Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

is broughton considered better than collins?

Man, that’s a tough one.  Broughton looks like a nose and Collins looks like a future DE in the mold of Omenihu.  They are both top 5 instate prospects in my opinion.  The hilarious part is that 24/7 has them both as 3 star prospects.  This will change as they go through the camp circuit.  Collins and Princely dominated the most recent camp.  

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

would getting one affect the other?  and if so, which one would you rather have?

I'd rather have the slightly better prospect in Broughton, but missing on Collins would piss me off more due to his built-in Texas connections 

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

Look at how Broughton was moving this past weekend at 6'5 280 on twitter, if you can find it. Also, look at how he exploded off the edge from pass rushing drills from the previous camp this spring that he attended, if you can find it 

Well goddamn. Fuck this guy's quest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Steve Wiltfong: Texas pushing for another unreal recruiting haul in 2020

While Texas will certainly be a sexy preseason playoff pick leading into the 2019 college football season, this 2020 class is one that the Longhorns staff is hoping springboards the program into an annual contender. Tom Herman and company have signed the nation’s No. 3 recruiting class two cycles in a row per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings and they’re already off to a fast start with these rising juniors.

All five commits hold a four-star grade headlined by St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic’s dynamic playmaker Mookie Cooper who is pegged to play in the slot in Austin. Cooper and four-star offensive tackle Jaylen Garthcommitted over the weekend, slotting this Longhorns class No. 10 nationally at this point in the process. Three things to like about how Herman and his staff are building this thing.

It looks like Herman has his quarterback room on the right track after the previous regime left it in shambles. When Sam Ehlinger signed with the local program out of Austin (Texas) Westlake in 2017, he was the only prospect in that class to rank in the top 20 of the state to choose the Longhorns. He had a historic sophomore season last fall in guiding Texas to a 10-4 record, a showing in the Big 12 title game and an impressive Sugar Bowl win over Georgia, throwing for 3,292 yards and 25 touchdowns with another 16 rushing scores. The 41 touchdowns combined is the second-most in one season in school history, just three behind the total Colt McCoy posted in 2008.

If you have the triggerman, you have a chance. Ehlinger’s got two more years left in Austin and he has some guys coming in behind him to help elevate that quarterback room. Early returns on 2019 signee Roschon Johnson are high; Johnson who enrolled early after throwing for 22 touchdowns and rushing for 26 more as a senior at Port Neches (Texas) Groves. Coming in behind him is 2020 product Hudson Card out of nearby Lake Travis who passed for 3,543 yards and 50 touchdowns with nine rushing scores. Beyond the high level of production, Herman and his staff put a lot of emphasis on the intangibles of the position, the fact that like Ehlinger both Johnson and Card are catalysts of winning high school programs that have the competitiveness and mental toughness to handle the responsibilities of QB1 at Texas.

In-state recruiting has been much kinder to Texas since the Ehlinger class, and home-cooking has seen the Longhorns recruit the back seven over two cycles as well as any other program in the country when considering athleticism, length and physicality. The 2018 class alone brought in Caden Sterns, B.J. Foster, Jalen Green, DeMarvion Overshown and Anthony Cook, and in 2019 Tyler Owens and David Gbenda along with De’Gabriel Floyd from California and Kenyatta Watson from Georgia gives the Longhorns defense the right DNA to match up with the high-octane offenses of the Big 12.

As Ehlinger continues to develop, the offense should get more potent. He’s got plenty of new talent to toss the rock too. Boosting an already strong receiver room is the best 2019 pass-catching haul to sign outside of — sorry — the one put together in Norman: Receivers Bru McCoy, Jordan Whittington, Jake Smith, Marcus Washington and Kennedy Lewis along with tight ends Jared Wiley and Brayden Liebrock. Herman’s had some prolific offenses in his career as the head guy at Houston and offensive coordinator at Ohio State. He’s stockpiling weapons for Ehlinger to distribute too.

Texas’ offensive line room was another in chaos and has started to solidify and 2020 is on track to be the best coup yet. Three offensive linemen are already committed this cycle as Garth joined four-star guards in Logan Parr and Jake Majors. A source around the program talked about the demand mentally the Texas offense puts on the hogmollies up front and the three in the fold have impressed just as much with their aptitude as their physical abilities.

