The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I’ve had shitty luck with Delta too over the past year or so. But had a close to similar experience with AA last month - was supposed to get back to RDU from IND through IAD but had to rebook to connect through JFK, where I got stuck on the tarmac and thought I would certainly miss my flight or the crew would time out. Avoid booking a late flight when possible these days - you end up having to stay the night somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Goredho said:

That brings up a want I have.  Anyone got some guitar/music outdoor art suggestions to hang outside my studio/office?  Was considering a DIY strat design made of barbed wire affixed to a plate of light wood for contrast, but I never seem to have time.

C6E7FCBC-69CB-4FC4-8F53-BE18FAA7051C.jpeg

4D81F02500000578-5874999-image-a-51_1529

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

After a long back order wait my Martin D-12 28 came in. I have wanted one of these for decades, just so damn expensive. It's a bear to play, but the extra effort is helping my 6 string playing...sort of like running with leg weights on...when you take them off you feel light as a feather. It's making me conscious of buzzing and sloppy fretting since you have twice as many strings to accidentally mute or mis-fret, so I guess that's a lesson I needed. Hard to play, but it really does sound like the proverbial chorus of angels. 

It may just be getting used to it, or it may need a slight neck or bridge height adjustment. But in the meantime, I find when I start picking up my acoustical after a long layoff, using a capo makes it a lot easier to play while you build up your game.

• Hook 'Em 1

That's an awesome crab. I would love to be a part of something like that.

A couple of decades ago there was an old storage building in town that had a giant metal sculpture of pair of beautician scissors standing out front for a while. Must have been 15-20 feet tall. I loved that thing, but never found out what it was about.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Goredho said:

That brings up a want I have.  Anyone got some guitar/music outdoor art suggestions to hang outside my studio/office?  Was considering a DIY strat design made of barbed wire affixed to a plate of light wood for contrast, but I never seem to have time.

C6E7FCBC-69CB-4FC4-8F53-BE18FAA7051C.jpeg

I'd make a suggestion, but you'd just ended buying a new one a few months down the road. 

• Haha 2

Any of you guys used a harmonizer pedal to sub in for a 12 string? 
We are starting to play some songs with 12 string parts, but I'd rather not have to deal with a 12 live if I don't have to.  The switching between 6/12 is just too much 70s excess for me.

Why is this even a question?

7b6549d5d94004f8ab6cb3f0c04c5dd9.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I knew that was going to be the answer.  And if I had Don Felder or Jimmy Page's money, I'd probably get one. 

Yeah those guys were probably the kind of kids that wore $800 Nikes to gym class but couldn't play basketball worth a shit.

If you get one, if it doesn't have at least five necks, you shouldn't have gotten it.

Edited by phdhorn

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Any of you guys used a harmonizer pedal to sub in for a 12 string? 

We are starting to play some songs with 12 string parts, but I'd rather not have to deal with a 12 live if I don't have to.  The switching between 6/12 is just too much 70s excess for me.

I have a 12 string emulation in my Line 6 Helix FX.  It’s just ok, and not good enough for recording, so I ultimately bought a Danelectro 12 for that purpose.  The emulation might be ok in a live mix, but you would definitely be sacrificing some sonic qualities for convenience and only you could judge if it sounds good enough.  I can send you a recorded snippet if you want.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DougO said:

It may just be getting used to it, or it may need a slight neck or bridge height adjustment. But in the meantime, I find when I start picking up my acoustical after a long layoff, using a capo makes it a lot easier to play while you build up your game.

It's frustrating as hell. A barre F is darn near impossible. If I get my index finger good and planted so I get good fretting on the low E, that places the fleshy part of the lower finger right on top of the B and no matter how hard I push it's just a thud. Part of it is that the neck is wider than my 6 strings, but I'm afraid the main culprit is the same thing that limits my ability to post photos...I'm getting a bad case of the olds and hands are weaker. Makes me respect, even more, people like Kottke. 

I have a 12 string emulation in my Line 6 Helix FX.  It’s just ok, and not good enough for recording, so I ultimately bought a Danelectro 12 for that purpose.  The emulation might be ok in a live mix, but you would definitely be sacrificing some sonic qualities for convenience and only you could judge if it sounds good enough.  I can send you a recorded snippet if you want.

