Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Mike Roach: Thoughts on Texas targets from Day 1 of The Opening Finals

—Hudson Card continued to have a strong week at The Opening. With the receivers taking the field for the first time today, Card finally had some quality targets to throw to. Card threw it 55 yards in the long throw competition which placed him in the bottom half of guys competing, but his game has never been about the ability to go deep. Card’s excelling with his accuracy, timing, and fluidity in the pocket.

—Texas commit Jake Majors had a bit of a rough day in one-on-ones. Majors simply lacks the strength to play against the bigger defensive linemen in attendance, and he was playing at center today. Majors doesn’t have much experience at the position, and he had a hard time handling the strength of interior rushers at the event. Majors’ strengths are his ability to move and his technique, and he should be able to add strength once he gets to the college level.

—Logan Parr was better than Majors during the day, but he still had some struggles at times. Parr also will need to add strength at the next level, but he did a good job utilizing his quickness to stay in front of defenders. This event won’t favor Parr or Majors, but I thought Parr did a good job holding his own.

—My first viewing of five-star Calabasas (Calif.) wide receiver Johnny Wilson met expectations. For a 6-foot-6 prospect with ridiculous length, Wilson moves smoothly and he gets in and out of his breaks very well. He’s able to get compact when he needs to, and he stretches when he wants to expand his catch radius. I think he compares well to Collin Johnson when he came out of high school.

—I didn’t get to see a ton of Mookie Cooper today, but I was told that he had a strong day by others who watched. When I did see Cooper, he showed off great quickness and the ability to explode in and out of routes. He’s still raw as a route runner, but his quickness and explosive ability really jumps out.

—Four-star Arlington cornerback Jahari Rogers stood out among a struggling defensive back group today. Rogers is a corner with size and athleticism who did a good job staying in front of the talented receivers on-hand. Rogers also spent some time at safety during the event, and

—Manor DL Princely Umanmielen played mostly at defensive end today, and he got a few victories in one-on-ones. He showed generally good athleticism and some quickness, but he struggled to be quicker or faster than the tackles lined up on him. I’d like to see him take a few reps from the interior to see how he performs there.

—Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic safety Lathan Ransom showed some good athleticism and skill today, but he took some losses in the one-on-one portion. Ransom and the other safeties at the event will likely thrive more in the 7v7 settings tomorrow.

—Duncanville safety Chris Thompson was a late addition to The Opening finals, and he had his ups and downs during one-on-ones. One 247 staffer I spoke to questioned his athleticism in coverage. Like Ransom, Thompson would likely benefit from playing in 7v7 where he can be more of a force in the middle of the field.

—Aledo RB Jase McClellan didn’t seem to stand out during the day. He doesn’t thrive much in these settings, and I was told he didn’t establish a presence during the limited running back drills. McClellan should make more of an impact in 7v7, but he’s a Friday night player.

—Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford is hindered by a nagging hamstring, but he still tried to compete. I’m told that Alford didn’t stand out good or bad against the competition today. He is another player who will thrive in 7v7 where he can use his field vision and intelligence to make plays in the middle of the field.

Mike Roach: Hudson Card living out childhood dream at Elite 11

Hudson Card acclimated quickly to the Elite 11 quarterback competition. The four-star Texas commit from Lake Travis came out of the weekend camp ranked number two among quarterbacks in attendance. Card wanted to compete in this competition since he learned about it, but he’s not putting too much pressure on himself. “It feels great,” he said. “It’s been a dream of mine since I was little. To come out here and have fun and compete with the other guys, it’s fun to get out here and play with them.”

Card is taking advantage of the quarterback coaching available to him during the weekend. He’s learning more about body mechanics, and he’s trying to integrate those lessons into his game. “I’ve learned a lot,” he said. “All the meetings and learning from the coaches about how your body works is pretty cool. Even this pro day thing we did, I’ve never done anything like that.”

