Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

22 minutes ago, Houston20 said:

I think once the season starts and we start winning some games we’ll be fine

Winning always helps the next recruiting cycle more than the current one, that's the established paradigm.

Our wins in 2018 are helping this class... but apparently not as much as we expected.

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Depth Chart probably hurts Texas as it relates to Rogers.  Will be interesting to watch the progression of this 2020 Recruiting Class over the summer and this fall.

Does it? CB isn't a big need position but it's not a glut either.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Winning always helps the next recruiting cycle more than the current one, that's the established paradigm.

Our wins in 2018 are helping this class... but apparently not as much as we expected.

It’s because we barely beat Georgia 

Justin Wells on Wiltfong's pick for Rogers to Florida:

The intel they’re getting is a little suspect. And it’s not from Jahari. 

I’m not saying he couldn’t end up at UF, I’m saying sources close to Texas still feel confident and until I speak with him tomorrow, I’m staying with that.

Edited by satyanash

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Even more so since the implementation of the early signing period. Seems the April-June window has big implications on how a class takes shape.. 

Edited by BigBenBamboozle

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

It seems we have more momentum with 2021 recruits right now.

I think it seems that way because our sources are getting filtered information about recruiting. If the trend continues, we are just as likely to struggle with a lot of the names that appear to be locks in the 2021 class as well. 

It did not concern me before why these supposed locks had not committed yet. I blamed it on timing, some desire to get their day in the sun or whatever. I think guys are not publically committed to Texas now because they are not ready to commit because they are not fully sold. 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Probably said it about the 2018 and 2019 recruits as well. How did those classes end up?

In 2019, Texas did struggle in state with their top targets. Guys we thought would be locks. We did a great job of going out of state on guys we were working on early in the process. 

2020 is turning out to be like 2019 on crack. Do we have a bunch of blue chip out of state players up our sleeves this time? 

6 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

Isn’t that what we said about 2020 recruits last year?

Hard to tell, a fair number of recruits we had "momentum" with or were actively recruiting are guys like McGlothern, Snow, or Hornsby who are now off our board.

I think the JQJ + Davis commitments supercharged our 2021 buzz but not sure how long that will last.

Just now, Newy25 said:

In 2019, Texas did struggle in state with their top targets. Guys we thought would be locks. We did a great job of going out of state on guys we were working on early in the process. 

2020 is turning out to be like 2019 on crack. Do we have a bunch of blue chip out of state players up our sleeves this time? 

I'm not sure 2020, but I feel really good about three 2021 5*s in Brockermeyer, Byrd, and Stone, and also about the top 100 type we already have committed 

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm not sure 2020, but I feel really good about three 2021 5*s in Brockermeyer, Byrd, and Stone, and also about the top 100 type we already have committed 

I don't think we'll end up with Stone. I'd love to have him, but the staff seems to want Milroe and he's a more natural fit for the offense. I'd like to be wrong though, Stone seems like a guy with first round potential. 

Edited by trythisathome

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This is looking like a transition class.

WTF. Our actual commits look outstanding and this before we add blue chip talent in July. That before we start running a train on folks during the season. You can bitch about blue chip DL, LB and our Tier 2 recruiters but complaining about our class at this point is silly. This class looks to trend stronger and our transition class had Sam, Cosmi, Gary J., Ta'Quon & Kerstetter...

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Rogers info.

Stampini: 
He spoke very highly of UF. Noted Torrian Gray's CB development, and later added player development is a key factor in his decision. Seemed to give pretty vanilla answers when asked about Texas.

I decided to go on a limb by myself and pick UF for Rogers. 

Wiltfong's comments: 
Luke's information on this recruitment puts me over the top and I'll join him on the Crystal Ball forecast.

Been hearing for weeks UF was in a good spot for Rogers, obviously he took his official visit to Austin in late June and I thought the Longhorns had ground to make up going into that visit per a source close to Rogers.

Sounds like UF is still the one to beat. 

That is some pretty weak information for them to base their pick on.

40 minutes ago, Fud said:

Didn’t the actual elite 11 rankings have him #2 so far?

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

That is some pretty weak information for them to base their pick on.

Didn’t the actual elite 11 rankings have him #2 so far?

247 is trying to disprove they are complicit in BOMC. exppect some hate from them for awhile to placate aggy and OUsux 

2 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

247 is trying to disprove they are complicit in BOMC. exppect some hate from them for awhile to placate aggy and OUsux 

Yes I’m sure that’s it.

Now that we’ve figured that one out, will you get cracking on how NASA faked the moon landings?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Ah, that explains all the recent CBs that didn't go our way. Now I can go back to convincing myself that we're gonna get Bijan, Ringo, and Ransom. 

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Because it’s yell out your safe word time of it happens. 

I have to say, this fucking killed it for me. I just laughed for 5 minutes. Now, I’m on my third homemade Manhattan and have had enough of the fucking negative momentum, so I probably needed a laugh, but this was a good one. 

Also, I will shit a golden quasimoto and light the Notre Dame cathedral on fire if Jahari Rogers picks Florida over Texas. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have to say, this fucking killed it for me. I just laughed for 5 minutes. Now, I’m on my third homemade Manhattan and have had enough of the fucking negative momentum, so I probably needed a laugh, but this was a good one. 

Also, I will shit a golden quasimoto and light the Notre Dame cathedral on fire if Jahari Rogers picks Florida over Texas. 

And for me, I will yet out “Amsterdam”if that happens. 

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

a1.jpg 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Pretty sure someone beat you to half of that bet. Unless you just want to burn down some scaffolding.