Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

If you are surprised by Demas and King being good at football, I don't know what to tell you. It's not new information.

Jones was pretty awful in the CB/WR drills in 1-on-1s. Unsurprisingly, he's looked much better when playing facing the ball at FS. Oh btw - that's where he was offered and recruited at Texas, because he's a fucking FS. Aggy sold him on being able to play CB, because they play guys like him at CB already. Look for him to spend Saturdays chasing WRs and being out of position, you simply can't play CB and have a 4.32 shuttle. This staff is brutally honest with guys in terms of their position and the depth chart. If you expect that to change, get used to disappointment. 

And I actually agree with Herman on doing this. Look we could lie to Jaylon and tell him he could try to play CB and if he can't he will be FS. He might commit to us as a result. Odds are when he finds out he never had a serious shot at CB and that he was essentially lied to he'll transfer to a G5 or a P5 team with a bad CB corps where he'll probably be the best CB there. We could do the same with Broughton and he'd probably be a good DE. We could try to pull a bait and switch when he gets here and move him to DT where he could be a first rounder but once again odds are he'd be pissed at us for lying to him and rightfully so and  transfer somewhere else after. Missing out on elite targets hurts. Signing targets who bust or transfer hurts way more.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Would @Bruh Man still like to meltdown given that our "other" QB commit is #2 in the nation at camping?

I just looked up the history of Elite 11 rankings, and after you get past the recent few years, it is hilarious.  Here are the Elite 11 MVPs from some bygone years:

• 2017 - Justin Fields (beating out Trevor Lawrence)
  • 2014 - Blake Barnett (beating out Drew Lock, Kyler Murray, Josh Rosen, and Jarrett Stidham)
  • 2013 - Sean White (beating out Deshaun Watson, Will Grier, and our own Jerrod Heard)
  • 2012 - Asianti Woulard (beating out Jared Goff, among others)
  • 2011 - co-MVPs Jameis Winston, Neal Burcham, and Tanner Mangum
  • 2010 - Jeff Driskel (beating out Teddy Bridgewater and Cody Kessler)
  • 2009 -Jake Heaps (beating out a whole bunch of other fucking nobodies)
  • 2008 - Aaron Murray (beating out Geno Smith, Zach Mettenberger, AJ McCarron, Tom Savage, Garrett Gilbert, and Tajh Boyd)
  • 2007 - Blaine Gabbert (beating out Andrew Luck and Mike Glennon)
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

I just looked up the history of Elite 11 rankings, and after you get past the recent few years, it is hilarious.  Here are the Elite 11 MVPs from some bygone years:

• 2017 - Justin Fields (beating out Trevor Lawrence)
  • 2014 - Blake Barnett (beating out Drew Lock, Kyler Murray, Josh Rosen, and Jarrett Stidham)
  • 2013 - Sean White (beating out Deshaun Watson, Will Grier, and our own Jerrod Heard)
  • 2012 - Asianti Woulard (beating out Jared Goff, among others)
  • 2011 - co-MVPs Jameis Winston, Neal Burcham, and Tanner Mangum
  • 2010 - Jeff Driskel (beating out Teddy Bridgewater and Cody Kessler)
  • 2009 -Jake Heaps (beating out a whole bunch of other fucking nobodies)
  • 2008 - Aaron Murray (beating out Geno Smith, Zach Mettenberger, AJ McCarron, Tom Savage, Garrett Gilbert, and Tajh Boyd)
  • 2007 - Blaine Gabbert (beating out Andrew Luck and Mike Glennon)

Seemed to have skipped 2015 and 2016

4 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Seemed to have skipped 2015 and 2016

Right. I was only pointing out the years that I found especially hilarious.  They've done a more consistent job recently of going with the super high-ranked guys who are committed to power programs.  It seems they've started solving for X for the MVP by picking whoever is most likely to have the great college career; rather than picking the folks who have the best actual Elite 11 performance.

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Right. I was only pointing out the years that I found especially hilarious.  They've done a more consistent job recently of going with the super high-ranked guys who are committed to power programs.  It seems they've started solving for X for the MVP by picking whoever is most likely to have the great college career; rather than picking the folks who have the best actual Elite 11 performance.

Indeed. If memory serves Shane buchele led every fucking day and they still handed it to Shea Patterson because he had a good half of a scrimmage. 

• Like 4

On 6/30/2019 at 11:24 AM, victory88 said:

And he excelled at them compared to his peers with the exception of Bryce Young...

He lacks the build that JQJ and RJ have which will be a big advantage for them in the run game.  He has speed and quickness in the same range as them.  He's much much much further along than them with his footwork, mechanics, and accuracy.  RJ is going to spend this whole next year just working on his mechanics because he's behind the curve ball.  JQJ has all the potential in the world but he's EXTREMELY raw.  We'll see if he's willing to RS and sit it out while they coach him up rather than probably getting decent playing time day one at WR or LB.  My biggest concern for Card isn't his hands, it's whether he can get through a season without getting injured seeing how much Herman likes to run his QBs.  Right now he's got a big advantage over the other two in the sense that he can throw.  We'll see how it all plays out when they all compete but I like his chances.  

With that said, it's nice to see how much Sam has progressed as a QB.  Herman and Beck have maximized the talent of multiple QBs throughout their careers.  I love the talent we have in our QB room and how well each fits in our system.  With their coaching, who knows how far each progresses and who takes over.  For the first time in a decade, I feel confident that our team will always have a prepared and talented QB.  Just with that alone, we should be able to compete most year for the Big 12.  

"behind the curve ball???"

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Look at Bryce Young's WR corps. It's pretty clear they want him to win it this year.

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

You listen to the blitz on The Horn? When the fucking losers call in and do their terrible impressions and tell jokes with no punchline? 

No it's the 247 Morning Blitz podcast..they had an Elite 11 preview and then daily updates of the camp. It's on Spotify.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Wonder why we didn’t go after King. Staff must believe Card has more upside and running ability.

Apparently has his heart set on the SEC, hence his top schools being LSU, Tenn, aggy and Auburn. Obviously visited Duke, but doesn't seem to have super seriously considered them.

Edited by texifornia

10 minutes ago, I Plead Da Fif said:

This thread has been an absolute beating, from the cheese puns, to the losing out on every recruit we want after having the best season in 8 years and beating the pants off of an $EC “giant”. I wish I could quit this thread.

Listen, if you want sunshine, go visit the satay thread.

• Like 1