Card is on the same team with Texas target Johnny Wilson. Card hasn’t spoken with the five-star wide receiver from Calabasas (Calif.), but he’s definitely going to be doing some recruiting during the week. “Oh definitely,” he said. “I always try to. I’m going to try to get him our way for sure. I haven’t ever spoken with him, so it’s a good way to start, he’ll be on my team and we can ball out together.” So what is his pitch to Wilson and all other prospects he’s recruiting? Card said that the advantages at Texas are evident. “We’re headed in the right direction,” Card said. “We’re getting better every year. Austin is one of the best cities to live in. It’s a great education, so you’re set after football.”

Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger was one of the college counselors working the camp. Card spent a lot of time with his future teammate, and he said that the experience was enjoyable and educational. “I did, it was awesome,” he said. “We threw it around together and he gave me some tips and stuff. Sam is a great dude and a great player. It was fun.” At 6-foot-2.5, 179 pounds, Card is ranked as the No. 2 dual-threat quarterback in the nation and No. 9 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

55 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Thoughts on Texas targets from Day 1 of The Opening Finals

Hide contents

—Hudson Card continued to have a strong week at The Opening. With the receivers taking the field for the first time today, Card finally had some quality targets to throw to. Card threw it 55 yards in the long throw competition which placed him in the bottom half of guys competing, but his game has never been about the ability to go deep. Card’s excelling with his accuracy, timing, and fluidity in the pocket.

—Texas commit Jake Majors had a bit of a rough day in one-on-ones. Majors simply lacks the strength to play against the bigger defensive linemen in attendance, and he was playing at center today. Majors doesn’t have much experience at the position, and he had a hard time handling the strength of interior rushers at the event. Majors’ strengths are his ability to move and his technique, and he should be able to add strength once he gets to the college level.

—Logan Parr was better than Majors during the day, but he still had some struggles at times. Parr also will need to add strength at the next level, but he did a good job utilizing his quickness to stay in front of defenders. This event won’t favor Parr or Majors, but I thought Parr did a good job holding his own.

—My first viewing of five-star Calabasas (Calif.) wide receiver Johnny Wilson met expectations. For a 6-foot-6 prospect with ridiculous length, Wilson moves smoothly and he gets in and out of his breaks very well. He’s able to get compact when he needs to, and he stretches when he wants to expand his catch radius. I think he compares well to Collin Johnson when he came out of high school.

—I didn’t get to see a ton of Mookie Cooper today, but I was told that he had a strong day by others who watched. When I did see Cooper, he showed off great quickness and the ability to explode in and out of routes. He’s still raw as a route runner, but his quickness and explosive ability really jumps out.

—Four-star Arlington cornerback Jahari Rogers stood out among a struggling defensive back group today. Rogers is a corner with size and athleticism who did a good job staying in front of the talented receivers on-hand. Rogers also spent some time at safety during the event, and

—Manor DL Princely Umanmielen played mostly at defensive end today, and he got a few victories in one-on-ones. He showed generally good athleticism and some quickness, but he struggled to be quicker or faster than the tackles lined up on him. I’d like to see him take a few reps from the interior to see how he performs there.

—Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic safety Lathan Ransom showed some good athleticism and skill today, but he took some losses in the one-on-one portion. Ransom and the other safeties at the event will likely thrive more in the 7v7 settings tomorrow.

—Duncanville safety Chris Thompson was a late addition to The Opening finals, and he had his ups and downs during one-on-ones. One 247 staffer I spoke to questioned his athleticism in coverage. Like Ransom, Thompson would likely benefit from playing in 7v7 where he can be more of a force in the middle of the field.

—Aledo RB Jase McClellan didn’t seem to stand out during the day. He doesn’t thrive much in these settings, and I was told he didn’t establish a presence during the limited running back drills. McClellan should make more of an impact in 7v7, but he’s a Friday night player.

—Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford is hindered by a nagging hamstring, but he still tried to compete. I’m told that Alford didn’t stand out good or bad against the competition today. He is another player who will thrive in 7v7 where he can use his field vision and intelligence to make plays in the middle of the field.

