The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, gasman said:

BC Rich Warlock or go home.

ESP LTD, Dean or Chad's suggestion of Schecter all have metal guitars in that price range. Or get him an Ibanez and a can of Aquanet. 

I forgot to add. My son has an ESP LTD Viper 400. It is a darn nice guitar. The EMG pickups actually really good. Easy to play. Not sure if it is "metal" enough for your needs. 

Sweetwater has the Viper  256 that I bet they could drop close to your price range. 
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VIPER256STBC--esp-ltd-viper-256-see-thru-black-cherry?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3157640887&rkg_id=0&product_id=VIPER256STBC&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping - Not In Stock&adgroup=Guitars&placement=google&adpos=1o2&creative=105593157841&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx4mYr92i3wIVk7fACh1ZjgcmEAQYAiABEgKoxfD_BwE

Edited by gasman

@Not a cat was asking for recs on an inexpensive guitar in Help recently and wound up with one of these, which his daughter was happy with.  Cool looking guitars, I need to take one off the wall if I see one at Guitar Center and fiddle with it.

LesPaulSL_PA_Splash.jpg

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENOLPACH--epiphone-les-paul-sl-pacific-blue

he has an awesome story about getting it set up, i'll see if he notices the bat signal and shares it with the group :) 

Cool story.

My experience has shown me that good luthiers don't mind working on cheap guitars. They love what what they do and making someone happy with their work. They're also smart enough to not turn off a paying customer.

I took my Epi Les Paul to Willie's luthier. God knows he has better things to do, but he made my guitar great, didn't look down on my $400 guitar, and was nothing but pleasant.

I have had opposite experiences, and fuck those guys.

Edited by Deej

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

So I did my first solo acoustic thing last night. Played and sang about 30 tunes at a party for about 75 people. Eye opening experience for sure.

That's awesome.  I've got mad respect for you now that I understand the work involved in getting good, plus the balls it takes to get up there and let it all hang out.

It was really what Celery said, when it's just you there is no safety net. But like I said a while back I've been actively working at doing this for a bit. I've been practicing a bunch.

To put it in context, 2 years ago I could barely get words out in time with a song while playing. Forget carrying a tune. I've been playing for 40 years but never a singer. Back in the summer I decided to take voice lessons and it made a huge difference. Very very awkward. Talk about getting outside your comfort zone. I highly recommend it for everyone.

The occasion was a Christmas party at our neighbors house. Good friends and I would know most everyone. They asked on Friday night if I would play and drunk me said yes. I have a turbo sound inspire ip1000. First time I have used it outside my jam room. There were some issues. It was outside and dark. Couldn't read my song charts on the music stand (I now own a clip on light) Snark style tuner fell apart in pieces right before I started. Volume was a challenge. Singing in practice apparently much different than singing for volume through a rig that isn't quite loud enough. Fuck it. The show must go on. Did two sets. The second was better but all in all it went as well as I could have expected. The crowd seemed interested, which was really my only goal. Well, that and to not suck.

Here are the tunes. I don't remember the order...

Pink houses

What it's like (everlast)

Sundown (G Lightfoot)

Free Fallin

He went to Paris

Margaritaville

Rocket man

Rebels (Petty)

City of New Orleans

Can't you see

Turn the page

Tear stained eye

Super 8

Angel from Montgomery

Wicked twisted road

Wind cries Mary

Last of my kind (Isbell)

Pride and joy

Folsom prison blues

Bobby McGee

Mary had a little lamb

Toes (Z Brown)

American Girl

Hey Joe

So, 24 tunes I guess. Total blast.

• Like 5

yeah, if you're on stage in a group, "you're" not performing, the group is performing.  you can vibe off of the other people, and at any moment you can both distract yourself with that and also somewhat live in a reality where people aren't staring at you.  If you fuck up, there's still other noise happening.  Break a string, it doesn't grind the whole thing to a halt.  If your voice wavers, it's not the only thing.  That girl is looking at me - cool.  Not every single person here is staring at me.

2 minutes ago, DougO said:

My playing improved substantially over the past couple of years.

I still don't know a single fn' song.

learn a song a week.  start out with.... uh, Mama Tried.  Simple.  You know how to play chords, you're just memorizing the order and the lyrics.  Even if you get a bit more ambitious, if you're picking out relatively straightforward pop/rock/country/folk songs you're going to run into maybe a weird chord a song.  People have made youtube videos of how to play basically every song, and they're better than tabs because it's quicker to tell when they did a shitty job of figuring out the music, and easier to grok what they mean as compared to tab (which is extremely lacking as a form of music dictation in the first place).

I've slacked off recently but it's an enjoyable way to play guitar more, and a lot of the time you learn really simple ways to do interesting things that are just based around simple chords.

Since I’m going to be getting back into playing electric, I would like some advice on becoming more educated and well rounded with the guitar. 

