The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

6 hours ago, DougO said:

Still on sale. Lake Placid Blue Mexico Limited edition Tele or Strat. $539.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14387297-fender-limited-edition-electric-guitars-stratocaster-or-telecaster-539-free-shipping

I got an offer for this as well after purchasing the Strat. And yet, if you go on eBay, you can get it for $799 from Adorama. If you go to Adorama's website, you can get it for $799. It's rather peculiar.

I was considering returning my Strat, because I was looking for an excuse to put that $583 back onto my credit card.

My Excuses:

1) The sides of the fretboard are fairly squared off. It would be nice if they were rounded a bit like the fretboard of my Tagima TG-540...
2) If I just sanded down the back of the Tagima neck, it might be pretty much the same as the Fender neck, but with rounded edges... saves me money.

I haven't played either much with an amp due to being in a perpetual state of "middle of moving".

I then played the Fender a bit more and...

1) The strings just seem to glide across the frets.
2) The layer of clear on the front of the fretboard also works well with the strings.
3) Maybe it's just that the Fender 250 XL strings are just a better feel... (so I ordered some to test out on the cheaper guitar.)
4) The Fender's switch & knobs seemed to not feel as cheap is they did before.
5) The Fender neck is fuller than the Tagima and that's BEFORE I sand down the back on the neck... and I like a fatter neck I think.

This week I'm going to sand down the Tagima neck and put on the Fender strings. Then I'll play both through my SPARK to see what I think of the two sounds. I'm fairly certain that I'll get rid of one before the end of the year just to whittle down excess.

I wish that I had bought the Tele and then decided whether I needed the Tele or not, but I didn't. I'll probably keep the Fender.

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I got an offer for this as well after purchasing the Strat. And yet, if you go on eBay, you can get it for $799 from Adorama. If you go to Adorama's website, you can get it for $799. It's rather peculiar.

I was considering returning my Strat, because I was looking for an excuse to put that $583 back onto my credit card.

My Excuses:

1) The sides of the fretboard are fairly squared off. It would be nice if they were rounded a bit like the fretboard of my Tagima TG-540...
2) If I just sanded down the back of the Tagima neck, it might be pretty much the same as the Fender neck, but with rounded edges... saves me money.

I haven't played either much with an amp due to being in a perpetual state of "middle of moving".

I then played the Fender a bit more and...

1) The strings just seem to glide across the frets.
2) The layer of clear on the front of the fretboard also works well with the strings.
3) Maybe it's just that the Fender 250 XL strings are just a better feel... (so I ordered some to test out on the cheaper guitar.)
4) The Fender's switch & knobs seemed to not feel as cheap is they did before.
5) The Fender neck is fuller than the Tagima and that's BEFORE I sand down the back on the neck... and I like a fatter neck I think.

This week I'm going to sand down the Tagima neck and put on the Fender strings. Then I'll play both through my SPARK to see what I think of the two sounds. I'm fairly certain that I'll get rid of one before the end of the year just to whittle down excess.

I wish that I had bought the Tele and then decided whether I needed the Tele or not, but I didn't. I'll probably keep the Fender.

They offer these deals strictly through the Slickdeals website. You have to go through them. They have an insider that drops the links regularly.

Yeah, the fretboard finish. I think it's more of a satin finish now, but I haven't played with one.The thing I disliked the most about the Mexico standard series that was replaced by the Players series was the glossy finish of the fretboard which always feels sticky to me.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Yeah, the fretboard finish. I think it's more of a satin finish now, but I haven't played with one.The thing I disliked the most about the Mexico standard series that was replaced by the Players series was the glossy finish of the fretboard which always feels sticky to me.

The green 3M scrub pads are your friend on both the back of the neck and the fret board. 

7 hours ago, DougO said:

They offer these deals strictly through the Slickdeals website. You have to go through them. They have an insider that drops the links regularly.

Well, Adorama offered it directly to me after buying the Strat, but their statement that "This offer won't last long." is correct, because when I click the link now, it shows the $799 price.

I'm thinking that if I called and spoke with a person, I could get the price.

Adorama Ad.png

13 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

4ksg7j.jpg

I bought one years ago.  Was walking through an airport one day and someone stopped me and asked me if there was a clarinet in there.  
The thing is heavy AF and I don't carry it much anymore.  I need to move all of my song writing stuff to it, just to keep it in one place.  My wife has it sitting on a table because she likes the way it looks.  She doesn't feel that way about all of the other guitar cases lying around in my guitar room/her holiday decoration staging area. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hullabelew said:

My wife has it sitting on a table because she likes the way it looks.  She doesn't feel that way about all of the other guitar cases lying around in my guitar room/her holiday decoration staging area. 

