rube makes 400K a year. He can’t recruit worth a shit, and his “great coaching” is some made up metric because someone recruited else recruited Orakpo for him. 

Meh does deserve credit for Bru, regardless of how that came to be. Where do you slot Warehime?  

Drayton is another that will be watched closely this year. He got lucky with Ingram as he had a lot of aggie interest. More than we gave them credit for. Last year he struck out.

Edited by Goodman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giles is obviously the worst recruiter on staff, but I don't think I can take the view that he doesn't develop or isn't a good coach. His groups performances year over year at multiple schools says he can coach.

I do think though that today you need to be a better recruiter than coach. It's much easier to be a "bad" coach with great talent on the DL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Giles is obviously the worst recruiter on staff, but I don't think I can take the view that he doesn't develop or isn't a good coach. His groups performances year over year at multiple schools says he can coach.

I do think though that today you need to be a better recruiter than coach. It's much easier to be a "bad" coach with great talent on the DL.

Hello Terry Price!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys what you are forgetting was how much better he made our 1990 defensive line as a corch on the field. We couldn't have shocked the nation without him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Now to the important question...do I embrace all of my natural pettiness and my general predisposition towards being an asshole and tag Scholz? 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scholz said:

Aren't Broughton and Dorbah coming to our Spring game?  

Dorbah for sure. Broughton is saying he's going to aggy's and ours, which is a logistical challenge, but a clever way for Slick Willie to get that bonus cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Broughton is saying he's going to aggy's and ours, which is a logistical challenge, but a clever way for Slick Willie to get that bonus cash.

Their game is first. They'll do everything in their power to keep him from coming to ours.  We may need to post a guard to protect their tires. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Ctj.... Any shot Drayton helps coax his buddy Clint Hurtt to Austin??

Hurtt_Clint

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS .... ASSISTANT HEAD COACH / DEFENSIVE LINE COACH

 

Or..... Would Herman consider Hiring Bo Davis??

bo-davis-headshot

DETROIT LIONS..... DEFENSIVE LINE COACH

I wouldn't have a problem with either Hurtt or Davis at Texas alongside or in lieu of OG. That said, I assume the chances of either being hired at Texas are less than zero. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Their game is first. They'll do everything in their power to keep him from coming to ours.  We may need to post a guard to protect their tires. 

3b5acc841ffdd2acda80c52e03c79057.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

We have like 1/3 of championship caliber staff and the other 2/3 are dead fucking weight. So are we just gonna end up stuck hovering around 10 wins and then getting buzzed sawed by a Clemson or bama in the playoffs every few years?

 

3 hours ago, rickyspub said:

I think this is why so many defend Giles. Even the best orgs have a weak link, but Herman has several guys on his staff who are mediocre or at best one-trick ponies and it ultimately means we could have a mediocre HC as well. Not a great place to be after the last 10 years of Texas football.

I’m no fan of Giles, Mehrhime, or Drayton but thesetwo takes are some pretty absurd overreactions. Herman’s largely running this program at a high level. He definitely has a few blind spots that need to be addressed, but saying things like we’ll get stuck hovering around 10 wins or saying Herman is mediocre and were not in a good place is pretty ridiculous.

We just won 10 games with a team that was largely full of players recruited and developed by the worst coach in program history. We had talent issues, depth issues, fit issues, and a true sophomore QB and we won 10 games, including the Sugar Bowl. A ton of the guys Herman’s recruited look like absolute studs so far, and the talent level of this team rises every year and will take a massive jump up in 2020. In no world does it look like we’ll be stuck around 10 wins for the foreseeable future, nor does it look like Herman is mediocre and we’re not in a good place. 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Giles is the worst coach on staff and it’s not even remotely close. 

That is saying a lot considering Mehringer is on staff. Say what you want about Mehringer but he somehow continues to land big time WR. This worthless rube makes 400K a year. He can’t recruit worth a shit, and his “great coaching” is some made up metric because someone recruited else recruited Orakpo for him. 

Ehhh. Warehime got fired from the OL. He’s missed on his top target two years in a row, he’s not some genius position coach, and he offers little to no help to other positions’ recruiting while being at one of the prime recruiting positions on a staff.  The last one  is an issue without Drayton too, though we’ll see on him. If he lands a 5 star RB this year, he still won’t be good, but it would be hard to say he’s the worst on staff.

