Jump to content

The Guitar Pron Thread


Celery Man

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, noharleyyet said:

Rarely use a pick...thumb/index finger & index nail bed. 

This is me. I still can't properly grip a pick with enough pressure after fucking my hand up. They just slip around or I drop them. So frustrating. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So in totally random occurrences, I reading about something and it mentioned Jeff Beck have a Snarling Dog wah. What a blast from the past. I can't remember the exact circumstances but my buddy like won a years supply of strings in a contest or giveaway of some sort back in the day and somehow I ended up with a shitload of Charlie Stringer Snarling Dog strings sometime around probably 1996 or 97. Still have the T shirt.

 

IMG-20220926-171101571.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, G650 said:

So in totally random occurrences, I reading about something and it mentioned Jeff Beck have a Snarling Dog wah. What a blast from the past. I can't remember the exact circumstances but my buddy like won a years supply of strings in a contest or giveaway of some sort back in the day and somehow I ended up with a shitload of Charlie Stringer Snarling Dog strings sometime around probably 1996 or 97. Still have the T shirt.

 

IMG-20220926-171101571.jpg

 

 

I have a hand-held chord finder thing from them in my stash of old stuff somewhere.

  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never was much good with a pick, I was not very accurate, missed strings too much. But I had to have one to play for most of my life. About a decade ago I started picking up a guitar again once in a while by keeping one by my comfy chair. When I got the urge to pick it up I was too lazy to go find a pick. So I developed a very poor style of my own of using my fingers. But it kind of worked for me, so I just stuck with it. I liked feeling the strings and controlling them better, more accuracy and ability to mute in different ways and not have so many stray tones. I still suck but I'm better without the pick playing with just fingers in a totally wrong bad habit technique, really nothing like a Lindsey Buckingham or Mark Knofler type thing, which they would be glad to know.

 

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the Squier 50’s Classic Vibe Strat:

The tuners are terrible. That’s going to be the first thing to go for sure. It needs a setup but the neck relief looks pretty good from the eyeball test and there’s not much buzz. The frets ends are ok but I’m looking forward to trying my hand at dressing them and rolling the fret board a little. I didn’t really examine the bridge yet. I imagine it’s pretty cheap and could do with a replacement.

But I’m very happy with the single coils, so I won’t be in a rush to replace those. It’s absolutely stupid how long it has taken for me to get a SSS Strat. My basement is still all torn up, so all I could plug into was the Spark, but I can’t wait to crank it through the Bassbreaker. For $275 shipped this thing was a steal.

I might sand off all the identifying markings and make it a real oddball. Mint pick guard will be a must (with extra holes of course).

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

So the Squier 50’s Classic Vibe Strat:

The tuners are terrible. That’s going to be the first thing to go for sure. It needs a setup but the neck relief looks pretty good from the eyeball test and there’s not much buzz. The frets ends are ok but I’m looking forward to trying my hand at dressing them and rolling the fret board a little. I didn’t really examine the bridge yet. I imagine it’s pretty cheap and could do with a replacement.

But I’m very happy with the single coils, so I won’t be in a rush to replace those. It’s absolutely stupid how long it has taken for me to get a SSS Strat. My basement is still all torn up, so all I could plug into was the Spark, but I can’t wait to crank it through the Bassbreaker. For $275 shipped this thing was a steal.

I might sand off all the identifying markings and make it a real oddball. Mint pick guard will be a must (with extra holes of course).

My partscaster is a classic vibe body, but that's pretty much it.  The neck is 42 years old American made replacement neck that has some nice pro roadwear from Zappa's band in the 80s.  The pickups are American standard, and everything else is from eBay.  It's a fantastic little guitar.  And the price, $275.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

So the Squier 50’s Classic Vibe Strat:

The tuners are terrible. That’s going to be the first thing to go for sure. It needs a setup but the neck relief looks pretty good from the eyeball test and there’s not much buzz. The frets ends are ok but I’m looking forward to trying my hand at dressing them and rolling the fret board a little. I didn’t really examine the bridge yet. I imagine it’s pretty cheap and could do with a replacement.

But I’m very happy with the single coils, so I won’t be in a rush to replace those. It’s absolutely stupid how long it has taken for me to get a SSS Strat. My basement is still all torn up, so all I could plug into was the Spark, but I can’t wait to crank it through the Bassbreaker. For $275 shipped this thing was a steal.

I might sand off all the identifying markings and make it a real oddball. Mint pick guard will be a must (with extra holes of course).

Shame about the tuners. Mine was an early Chinese one and had split shaft tuners that were rock solid. I couldn't make that thing go out of tune. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, G650 said:

I've been a die hard locking tuners guy since I got my Strat plus back in early 90's. Of course I'm too lazy to change any of my other guitars, but still, I am quite fond of them.

My story exactly.  Strat Plus, loved the tuners, changed out the stupid Lace Sensor pickups for Van Zandts, eventually sold the guitar because I'm an idiot.

Those tuners were bulletproof.  I've never owned any since then.

  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got the Fender locking tuners that look like split shafts on that gold Strat. I do find them a bit more fiddly on string changes than normal split shafts, mainly removing the old strings

What I really like about split shafts is I can make a Tele into a 5 string open G guitar quickly, and when I'm done, I can put the string I took off right back on. 

