Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah man, i dont think so. I mean, the Bru shit sure because it is completely unprecedented. As was his coming here in the first place. And he played in our spring game, so im not sure his situation qualifies as recruiting anymore. 

As for the other two, im pretty sure a dozen or so regular posters here would have nodded their heads and said “yeah, i can see that” in regards to evans and ringo. You’re basically proving machinator’s point if you’re going to get this twisted over some elite recruitments that you’re hearing SMU footsteps.  

That's fair honestly. All I'm saying is that weirder shit has happened. 

Just now, Luka Skywalker said:

This is purely an assumption on my part but it sounds like Georgia is negatively recruiting against us. How in the hell did we push their shit in and they have successfully brainwashed these guys? I mean what has Georgia done that we haven’t. 

They're in a conference with Bama, so that help$ 

Just now, Luka Skywalker said:

This is purely an assumption on my part but it sounds like Georgia is negatively recruiting against us. How in the hell did we push their shit in and they have successfully brainwashed these guys? I mean what has Georgia done that we haven’t. 

Paid out the ass?  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't know how much it matters to Texas recruiting ultimately, but the North Shore vs. Duncanville dynamic is interesting to hear about.

Jackson + Thompson + Byrd > Evans + George + Banks.

Blackshire is a wild card atm and D. Davis isn't a factor for us.

Dr Dre. Ice Cube. 2Pac. Snoop. Eminem. Geto Boys >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Migos. Drake. Travis Scott, et al. 

It's just fact. So, without following up or researching further I'm gonna say that's what Broughton means.  (*and not that Kanye is old school) 

2 hours ago, Fud said:

I've always viewed RB1 as a great RB prospect, and a an RB2 as a lesser prospect; not necessarily workhorse vs APB. For instance, I thought Glass was an RB2

Yeah, I’m not sure where people got this whole scar back idea for a RB2, but when people use those terms in draft evals and recruiting, they’re just talking about who’s better/tiers at a position.

1 hour ago, Luka Skywalker said:

Large bags of cash are very influential.

1 hour ago, horns_10 said:

All I'm saying is you would have been laughed off of this site if you said 3 months ago that we'd be out of Evans' top 5, Bru would go back to USC, and Ringo would be Georgia-bound. Recruiting is weird shit my man. Or did you forget when we missed out on Ed Oliver? 

Aggy or land thief?  Or is that you Kendal Briles?  

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I don't know how much it matters to Texas recruiting ultimately, but the North Shore vs. Duncanville dynamic is interesting to hear about.

Roach goes into it in more detail. It's interesting to think about.

Why don't the Duncanville kids want to play with the North Shore kids and vice versa.

I don't know that it's necessarily the case, but that game left a lot of bad feelings between both sides.

I don’t doubt it. Duncanville should have won that game if not for a fluke ending. Can you elaborate on the bad feelings?

Those schools are mirror images of each other in the two biggest cities in the state. There was a lot of talk before. I think Duncanville felt disrespected by everyone telling them North Shore would run them over, and afterwards there was a lot of back and forth between the two teams. Being down on the field afterwards was weird. It was just a charged atmosphere and no one could believe what they saw.

Thanks for the info, and you’re absolutely right about the mirror images. How anyone in their right mind would think North Shore would run over a team with the horses that Duncanville has is beyond me. Those teams play ten games and it’s likely 5-5.

I think there's a natural Dallas/Houston rivalry, and that game couldn't have been any more Dallas vs. Houston. I still think it's the best game I've ever seen live at any level of football.

Edited by satyanash

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

What is up with these Okies who don't want to play for OU or OSU? 

OU gets whoever they want on offense. These guys are good but they're probably not top-100 elite prospects of the caliber that OU can recruit nationally.

As for OSU, I guess it just depends. We beat them head-to-head for Houston last cycle, then when Texas and him parted ways they didn't seem to be interested.

As for this Hester guy, I remember reading that he wanted to be in a package deal with two other players; one is committed to Oregon and the other appears to be an Arkansas lean.

4 hours ago, golfclap said:

Dr Dre. Ice Cube. 2Pac. Snoop. Eminem. Geto Boys >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Migos. Drake. Travis Scott, et al. 

It's just fact. So, without following up or researching further I'm gonna say that's what Broughton means.  (*and not that Kanye is old school) 

He really likes “Rapture” by Blondie. It was a bit hit back in the day.

11 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

2014 Ohio State CFP

Who has been winning titles lately should drive home CTJs point.

CTJ's analysis is dead on and I think Herman will sway some willing minds to see what it takes if you want to be elite.  TH was under Urban Meyer '11-'14 when tOSU was stacking elite recruits, he's seen the blue print first hand.

Edited by UcancallmeSurly

Regarding Hester and Johnston and the gurus thinking on them - if the staff really thought Johnston is the stud that the rest of us think he is, maybe they would have taken his commitment when he wanted to give it. 

