Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Assuming Lindberg, CTJ and Dorbah join the fold in the next month or so we'll increase our composite score to 205 and jump from 43 to 19 with a per recruit score of .9379.  So, there's that.  How we're going to go about filling the other 10-12 spots remains a mystery at this point.  It would appear this staff is comfortable with shooting for the stars and taking their chances on a lights out season providing some momentum.

6 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

The term "aggy" is singular, much the same as the mindset of everyone who carries that moniker. The singular mindset itself it one that is cognitively dissociated from reality and is unable to process any information that would counter the intrinsic belief system of the aggy.

I would just add that because of this, aggy can be plural and is an acceptable term to use when referring to the agriculture and mechanics school of Texas. They're truly a special breed (just ask them) and should be distinguished as such so as to not be confused/as an insult to Aggie schools across the country. 

It's not some silly dis or our own childish "tee ewww" comeback. These people are unique and should be identified as such. It's for the betterment of society. Kind of like microchipping your pets or SO registration. 

Now back to how we suck at recruiting...

35 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Assuming Lindberg, CTJ and Dorbah join the fold in the next month or so we'll increase our composite score to 205 and jump from 43 to 19 with a per recruit score of .9379.  So, there's that.  How we're going to go about filling the other 10-12 spots remains a mystery at this point.  It would appear this staff is comfortable with shooting for the stars and taking their chances on a lights out season providing some momentum.

Smaller class I guess. I'd be surprised if we top 20 kids.

41 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

We had the fucking momentum coming off the sugar bowl and the staff completely wasted it what makes you think they won’t do the exact same thing again?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

We had the fucking momentum coming off the sugar bowl and the staff completely wasted it what makes you think they won’t do the exact same thing again?

We had momentum if we wanted to take those willing to commit on the spot (or close to it).  Pretty much my point.  This staff appears to be shooting for the stars across the board and unwilling to accept fallback options at this point.  That would imply they're willing to bank on a stellar season convincing the higher-rated recruits to head our way.

Fridays in the Scoopidor - 7/5/19

By: Justin and Joe

As the temperature heats up this summer, so does college recruiting in the state of Texas. This UT class has the potential for Top 5-10 status, but certain things need to line up, and negative recruiting pitches must be overcome. Schools have always found ways to trash Texas on the trail. When they were 6-6, the insults weren’t as loud, because they didn’t need to be. But after a 10-win season, B12 Championship appearance, and Sugar Bowl win, those barbs from opposing coaches become louder and more direct.

By the time the Stars at Night camp in late July is here, a handful of UT targets will likely have made their decision public - Prince Dorbah, Vernon Broughton, Chris Thompson, Chad Lindberg, Jahari Rogers, and Lathan Ransom. Texas will win some, and lose some. Fresh off the dead period, the staff always brings the energy when the invite-only camp happens to host some of the state’s best. I expect a nice turnout, with some nice 2020s in attendance, not to mention the C/O 2021. It’ll be an opportunity for some of that momentum the program needs.

Next up is Texas-LSU weekend. There will be a row of five-star talent ready to attend this rumble. Texas proving itself worthy with a defeat of the Bayou Bengals would help generate momentum. As for today, Texas still looks solid with some of its key guys, but they’ve got work to do with others. Nothing that can’t be fixed or overcome over the next six months.

STATE OF RECRUITING

— Johnny Wilson and Hudson Card. This last week was big for those two. The fact they got to bond during The Opening/Elite 11 is why we’re adamant about what Card’s trying to do behind the scenes. Wilson loved Texas, and getting close to Card was a benefit that hopefully bears fruit in December.

— Bijan Robinson wants to decide soon or wait longer? At first, he was talking about a mid-summer pledge. Now, he might be backing off that timeline. This helps UT. Robinson is in the “show me something this season” mode, which is perfectly normal. The longer his recruitment drags out, the better chance Texas has. If it’s soon, it’s probably tOSU.

