Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Just now, closetojumping said:

There isn’t one. He’s a narcissist. People who challenge him and his mind don’t last long and those types were hollowed out from his network a very long time ago. He either finds a way to blame some of these guys for failures or they’ll never be anywhere but here. Damn near every weakness on the staff would not be viable candidates for comparable roles elsewhere. We’re either cheering for some level of failure or praying for another program’s abject stupidity. I can’t pray for failure, so I’m hoping for an amazing year on the field, then a bunch of these numbnuts parlaying the success into better roles at programs somehow dumber than our own. 

Do we know if Huff can recruit? Is he a candidate for promotion? Would we hire Lorenzo Joe away from okie st? 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He’s a narcissist

I don't think narcissist is fair. He is in fact a smart dude and probably confident that he's smarter than everyone else in the room at any given time. Narcissicm, however, would depress a culture. People don't follow narcissists and buy into their vision for the future, and for all intents and purposes, that's not what's happening at Texas.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

No one's overjoyed about how recruiting's going so far this cycle (except maybe @Barry_McCokiner) but this seems kind of overboard

It’s matter of fact. I’ve said very little lately as you and many others have rushed to squat to pee, but post I responded carried subject matter you guys constantly gloss over with random excuses. I’ve maintained the position I posted from Dec16/Jan17 forward. Rather than counter any point, you take an ironically absurd position of accusing someone else of hyperbole. 

Texas has signed two great classes in a row. I expect them to do the same this year. Part of it is Texas. Part of it is the staff’s excellence in evaluation. Part of it is that there are actually some qualified closers on staff. That’s all great. It doesn’t change the fact that we’re going to miss repeatedly on critical, difference-making targets, and that will separate Texas from being good versus great, and that is self-inflicted. 

There’s always been an important distinction on UT boards between those who understand that good is the enemy of great, and those who think good is ever “so close” and we should just be happy with that. That isn’t the way I do anything in life, and my expectations of what Texas should be doing are never going to change accordingly. It won’t always jibe with the critical thinking gurus on the boards such as you or echeese or apparently Barry_McConiker, and that’s okay. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There isn’t one. He’s a narcissist. People who challenge him and his mind don’t last long and those types were hollowed out from his network a very long time ago. He either finds a way to blame some of these guys for failures or they’ll never be anywhere but here. Damn near every weakness on the staff would not be viable candidates for comparable roles elsewhere. We’re either cheering for some level of failure or praying for another program’s abject stupidity. I can’t pray for failure, so I’m hoping for an amazing year on the field, then a bunch of these numbnuts parlaying the success into better roles at programs somehow dumber than our own. 

20170803arPittCampD304-1532252098.jpg

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don't think narcissist is fair. He is in fact a smart dude and probably confident that he's smarter than everyone else in the room at any given time. Narcissicm, however, would depress a culture. People don't follow narcissists and buy into their vision for the future, and for all intents and purposes, that's not what's happening at Texas.

Being smart doesn’t preclude narcissism. In fact, narcissism often manifests as a disorder in puberty based on constant positive reinforcements the right kind of personality receives regarding something allegedly superior in their make-up, usually looks or brains. 

Yes-men follow narcissists. I grant that maintaining success as a narcissist is far more difficult than doing so as a sociopath, but elements of narcissistic behavior feed ambition and upward trajectories until ultimately the network and culture is exhausted. We’ll see if that happens at Texas under Herman. I hope not, but it wouldn’t suprise me. Either way, we’re all trending towards something, whether it be narcissism, sociopathy, bipolar or genius. He’s clearly either a narcissist in the clinical sense or he’s just shy of it. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s matter of fact. I’ve said very little lately as you and many others have rushed to squat to pee, but post I responded carried subject matter you guys constantly gloss over with random excuses. I’ve maintained the position I posted from Dec16/Jan17 forward. Rather than counter any point, you take an ironically absurd position of accusing someone else of hyperbole. 

Texas has signed two great classes in a row. I expect them to do the same this year. Part of it is Texas. Part of it is the staff’s excellence in evaluation. Part of it is that there are actually some qualified closers on staff. That’s all great. It doesn’t change the fact that we’re going to miss repeatedly on critical, difference-making targets, and that will separate Texas from being good versus great, and that is self-inflicted. 

There’s always been an important distinction on UT boards between those who understand that good is the enemy of great, and those who think good is ever “so close” and we should just be happy with that. That isn’t the way I do anything in life, and my expectations of what Texas should be doing are never going to change accordingly. It won’t always jibe with the critical thinking gurus on the boards such as you or echeese or apparently Barry_McConiker, and that’s okay. 

woah woah woah woah.  I was gonna like this post until that last sentence.  Don't ever compare me to that fat turd echeese.  I'm not a pumper, but I'm also not a whiny titty baby.  Also, your case is compelling,  but you left out that a) we likely don't pay as well as some schools, b) our facilities are lagging, c) save last year, we've sucked for the last ten years.  