My skills and theory knowledge is patchwork, built up through learning to play songs I liked by ear.  I sometimes am surprised to stumble across things I know somewhat, even pretty well, but not formally.  Like “Oh, appregios.  I am comfortable with a few of those from song X, Y and Z” or “Oh, yeah, I know the Dorian mode from all those Santana songs.”  That’s where I would be coming from.

I live in a very rural area where there is no option to take lessons.  What I envision would be something comprehensive from beginner to advanced in a logical order where lessons/skills build on each other.  Where I could review stuff I know well, perhaps just learning some of the terminology describing it, while focusing on the areas I haven’t been exposed to through my plucking around in the past.

Buy this book: The Guitar Handbook: A Unique Source Book for the Guitar Player - Amateur or Professional, Acoustic or Electrice, Rock, Blues, Jazz, or Folk https://www.amazon.com/dp/0679742751/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zEqgCbKM4HHHE

Then this set:
Fretboard Logic Box Set (3 Volumes and 2 Videos Combined in Two Books and One DVD Disc) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1893884058/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jFqgCbGTAXPDG

• Like 1

Along Buzz's music room, I am restaking my claim on my former room.  There was much gnashing of teeth and fit-throwing on the part of my wife.  Wasn't pleasant, but I never ask for anything around this joint and here,  but I put my foot down.  Never mind that her NEVER used sewing area in the bonus room takes up twice the room and likely has as much money invested in it.  One of those motherfuckers has never been turned on.....in 8 years.  But enough of my bitching.  I hope to reconnect everything tonight.

I have an A/B switch but I want something that handles more amps.  Who posted the one that handle 4?    I need to inflict some additional damage to this war.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Since I’m going to be getting back into playing electric, I would like some advice on becoming more educated and well rounded with the guitar. 

My skills and theory knowledge is patchwork, built up through learning to play songs I liked by ear.  I sometimes am surprised to stumble across things I know somewhat, even pretty well, but not formally.  Like “Oh, appregios.  I am comfortable with a few of those from song X, Y and Z” or “Oh, yeah, I know the Dorian mode from all those Santana songs.”  That’s where I would be coming from.

I live in a very rural area where there is no option to take lessons.  What I envision would be something comprehensive from beginner to advanced in a logical order where lessons/skills build on each other.  Where I could review stuff I know well, perhaps just learning some of the terminology describing it, while focusing on the areas I haven’t been exposed to through my plucking around in the past.

Did you decide on the LP or the Godin.  I used to have an acoustic/electric Godin that was hollow body but looked like a tele.  It has a GREAT neck on it.  I LOVED that guitar.  I still can't talk about why I don't have it any longer.  Horrible story that I have tried to block from my memory.  I imagine that when I die, that guitar is the last thing I will ever see.   I've never played a true, solid body electric of their's though.  

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

Did you decide on the LP or the Godin.  I used to have an acoustic/electric Godin that was hollow body but looked like a tele.  It has a GREAT neck on it.  I LOVED that guitar.  I still can't talk about why I don't have it any longer.  Horrible story that I have tried to block from my memory.  I imagine that when I die, that guitar is the last thing I will ever see.   I've never played a true, solid body electric of their's though.  

They are my brother's guitars and I will be visiting him in ATX the 2nd week of January to give them a spin and see which one grabs me and won't let go.  I'll post some pics when I have made my decision.

Thanks for the head's up on your experience, it sounds like they are pretty well regarded as a great guitar for the money with their semi-acoustics being especially well thought of.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Along Buzz's music room, I am restaking my claim on my former room.  There was much gnashing of teeth and fit-throwing on the part of my wife.  Wasn't pleasant, but I never ask for anything around this joint and here,  but I put my foot down.  Never mind that her NEVER used sewing area in the bonus room takes up twice the room and likely has as much money invested in it.  One of those motherfuckers has never been turned on.....in 8 years.  But enough of my bitching.  I hope to reconnect everything tonight.

I have an A/B switch but I want something that handles more amps.  Who posted the one that handle 4?    I need to inflict some additional damage to this war.  

Twas I. And Buzzrock is right. You want the Radial Headlight. (Radial makes the tonebone, switchbone, X-bone stuff)

Also, the Radial Shotgun is similar. Just go to Radial's website and start exploring. They've got fucking every kind of switching, looping, mixing, DI, etc. thing you can think of.

Another company that specializes in that shit is Lehle. They're out of Europe I think and super pricey though. 

1) Son comes home for semester from UT,  "I think I want to buy a Strat." (never played guitar, but good drummer and some violin experience)
2) Wife says last night, "what do we get the kids for Christmas?"  How convenient... 
3) Tell her to Googlez "Squier", because daddy ain't spending $400 (at least) to find out if junior likes guitar.
4) She finds this and shows me.  I sez buy the mofo:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSND-3B2hCIF7a1hP8y

2 Benjamins.  Verry nice, I actually played gigs for a year with a Squier just like the one above, 'cept black body.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1