Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

On a positive note, if we project this class on out with Dorbah, CTJ, and Lindberg along with some other likely candidates from within the state we should end up with an overall composite of ~270.  If a few higher profile recruitments end up going our way (i.e. Johnny Wilson, flip McClellan, etc.) we could end up close to 290.  In any normal year that's a borderline top 10 class with potential for top 5. 

Bottom line:  A blinding glimpse of the obvious, but this season is going to be critical to our long term progression.  We need to win 10 and make the B12 game at a minimum.  Win the B12 and the sky is the limit.  Achieve neither and TH is going to have to make several changes.

6 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

On a positive note, if we project this class on out with Dorbah, CTJ, and Lindberg along with some other likely candidates from within the state we should end up with an overall composite of ~270.  If a few higher profile recruitments end up going our way (i.e. Johnny Wilson, flip McClellan, etc.) we could end up close to 290.  In any normal year that's a borderline top 10 class with potential for top 5. 

Bottom line:  A blinding glimpse of the obvious, but this season is going to be critical to our long term progression.  We need to win 10 and make the B12 game at a minimum.  Win the B12 and the sky is the limit.  Achieve neither and TH is going to have to make several changes.

We did both last year, and TH already needs to make several obvious changes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

We did both last year, and TH already needs to make several obvious changes. 

And we ended up with a top 5 class.  If we don't win 10 and make the B12 'ship game I think we'll struggle to make the top 10 this year and next.

Double edged sword for those who want staff changes.  If we win like most expect this year, I don't think we'll see any major changes.  For those changes to happen likely means we had a subpar season.

Interesting question:  Would you rather have another 10 win season, make the B12 'ship game and no staff changes?  Or, end up around 8 wins with Giles/Warehime/Drayton out the door?

Edited by Stampeder

And we ended up with a top 5 class.  If we don't win 10 and make the B12 'ship game I think we'll struggle to make the top 10 this year and next.
Double edged sword for those who want staff changes.  If we win like most expect this year, I don't think we'll see any major changes.  For those changes to happen likely means we had a subpar season.
Interesting question:  Would you rather have another 10 win season, make the B12 'ship game and no staff changes?  Or, end up around 8 wins with Giles/Warehime/Drayton out the door?

Why do we have to choose? Spoiler alert: we don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

We need to be playing for a CFP spot come the Big 12 Championship game.  We only have two more seasons of the Sam era, so we gotta go all in.

28 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Only Texas fans could be disappointed by meeting expectations 

I’d love to know which part of our recruiting performance this offseason, after wildly exceeding our on the field expectations, is working for you? 

Because few here would say they’re being met at this point. And please spare all of us some “it’s july” throwaway post. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’d love to know which part of our recruiting performance this offseason, after wildly exceeding our on the field expectations, is working for you? 

Because few here would say they’re being met at this point. And please spare all of us some “it’s july” throwaway post. 

He's clearly referring to the season in which we went 10-4, made the Big 12 title game, and defeated two top 5 opponents, in response to the posts implying that going 7-5 or 8-4 would have been better for the program in the long run because it would have precipitated staff changes.

Everyone knows that recruiting has not met expectations this cycle and in some ways did not meet expectations last cycle or (in very few ways) even in 2018.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 2

'Ship?

Do you also say natty?

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

If Dixon doesn't sign at NSD1 in December 2020 then there’s a good chance he will have to re-evaluate when that staff is fired.  

Chad Morris’s isn’t being fired in year 2. Not with his kid coming in and then generally recruiting better than recent records should have allowed. That dude’s seat is as cool as the other side of the pillow. RIP STU.

Really wish we pushed for him.   This staff clearly has him lower on the board.  If we push later in the year, he’ll flip most likely,  Really good get for Arkansas.  He’s fast, can play multiple positions, and he will easily fill out his frame with a college S&C program.

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

If Bryson Washington commits to the Gooners, does this mean a #HoustontoAustin movement needs to start?

No but if it does happen, I'll put it directly on TO's shoulders. He's been pathetic as a recruiter and closer. We understand him not being dynamic as a recruiter if you are a stud DC but you should be able to close guys your staff has identified as priorities and set up for you to close. Bryson is arguably the best in state DB this year.

