The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

4 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

Thought I could see binding...very nice. Gonna need a bucker review.

It needs a set-up, definitely, but I plugged it in to the Marshall on the dirt channel and that humbucker roars. Holy shit! 

• Like 2

Adjusted the truss rod a bit this morning and let it settle and acclimate to the warmer temp than was on the FedEx truck from Chicago while I was at work all day. Much better tonight. I've got some compensated brass saddles coming tomorrow. The steel ones always sound a touch too bright to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This backing track for Comfortably Numb inspired me to get better more than most tracks.  I wasn't even thinking about how the solos are supposed to be played but doing my own thing working on basic scales.

Inspired by the beautiful guitar in music thread. I remembered how much I used to jam to it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Deej said:

I will say I was a bit reluctant on the shell pink telecaster because the board is Indian Laurel, but it's as dark and nice as any rosewood board I own. 

Laurel typically looks light years better than Pau Ferro.

Baby Steps, but I have picked up a guitar and played a little every night in 2024 so far trying to get motivated and at least toughen up my fingertips. But I play the same stupid simple crap, and only for 15-20 minutes. It's better than nothing. I'm just at a loss when it comes to inspiration and creativity. I need to lean some actual tunes to give me some structure and and build some more muscle/finger memory. I'll be listening to my music in the car and hear something that I would like to learn and play, but then I forget all about it by the time I settle down at home with a guitar. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Laurel typically looks light years better than Pau Ferro.

Definitely, but you still get some pretty light examples.

I have a strat with a nice Pau Ferro board, but I was able to select it from all of Sweetwaters examples. Had my rep send me pics of everyone they had, not just the four they put up on the page. I don't mind the feel of Pau Ferro, but they can sure be ugly. 

Edited by Deej

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Baby Steps, but I have picked up a guitar and played a little every night in 2024 so far trying to get motivated and at least toughen up my fingertips. But I play the same stupid simple crap, and only for 15-20 minutes. It's better than nothing. I'm just at a loss when it comes to inspiration and creativity. I need to lean some actual tunes to give me some structure and and build some more muscle/finger memory. I'll be listening to my music in the car and hear something that I would like to learn and play, but then I forget all about it by the time I settle down at home with a guitar. 

Use Siri or something to make yourself a voice note at the moment you hear something you want to play.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Use Siri or something to make yourself a voice note at the moment you hear something you want to play.

I make extensive use of voice notes on my phone for original song ideas too. Just toss the phone on my knee while I twiddle out a riff or progression

• Hook 'Em 1

I make extensive use of voice notes on my phone for original song ideas too. Just toss the phone on my knee while I twiddle out a riff or progression

Same. Except you know how when people record their voice and play it back they’re like, “ew, THAT’S what my voice sounds like?!”

Mine is, “ew, THAT’S what my guitar playing sounds like?!”
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Deej said:

I have a strat with a nice Pau Ferro board, but I was able to select it from all of Sweetwaters examples. Had my rep send me pics of everyone they had, not just the four they put up on the page. I don't mind the feel of Pau Ferro, but they can sure be ugly. 

After playing a Strat with PF for several months now I can say that it performs very well. It was an aesthetic thing for me which is really kind of stupid.  If they could get it a bit darker it would not bother me at all. 

I got a Strymon Cloudburst for Christmas but it doesn’t work. The light comes on and it passes sound when it’s switched off but nothing when it’s on. Support said it could be the power supply I’m using but I’ve had it forever and never any issues with any pedals. I’m just swapping it via Amazon. Looking forward to noodling with it.

8 hours ago, Deej said:

Yeah, I'm sure it's a fine wood for playing. But the cruddy color it often has is really off-putting in combination with just about any color guitar.

Denny Zager (of Zager and Evans, Year 2525 fame) is retiring from making guitars (https://zagerguitar.com), and somehow I got on his list last year, and I'm getting like 5 emails a day reminding me that he's retiring from making guitars.

I'm sure they are amazing guitars, and they look amazing, and lots of people love them, but I don't need 5 emails a day.

Oh lol, negative. I mean I don’t do this for a living but it doesn’t make sense to me unless it is temporary

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/new-models-2/GPCE-Inception-Maple.html

IMG_6166.thumb.jpeg.904e499df5e80b85d5b3a245527b79f5.jpeg

I’m down with the sustainability thing and think this kind of thing is a good idea for Martin, but that’s more than an HD-28. For a maple/walnut guitar with no pearl at all. Don’t make it a budget guitar but who is paying that for this?

