The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

54 minutes ago, Deej said:

If you build a car from the ground up, do you need to machine all the parts yourself?

If you assemble a PC do you need to fab your own chips?

If you bake a cake do you have to harvest and grind the flour?

For the guitar do you have to wind the pickups?

Lol, this is absurd er absurly.

6 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

If you assemble a PC do you need to fab your own chips?

If you bake a cake do you have to harvest and grind the flour?

For the guitar do you have to wind the pickups?

Lol, this is absurd er absurly.

You have to make the tools you use to make the thing you're making.

Saturday pron. Happy Birthday Pete Townshend! Let's look at some of his guitars. Side note: A dude I know has Townshend's smashed guitar from a show in Houston in 1968 I think. He has it in a shadow box with his ticket stub and maybe the promo poster. I have a photo somewhere. Will look for it and try to post it.

#5: 1976 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe in Wine Red

LesPaul1April2007.JPG

wholive76two.gif

Modified 1970 Gibson SG Custom

pt_1970gibson_sg_whocoll.jpg

Gibson Les Paul Deluxes (They went up to at least #9)

76_ptbackstage-tuning1.jpg

Pete used a 1959 Gretsch 6120 given to him by Joe Walsh for recording but not so much live. The Chet Atkins Gretsch is 95% of Who's Next and Quadrophenia. Here's one stage pic though.

73-gr-fend-bm_to.jpg

1968 Gibson J-200 (Used for writing and recording for over twenty years)

1968j200.jpg

This Rickenbacker didn't make it. It was the last one he ever smashed (25th anniversary tour in 1989) and went for $78,000 at auction.

image-placeholder-title.jpg

Pete used strats a lot from 1966 to 1968, but more or less abandoned them until the late 80's when he really took a shine to them again. The Fender Custom Shop designed his current model. 

670226_pt_strat.jpg

Even in 2006, the old man still has some pretty decent ups.

d96975cf-9081-429f-95f7-5cad2ca682ae.JPG

Found a 2008 Mexico Tele in a pawn shop for $280. If it weren't my least favorite ever color combo I might have bought it. Is that a no-brainer price?

It was a sunburst with way too much black around the edges and a black pickguard. A hundred bucks cheaper and I'd buy it and sand it off.

I promised myself that I wouldn't buy any more guitars until at least Memorial Day, when Musiciansfriend probably has one of their stupid deal of the hour days. And after that I may start thinking about the real USA Telecaster, that's gorgeous and feels awesome. And if that doesn't happen I may consider the ugly Mexico Tele again just to have one.

I just don't like this sunburst finish at all. It looks like some old Sears and Roebuck cheapo finish.

sunbursttele.jpg

Otherwise it was in decent shape except for a lot of little dings in the fretboard where it looked like somebody was nicking with a dremel tool to dress the frets or something, and they were filled with a small amount of greasy crud that was never completely cleaned out of them. It would need some work with a toothbrush or something, then wouldn't be that noticeable. It felt stiff, too, but probably nothing a setup wouldn't fix. Neck seemed OK.

I just keep kicking myself in the ass for passing on the blue Mexico Tele I saw a year or two ago for around $250. They wouldn't deal at all, so I went back a week later and it was already gone.

Edited by DougO

Saw Junior Brown and the Old 97's at the Great Texas BBQ Fest last night. Snapped this photo of Junior and his "guit-steel." Man he is off the charts. He'd do chicken pickin, harmonics, riffs that I thought were impossible without a b-bender, and entire riffs by plucking a string and using the tuner, all in the span of like 15 seconds. It was the guitar equivalent of juggling on a unicycle while blindfolded. He would also do insane lap steel runs loaded with slant bar moves. 

1i52mvfE_o.jpg

Ken Bethea (Old 97's) had an alarming number of badass guitars, in particular a Gretsch Sparklejet and a Gretsch Tennessee Rose. But for all my G&L peeps, here's a photo I took when he was using an ASAT.

cdFBxQ2c_o.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, DougO said:

First one they've had on SDOTD in a couple of months.