5 minutes ago, Goodman said:

No but if it does happen, I'll put it directly on TO's shoulders. He's been pathetic as a recruiter and closer. We understand him not being dynamic as a recruiter if you are a stud DC but you should be able to close guys your staff has identified as priorities and set up for you to close. Bryson is arguably the best in state DB this year.

Naivar is the position coach and he is expected to be the closer (along with the head coach). We all know TO is a subpar recruiter, but it's tiresome to see every negative result twisted into your preferred narrative.

Also, Crawford and Kimber are both better DBs, and I think for our defense I like Thompson a little better, too. Washington is good though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Unlikely. Folks say they can’t fucking stand one another.

Oddly enough, had Herman retained Traylor, they would have gotten along just fine. Herman straight up fucked up by not retaining Traylor and everyone around the program but Tom Herman admits/knows as much. 

At this point, the original statements and concerns about Herman’s staff are indisputably validated by anyone with a backbone, even a small brain, and an avid interest in following the program. Warehime was a fucking joke on the OL and a bust in recruiting. Mehringer does more to alienate his targets than sign them, to say nothing of his personnel management and coaching. Herman tried to pawn both off after season one and ended up having to demote both of them. Giles is one of the worst recruiters in the country. He might be actually the worst from a relative sense. Meekins has been a very sad replacement of what Traylor brought to the table. Tim Beck is a terrible OC and should have never had the role and arguably played the biggest role in costing us both Maryland games. Those of us watching this stuff uniformly failed to realize how fucking terrible Drayton is. That one we missed. 

Texas believes itself to be a place in which it attracts and develops the best and the brightest, and does so with a haughty sense of holier than thou propriety. The behaviors exhibited with managing the most visible element of the entire university fly in the face of all of that. We’ve sucked for a long fucking time and we have a coaching staff that almost seems purposely designed to carry that forward. 

• Like 5

Mike Roach: Final thoughts on Texas targets from The Opening Finals

—Four-star quarterback Hudson Card had a really good week. He sat at No. 2 in the Elite 11 rankings for the entirety of the competition — as voted on by the other passers in attendance — and I thought he truly shined in several areas. Card was likely in contention to win MVP of the quarterback group entering the final day, and it was probably his worst day of the competition. It’s not that Card was particularly bad, but he just didn’t play to the level he did compared to the rest of the week. Card and his team didn’t have a great first half in the second game of the knockout phase, and Card didn’t play in the second half or final game of the tournament as the coaches shifted quarterbacks. Overall, Card had a Top 5 week in Frisco, and he proved himself as a natural and accurate passer.

—Going into the week I thought that Jake Majors could have a tough time with the bigger defensive linemen in attendance, and it certainly started out that way. During the first day of OL/DL drills, Majors had a lot of trouble handling stronger interior guys from the center position. He relied far too much on leaning, and he wasn’t using his natural tools to the best of his ability. When the pads came on for the second day, Majors became a bit more comfortable. He said he worked with the coaches to adapt his technique to the interior. Majors started utilizing his feet more consistently, and won some battles during the week. Majors’ best growth will come when he adds the strength to anchor against stronger players.

—Logan Parr dealt with some of the same size issues that Majors did, but he handled them a bit easier. Parr’s quickness was evident with his shuttle time of 4.64 during testing, and his feet were clean when moving laterally against defensive linemen. Parr will also need to add some weight at the next level, but his athleticism and understanding of leverage could pay huge dividends once the strength catches up.

—Calabasas (Calif.) wide receiver Johnny Wilson shined in some spots with his frame and length, but he wasn’t a consistent performer all week. 7v7 generally benefits smaller 'slot type' receivers, but there were times when Wilson didn’t make an impact while on the field. Wilson showed the ability to separate, elevate and bring in the ball with natural pass-catching ability. I would like to see him play with a bigger physical presence and really maximize his distinct size advantage.

—2021 Bellaire Episcopal offensive lineman Donovan Jackson was probably the best Texas target I saw throughout the week. He absolutely dominated from the interior in the OL/DL portion and took home OL MVP honors. Jackson is so technically sound, and he uses his long arms so effectively. He moves with clean feet and has the strength to anchor against bigger rushers. Jackson frustrated upperclassmen all week, and he established himself as one of the elite offensive linemen in the country.

