Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Joe Cook had Omeire at a 4.85, fwiw

Even with a quick trigger finger that wasn't a 4.85 ...    unless they didn't start until he reached full speed. 10 meters in. 

247 national analyst Powers mentioned how he thinks he might end up at TE

That's a nice way of saying he's way too fucking slow to play WR. He's 217 fucking pounds. If you added 23 pounds to him, he'd still be an undersized TE but he'd counter being undersized with undersped.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

247Sports' Charles Power thinks Johnny Wilson will be a TE at the next level O_o

I think Charles Power might be a fucking idiot. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

SIAP

The Stampede: Intel on Texas targets from The Opening Finals

Hide contents

I want to start off this week’s edition The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly recruiting insider notes packages, with where things stand between Texas and Calabasas (Calif.) five-star wide receiver Johnny Wilson. I spoke with Wilson on Sunday at check-in for The Opening Finals at The Star in Frisco, and it sounds like Texas made quite an impression on him. In speaking with sources around Wilson, it sounds like Texas is close to even with Oregon for his services. The Longhorns entered the summer needing to gain ground, and they have at this point. A good reason for that is De'Gabriel Floyd. The two are friends, and Wilson spent extended time with Floyd in Austin after the visit. I heard previously that Wilson’s family was looking to leave California, and they were interested in moving wherever Johnny chose to go to school. Wilson confirmed that news during our interview. Wilson will take an unofficial visit to Oregon in July when the dead period lifts, and he will also take officials during the season. I’m still not ready to put in a Crystal Ball pick for Texas, but I come out of the weekend thinking that Wilson to the Longhorns isn’t an unreasonable scenario.

— Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic running back Bijan Robinson isn’t in Frisco for The Opening Finals, but I did have the chance to speak to a few sources regarding the five-star prospect. There was some buzz last week that Ohio State was the favorite to land him and the Buckeyes were in a commanding position. From what I gathered, Ohio State may have a slight edge for Robinson, but I was told that it was very close. Texas is right in the mix, and I’ve heard that Robinson could potentially delay a decision.

— Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic safety Lathan Ransom is coming off of an official visit to Ohio State. Despite the vibe that the Buckeyes are now the heavy favorite, I’m told that no silent commitment has been made. With that said, I don’t have any reason to believe Texas is in the lead position for the four-star safety. The Longhorns generated some momentum with him during June, but it sounds like the Buckeyes are probably in the best position to land him.

— C.E. King safety Bryson Washington isn’t in attendance at The Opening, but I was able to speak with some sources regarding his recruitment. Right now, there’s a considerable amount of confidence coming from both Texas and Oklahoma. I’ve heard things this weekend which make me think that Washington is trying to keep his decision a mystery. This has always been a Texas vs. Oklahoma battle, and I can tell you that sources on both sides are baffled by their opponent’s confidence.

— Duncanville four-star safety Chris Thompson Jr. is looking at making a decision within the next month. He’s still sorting through his favorites, but it sounds like Texas is still at the top along with Ohio State and Auburn. Thompson seems in no rush to make that decision, but he did say that Texas four-star commit and his Duncanville teammate Ja’Quinden Jackson is in his ear every day.

— I spoke on the record with Aledo running back Jase McClellan, and the Oklahoma commit is saying all of the right things I also spoke with a few sources near McClellan, and I’m told that he’s seriously evaluating all options. I was told that Alabama and Texas are the only schools that would be able to pull him away from his commitment to the Sooners. There’s a long way to go in this one, but Texas appears to be a team in position to benefit if McClellan chooses to open his recruitment.

— There’s obviously been a lot of scuttlebutt regarding Florida and four-star cornerback Jahari Rogers. As I’ve said from the beginning, Florida has always been a legitimate threat for Rogers, and they’ve pushed Texas very hard. Coming out of his official visit, I was told that it was close but Texas seemed to have the lead. After checking on the Florida buzz, I haven’t heard much that convinces me otherwise. Rogers is looking to take some time with the process and make a decision before the season. We’ll keep looking into this in case anything changes.

— St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic athlete Mookie Cooper said he intends to take his official visits this fall. He also said it was nothing about Texas that made him decommit, he just wanted to be sure he was making the right decision. Right now, the buzz appears to be on Ohio State to land the speedy receiver. At times, Cooper’s recruitment has been all over the map. After Texas there were predictions he’d land at Illinois, Miami, or even USC. Still, I think Texas has ground to make up, but I don’t think it’s impossible. Cooper would like to take his official visit during the LSU game, so Texas could possibly win him back with a great win and killer visit.

— Alabama is starting to trend for four-star Alvin Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford. I checked around, and it sounds like that report has some legs. With that said, Alford has been undecided and different schools became hot names for him during the spring. Alford said he wants to take his official visit to Texas for the LSU game, and he still holds the Longhorns in high regard.