How can Herman and the staff take it up another level? If you’re looking for two areas that are going to push this program over the top from a 2020 perspective it’s running back and defensive line. Those are the biggest needs for Texas this cycle. It’s a terrific running back year in-state with the No. 1 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite Zachary Evansheadlining the list. Texas is the early 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite for the Houston (Texas) North Shore talent but they’re in a battle with the likes of Texas A&M, Alabama, Georgia and LSU among others. Aledo (Texas) High five-star Jase McClellan has been committed to Oklahoma since July of 2017 but has been to Texas a couple times since. Another five-star in Kendall Milton from California visits this weekend. The Longhorns will have their opportunity to land an elite guy this go-round.

Flipping to the other side of the ball, Texas appears to be in good shape with three of their top in-state defensive line targets in Alfred Collins, Vernon Broughton and Prince Dorbah. The 247Sports Crystal Ball favors the Longhorns for each.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

I feel like it's always tough for O-linemen in those sort of drills, just one-on-one with no pads.

Nevertheless, it's impressive.

The biggest thing I take from clips like these is athleticism and size, although sometimes when an OL dominates, it's noteworthy

Not sure how much Broughton weighed at Army, he's not on the measureables results for some reason, but that was only a month ago and he's currently 280. He moves really well for his size 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I doubt even he is stupid enough to trash his employers on twitter this obviously. He's almost certainly referring to these rankings:

https://n.rivals.com/state_rankings/2020/texas

Hmmm did those dumb shits have them even lower in the previous rankings? Thompson (up 9 spots to #5) and Broughton (up 6 spots to #19) both got bumps in the composit when the new rivals rankings were added today, also Lindberg rose 4 spots to #8 in the state. 

1 minute ago, bEastTexas said:

Hmmm did those dumb shits have them even lower in the previous rankings? Thompson (up 9 spots to #5) and Broughton (up 6 spots to #19) both got bumps in the composit when the new rivals rankings were added today, also Lindberg rose 4 spots to #8 in the state. 

It seems the state rankings don't yet reflect the updates that are seen in the Top100. Eg, Broughton and Thompson are ahead of several ppl in the national rankings who appear ahead of them in the Texas rankings.

6 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

It seems the state rankings don't yet reflect the updates that are seen in the Top100. Eg, Broughton and Thompson are ahead of several ppl in the national rankings who appear ahead of them in the Texas rankings.

Those numbers are from the updated Texas rankings, that’s why I’m asking if Rivals had them even lower before this since they both still rose quite a bit in the composite despite rankings in the 30’s on Rivals. 

🤦‍♂️

Ignore the Texas Rivals Texas Rankings list. They are not up to date - they say Rivals has ranked Broughton as the 33rd best player in Texas, when in fact they have him ranked as the 11th best player in Texas. So he went from 33rd to 11th in this update, it just isn't yet reflected in their Texas-specific list.

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

🤦‍♂️

Ignore the Texas Rivals Texas Rankings list. They are not up to date - they say Rivals has ranked Broughton as the 33rd best player in Texas, when in fact they have him ranked as the 11th best player in Texas. So he went from 33rd to 11th in this update, it just isn't yet reflected in their Texas-specific list.

Should get the full updates tomorrow and/or Thursday.  Would think Collins and Majors enter the top 70 in Texas.

4 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

🤦‍♂️

Ahhh that makes sense now  

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Should get the full updates tomorrow and/or Thursday.  Would think Collins and Majors enter the top 70 in Texas.

Broughton should get another big jump tomorrow with the new 247 rankings as they currently have him at #40 in the state. 

19 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

14 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Ahhh that makes sense now  

Broughton should get another big jump tomorrow with the new 247 rankings as they currently have him at #40 in the state. 

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

All 4 of our main DL targets are 3*'s on 247.  I wouldn't be surprised if all 4 are bumped up tomorrow.

But no football has been played!!!  

• Like 1

I don’t know if it’s the intended goal but Texas is doing a hell of a job marketing/branding Carrington. 

That’s now LSU and Oregon that have missed on Carrington. 

Carrington is putting work in on the recruiting trail but he’s also building up a rep just with his “brand”. Hell, there are more people that know about Carrington than anyone else on staff. 

It’s cool to be associated with Carrington right now. That stuff matters. 

• Like 2

IT

JOSH EATON

While Banks is plenty used to the recruiting scene by now, Aldine MacArthur's Josh Eaton is just getting started. The 6-foot-2, 195-pound corner burst on the scene less than a month ago and was told he'd have a surprise when he arrived on campus last Saturday. 

"I've had great conversations with coach Washington the last few weeks and I felt like something good would happen when I got here," said Eaton. "So (Washington) blessed me with an offer today. It really meant a lot. Texas is a big school and big priority for me. I always watched Texas when I was young."

Eaton has seen offers from OU, TCU, and LSU in the last few weeks. You could say it's been crazy. 

