Jump to content

Game of Thrones Season 8 (Bookfags unite)


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Agree, fans have been theorizing forever about who the other dragon riders would be and they didn't give it nearly the weight it deserved.  It's the type of reveal that GRRM would have nailed and fuck him for leaving it to these fan fiction show writers to handle.

Edited by elguapo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's more of a book only thing though.  The TV show chooses to ignore certain book aspects and the whole "only Valaryians can ride a dragon" is obviously one of those things.  I can't recall any mention of it anywhere in the TV show.  

 

Ok, now that I have read the article, I get it.  They kind of blew a big moment there.  Had they established these rules in the show, which could have been done with one 60 second conversation between Dany and Tyrion,  then whatever time they invest in Dany learns Jon is a Targ could have been used here.  They should have gone in order:

1.  Sam tells Jon about his parents

2.  Jon tells Dany about it and Dany questions it

3.  Jon rides a dragon and she is convinced he is a Targ.  

Edited by Go Pokes
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

That dragon riding scene was so dumb. Also who was in charge of the script?? 

Every year (two this time) I get swept up in the hype and forget the guys in charge of scripts have been pretty bad ever since they ran out of the fat man's source material.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Letting R + L = J story out to the public could lead to some unexpected results. It brings up that the Robert's Revolution was basically a big lie that perhaps even Ned knew about. 

 

By the time he found out, Robert's Rebellion was over.   I wonder if he had an "oh shit" moment when she told him about her son.  I've always wondered why the Targaryen's didn't say anything when the rebellion started.  Hubris I assume, but they guessed wrong.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

By the time he found out, Robert's Rebellion was over.   I wonder if he had an "oh shit" moment when she told him about her son.  I've always wondered why the Targaryen's didn't say anything when the rebellion started.  Hubris I assume, but they guessed wrong.  

my bad. Was thinking Rebellion but typed something else.  Regardless I don't think that will make the Starks even more popular in the North that the Rebellion was based on a lie. And just because you say that Ned found out afterwards, why would that be more believable than he knew but used it to his advantage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

You're right. It's the "Night's King". The show stole that name for the white walker character.

What if Bran actually wargs back into his ancestor, Brandon Stark, then helps create the wall, goes on to marry the white witch, becoming the Night's King. He then waits for the self proclaimed Night King to break through the wall, comes up from behind and ends the Night King, leading the army of the dead back beyond the wall.

 

Yeah, I know, not enough season left for that.

Edited by bamachine
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Are you implying Ned knew about R+L, but went ahead and let his best friend rebel against the crown and even joined that rebellion?

Ned didn’t know.  He was really surprised when he confronted dayne and his thugs.  However did he ever think to turn the crown over to Jon when Robert died?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Ned didn’t know.  He was really surprised when he confronted dayne and his thugs.  However did he ever think to turn the crown over to Jon when Robert died?

Jon had already joined the Night's Watch by then. As a member of the Night's Watch, you can hold no office, no getting your dick wet, blah, blah, blah.

Edited by bamachine
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Are you implying Ned knew about R+L, but went ahead and let his best friend rebel against the crown and even joined that rebellion?

No. I'm saying that if the news came out, and was believed, its not like all of Westeros would rejoice in the news that the rebellion was a lie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

That's more of a book only thing though.  The TV show chooses to ignore certain book aspects and the whole "only Valaryians can ride a dragon" is obviously one of those things.  I can't recall any mention of it anywhere in the TV show.  

 

Ok, now that I have read the article, I get it.  They kind of blew a big moment there.  Had they established these rules in the show, which could have been done with one 60 second conversation between Dany and Tyrion,  then whatever time they invest in Dany learns Jon is a Targ could have been used here.  They should have gone in order:

1.  Sam tells Jon about his parents

2.  Jon tells Dany about it and Dany questions it

3.  Jon rides a dragon and she is convinced he is a Targ.  

Yeah pretty spot on.

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Every year (two this time) I get swept up in the hype and forget the guys in charge of scripts have been pretty bad ever since they ran out of the fat man's source material.

Why do people still do this. Regardless of rather you think D&D can hold a candle to GRRM or not(They can't), stop acting like this is some poorly written show.  Like ALL shows, even great ones, there are some times with iffy dialogue or questionable choices.  Obviously they were better with his source material, how could they not be?  But they are not bad, and pretending that it sucks because they are writing it just obviously ruins your excitement for the show. 