Everyone sucks

51 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Hudson Card living out childhood dream at Elite 11

Hide contents

Hudson Card acclimated quickly to the Elite 11 quarterback competition. The four-star Texas commit from Lake Travis came out of the weekend camp ranked number two among quarterbacks in attendance. Card wanted to compete in this competition since he learned about it, but he’s not putting too much pressure on himself. “It feels great,” he said. “It’s been a dream of mine since I was little. To come out here and have fun and compete with the other guys, it’s fun to get out here and play with them.”

Card is taking advantage of the quarterback coaching available to him during the weekend. He’s learning more about body mechanics, and he’s trying to integrate those lessons into his game. “I’ve learned a lot,” he said. “All the meetings and learning from the coaches about how your body works is pretty cool. Even this pro day thing we did, I’ve never done anything like that.”

Card is on the same team with Texas target Johnny Wilson. Card hasn’t spoken with the five-star wide receiver from Calabasas (Calif.), but he’s definitely going to be doing some recruiting during the week. “Oh definitely,” he said. “I always try to. I’m going to try to get him our way for sure. I haven’t ever spoken with him, so it’s a good way to start, he’ll be on my team and we can ball out together.” So what is his pitch to Wilson and all other prospects he’s recruiting? Card said that the advantages at Texas are evident. “We’re headed in the right direction,” Card said. “We’re getting better every year. Austin is one of the best cities to live in. It’s a great education, so you’re set after football.”

Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger was one of the college counselors working the camp. Card spent a lot of time with his future teammate, and he said that the experience was enjoyable and educational. “I did, it was awesome,” he said. “We threw it around together and he gave me some tips and stuff. Sam is a great dude and a great player. It was fun.” At 6-foot-2.5, 179 pounds, Card is ranked as the No. 2 dual-threat quarterback in the nation and No. 9 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Because position coaches don't only recruit their position? Brewster was good for multiple guys across multiple positions. Giles has seemed to be a decent developmental coach. It doesn't even take two brain cells to coach RBs so they gave to be rainmakers. And Warehime should be fired, Meekins moved back and we should pick up an LB coach to be another rainmaker to make up for Orlando not being a good recruiter and to help Giles to pick up slack as needed maybe. Giles has back to back DLoTY in his two years here after leaving Houston. The DL fucked Georgia up and their OL was supposed to fearsome as was their two headed running attack. What did those RBs do again?

When it comes to recruiting, comparing Brewster to Giles is like comparing a Lamborghini to a Chevy Cruz.

Yes, they are both cars. Yes, they both generally do the same thing. But 99 out of 100 people are going to pick the Lambo. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Because position coaches don't only recruit their position? Brewster was good for multiple guys across multiple positions. Giles has seemed to be a decent developmental coach. It doesn't even take two brain cells to coach RBs so they gave to be rainmakers. And Warehime should be fired, Meekins moved back and we should pick up an LB coach to be another rainmaker to make up for Orlando not being a good recruiter and to help Giles to pick up slack as needed maybe. Giles has back to back DLoTY in his two years here after leaving Houston. The DL fucked Georgia up and their OL was supposed to fearsome as was their two headed running attack. What did those RBs do again?

Thx for your explanation of taking the plan further by also adding another defensive coach.  Just replacing Warehime and/or Drayton won't be enough to fix DL recruiting.

Edited by LTtxfan

Joseph Cook: Kitan Crawford expands on commitment to Texas

2020 Tyler John Tyler DB Kitan Crawford saw Texas several times this spring in several different lights. He made trips to February’s Junior Day, Texas Relays, and the UIL State track meet. Each time, the experience was better and better. On his recent official visit, he knew he had found where he wanted to spend the next few years. “Every time I go down there, it just feels like home,” Crawford said Friday. “I had to pull the trigger.”