Edited by Deej
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll spare you the pics, but damn that new Tele sure plays well. It has inspired me to pick up and play a lot more than I have been. Ive been getting up an hour before my alarm in the mornings and getting some playing in every day. I'm setting an alert for the first fool who swaps out the neck and pickups on theirs and posts them for sale. 

  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'll spare you the pics, but damn that new Tele sure plays well. It has inspired me to pick up and play a lot more than I have been. Ive been getting up an hour before my alarm in the mornings and getting some playing in every day. I'm setting an alert for the first fool who swaps out the neck and pickups on theirs and posts them for sale. 

It’s good for mental health to rock out with your 🍆 out once a day

  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My first Gibson was almost a wine red LP studio.  My old man got it for me for Christmas and put it up, by between purchase and Christmas he realized I was an AC/DC fanatic and i rambled on and on about SGs so he took it back and exchanged it for an SG studio and that's what showed up on Christmas morning.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, G650 said:

My first Gibson was almost a wine red LP studio.  My old man got it for me for Christmas and put it up, by between purchase and Christmas he realized I was an AC/DC fanatic and i rambled on and on about SGs so he took it back and exchanged it for an SG studio and that's what showed up on Christmas morning.

Mine is my first LP. My dad bought it for me

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Team LP Studio.  Fantastic guitars.  I've owned two Fadeds (one wine red, one brown-ish) and a couple of SGs (one Faded, one legit).

I still gravitate to Telecasters, but those others were really cool guitars.

Edited by jimmyjazz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first electric guitar I ever fell in love with (while taking lessons at Brook Mays with my Sears bought electric in about 1980) was a wine red Les Paul custom with gold hardware.

Sort of like how when watching Charlie’s Angels back in the day at about 8 years old I first noticed Farrah was “different”.

You never forget your first true love.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

The first electric guitar I ever fell in love with (while taking lessons at Brook Mays with my Sears bought electric in about 1980) was a wine red Les Paul custom with gold hardware.

Sort of like how when watching Charlie’s Angels back in the day at about 8 years old I first noticed Farrah was “different”.

You never forget your first true love.

Ya know it’s funny,  I never fell in love with one single brand or guitar. I just sorta was wide eyed anytime I saw something cool that caught my eye since I started playing in 1995. Then one day I was like “wow look at this Kurt cobain Jaguar. I should buy it… oh shit I got the money I can do that now!” And just started buying shit from my childhood And years after I always wanted but couldn’t afford. My whole collection has a story and I’m happy to share for some csb moments 

  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still have my wine red Les Paul Studio. It was my first LP and when I played it I had this feeling like I arrived or something. (I listened to some recordings I made with it back then and I most definately had not arrived.) When my oldest gets big enough to appreciate it, it'll be his first "real" guitar. Hope it means something to him. It's an early-90s model, which were some damn good years for Gibson. I still play it because it has the thickest neck of any guitar I own and sometimes you just want to feel something substantial (that's what she said).

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a midnight wine USA mid-90s Strat that's near minty. I got it dirt cheap from a friend who was desperate to sell it so he could buy another guitar, and he threw out the price tag. I actually tried to talk him out of selling it, but I eventually caved and bought it. 

But I'm kind of color blind when I'm not in bright light, and his place was kind of dark. I actually thought it was black when I bought it. I didn't realize it was midnight wine until a couple of days later. And now ever time I see it I think aggy. In fact, it belonged to an aggy before my friend bought it. It's a great guitar, but I just don't have any feeling for it, especially with the aggy color. I should have sold it long ago, but its one of my five USA made guitars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My second guitar was a Washburn KC-40 in blue. It was a great shredder guitar, floyd rose, fast neck, decent pickups. Too bad the owner couldn't shred worth a crap.

No photo description available.

I traded it in for this 1985 (?) black-on-black Telecaster.

No photo description available.

It was hanging in a pawn shop on Lamar. For $450, it came with a cigarette burn on the neck and chips in the paint. I've owned it for 25 years now, new pups, pots, 4-way switch. Playing it is like having a conversations with an old friend. I know everything about it, and where to find the tone that I want. Still can't play worth a shit though.

Several years ago, I mentioned here that I was going to trade it for a black Strat. A lot of you told me not to trade. To that, I say thank you. That would have been one of the top 5 mistakes if I had gone through with it. So thank you.

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Deej said:

You replace the 3 way switch with a 4 way. The 4th position puts the two pickups in series, giving you a thicker, louder tone. Think of the two single-coil pickups suddenly becoming one big humbucker. 

on mine (circa.... 2013ish american pro) you enable that by pressing the button on top of the volume knob. Great setting, although of course same deal with coil splitting - big volume jump.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Baja has the four way switch, and button on top of the volume knob. The button, if in position 2 on the switch, puts the pickups in parallel, but out of phase. In position 4, it puts the neck and bridge pups in series, but out of phase. If the button is not depressed, position 2 is both pups parallel and in phase, and position 4 is both pickups in series and in phase.

Edited by Deej
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I put the 4 way switch on the partscaster w the bigsby i keep in Texas. I dont care for it. I dont really use the added position and it makes it more complicated finding the positions I do use on the fly. Front, middle, back. Done. Thats the way it should be.

My American Deluxe has the pushbutton in the Volume knob Celery mentioned. Much better. At least its out of the way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...