"Man, the last month has really been crazy," Eaton said. "The recruitment process for me has been going up, and I'm getting a lot of blessings. I'm just enjoying it. I give all praise to God and stay humble in the process."

The Houston area product will return to Austin next month for spring practice. No matter how many offers he picks up from now and then, UT will be near the top of the list. 

When Jason Washington finds a cornerback he wants, that's half the battle. 

JASON HARRIS

Texas had some success in Arizona last cycle. It's no wonder they're going back for seconds. 

From Jake Smith and Brayden Liebrock inking on NSD1, to Kelee Ringo and Lathan Ransom offers in 2020, the UT staff continues to scour the desert. When Higley (Gilbert, AZ) four-star Jason Harris arrived with his family to Austin last weekend, it was just another example of the coaches looking literally everywhere for talent. Harris has some. 

"It was a great experience," said Harris. "We got to meet all the coaches, who seem like great people. It really feels like a family environment and I had a great time here. I felt welcome. Meeting coach Giles was cool. He's a cool person and great coach. He's energetic and just fun to be around."

The 6-foot-7, 220-pound defensive end prospect is a known commodity with offers from Alabama, Auburn, OU, Ole Miss, USC, and Utah. But he's also an elite basketball player with offers from Arizona, UCLA, and Arizona State. This is a legitimate two-sport looking kid, who doesn't know what's his path yet. 

"It's tough to choose right now," said Harris, about both sports. You can tell he thinks about it a lot. Something else noteworthy to him were the influx of his state's top talent in Austin. 

"I think it would be cool to play with some of the players where I'm from (Arizona)," Harris said. "The players coming here have a lot of talent. They'll be fun to watch here."

OU, Texas A&M are visits that happen in the future. But for now, Harris is just soaking up the experience. 

QUENTIN JOHNSTON

Like Arizona, UT has frequented Temple high school regularly, netting guys like TaQuon Graham, Davon Curtis, and Jared Wiley over the last few seasons. After watching film of Wiley, who played QB for the Wildcats, you'll see him complete passes to the 6-foot-4, 180-pound receiver who was a walking mismatch for central Texas in 2018. Johnston, who was offered almost a month ago, wanted to see the 40 Acres again, this time as a recruiting target. 

"I got to come back here and get a good feel for the program," said Johnston. "I've been here before with Jared (Wiley), but this time I got to get a feel for it. I had a great time. I got offered at basketball practice but didn't really tell anyone. I've got to start tweeting those." 

For most players who can't wait to post a new offer on social media, Johnston isn't in a hurry. OU, Duke, Baylor, and Kansas have all extended verbally, and there will be more. But for now, UT joined the fray and that's a good thing in Johnston's eyes. 

"For one, being closer to home," Johnston said, about what stands out the most with Texas. "The atmosphere of the big city, then when I walked in here, it almost felt like family. The coaches were cool, the players came over to meet me and show me around, all good stuff."

The method in how Texas got its wide receivers involved in 2018 is starting to have a ripple effect with pass-catching prospects. Collin Johnson, Lil'Jordan Humphrey, and Devin Duvernay put together a salty season last fall culminating in the big Sugar Bowl win over No. 5 Georgia. Kids are noticing. 

"(Texas) coaches were talking about how my frame is what they want in their big receivers," Johnston said. "It would be nice."

Big picture, where does Texas stand currently?

"Top 5. Definitely Top 5."

51 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

EJ try to make it less obvious that Carrington is your only source in Bellmont. Yesh. 

EJ’s not super connected and his main source, when he has one, isn’t BC. 

43 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think Texas and Carrington want this out there. 

Oregon came hard at the dude. Texas stepped up. Like I said the other day, they won’t keep him forever, but it’s nice keeping him now. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:
Spoiler

Summary of EJ's latest periscope:

- He's about to have a business meeting before going to Las Vegas next week. Looking forward to seeing Savell Smalls, Sam Adams II, Kelee Ringo, and other Texas OOS targets in action. He'll be posting updates from Pylon Las Vegas 7v7 on his Twitter.

- 2020 DB board: Kelee Ringo, Fred Davis, Lathan Ransom are at the top of the OOS board. In-state, Texas really likes Joshua Eaton and Ryan Watts. Chris Thompson is still a huge priority. So is Bryson Washington.

- Big update on Zach Evans; Texas is still very high on his list. He'll visit again soon. Likes Alabama and Clemson as well. Right now Texas is still in very good shape. Said he likes our O-line class. Chad Lindberg joined the periscope and asked for more info on Evans, EJ told him to subscribe to Horns247.

- EJ covers whoever Texas recruits, not limited to Dallas-area.