—Four-star cornerback Jahari Rogers was a guy I barely noticed during the week. While that could be construed as bad, it’s actually because he really never got beat that much. I didn’t see him make many plays, but the job of a defensive back is to limit the people he’s covering. Rogers has a tremendous frame and physical presence, and I like the way he’s developing at the cornerback position.

—Four-star St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic athlete Mookie Cooper really passed the eyeball test on initial explosion. His takeoff and ability to reach top speed quickly was incredibly impressive in the early portion of 7v7. Cooper is so quick in small windows that he can break off a route, make the catch and reach top speed before most guys can change direction. His ultimate future will be determined by the way the offense utilizes him at whatever school he chooses.

—Four-star safety Xavion Alford was in and out of action with multiple injuries throughout the week. When he was in, he made some great reads and broke up a few routes. His instinctual play is plus at the position, and he’s a good enough athlete to make use of it and find the ball. Alford was lost to a knee injury on the final day, so he didn’t play in most of the knockout rounds.

—Four-star defensive lineman Vernon Broughton had an abbreviated week. After arriving late, Broughton flashed several times in the OL/DL drills. Broughton’s quickness and size is staggering, and he uses his strength well. He’s also playing with better technique and leverage. He will need to add more to his arsenal to become a complete player, but you can see the obvious potential in him.

—Four-star Manor DL Princely Umanmielen was injured pretty early in the competition, so we didn’t have much to go off of with him.

—Duncanville safety Chris Thompson had a solid week in coverage. He showed his range deep, and displayed strong ball skills when tracking passes in the air. Thompson tested well in the training camp portion, and he used his size and smarts to make several big plays.

—I did not notice Oklahoma commit Jase McClellan much during the event. I thought he might shine more in the 7v7 portion, but I barely heard his name called. McClellan isn’t a player built for this environment, and he really shines on Friday nights when the pads come on.

—Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic safety Lathan Ransom was one of the best skill players I saw during the competition. He reads and reacts quickly from his safety position, and he was in the mix every time his defense was on the field. Ransom dropped a few interceptions, but he hauled in a great one during the knockout round.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Oddly enough, had Herman retained Traylor, they would have gotten along just fine. Herman straight up fucked up by not retaining Traylor and everyone around the program but Tom Herman admits/knows as much. 

At this point, the original statements and concerns about Herman’s staff are indisputably validated by anyone with a backbone, even a small brain, and an avid interest in following the program. Warehime was a fucking joke on the OL and a bust in recruiting. Mehringer does more to alienate his targets than sign them, to say nothing of his personnel management and coaching. Herman tried to pawn both off after season one and ended up having to demote both of them. Giles is one of the worst recruiters in the country. He might be actually the worst from a relative sense. Meekins has been a very sad replacement of what Traylor brought to the table. Tim Beck is a terrible OC and should have never had the role and arguably played the biggest role in costing us both Maryland games. Those of us watching this stuff uniformly failed to realize how fucking terrible Drayton is. That one we missed. 

Texas believes itself to be a place in which it attracts and develops the best and the brightest, and does so with a haughty sense of holier than thou propriety. The behaviors exhibited with managing the most visible element of the entire university fly in the face of all of that. We’ve sucked for a long fucking time and we have a coaching staff that almost seems purposely designed to carry that forward. 

So who is close enough or ballsy enough to advise Herman on ways to change his F'n staff??  ( Not a freakin yes man)

Naivar?  Beaty?  Hand?  

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No one's overjoyed about how recruiting's going so far this cycle (except maybe @Barry_McCokiner) but this seems kind of overboard

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So who is close enough or ballsy enough to advise Herman on ways to change his F'n staff??  ( Not a freakin yes man)

Naivar?  Beaty?  Hand?  

There isn’t one. He’s a narcissist. People who challenge him and his mind don’t last long and those types were hollowed out from his network a very long time ago. He either finds a way to blame some of these guys for failures or they’ll never be anywhere but here. Damn near every weakness on the staff would not be viable candidates for comparable roles elsewhere. We’re either cheering for some level of failure or praying for another program’s abject stupidity. I can’t pray for failure, so I’m hoping for an amazing year on the field, then a bunch of these numbnuts parlaying the success into better roles at programs somehow dumber than our own. 

• Like 6