But yes, there appears to be some fat to trim and nobody was as disappointed as I am when Tom decided to bring his buddies from UH to here. If your assessment of Tom is true, then I suspect we will be in for a very good, but not great tenure and likely second in this conference.

• Fuck You 1

I'm hoping there was a desire to have staff continuity in order to build culture, and after year 3 with a player-led culture and another year of proven success in doing things "our" way, Herman won't fear replacing someone even if he can't find them a promotion.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Oddly enough, had Herman retained Traylor, they would have gotten along just fine. Herman straight up fucked up by not retaining Traylor and everyone around the program but Tom Herman admits/knows as much. 

At this point, the original statements and concerns about Herman’s staff are indisputably validated by anyone with a backbone, even a small brain, and an avid interest in following the program. Warehime was a fucking joke on the OL and a bust in recruiting. Mehringer does more to alienate his targets than sign them, to say nothing of his personnel management and coaching. Herman tried to pawn both off after season one and ended up having to demote both of them. Giles is one of the worst recruiters in the country. He might be actually the worst from a relative sense. Meekins has been a very sad replacement of what Traylor brought to the table. Tim Beck is a terrible OC and should have never had the role and arguably played the biggest role in costing us both Maryland games. Those of us watching this stuff uniformly failed to realize how fucking terrible Drayton is. That one we missed. 

Texas believes itself to be a place in which it attracts and develops the best and the brightest, and does so with a haughty sense of holier than thou propriety. The behaviors exhibited with managing the most visible element of the entire university fly in the face of all of that. We’ve sucked for a long fucking time and we have a coaching staff that almost seems purposely designed to carry that forward. 

Now, imagine this post coming off the heels of a top 3 recruiting class and a Sugar bowl victory to cap the season.

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Being smart doesn’t preclude narcissism. In fact, narcissism often manifests as a disorder in puberty based on constant positive reinforcements the right kind of personality receives regarding something allegedly superior in their make-up, usually looks or brains. 

Yes-men follow narcissists. I grant that maintaining success as a narcissist is far more difficult than doing so as a sociopath, but elements of narcissistic behavior feed ambition and upward trajectories until ultimately the network and culture is exhausted. We’ll see if that happens at Texas under Herman. I hope not, but it wouldn’t suprise me. Either way, we’re all trending towards something, whether it be narcissism, sociopathy, bipolar or genius. He’s clearly either a narcissist in the clinical sense or he’s just shy of it. 

I don't have any empirical statistics to back this claim, but I think it would by highly surprising if the vast majority of successful people in competitive fields did not have a strong tendency towards narcissism. Granted, there is a tremendous difference between a tendency, and the full-blown McGuffin, but it's an important consideration. You cannot succeed at that level without having a ridiculously healthy, to the point of excess, sense of self-esteem.

The problem lay entirely with the question of adaptability through time, and unfortunately, there is simply no way to predict that before hand. Some change after falling short (Nick Saban has adapted numerous times during his Dark Reign) and some don't. The ones who change eventually become legends; the ones who don't eventually become footnotes.

As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on Herman, and I don't really see any reason to panic just yet. He's still just a baby megalomaniac. Let's let him reach self-adulatory puberty before we start drawing any conclusions.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I don't know if he's any good or not, but I do know that the first couple of clips of him playing running back on his Hudl are some of the funniest damn things I've ever seen. It's like Andre the Giant playing tailback for a Pop Warner team.

Hahaha. Jesus are these from the 7th grade? Like Kramer fighting children. 

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

the majority of elite leaders are narcissists...  enough so to garner it's own term "narcissistic leadership".   Herman is a raging narcissist and I'm very okay with that.

• Like 1

Just now, UcancallmeSurly said:

the majority of elite leaders are narcissists...  enough so to garner it's own term "narcissistic leadership".   Herman is a raging narcissist and I'm very okay with that.

Narcissism and being narcissistic is not the same as being a narcissist. Great leaders can self scout and edit their behavior for the good of the group and ultimately themselves. Narcissists cannot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The 10th can't come soon enough (well, after the holiday weekend I suppose)

JQJ is a higher ranked prospect than Dorbah and his commitment satiated the board for less than 24 hours. The 10th will take us to the 11th and then the gloom here will continue.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Goodman said:

CDC has always had an active role in his HC's personnel. 