- UT's next commit might be Alred Collins, Joshua Eaton, Ryan Watts, or Kelvontay Dixon. Good spot for Chad as well, but he'll decide later. Stanford visit looms large.

- Chances of landing Bryce Young are unknown. One of EJ's favourites in the class, he hopes UT will pursue him.

- Too early to predict where the class predicts. Texas can finish in the top 3 again if everything falls right.

- McCoy leaving USC has some impact with guys like Justin Flowe (same 7v7 team). Helps with Kendall Milton/Johnny Wilson as well.

- RJ Proctor; Texas wants to see how things go with Parker Braun/Jonah Jackson first before pursuing him hard.

- Texas still in a good spot with Vernon Broughton, Oklahoma and A&M are in the mix as well.

- Don't know anything about the Booker kid from Westfield. Donesn't know if Zach will enroll early.

- There are some off-field questions with Lorando Johnson, but he's a tremendous talent. Would take a risk on him. McGlothern's recruitment is a whirlwind, Mickens is more of a safety as is Jaylon Jones. Not many true CBs in Texas, UT likes both Eaton and Watts.

- Justin Flowe also joined the periscope, EJ said he hopes to see him in Vegas.

- Some random FB guy from Ohio State is apparently flaming EJ now.

- Johnny WIlson has legitimate interest in Texas and should visit soon. Will also make an OV. Mehringer doing a great job recruiting him. Similar to Collin Johnson.

- Won't be at the UA Dallas camp, but will be at the Dallas opening.

- Down year in-state at LB. Scott was offered but they need to find OOS guys. Flowe obviously at the top of the board. They had White on campus, may eventually pick up an offer. But Flowe and Smalls are the two main priorities.

- Lindberg will commit before his senior season, no exact timeline. No timeline for Flowe either. Floys and McCoy are helping out in the latter's recruitment but he must make it to campus.

- Something about BBQ in Dallas, tuned it out.

- Smalls got off to a good start with Orlando and Carrington, good relationships. Still think he'll make a visit. He's a pure pass-rusher, same mold as Joseph Ossai but bigger. Would do very well in the Big 12.

- Thinks Texas will get a couple of five-stars, same as in 2019 and 2018. WIlson, Evans, Ringo all realistic options. Still thinks Demas is in play but a flip chance is low. Talked to him over the weekend.

- Good WR named Collin Sullivan from Round Rock. Great in 7v7, runs good routes with strong hands. Mid-to-high 3-star guy, Texas has shown a bit of interest.

- Apparently EJ disagrees with his wife re: hairstyle choices.

- Elias Ricks will be in Vegas this weekend, Texas will keep working on him despite the LSU commitment.

- Would have Broughton as a top 5 player in the state, alongside Evans, JaQuinden Jackson, Demas, and Chris Thompson.

- Something about breakfast at Norma's? IDK.

- Loves Tyler Owens, thinks he was the steal of the class. Special talent, athletic freak, etc. etc.

- Dorbah and Broughton don't really know each other, no way to know if they want to play together.

- Texas didn't offer Branard Wright because they like longer D-linemen. Not a scheme fit. Same reasoning with Bryant, who chose LSU after blOU backed off a bit.

- Chances of getting Damien George depend on Zach Evans. Strong chance they end up playing together. Damien really likes Texas, as does Zach.

- 70% chance Texas gets both Chad Lindberg and Damien George.

- Preston George really liked his Texas visit, he's one of the best 2021 prospect overall.

- 50/50 with Troy Omeire between Texas and A&M. Lot hinges on his March 9th visit here.

- JaQuinden Jackson will wait until the UA AA game to commit. Won't commit early. Not sure when he'll get back to Texas. But he wants to do it soon, maybe this month.

- Doesn't know much about the 2021 class, too early. Loves Preston Stone, Tunmise Adeleye, Jake Garcia (CA QB). Demetrius Davis is a very good player, but Stone is special. Closest thing to Johnny Manziel in a while. Offer list is amazing as well. Preston hasn't talked about A&M at all. Not worried about the level of competition he plays.

- O-line class is off to a great start. Couple more will jump on board.

- blOU is the favourite for Jahari Rodgers. Medium/high chances for Kelee Ringo. 2021 O-line class, Texas is in the mix for Donovan Jackson/Fatheree/Hayden/whatever.

- Tried to give Taylor Hamm a hug this weekend. It didn't work out.

- Will Bru McCoy start this season? Has the potential to do so if he's cleared. Texas had McGlothern on campus this weekend so they still push for him.

tenor.gif?itemid=11216021

• Like 2