Why continue to watch it if you have this belief automatically?

Edited by Drew
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Drew said:

Why do people still do this. Regardless of rather you think D&D can hold a candle to GRRM or not(They can't), stop acting like this is some poorly written show.  Like ALL shows, even great ones, there are some times with iffy dialogue or questionable choices.  Obviously they were better with his source material, how could they not be?  But they are not bad, and pretending that it sucks because they are writing it just obviously ruins your excitement for the show. 

Why continue to watch it if you have this belief automatically?

Because I still like the show.  Despite the iffy dialogue and questionable choices and stuff. 

I'm also sympathetic to D&D and the shitty situation they found themselves in. I'm sure they would much rather have books to lean on, but they don't, and they have to navigate and land the plane themselves with a handful of bullet points or whatever the fat man gave them.

It's funny that you pull this art police / martyr act even when you agree with me.  Sheesh.  You're relentless.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

That's more of a book only thing though.  The TV show chooses to ignore certain book aspects and the whole "only Valaryians can ride a dragon" is obviously one of those things.  I can't recall any mention of it anywhere in the TV show.  

 

Ok, now that I have read the article, I get it.  They kind of blew a big moment there.  Had they established these rules in the show, which could have been done with one 60 second conversation between Dany and Tyrion,  then whatever time they invest in Dany learns Jon is a Targ could have been used here.  They should have gone in order:

1.  Sam tells Jon about his parents

2.  Jon tells Dany about it and Dany questions it

3.  Jon rides a dragon and she is convinced he is a Targ.  

Jon was the first person other than Dany that the dragons let touch, thats why Dany told him to ride because she could sense Rhaegels connection to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Because I still like the show.  Despite the iffy dialogue and questionable choices and stuff. 

I'm also sympathetic to D&D and the shitty situation they found themselves in. I'm sure they would much rather have books to lean on, but they don't, and they have to navigate and land the plane themselves with a handful of bullet points or whatever the fat man gave them.

It's funny that you pull this art police / martyr act even when you agree with me.  Sheesh.  You're relentless.

 

 Fair enough, and I agree on the bolded.

I've seen some show sympathy to GRRM for having this taken away from him in some way, and I have none whatsoever.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Anyone have an idea what that weapon was Arya wanted Gendry to make? 4d71ef4f3176f5f00752ca5a556428b4.jpg

It looks like a detachable dragonglass spearhead, that screws on to the spear. I'm wondering if it's hollowed out somewhat so she can put poison in it, a la Oberyn Martell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Jon was the first person other than Dany that the dragons let touch, thats why Dany told him to ride because she could sense Rhaegels connection to him.

Maybe that she witnessed but Tyrion also touched them, not Drogon but the other two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, elguapo said:

The NK/WW appear to be using COF symbols.

From the COF cave beneath dragonstone:

c902a9db7e4777851c6ad277e771319a.jpg

First episode prologue:
9acb77073ea62f8c6591d02f8eaa1e9a.jpg

Fist of first men:
62f4ef4815cee35b0005d893bb73a0c1.jpg

When COF create the NK:
3e7563bc98b1a713634f66431fccf856.jpg

You all are missing the most obvious connection:

AR-307139855.jpg&MaxW=1200&Q=66

Clearly the Whitewalkers hope to defeat The Beast.  This ties in perfectly with the theory that Dany is actually evil, her dragons represent The Beast, and the Whitewalkers will unite with Colwyn* to take down Dany and the dragons.

 

*Colwyn may or may not have Stark blood.  I'm honestly not certain he's brooding enough to be a Stark.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, austingirl said:

It looks like a detachable dragonglass spearhead, that screws on to the spear. I'm wondering if it's hollowed out somewhat so she can put poison in it, a la Oberyn Martell.

why, pray tell, would you need poison to fight the white walkers?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MillerEP said:

 

7 hours ago, elguapo said:

Agree, fans have been theorizing forever about who the other dragon riders would be and they didn't give it nearly the weight it deserved.  It's the type of reveal that GRRM would have nailed and fuck him for leaving it to these fan fiction show writers to handle.


Did you guys see the part where they burned a kid on tv, and no one even blinked an eye because of the context?
This is how this show works. It hides things in plain sight and you don't notice until it's too late.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, elguapo said:

The NK/WW appear to be using COF symbols.