I have a Dane 12 but the action is real high way above the 10th fret. Maybe I just need to get it set up.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

I have a Dane 12 but the action is real high way above the 10th fret. Maybe I just need to get it set up.

Another not very serious suggestion for a 2-in-1 option would be a Rickenbacker 12 string convertible.  I played one and didn't care for it, but you may love it.

If you are interested in standalone 12 strings that are more playable than the Dane, my brother has a Fender ST-12 TX 12-String and it plays great -- much better than my danelectro.  I think he got it for $750 used, but that was some years ago.

gypwpxmyr3q2thijnmll.jpg

Edited by Goredho

Another not very serious suggestion for a 2-in-1 option would be a Rickenbacker 12 string convertible.  I played one and didn't care for it, but you may love it.
If you are interested in standalone 12 strings that are more playable than the Dane, my brother has a Fender ST-12 TX 12-String and it plays great -- much better than my danelectro.  I think he got it for $750 used, but that was some years ago.

gypwpxmyr3q2thijnmll.jpg

I’ve been watching those. Does he want to sell it?

But the whole reason I asked about the harmonizer was to avoid switching guitars mid song.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I’ve been watching those. Does he want to sell it?

But the whole reason I asked about the harmonizer was to avoid switching guitars mid song.

No, he doesn’t.  Looks like they are going for over a grand now used.  There are a few available on reverb.

I just threw it out because it sounded like you might consider using the Danelectro but that it had some playability issues.

• Like 1

No, he doesn’t.  Looks like they are going for over a grand now used.  There are a few available on reverb.
I just threw it out because it sounded like you might consider using the Danelectro but that it had some playability issues.

Yeah I know. It does. Plus a vintage Fender Electric XII or a Ric are crazy expensive.

But really I just don’t want to switch guitars mid song. And that ES-1275 looks like a real back breaker.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Yeah I know. It does. Plus a vintage Fender Electric XII or a Ric are crazy expensive.

But really I just don’t want to switch guitars mid song. And that ES-1275 looks like a real back breaker.

This sounds better than what is built into my HXFX.  There are a lot on reverb around $200 new or $150 used.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

A few more days with the Silver Sky SE. I still haven’t found a flaw. Man, they killed it. It has to be in the top few sub $1000 guitars.

It also just fits my hand and reach better than my Strat and Les Paul. And it is significantly lighter than both (Les Paul duh).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

A few more days with the Silver Sky SE. I still haven’t found a flaw. Man, they killed it. It has to be in the top few sub $1000 guitars.

It also just fits my hand and reach better than my Strat and Les Paul. And it is significantly lighter than both (Les Paul duh).

Do you think it’s going to make your Strat redundant?

On 8/20/2022 at 3:20 PM, Fastbreak said:

Yup… I am still trying to find a flaw 

58 minutes ago, tigol said:

Is a cutaway just a looks thing or is there another purpose?

28 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

It’s so you can get your fingers up to the high frets

I guess nylon string guys doing flamenco shit but... man if I had a penny for every time I've used anything about maybe the 16th fret on an acoustic to make actual music I don't know that I'd have a penny.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Anyone have experience with Rainsong carbon fiber guitars?

Couple of gigging guys I know around town are playing them and they sound pretty damn good.

Kind of digging this one

https://www.rainsong.com/nws-1

bb6b60cb0d66542349d936dec2d86bd3.jpg

I had one for a while. Sold it to a guy that wanted to keep it on his boat. It was unbelievably clear. When they say "bell like" they mean it. It was also very unforgiving of any mistakes. If you misfret, you and everyone around will know it. Did I say it was really clear? It sounded amazing and had huge projection. Always stable and stayed in tune for months and months. It was also nice not having to worry about humidity or if you accidentally left it in the car in less than ideal weather. 

The N2 neck is U shape if that matters to you. 

Also, if you get one, go full tilt and get the carbon top. Ted at LA Guitar Sales was great for me when I purchased mine. 

Oh, and sharks are cooler than birds for fret markers. 

• Like 1