Crawford brings high-level athleticism to the football field, enough to where a strong John Tyler program uses him on both sides of the ball. In his sophomore season for the Lions, Crawford had 269 rushing yards on 21 carries with two TDs, three receptions including one 68 yard touchdown catch, 30 total tackles, and two interceptions per MaxPreps. He boasts impressive track times with a 10.6 personal record in the 100m. He was the lead leg on John Tyler’s 4x100m that recently finished second in 5A with a 40.61.

At Texas, he’ll likely be playing in the defensive backfield for corners coach Jason Washington, who was pivotal in Crawford’s decision to go to Texas. “Coach Washington, he just feels like a step-dad,” Crawford said. “I can call coach, and whenever he answers the phone he’s always there. We basically have a relationship together.”

The John Tyler-to-Texas connection has been beneficial to the Longhorns for decades. Of course, the most notable product of that connection is Heisman-winning running back Earl Campbell. However, several other Lions have gone on to don the burnt orange. Tim Crowder, Matt Melton, and Aaron Ross are a few of the names Crawford is set to join. “It feels great,” Crawford said about continuing that pipeline. “I’ve got the city on my back. I’m doing something different, and it feels great.”

Crawford cited Texas’ proximity, academic and athletic prowess, and last year’s success as big reasons why he chose the Longhorns over schools like Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Tennessee. He also noted he has faith in the coaches to continue to build on the season they helped put together last year. “I trust all the coaches, so that’s why I made my decision,” Crawford said. At Texas, Crawford said he plans to study business and entrepreneurship. He will arrive in Austin with a unique nickname, Bug. “My mom says it’s because of my big head, but there’s a movie called Bug’s Life,” Crawford said. “That’s my favorite movie. I used to watch it all the time.”

Crawford became the seventh member of Texas’ 2020 class with his recent pledge. Texas showed him everything he needed to see in order for him to make his decision. It was one he’s sure about. “It’s just Texas,” he said.

Justin Wells: Late Night Recruiting Notes Have Been Broughton

Things heated up this evening when The Opening participants joined the Elite 11 quarterbacks here in Frisco. Measurements, 40-yard dashes, power ball, and broad jumps were followed by position-by-position situations and drills - OL vs DL, RB vs LB, WR vs CB. Just when the battles had started, in walked the four-star defensive lineman from Cypress Ridge, Vernon Broughton. Questions were asked. Answers were given.

Inside Texas: So, how was the beach? Is Galveston now in your Top 5? (VB was with his family there yesterday)

Vernon Broughton: (laughs) "It was live." (laughs) "It was nice being at my family reunion. Family time."

IT: You've taken all your official visits now. What's next?

VB: "I think a week from now, my family...me, momma, and grandmother are going to a nice restaurant. Bringing a pen and paper, notebook and writing (pros/cons) list."

IT: What are the most important factors you'll be discussing?

VB: "Every school is nice, but really where I'm going to fit in at, if I'm staying in Texas or not, and my family. I know every school shows that they love my family, but see who is really down."

IT: With Texas, what stands out about them?

VB: "It's Texas. My family live two hours away. Nice facilities and everything. I'm good with Coach Giles and Coach Herman, really cool with them. Coach Herman is involved 100 percent. He texts me every other day, seeing what I'm doing, checking to see if I'm still good with (Texas). And I am still good with them." (big smile)

IT: There are some Texas commits here like Jake (Majors) , Logan (Parr), and Hudson (Card). Do you talk to them at all?

VB: "I only saw them earlier when taking pictures. I'm cool with Hudson and those guys."

IT: You've grown a lot of the last few years. Where do you see yourself playing a position at in college?

VB: "Being honest, I know I'm going to grow some more (6-foot-5, 285), and people say defensive tackle, but I don't care. I just want to get onto the field."

IT: Would you say you're almost a natural fit, versatility wise, the way the NFL is going with d-linemen these days with guys that can play inside and outside along the d-line?

VB: "Yes sir, I know it. Absolutely. I want to know every position (on the d-line)."