— Upland (Calif.) linebacker Justin Flowe didn’t make it in to Frisco for check-in, but I spoke with a few sources about him as well. Flowe talked multiple times about visiting Texas, but the sources I spoke with said it was an extreme longshot for the Longhorns to land the five-star linebacker.

— I spoke briefly with Las Vegas (Nev.) Desert Pines athlete Darnell Washington during check-in. It doesn’t sound like much is going on between Texas and Washington. The Longhorns checked on him during the spring, but Washington said he hasn’t had much contact. For now, I wouldn’t consider him a target.

— Galena Park North Shore running back Zachary Evans and Houston Cy Ridge defensive lineman Vernon Broughton did not make it in for check-in. I’m told by staff at The Opening that Broughton will likely come in today before testing. We were unable to catch up with either prospect, and we’ll speak with them if they arrive.

A great win v LSU sure but can’t bring myself to giving a shit if Mookie has a “killer visit.” Does that reek of bitchassedness?

13 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

On the 247 Opening thread it doesn't sound like Umanmielen is doing to good lining up as a DE going against OT's.  Went 0-3 against some guy named Dumervil.

Dumervil really struggled at rivals last week

It seems that the offensive and defensive linemen who went to rivals last week are more prepared than those who didn’t 

18 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Umanmielen doing Aggy DE things. It was likely Marcus Dumervil (probably LSU), he's another St. Thomas Aquinas kid. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Marcus-Dumervil-45572748/

I remember seeing Dumervile  in those Rivals five star challenge clips.  Bresee made easy work out of him, but that kid is a monster.

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Oklahoma commit Jase McClellan discusses Texas visit, interest

Hide contents

? McClellan is cousins with former Longhorn Johnathan Gray, and he said the program is appealing to him. “It’s just the program,” he said. “They said they’re coming back up, so I just wanted to see that.” McClellan plans to return to Texas during the fall to take in a game. He said he hasn’t planned any other visits at this time. At 5-foot-10, 201 pounds, McClellan is ranked as the No. 5 running back in the nation and No. 3 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

I forgot he was related to JGray. Damn how did we fuck that up? I mean aside from gray being all world and we sucked large cock during his time essentially ending his reign as all world. But damn unless gray hates us how we lose him to fucking meth heads 

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I forgot he was related to JGray. Damn how did we fuck that up? I mean aside from gray being all world and we sucked large cock during his time essentially ending his reign as all world. But damn unless gray hates us how we lose him to fucking meth heads 

Kids like to win. Consistently winning big is the easiest thing to sell. 

37 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Guess we can update Giles board of work 

Chassion 

Leal 

Broughton 

See you guys next year!

Where does “top DL target” land on our list of DOOMED phrases. I’m guessing somewhere above caring about academics but below dream school and admiring Drayton’s coaching resume.

29 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Where does “top DL target” land on our list of DOOMED phrases. I’m guessing somewhere above caring about academics but below dream school and admiring Drayton’s coaching resume.

That's about right. I swear if we miss on Collins I'll be furious. We need to get two stud recruiters to replace Warehime and Drayton so we don't shoot our own dick next year with the greatest DL class in a long time.

20 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

That's about right. I swear if we miss on Collins I'll be furious. We need to get two stud recruiters to replace Warehime and Drayton so we don't shoot our own dick next year with the greatest DL class in a long time.

So Collins is DL....

And your solution to fix the DL recruiting issues is to replace the tight-end (Warehime) and RB (Drayton) coaches??

Might need to consider Giles??

• Like 1

Just now, LTtxfan said:

So Collins is DL....

And your solution to fix the DL recruiting issues is to replace the tight-end (Warehime) and RB (Drayton) coaches??

Well we need to can an offensive coach to rebalance the staff, so that'd be a good start. 

Giles can go too, though - but he has had an conference PotY for three years straight (even if a potted plant could have done that with Oliver)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Then claimed he was competing with a hurt knee.

I read that - and I guess it could be true, but it could also be excuse making - he is aggy now, after all. I have no idea.

I can say for sure that I'd much rather have Quentin Johnston than Omeire. I just hope the staff can reel him in. 

Edited by campcrunk

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

So Collins is DL....

Because position coaches don't only recruit their position? Brewster was good for multiple guys across multiple positions. Giles has seemed to be a decent developmental coach. It doesn't even take two brain cells to coach RBs so they gave to be rainmakers. And Warehime should be fired, Meekins moved back and we should pick up an LB coach to be another rainmaker to make up for Orlando not being a good recruiter and to help Giles to pick up slack as needed maybe. Giles has back to back DLoTY in his two years here after leaving Houston. The DL fucked Georgia up and their OL was supposed to fearsome as was their two headed running attack. What did those RBs do again?

Edited by TheFlyingBoat