That's an open invitation for more Teles and Strats, as long as you get tweed cases for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

I need some help with my ideal guitar collection. I have a Gibson LP Studio that I bought 25 years ago and will not ever sell and a Mexican Strat. Background - I play a lot of guitar, I’m in a band, we barely make any money doing it and we don’t care 

I was thinking I really need an American srat because it’s kind of my go to guitar, but I also really want a telly after playing my friend’s new player series. Also would love to add a Gibson es or something similar.

questions:

Which Fender would you get in American if you had to pick one? If you said American, are noiseless pickups better for recording or live than non noiseless?

Is there that much difference between an Epiphone ES and Gibson?

I bought this American Fat Strat about 17 years ago off eBay for $450:

FatStrat.png

Fat-Strat-Label.png

Pretty sure, now, that it was hot (probably a salesman or tech selling it out the back door). Never been really fond of the woodgrain, thinking about painting it a solid color. Maybe burnt orange.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

I bought this American Fat Strat about 17 years ago off eBay for $450:

FatStrat.png

Pretty sure, now, that it was hot (probably a salesman or tech selling it out the back door). Never been really fond of the woodgrain, thinking about painting it a solid color. Maybe burnt orange.

CHIEF

The swoop up of the wood grain right where your right arm would be resting to play is awesome.

I would think that you could get a premium for it and buy another one to have painted. Those lines (that unique grain) are what make that guitar.

I wouldn't assume the Fat Strat was hot based on the price. In my experience it's not too unusual to find nice American Strats at that price. There are so many out there that they aren't that easy to sell. I know of several USA Strats that were bought and sold from known legit owners in that price range. It's hard to get a return on investment when trying to sell one unless there's something special or unique about it that appeals to a certain crowd. Guitar players sometimes just want to move on from a particular guitar or reduce their arsenal to pay other bills or buy a different guitar or amp. Musicians tend to be impatient and not the best with money, especially those that actually play a lot and gig and have expenses toward their playing.

I bought a very gently played USA Standard Strat from a friend of mine maybe 7 or 8 years ago for $400, perfect condition and with a Fender hard case. A good portion of my guitars are from deals like that from guys who wanted immediate funds and didn't want to spend a lot of time trading and just gave me a price I could not refuse.

Yeah, but a model based on a late 70's Les Paul? You couldn't give those things away at one point. 
Heavy as hell, mismatched tops, shitty fades...

The heavy mismatched tops and the green fade of the silver burst are the secret tone ingredients. Everyone knows that.

Been meaning to share this on for a while.

Neighbor of mine. Strange guy. Incredible musician. He has a thing for these old Kent guitars. Very specific. I think they are all from 1968 or 67. The one in his left hand has been on tour all over the world with him he says. If you look close, he even has a 12 string version.

f01fb7a4dffcd966fb0d26e370896ed8.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Can't got wrong with a good tele or a good strat. I would agree that most here would lean towards the tele, but don't let that dissuade you from a strat (at all) if that speaks to you more. I don't really ditch guitars so it's not saying much, but my 98 American Standard is never going anywhere. And it's a phenomenal guitar that I play all the time.

Hulla, you need to relic that tweed case a bit

tweed.jpg

• Like 1

I'll probably put this on one of the other threads, but even partway through it's clear it belongs here, too.  Amazing clips of modern artists playing famous vintage instruments at the Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum.  In particular, Keb Mo made some gorgeous music with Jimmie Rodgers' old Wyman acoustic.  Wow.  Start at the beginning, though, for some tasty Buck Owens "Buckaroo" courtesy of Brad Paisley and Dan Tyminski.  That '64 Tele . . . damn.  I think Brad probably makes it sound a little better than I would.

• Hook 'Em 3

Thanks for that link @jimmyjazz  I know what I'm watching tonight.  Dan Tyminski and Jerry Douglas are two of my musical heros.  May have mentioned this but a couple of friends used to cut demos and they played some with Jerry.  They went on and on about what a super nice person he was and how easy he was to work with.  This was just after he played on that early T-Bone Burnett record and has just started playing with Alison Krauss.  

Great vid. Couldn't find a better host for that than Marty Stewart, imo. But they couldn't tell that dude who played Randy Travis' guitar to take off his jewelry? That stuff scratches like no other. Hearing it clang on the body of the guitar was traumatizing.

Side note, The War and Treaty were just on ACL. They killed it, apparently. Should air this weekend.

https://www.austin360.com/entertainment/20201111/war-and-treaty-lights-up-rsquoaustin-city-limitsrsquo-with-heart-and-soul?utm_source=SND&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=austin360

Edited by BoomMF
  • Hook 'Em 1