From the COF cave beneath dragonstone:

c902a9db7e4777851c6ad277e771319a.jpg

First episode prologue:
9acb77073ea62f8c6591d02f8eaa1e9a.jpg

Fist of first men:
62f4ef4815cee35b0005d893bb73a0c1.jpg

When COF create the NK:
3e7563bc98b1a713634f66431fccf856.jpg

I don't recall the symbols being used in the books (admittedly it's been a while since I read them) but I remember watching the directors narrating an episode and when it got to the symbol in S1 E1 he said something like "and here's a symbol by the White Walkers showing that they're not just dumb zombies."

It was kind of a let down. The show just uses the symbols as a visual cue that the NK is sentient. I don't get the impression that there's more to it than that outside of fanboy internet theories.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We can all be critical of a storyline but until it plays out, there is always a chance that its all for the best.

But my easiest prediction of the final season is that some people won't be satisfied regardless of the outcome.

likely true of the books as well. my guess is that's what gives GRRM the most anxiety

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

That's more of a book only thing though.  The TV show chooses to ignore certain book aspects and the whole "only Valaryians can ride a dragon" is obviously one of those things.  I can't recall any mention of it anywhere in the TV show.  

 

Ok, now that I have read the article, I get it.  They kind of blew a big moment there.  Had they established these rules in the show, which could have been done with one 60 second conversation between Dany and Tyrion,  then whatever time they invest in Dany learns Jon is a Targ could have been used here.  They should have gone in order:

1.  Sam tells Jon about his parents

2.  Jon tells Dany about it and Dany questions it

3.  Jon rides a dragon and she is convinced he is a Targ.  

4. Dany, being awash with out of control ambition, goes "Mad King" on Jon by stabbing him in the chest as she is riding his sybian.

Link to post
Share on other sites
No, I want a long written story from him that was promised years ago. 


This.

I’m not going to do the math, but at ~20 years and a page per day he should have already had this thing wrapped. Instead we’re still waiting on 1.5 books.

Poor Alex getting screwed. Worst publishing rate ever.
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, seven said:

So I agree that this has not been shown or explained on the actual show, but on the inside the episode one of the D's specifically says only targs can ride dragons. 

while technically you may be correct it sounds like the D was just being a bit of a bookfag.  what he says in interviews has nothing to do with what takes place in the actual show world.  and in the show world nobody says only targs can mount dragons.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, seven said:

So I agree that this has not been shown or explained on the actual show, but on the inside the episode one of the D's specifically says only targs can ride dragons. 

Technically others rode a dragon last season while escaping the NK and his buddies from north of the wall.  But I get the point that they almost certainly needed Dany onboard as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Technically others rode a dragon last season while escaping the NK and his buddies from north of the wall.  But I get the point that they almost certainly needed Dany onboard as well. 

Yeah, my take from the scene was Jon rode a dragon because Dany told her kids to be nice to the new guy she's dating. The writers had a different intention that apparently didn't come across properly. It's not a huge deal imo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

If it comes on in the making of big immediately after the shows then I'm not sure you can say it's bookfag stuff. Kinda like the preview scenes for what is coming up. It's not like it came from some YouTube video you have to actively seek out.

are you serious?  the preview scenes are actual scenes from the show.  captain dipshit riffing during an interview has fuckall to do with that.  

as far as what’s been given to us in the actual show, everyone in the seven kingdoms plus essos too can hop aboard a dragon and fly whenever and wherever they want.  period. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, futureman said:

are you serious?  the preview scenes are actual scenes from the show.  captain dipshit riffing during an interview has fuckall to do with that.  

as far as what’s been given to us in the actual show, everyone in the seven kingdoms plus essos too can hop aboard a dragon and fly whenever and wherever they want.  period. 

Are you serious?  

The co-creator of the show was talking about his show. Not ‚Äúriffing‚ÄĚ on book lore that may or may not be¬†excluded¬†from the show.

Two people have ridden dragons on the show. Hopping on as a passenger is different. I bet that when Jon tells Dany the news, she’s going to say she already knew. She figured it out when she saw him pet Rhaegal.  That’s why she encouraged him to go on the joyride. 

 

Edit: 3 if we count the NK

Edited by CurlyDumps
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...