30 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Oh lol, negative. I mean I don’t do this for a living but it doesn’t make sense to me unless it is temporary

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/new-models-2/GPCE-Inception-Maple.html

IMG_6166.thumb.jpeg.904e499df5e80b85d5b3a245527b79f5.jpeg

I’m down with the sustainability thing and think this kind of thing is a good idea for Martin, but that’s more than an HD-28. For a maple/walnut guitar with no pearl at all. Don’t make it a budget guitar but who is paying that for this?

It seems to fulfill a need I have yet to identify.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Well, I like the look.  I think some of their claims are a bit of wishful thinking, but I'm a mechanical engineer who has done a LOT of structural design and analysis for stress & vibration issues in my day.  They have to water down the message.

"X" relieved bracing isn't magic, it allows a deeper brace for the same weight and increases the bending moment of inertia.  In other words, it is a stiffer brace at the same weight.  There is a reason an I-beam looks like an I-beam.

I'm skeptical about the walnut insert in the back.  A 3-piece structure that's glued up just seems compromised by design.  Perhaps that's the real reason it "sings" more -- it's not the choice of woods, it's just a more flexible structure.

I don't mind the lack of pearl whatsoever.  I think it looks great with the maple inlays.  Subtle and classy.  I also like the burst and the choice of colors.

I'd buy it if it sounded as good as a $4K alternative and I was in the market (which I'm not).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Yeah I’m not against simple - I mean really the hd-28 has very little embellishment and one of my favorite guitars is the ooo-15m. I feel like $2500 is where you start with all solid traditional tone woods, $3k is where you start talking about premium exotic tone woods, and $4k is where you’re getting into the “shiny” conversation. Although browsing the catalogue, maybe that’s 5.

I suppose I’m thinking about this in the way they want people to stop thinking about this, but sustainable is typically also economical? I’m down with richlite but I don’t want to pay ebony prices for it.

Martin does of course have a lot if 3 piece back experience with the 35. What is the flagship Taylor guitar? Or I guess, the flagship concert body Taylor? Would he really interested to play these side by side. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/7/2024 at 6:18 AM, G650 said:

You know those times when you pickup the guitar and sit down and it just flows? Had one of those last night. Good shit.

unfortunately, no.  but that's my own fault for not practicing more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/9/2024 at 10:17 AM, Celery Man said:

Yeah I’m not against simple - I mean really the hd-28 has very little embellishment and one of my favorite guitars is the ooo-15m. I feel like $2500 is where you start with all solid traditional tone woods, $3k is where you start talking about premium exotic tone woods, and $4k is where you’re getting into the “shiny” conversation. Although browsing the catalogue, maybe that’s 5.

I suppose I’m thinking about this in the way they want people to stop thinking about this, but sustainable is typically also economical? I’m down with richlite but I don’t want to pay ebony prices for it.

Martin does of course have a lot if 3 piece back experience with the 35. What is the flagship Taylor guitar? Or I guess, the flagship concert body Taylor? Would he really interested to play these side by side. 

Maybe the Taylor 814CE ?

The 814 is a fantastic guitar. 714 is as well, basically the same I think just a little less ornamented.

I have a 2004 810ce, which is a dreadnought style they don’t make anymore. Just a great guitar. Has really opened up and sounds glorious.

The bracing in the newer models really makes them sound awesome imo.

My 2000 Taylor 310 has sapele ("mahogany") back and sides and a spruce top.  I still love it.  On the bright side, as all Taylors are, but a good clear low end without being boomy.
Also, no money wasted on decorative bullshit.

I had a 314 with sapele. Wish I had it back.

On 1/10/2024 at 6:46 PM, jimmyjazz said:

My 2000 Taylor 310 has sapele ("mahogany") back and sides and a spruce top.  I still love it.  On the bright side, as all Taylors are, but a good clear low end without being boomy.

Also, no money wasted on decorative bullshit.

Still loving the 714ce.  Makes me sound ok

Just now, tbone_ said:

Ooohh. Hell yea. Details please.

1989 made in Japan hard tail strat with a motivated seller.  The pickguard and pickups are not original.  Has some fender custom shop pups in it that I can’t fully identify.  It’s been knocked around a bit and has an all natural relic job but the neck/frets are in good shape.  Plays and sounds great.  Deciding if I want to keep it for awhile or just re-list on reverb.  If I keep it, I’ll probably swap the pickguard and knobs for parchment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3