IT: You got to see Texas A&M. What did you like?

VB: "A&M was amazing. The college itself, the people, it's a great place. I like Coach Price. They are good people."

IT: Is there a particular assistant out there you'd say you have the best relationship with?

VB: "Several. Coach Giles at Texas. Coach Johnson from Ohio State. Coach Price from A&M."

IT: You have a little sister, who is also a basketball prospect from the C/O 2021. Is there a chance you two could play at the same school?

VB: "Yes. She has offers too, not just me. But she does want to follow me. My momma wants us to stay close to each other. Yes sir, we could." (Asia Broughton was invited to UT's Elite Camp and will attend in July)

This recruitment isn't over no matter how loud they scream from Atlanta.

THREE MORE NOTES

- Arlington High's Jahari Rogers has been a hot topic in the last 24 hours. As I mentioned earlier in the Prospects Thread, Florida has reasons to feel good, but Texas has reasons to feel better. I'm thinking mid-July announcement here.

- Logan Parr looked average, Jake Majors a little rusty, and Donovan Jackson looked great. Johnny Wilson; freak. Demond Demas made a few incredible plays, then went 9/10 in the gymnastics portion of the event. Hudson Card finished No. 2 in the Elite 11 Day 3 rankings for the third straight evening. King Haynes wouldn't leave his throne. Both look superb.

- Darnell Washington is the alpha male. Goodness gracious he's rare.

Joe and I will have another Scoop tomorrow with notes/quotes from Lathan Ransom, Kitan Crawford, Jaylen Garth, and Chris Thompson.

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Justin Wells: Late Night Recruiting Notes Have Been Broughton

Reveal hidden contents

Things heated up this evening when The Opening participants joined the Elite 11 quarterbacks here in Frisco. Measurements, 40-yard dashes, power ball, and broad jumps were followed by position-by-position situations and drills - OL vs DL, RB vs LB, WR vs CB. Just when the battles had started, in walked the four-star defensive lineman from Cypress Ridge, Vernon Broughton. Questions were asked. Answers were given.

Inside Texas: So, how was the beach? Is Galveston now in your Top 5? (VB was with his family there yesterday)

Vernon Broughton: (laughs) "It was live." (laughs) "It was nice being at my family reunion. Family time."

IT: You've taken all your official visits now. What's next?

VB: "I think a week from now, my family...me, momma, and grandmother are going to a nice restaurant. Bringing a pen and paper, notebook and writing (pros/cons) list."

IT: What are the most important factors you'll be discussing?

VB: "Every school is nice, but really where I'm going to fit in at, if I'm staying in Texas or not, and my family. I know every school shows that they love my family, but see who is really down."

IT: With Texas, what stands out about them?

VB: "It's Texas. My family live two hours away. Nice facilities and everything. I'm good with Coach Giles and Coach Herman, really cool with them. Coach Herman is involved 100 percent. He texts me every other day, seeing what I'm doing, checking to see if I'm still good with (Texas). And I am still good with them." (big smile)

IT: There are some Texas commits here like Jake (Majors) , Logan (Parr), and Hudson (Card). Do you talk to them at all?

VB: "I only saw them earlier when taking pictures. I'm cool with Hudson and those guys."

IT: You've grown a lot of the last few years. Where do you see yourself playing a position at in college?

VB: "Being honest, I know I'm going to grow some more (6-foot-5, 285), and people say defensive tackle, but I don't care. I just want to get onto the field."

IT: Would you say you're almost a natural fit, versatility wise, the way the NFL is going with d-linemen these days with guys that can play inside and outside along the d-line?

VB: "Yes sir, I know it. Absolutely. I want to know every position (on the d-line)."

IT: You got to see Texas A&M. What did you like?

VB: "A&M was amazing. The college itself, the people, it's a great place. I like Coach Price. They are good people."

IT: Is there a particular assistant out there you'd say you have the best relationship with?