I'm betting there will be a stupid deal of the hour on Memorial Day, so I will keep my promise to hold off.

Have they ever had a SDOTD on S-500s?

The more I look at them, the more I’m intrigued by them. Essentially a Strat with MFD pickups, bass and treble controls for all pickups, and a pull out knob (or a switch on USA models) to activate the neck pickup on all settings - what David Gilmour has on his black Strat. 

Edited by Superhero
Spell-tard

22 hours ago, Grandioso said:

Ken Bethea (Old 97's) had an alarming number of badass guitars, in particular a Gretsch Sparklejet and a Gretsch Tennessee Rose. But for all my G&L peeps, here's a photo I took when he was using an ASAT.

cdFBxQ2c_o.jpg

I've never seen him play that G&L.  This last tour was the first time I've missed an Old 97s show in Atlanta.  Ever.  Still not over it.  He has had that Matchless for a long time.  My favorite guitar of his is that black hopped up tele with the flames behind the bridge.  Love to know what pickups he has it that monster.  Only guitar I've heard close to that is the lead guitarist from Turnpike Troubadours.    Philip kicks ASS on this version.

Edited by hullabelew

7 hours ago, Superhero said:

The more I look at them, the more I’m intrigued by them. Essentially a Strat with MFD pickups, bass and treble controls for all pickups, and a pull out knob (or a switch on USA models) to activate the neck pickup on all settings - what David Gilmour has on his black Strat. 

I know they had the Legacy models up a few times, but not nearly as often as the ASAT.

. . . and to continue my uninteresting commentary on that Clapton/Mayer video, I think the reason Clapton smiles on the 2nd solo is because Mayer breaks out of typical blues-rock wank and gets a whole lot closer to one of Clapton's favorite modern guitarist (Doyle Bramhall Jr.).  Was Doyle on that stage?

7 hours ago, Superhero said:

Actually, I see now that you can get 15% off with the SALUTE2018 coupon code on MF. That takes this pretty sweet looking ax down from $499 to $424.

L10442000001000-00-500x500.jpg

So I played one of the aged VOS Les Paul pearly gates reissues on Saturday. I think they only made 50 of the aged ones. It was pretty sweet. Did not make me sound any more like the Reverend though.

Dude was asking $12k.

You can see it in the photo gallery here:

https://tonechasergear.com

I think that's the second most expensive guitar I've ever played behind some $22k tele I played at Gruhn until I saw the price tag and quickly put it back.

A friend asked me to drop by Emerald City Guitars today because I was in town for work. Always do what I can to help. Played two 66 Strats. They were really great guitars. Everything didn’t immediately go to shit as soon as Leo left. So on to the pics:

38ae81d3d76a3910eb3c6bc864050107.jpg

93ccb116d006de2a9589f587eafc53fa.jpg

f1a931c2bbe9508bfb10f56d6c86880a.jpg

bad3e9359d8c0292898dfeb8decda172.jpg

891ef42b1e0469cb1309a6ea9844cf40.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hullabelew said:

I've never seen him play that G&L.  This last tour was the first time I've missed an Old 97s show in Atlanta.  Ever.  Still not over it.  He has had that Matchless for a long time.  My favorite guitar of his is that black hopped up tele with the flames behind the bridge.  Love to know what pickups he has it that monster.  Only guitar I've heard close to that is the lead guitarist from Turnpike Troubadours.    Philip kicks ASS on this version.

doesn't mention the pickups, but it's fun

also, I recorded an EP here

whenever they were recording this (would have been grand theater vol 1) Rhett wanted some horns.  So Jim called up the guys who played horns in my band, and they played horns on a few tracks.  Can't remember which ones.  Murray was very anti the horns (and they were on tour when the dudes went in and laid it down), and they never made it.

ha, I recorded with that exact falcon

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1