Mehringer did a horrible job as the lone WR coach, got demoted, and his recruiting ability is vastly overrated by a ton of people after last year. 

Anyways, I wouldn’t say Giles is clearly the worst. The water’s at least muddy on that one, but I would say using 3 guys to coach TEs and WRs, with none of them being an elite coach or recruiter, is easily the worst use of staff resources and fixing that problem would also allow Herman to fix the DL recruiting problem too. 

If you get rid of one of them, add a second DL or edge rusher coach (thereby decreasing Giles and Orlando’s recruiting responsibilities), then you’ve got very few weak spots on a staff that seems pretty well aligned, to use a buzzword from Herman’s early days as HC.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

This is true. Oscar Giles' complete suckitude as a coach should in no way be confused with being a whiny-baby. Hell, I don't think even CTJ has anything against Giles personally, beyond the fact that he's stealing paychecks.

The only problem I have with Oscar Giles is that he's an assistant coach at Texas. I'd cheer for him otherwise, and I'd absolutely love it if he were recruiting at somewhere like ATM or OU.

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

Yeah, it's more like 50/50.

Herman is simultaneously a genius for making this assistant coaching staff look better than it is, and an idiot for bringing some of these guys to Texas in the first place. Of course, it helps that Yancy is good at his job and the support staff (Carrington, Chang, Samples, Langi, etc.) appears to be A+.

Regarding assistants, let's think about it.

Good to great recruiters: 

-Beck

-Washington

-Hand (for his squad)

-Naivar

Mysterious to decent recruiters:

-Meekins

-Drayton

-Orlando (for his squad)

Poor or convince me otherwise recruiters:

-Warehime

-Mehringer

Go fuck yourself, I'm taking a 90 minute grumpy and then passing out for a nap recruiters:

-Oscar Giles

I could hear arguments for or against Orlando and maybe be swayed. Probably the same is true for Drayton. Outside of what 247/Rivals thinks about him, Mehringer sucks. He alienates as many or more recruits as endears. I could understand someone thinking Warehime is at least decent, but I'm not even close to being there yet.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread just provides more barriers to Texas getting top DL talent, as recruits and parents read this complaining. What’s the point here? What’s the objective of this thread? To make you feel better by whining incessantly? The whining is so incessant that now I’m wondering whether some of the views are wrong. In fact
Maybe Giles is the greatest! He did land Ossai. Just like Shaka, he’s turning it around.!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dbeasy said:

This thread just provides more barriers to Texas getting top DL talent, as recruits and parents read this complaining. What’s the point here? What’s the objective of this thread? To make you feel better by whining incessantly? The whining is so incessant that now I’m wondering whether some of the views are wrong. In fact
Maybe Giles is the greatest! He did land Ossai. Just like Shaka, he’s turning it around.!

tenor.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This thread just provides more barriers to Texas getting top DL talent, as recruits and parents read this complaining. What’s the point here? What’s the objective of this thread? To make you feel better by whining incessantly? The whining is so incessant that now I’m wondering whether some of the views are wrong. In fact
Maybe Giles is the greatest! He did land Ossai. Just like Shaka, he’s turning it around.!

OFF TO TEXAGS!  Registering my 'Dbaggem' username now.  I'm taking those fuckers down!  I'll have their parents crying the streets....

 

*decent troll job.  Call it a B, maybe B+.  Still needs work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This thread just provides more barriers to Texas getting top DL talent, as recruits and parents read this complaining. What’s the point here? What’s the objective of this thread? To make you feel better by whining incessantly? The whining is so incessant that now I’m wondering whether some of the views are wrong. In fact
Maybe Giles is the greatest! He did land Ossai. Just like Shaka, he’s turning it around.!

Giles landed Ossai? Hmmm. Okay then. 

As to the rest of the post, if parents are making decisions on where they send their child to college based on recruiting board posts, then I'm fine both being blamed for it and not having the player come here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Giles landed Ossai? Hmmm. Okay then. 

As to the rest of the post, if parents are making decisions on where they send their child to college based on recruiting board posts, then I'm fine both being blamed for it and not having the player come here. 

C-bnYGUXkAI3KEO.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...