I’d love to know what more insight or details you have into this statement. Because Ive never heard anything like that. At all. Is this coming from somewhere or just wish-casting? Because it seems like the latter since he’s been there 1 year less than herman, has been busy fundraising, and hasn’t had any surface level REASON to question herman’s staff choices. Sugar bowl win, 10 win season, heisman candidate this season, top recruiting classes. Top level has to look great to an AD. Unless you think cdc reads this board on shaggy and has been a lifetime subscriber to Jerry Scarborough. 

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

JQJ is a higher ranked prospect than Dorbah and his commitment satiated the board for less than 24 hours. The 10th will take us to the 11th and then the gloom here will continue.

I mean, we can fill up on bread like Aggy and get commits on the regular, but it's clearly not helping them.  Nothing wrong with the current pace, as long as we continue to bring in quality players on the way to NSD and end up with a good class.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Isn't that all life is though? Just trying to make it to the next enjoyable thing before we have to go back to dealing with the shit of normalcy? 

12 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

I mean, we can fill up on bread like Aggy and get commits on the regular, but it's clearly not helping them.  Nothing wrong with the current pace, as long as we continue to bring in quality players on the way to NSD and end up with a good class.

The problem isn’t the guys we have gotten, it’s the guys we are missing on that will lead to lower caliber replacements over the rest of the year. 

It’s not the guys you get that can help you win, its the guys you get that can’t help you win. Processing isn’t as easy with the new rules. 

Evans doesn’t hurt if you sign Robinson. Evans and Robinson don’t hurt if you sign McClellan. What hurts is if you don’t sign any of them and flip tahj brooks as your rb1. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

8 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

I wasn't stating how I personally feel, just stating what I think will happen. I'm not quite as down as most of this board, shit does suck right now, but things are usually never as bad (or as good) as we think they are.

7 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Isn't that all life is though? Just trying to make it to the next enjoyable thing before we have to go back to dealing with the shit of normalcy? 

Yes.

Also, you aren't helping with the gloominess level around here.

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’d love to know what more insight or details you have into this statement. Because Ive never heard anything like that. At all. Is this coming from somewhere or just wish-casting? Because it seems like the latter since he’s been there 1 year less than herman, has been busy fundraising, and hasn’t had any surface level REASON to question herman’s staff choices. Sugar bowl win, 10 win season, heisman candidate this season, top recruiting classes. Top level has to look great to an AD. Unless you think cdc reads this board on shaggy and has been a lifetime subscriber to Jerry Scarborough. 

There are stories and he's talked about it to some degree. He has always sat with coaches and reviewed the state of & staff. He started doing it early on, it's how he and Herman got to know each other at Rice. Not saying he is playing General Manager but he is asking questions and sharing thoughts. I am sure he has no problem delivering information, Pierce has talked about how often CDC wants to meet & having to ask him not to attempt a meeting after a loss.

Edited by Goodman

32 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’d love to know what more insight or details you have into this statement. Top level has to look great to an AD. Unless you think cdc reads this board on shaggy and has been a lifetime subscriber to Jerry Scarborough. 

Which one of you is CDC??

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

44 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Don Draper for recruiting coordinator

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Stampeder said:

It isn't our choice and I just don't see TH making changes without a subpar season.

Even with a subpar season (not in Big 12 championship game), I don’t see him making changes.  I love to see these ninny’s pinning for Traylor. Lemming alert!

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I don't have any empirical statistics to back this claim, but I think it would by highly surprising if the vast majority of successful people in competitive fields did not have a strong tendency towards narcissism. Granted, there is a tremendous difference between a tendency, and the full-blown McGuffin, but it's an important consideration. You cannot succeed at that level without having a ridiculously healthy, to the point of excess, sense of self-esteem.

The problem lay entirely with the question of adaptability through time, and unfortunately, there is simply no way to predict that before hand. Some change after falling short (Nick Saban has adapted numerous times during his Dark Reign) and some don't. The ones who change eventually become legends; the ones who don't eventually become footnotes.

As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on Herman, and I don't really see any reason to panic just yet. He's still just a baby megalomaniac. Let's let him reach self-adulatory puberty before we start drawing any conclusions.

Being arrogant or having self-esteem aren’t facets related to narcissism. If you’re looking for a personality disorder that a disproportionate number of highly successful people are in possession of, it’s sociopathy. It’s amazing what can be accomplished if you have no conscience or compunction for other peoples’ well being. Saban shows textbook sociopathic tendencies. I don’t see anything from him resembling narcissism. He doesn’t seem to give one shit about what anyone else thinks. 

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Evans doesn’t hurt if you sign Robinson. Evans and Robinson don’t hurt if you sign McClellan. What hurts is if you don’t sign any of them and flip tahj brooks as your rb1. 

and what about if we don’t flip tahj brooks?