VB: "Several. Coach Giles at Texas. Coach Johnson from Ohio State. Coach Price from A&M."

IT: You have a little sister, who is also a basketball prospect from the C/O 2021. Is there a chance you two could play at the same school?

VB: "Yes. She has offers too, not just me. But she does want to follow me. My momma wants us to stay close to each other. Yes sir, we could." (Asia Broughton was invited to UT's Elite Camp and will attend in July)

This recruitment isn't over no matter how loud they scream from Atlanta.

THREE MORE NOTES

- Arlington High's Jahari Rogers has been a hot topic in the last 24 hours. As I mentioned earlier in the Prospects Thread, Florida has reasons to feel good, but Texas has reasons to feel better. I'm thinking mid-July announcement here.

- Logan Parr looked average, Jake Majors a little rusty, and Donovan Jackson looked great. Johnny Wilson; freak. Demond Demas made a few incredible plays, then went 9/10 in the gymnastics portion of the event. Hudson Card finished No. 2 in the Elite 11 Day 3 rankings for the third straight evening. King Haynes wouldn't leave his throne. Both look superb.

- Darnell Washington is the alpha male. Goodness gracious he's rare.

Joe and I will have another Scoop tomorrow with notes/quotes from Lathan Ransom, Kitan Crawford, Jaylen Garth, and Chris Thompson.

The added editorial “with a smile” I sure hope is not some false hope, 9.95 peddling bullshit. 

Someone already mentioned it but if things go south IT is going to look really bad. There is no middle ground with how they reported this cycle. 

I think this article is paywalled

Mike Farrell's predictions from Rivals 5* Camp. I put what I thought were relevant. Some interesting info in there

Bijan Robinson – Ohio State – This appears to be down to Ohio State and Texas and everything I heard at the event led to Robinson ending up in the Buckeyes' class. However, it’s still very close and you can’t count Texas out as he had a great visit there.
Lavon Bunkley-Shelton – Texas -- He has some academic hurdles ahead of him and could have to go the JUCO route, but I think he signs with Texas over Washington. Watch out for USC if the Trojans decide to recruit him as a wide receiver as they want him as a defensive back right now.
Mookie Cooper – Ohio State – The former Texas commitment was thought to be an Illinois lean, but his recent trip to Ohio State has changed everything and he appears to be a lock for the Buckeyes.
Javien Hester – Texas – The Longhorns do well with big outside receivers and that’s where he’s leaning right now.
Hayden Conner (2021) – Texas – Michigan and Nebraska among others are making a fine impression on the big tackle and there is a long way to go, but I think he stays in state with the Longhorns.
Bryce Foster (2021) – Texas A&M – The powerful guard has a long way to go before he decides for good, but A&M is in very good shape for him.
Donovan Jackson (2021) – Stanford – This is just a hunch based on his academics and his parents being teachers, but Texas A&M and others will make a strong push. If he visits Stanford officially, I think it will be tough to beat the Cardinal.
Chris Morris – Texas A&M – Morris is a tough one to read at times and can be all over the map but word on the street at the event was that A&M had a strong lead.
Vernon Broughton – Texas A&M – Broughton almost announced his commitment at the event and there was a ton of Aggies buzz surrounding him.
Octavious Oxendine – Tennessee – The Vols have been thought to be the leader for a while now and I don’t see anything changing.
Xavion Alford – Alabama – The talk in Atlanta at the event was about Alford and Alabama even though LSU and Texas A&M will make this tough.
Jacobe Covington – Washington – Everyone seems to think Oklahoma here for Covington but Washington has quietly pulled ahead.
Joshua Eaton – Texas A&M – It was Texas early but now it appears to be all Texas A&M for the talented defensive back who also played wide receiver at the event.
Tony Grimes (2021) – Texas A&M – Jimbo Fisher recruited Virginia Beach and the 757 well at Florida State and those relationships help the Aggies. Clemson will make this tough however and Texas is pushing.