But nope, Drew Meh wants to see his hands improve, apparently, while pining for a flaky dude in Houston who runs a 40 that can be timed with a sun dial. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding Hester and Johnston and the gurus thinking on them - if the staff really thought Johnston is the stud that the rest of us think he is, maybe they would have taken his commitment when he wanted to give it. 

But nope, Drew Meh wants to see his hands improve, apparently, while pining for a flaky dude in Houston who runs a 40 that can be timed with a sun dial. 

JFC Johnston is a stud. It’s obvious as can be. He could be in the running for a 5 star if he played the recruiting game and went to camps.

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I guess, until we start competing in the pay-for-play model, we're gonna have to go the Bill Snyder rout.  JC, 3/4*s and corch 'um up.  JFC

"Coach 'em up" very quickly became my least favourite phrase of the Charlie era.

that and "no sunshine."

If Bru transfers, I'd probably expand the WR class to four spots. Bru was a guy who could potentially play X, H, or Z, which makes me think the 4th WR would be a similarly flexible target; recent offer Rome Odunze and JJ Hester fit that mold, imo. I think it makes sense that the class would most likely be 1 H, 1 X, 1 Z, and 1 HXZ. I didn't see X as a major need before the Bru transfer news with Epps, Eagles, Washington, and Bru all able to play there, and while the depth chart gets slightly thinner there if Bru leaves, it's still not a dire need, but it's always good to stack the depth chart with talent. Omeire is a possession guy without much upside, and I'd probably prefer to take someone more explosive like Fouonji or Hester to fill his spot. 

I think Dixon could be an H, Z, or even a RB, but I'm not sure where to put him yet; Nahlin thinks he'd be a Z for us, while most see an H. He has some plays out of the backfield where he looks good, and could potentially be an emergency RB if the injury bug hit; I think his roster flexibility has value. I'd like to see some senior hudl for him, because after suffering a major lower body injury his sophomore year, it's possible he wasn't all the way back last year, and he looked really good last year. He could potentially be a guy who plays H/Z early, and could be an X if his route running develops, although that could be side about most Zs. For now, I'll put him at H.

Here's the how I see the WR target fits:

H targets- Achane, Mookie, Dixon
X targets- Wilson, Omeire
Z targets- Johnston, Fouonji
HXZ targets- Demas, Hester, Odunze

Something like Wilson, Achane, Johnston, and Hester would be outstanding, but even Johnston, Hester, and Dixon would be a solid class that checks boxes. 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

If Bru transfers, I'd probably expand the WR class to four spots. Bru was a guy who could potentially play X, H, or Z, which makes me think the 4th WR would be a similarly flexible target; recent offer Rome Odunze and JJ Hester fit that mold, imo. I think it makes sense that the class would most likely be 1 H, 1 X, 1 Z, and 1 HXZ. I didn't see X as a major need before the Bru transfer news with Epps, Eagles, Washington, and Bru all able to play there, and while the depth chart gets slightly thinner there if Bru leaves, it's still not a dire need, but it's always good to stack the depth chart with talent. Omeire is a possession guy without much upside, and I'd probably prefer to take someone more explosive like Fouonji or Hester to fill his spot. 

I think Dixon could be an H, Z, or even a RB, but I'm not sure where to put him yet; Nahlin thinks he'd be a Z for us, while most see an H. He has some plays out of the backfield where he looks good, and could potentially be an emergency RB if the injury bug hit; I think his roster flexibility has value. I'd like to see some senior hudl for him, because after suffering a major lower body injury his sophomore year, it's possible he wasn't all the way back last year, and he looked really good last year. He could potentially be a guy who plays H/Z early, and could be an X if his route running develops, although that could be side about most Zs. For now, I'll put him at H.

Here's the how I see the WR target fits:

H targets- Achane, Mookie, Dixon
X targets- Wilson, Omeire
Z targets- Johnston, Fouonji
HXZ targets- Demas, Hester, Odunze

Something like Wilson, Achane, Johnston, and Hester would be outstanding, but even Johnston, Hester, and Dixon would be a solid class that checks boxes. 

You reminded me of something else. Dixon ran a 10.8 this spring, I believe. He’s physically back. He’s from east Texas and tough as fucking nails. He has wanted to commit for a fucking year. They’re arrogantly slow-playing him and leaving the door open for Traylor and others. Just take the fucking little brother of your starting tailback. He can play three different positions and the two he can play on offense offer up the kind of flexibility that Herman craves. This one is dumb to me. Dumber than fucking with Johnston and ball gargling Omeire, really. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

JFC Johnston is a stud. It’s obvious as can be. He could be in the running for a 5 star if he played the recruiting game and went to camps.

To be fair, most of us don't have access to full games and practice tapes of these kids, or the ability to talk to their coaches and others who attend practices, which is really the only way to assess how good a receivers hands are. The coaches do have this access, and if a kid has bad hands or doesn't track the ball, he needs to be downgraded. Should a WR with rare physical abilities potentially get somewhat of a pass on poor hands? I think that's potentially fair, although the region is always so loaded at WR that it shouldn't be difficult to find stud WRs without any warts.