Voter Suppression

Pancho

Yeah early voting has always been very easy for me in Austin.

But I'm pretty sure certain states or legislatures have worked to make it harder/less available. May have changed since, but after a quick google search I found that Florida cut early voting days from 14 to 8 in 2012 and North Carolina reduced 17 days to 10 in 2013.

I wonder which party pursued those changes?

On 4/2/2020 at 10:50 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Here's Abram's response to the Fox News piece. I like it and I like her. LFG Ms. Abrams! WATCH the video.

I love the fact she fucking has Robert Jordan's Eye of the World on her bookshelf. I couldn't even finish that series because not even death stopped more voluminous volumes from being produced, but it's still cool she has the first book on her shelf. 

11 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I think we may see record turnout come November.

When do we start hearing about Georgia GOP cutting off access to vote by mail in the middle of a pandemic and the consolidation of polling locations in blue districts?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I guess the only good thing about this is we already know Kentucky is going red and McConnell is getting re-elected.

Even with great AA turnout, we can’t win there.

literally nothing to be gained from that shithole state.

Edited by Voldemort86

Suppression of a different kind blog post says "with utter confidence" the Kentucky moves were "100% about COVID", and it's very believable. McGrath/Booker was not a close race at all when they implemented the changes to keep people safer from the virus. It ends up helping McGrath because recent Booker voters will have to wait in line, but they have had several days of early voting and also mail-in voting (which is overwhelmed just like it will be everywhere).  And McGrath is also trying to get more polling places opened back up.

12 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

and this is just a tiny taste of what we will see in November. 

So I see three options here. 

1. The election is rigged as fuck and the people revolt. 

2. The election is rigged as fuck and the Dems have a plan in place to expose it. 

3. The election is rigged as fuck and they get away with it. 

I’m afraid that option 3 is the most likely. I will not be remaining in this country if so. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

How much of a delay are we thinking in November after Election Day before we know results?  I mean, in a rational world of course. Not in the circus nightmare we are living in. 

russian hackers have it down (see 2016). i expect similar #'s to the 2016

The in-person tally should be known on election night as usual, which unfortunately favors Trump as his voters are too skeptical/stupid to use mail-in or other options. At that point Trump and Barr will try to shut down the counting of mail-ins and declare victory. Some states will comply, and it's up to the chief justice again...😟

So I have a legit question. For texas. I printed out the application for a mail in ballot. If I fill out and return it, does that mean it’s my ONLY ballot option? In other words, am I removed from live voting registers.  I’ll be honest, I’m not so sure Texas doesn’t find a way to toss out all the ballots marked disability without any follow up information down the road. I just want to have the option. Does that question make sense?

Are you asking if you apply for absentee, but then want to vote in person, what are the steps?

if so, I believe you have to take the mailer ballot with you to the polling location. I’d send an email to the Secretary of State’s agency email or call. I’ve emailed and a had an answer within a day before. 512-463-5650 is a number you can call

11 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Are you asking if you apply for absentee, but then want to vote in person, what are the steps?

if so, I believe you have to take the mailer ballot with you to the polling location. I’d send an email to the Secretary of State’s agency email or call. I’ve emailed and a had an answer within a day before. 512-463-5650 is a number you can call

Thanks. That's exactly what I was asking. I would like to have a mail-in ballot based on "disability" at hand depending on the situation in Houston at the time. But yeah, assuming I drive by an early voting place and it's empty at like a 7 am on a Wednesday, I'd rather just stop in and place my vote. So yes, you understood what I meant.

Thanks for the help. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Thanks. That's exactly what I was asking. I would like to have a mail-in ballot based on "disability" at hand depending on the situation in Houston at the time. But yeah, assuming I drive by an early voting place and it's empty at like a 7 am on a Wednesday, I'd rather just stop in and place my vote. So yes, you understood what I meant.

Thanks for the help. 

Please report back because I had the same question.

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Most New Yorkers that requested a mail in ballot didn’t get one. Board of Elections overwhelmed.

This is why the democrats tried to put federal funding to help counties increase processing capacity.

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Lot of headlines about Louisville only having one polling location. Here’s pictures from inside the convention center  image.thumb.jpeg.f808cdc547d7041a9e6e4d3b5c64b068.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.59ea83aa9922906804a260f6a6aa3578.jpeg

i always felt like i was getting a purposefully skewed view when i'd read "85 out of 90 locations have closed" and there is never any more explanation of what is going on.

5 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i always felt like i was getting a purposefully skewed view when i'd read "85 out of 90 locations have closed" and there is never any more explanation of what is going on.

Ummm...duh?  That's this entire thread.  One clickbait after another.

Edited by JBJ

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Ummm...duh?  That's this entire thread.  One ckickbait after another.

it's still something.  one location will necessarily be farther from some voters than 50 locations.  and capacity may be an issue for parking or traffic reasons, but at least it seems like the mechanics of the vote itself is not an issue.

Edited by BehoId, The Underminer!

25 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

it was such a shitshow that they had to extend the voting period an additional 3 hours.  

I have no idea about the above photos, but they don't reflect reality.

Where is everybody getting this 9pm extension? The judge in Louisville locked it up at 630. I think Booker wanted 9pm but was denied. Lexington wrapped up around 8, 2 hours after closing.

It was a shit show at 6 today because of the traffic all heading that way for the final day of voting after getting off work. 6pm cutoff is a chickenshit move for working class types.They have had no excuse absentee ballots available for request since May 30th. The pictures are from reporters in Louisville throughout the day. There’s videos of the rush at 6 available, but to characterize that as reflective of the day isn’t right. Joe Sonka is a journalist that has been covering all day if you want to check the timeline.

image.jpeg

Edited by StassneyHorn

18 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Please report back because I had the same question.

So, after calling, you absolutely should apply for a mail in application. It does not preclude your ability to vote in person at a polling location. If you opt to vote in person, you simply take the mail in ballot to the location and it will be destroyed there. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So, after calling, you absolutely should apply for a mail in application. It does not preclude your ability to vote in person at a polling location. If you opt to vote in person, you simply take the mail in ballot to the location and it will be destroyed there. 

Rock, rock on.  I'll send in my app today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s what I thought, glad to hear.

For anyone reading this page and not the others, please apply for a absentee ballot if you are worried about your health. 

If you mark disability, that covers any illness you may have as well. It is up to YOU to make the determination and there is no wrong answer. You do not have to explain what it is that ails you as there is no section to explain. No doctor note, no proof required.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

That’s what I thought, glad to hear.

For anyone reading this page and not the others, please apply for a absentee ballot if you are worried about your health. 

If you mark disability, that covers any illness you may have as well. It is up to YOU to make the determination and there is no wrong answer. You do not have to explain what it is that ails you as there is no section to explain. No doctor note, no proof required.

Link again:

https://webservices.sos.state.tx.us/vrrequest/bbm.asp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Georgia Republicans getting scared, again. Does not want localities or state to be proactive in sending ballot requests 

Georgia measure would stop officials mailing ballot requests

https://apnews.com/522295c7edb7039c7a7f2b96e870e2a8

Republicans are such shitty people.

BALLOT REQUESTS ARENT SENDING ACTUAL BALLOTS ITS JUST A FORM TO REQUEST A DAMN BALLOT. The same shit is happening in Iowa right now.

these people are so corrupt and un-American it’s not even funny.