Kelee Ringo – Georgia – Georgia and Texas were the programs I heard the most about when it comes to Ringo but he heads to the SEC based on the chatter at the event.
Bryson Washington – Oklahoma – It’s Oklahoma and Texas here and the Sooners win a very tough battle.

Also, he thinks OU lands a packaged deal of OL Aaryn Parks and Anton Harrison from DC. Parks in particular is really damn good, so hopefully he's wrong there. 

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals100-five-star-challenge-farrell-s-commitment-predictions

6 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I hope they pan out but Majors always felt like a quick take to me. He continues to perform poorly in these camp settings. Hopefully it's just a strength issue. 

I’m not saying there’s no chance he busts, but it’s a strength, size, and playing tackle his whole life and now is going up against athletic 300+ pound DTs without pads on 

A more maxed out guard will look better in this drills, but probably won’t be as good in three years 

• Like 1

Interesting -- Farrell says Horns lead

Lavon Bunkley-Shelton – Texas -- He has some academic hurdles ahead of him and could have to go the JUCO route, but I think he signs with Texas over Washington. Watch out for USC if the Trojans decide to recruit him as a wide receiver as they want him as a defensive back right now.

https://247sports.com/player/lv-bunkley-shelton-46037808/

28 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think this article is paywalled

Mike Farrell's predictions from Rivals 5* Camp. I put what I thought were relevant. Some interesting info in there

Reveal hidden contents

Bijan Robinson – Ohio State – This appears to be down to Ohio State and Texas and everything I heard at the event led to Robinson ending up in the Buckeyes' class. However, it’s still very close and you can’t count Texas out as he had a great visit there.
Lavon Bunkley-Shelton – Texas -- He has some academic hurdles ahead of him and could have to go the JUCO route, but I think he signs with Texas over Washington. Watch out for USC if the Trojans decide to recruit him as a wide receiver as they want him as a defensive back right now.
Mookie Cooper – Ohio State – The former Texas commitment was thought to be an Illinois lean, but his recent trip to Ohio State has changed everything and he appears to be a lock for the Buckeyes.
Javien Hester – Texas – The Longhorns do well with big outside receivers and that’s where he’s leaning right now.
Hayden Conner (2021) – Texas – Michigan and Nebraska among others are making a fine impression on the big tackle and there is a long way to go, but I think he stays in state with the Longhorns.
Bryce Foster (2021) – Texas A&M – The powerful guard has a long way to go before he decides for good, but A&M is in very good shape for him.
Donovan Jackson (2021) – Stanford – This is just a hunch based on his academics and his parents being teachers, but Texas A&M and others will make a strong push. If he visits Stanford officially, I think it will be tough to beat the Cardinal.
Chris Morris – Texas A&M – Morris is a tough one to read at times and can be all over the map but word on the street at the event was that A&M had a strong lead.
Vernon Broughton – Texas A&M – Broughton almost announced his commitment at the event and there was a ton of Aggies buzz surrounding him.
Octavious Oxendine – Tennessee – The Vols have been thought to be the leader for a while now and I don’t see anything changing.
Xavion Alford – Alabama – The talk in Atlanta at the event was about Alford and Alabama even though LSU and Texas A&M will make this tough.
Jacobe Covington – Washington – Everyone seems to think Oklahoma here for Covington but Washington has quietly pulled ahead.
Joshua Eaton – Texas A&M – It was Texas early but now it appears to be all Texas A&M for the talented defensive back who also played wide receiver at the event.
Tony Grimes (2021) – Texas A&M – Jimbo Fisher recruited Virginia Beach and the 757 well at Florida State and those relationships help the Aggies. Clemson will make this tough however and Texas is pushing.

Kelee Ringo – Georgia – Georgia and Texas were the programs I heard the most about when it comes to Ringo but he heads to the SEC based on the chatter at the event.
Bryson Washington – Oklahoma – It’s Oklahoma and Texas here and the Sooners win a very tough battle.

Also, he thinks OU lands a packaged deal of OL Aaryn Parks and Anton Harrison from DC. Parks in particular is really damn good, so hopefully he's wrong there. 

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals100-five-star-challenge-farrell-s-commitment-predictions

So Justin Wells basically gave the most flattering Broughton to Texas view last night and this guy is saying he almost committed to Aggy yesterday? 

Again, no middle ground. 

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

So Justin Wells basically gave the most flattering Broughton to Texas view last night and this guy is saying he almost committed to Aggy yesterday? 

Again, no middle ground. 

This was from the rivals camp. Things seem to have brightened up since then.

5 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

What’s the consensus on Farrell and his predictions?  Is he pretty solid or just another 9.95er throwing shit out there?

Normally I don’t put much stock into his thoughts, but he was with these kids for several days 

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

Normally I don’t put much stock into his thoughts, but he was with these kids for several days 

"So you think Broughton's going to Texas? *says A&M quietly under his breath*"

"Yes."

"Gotcha, Texas A&M"

"but I said Te.."

"Hey good luck in the competition later, byE"

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

I’m not saying there’s no chance he busts, but it’s a strength, size, and playing tackle his whole life and now is going up against athletic 300+ pound DTs without pads on 

A more maxed out guard will look better in this drills, but probably won’t be as good in three years 

This. These specific drills are built for big low base (human cubes) to stand each other up and push each other around. If you watch the OG/DT sections you get very limited action and it's all variants of head up rushing and doesn't highlight the kind of skillset that you see from OGs in pads, especially in this offense. I don't know why they don't add a simple timed pulling drill (under a frame to force them to stay low) with a choice to kick or seal. You simply don't get a feel for the OGs lateral agility (think of blocking the constant slanting, stunting that you see in actual games - see example Vahe unable to slide either direction). You can't teach balance and Majors has excellent balance, similarly you only have so much natural flexibility - and again Majors has very good flexibility.  It was known that he was going to need a couple of years with Yancey but like Fud said, in 3 years his lack of comparative strength, which is by far the easiest component to improve, will normalize and then the lateral agility, the flexibility, the technique, and most importantly the balance will separate good OG from very good OG. I think Majors was a really good early take because the thing lacking most from his game is the easiest thing to correct/improve. He's not going to win the underwear olympics, but I think he's going to be damn good in years 3-5 on campus with a nice high floor. I'd much rather have guys like Majors than guys like Barton Clement. 

I really don't think the Johnny Wilson recruitment is worth following

His family wanting to move with him makes it more of a long shot imo. Nike has been setting up families for years. I realize we're a Nike school, but they have more direct ties and are generally a much dirtier program at the moment. 

Marvin Bagley's family/house story in the spoiler. It's not an exact comparison because shoe companies invest much more in individual basketball prospects, Bagley > Wilson, and because Nike probably won't be as directly involved with Oregon football as they are with AAU/CBB. I'm just offering it as another data point. At they very least the Oregon bagmen know what they're doing. 

Spoiler

Marvin Bagley Jr. and his wife filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in April 2008, during the Great Recession, listing their combined annual income at just over $44,000. Property records indicate the Bagley home was sold in 2011 at a trustee’s sale — typically a sign of a foreclosure.

Four years later, shortly after Nike’s sponsorship of the team became public, they left their working-class neighborhood in Phoenix for Southern California. In a tax filing, the Bagleys listed a home address in a gated subdivision in Northridge called Porter Ranch. Similarly sized homes in the vicinity typically sell for $750,000 to $1.5 million, said Jose Contreras, a Coldwell Banker real estate broker active in the area. Rents in the neighborhood range from $2,500 to $7,500 a month.

Neither the Bagleys nor Nike would offer any details about the team sponsorship or the family’s personal finances. Contacted via telephone and through the Duke University sports information department, the Bagleys “respectfully declined” to comment.

I've said it before so sorry to repeat myself, but if we didn't match for Ringo we're not going to match for Wilson

• Like 1