— Vernon Broughton’s decision could be as soon as next week. Or he could take longer after he sits down with his family to weigh his options - Texas, Ohio State, Texas A&M. I see it as 50/50 UT/A&M right now where the pendulum could swing at any moment. The fact the Texas women's basketball program is looking at his sister (Asia, 2021) has to help in some regard. Broughton mentioned their mother’s desire for them to be close to each other. Coaches are confident on both sides, which often means neither really knows. Hell, Vernon may not know yet.

— Stay the course with Jase McClellan. This season might determine his flip factor. Texas continues to do work with McClellan and his mother, Mia, behind the scenes. The more quiet this recruitment, the more likely Texas can turn the corner. He also wants to see the Horns’ success in 2019.

— Chad Lindberg might visit later this summer. He’s trending Texas right now, and a decision likely happens before fall camp. Lindberg was poised to commit during his OV to Austin, but decided to slow down and take his officials. I wouldn’t be surprised if he announced his future program soon.

— Bryson Washington committed to OU. The depth chart at Texas was a little intimidating, but I wouldn’t put it past him to visit Austin this fall. Recruit through the whistle here. Who else? Texas could be looking at Christian Gonzalez and Jerrin Thompson if Washington falls completely through. I know Xavion Alford is leaning Alabama, and hear they’d take him now. The beauty of this is Gonzalez and Thompson are both play-makers with intangibles and underrated athleticism.

— What about Len’Neth Whitehead? The 2020 linebacker from Georgia offered praise to Todd Orlando at The Opening and said his ability to put linebackers in the league appealed to him. He also mentioned Texas is giving him the option to play RB in addition to LB. He has no problem with leaving the southeast if he feels at home on campus, and mentioned South Carolina, Georgia, Texas, Tennessee, Georgia Tech, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma as schools currently on him. He talks to Orlando every week, and plans to make an official visit to UT.

JAHARI ROGERS

One of the more surprising things coming out of The Opening was the amount of buzz for Florida surrounding 2020 Arlington CB Jahari Rogers. Florida has been a school that's showed him plenty of interest and has an appealing sell for defensive backs. They are one of several schools that claims to be DBU, and have in recent history been a good place for DBs. The buzz came about in part because of answers given by Rogers in multiple interviews. He called Florida's DB coach "second to none" and named Florida's strength coach as "the best" when speaking with Inside Texas, and likely said similar things to Florida media during check-in. The fact that coach Gray (UF’s DB coach) came to Jason Washington a few years ago and asked how he got three-star William Jackson (UH) drafted in the first round seems like a point the Rogers should be made aware of.

That in turn lead to several forecasts of Rogers to UF. Rogers was adamant he has yet to make a decision, even questioning those Florida rumors about himself. "I've been hearing people say I'm going to Florida, but we'll see. The process is not over and I could pop (a commitment) so unexpectedly, people will be like 'what?'" We've learned the reason for those predictions wasn't in response to any sort of word Rogers gave to Florida that he was coming.

Despite the high praise he offered Florida ("It's just different") and the muted responses he gave about Texas ("I got a lot of good answers that I needed"), nothing leads us to believe Texas still isn't in front here. That isn't to say that Florida hasn't made up ground in this recruitment, they're a strong finalist and Rogers even said as much. Other factors like prior relationships, coach Washington, and Texas' efforts on his official visit have us thinking what we wrote earlier this week: Florida should feel good, Texas should feel better. Texas has all the tools it needs to secure Rogers' commitment, which he admitted could come later this month. It just needs to use them properly.

Edited by satyanash

For some perspective in terms of number of committed recruits for teams ranked in the top 50 in recruiting:

Avg # of committed recruits:  15

High:  22 (Michigan, Minnesota)

Low:  7 (Texas)

Pre-season Top 10 teams # of commits:

Clemson:  18

Bama:  20

tOSU:  19

UGA:  14

OU:  14

Michigan:  22

LSU:  20

Florida:  17

Texas:  7

ND:  16

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Fridays in the Scoopidor

Reveal hidden contents

By: Justin and Joe

As the temperature heats up this summer, so does college recruiting in the state of Texas. This UT class has the potential for Top 5-10 status, but certain things need to line up, and negative recruiting pitches must be overcome.

Schools have always found ways to trash Texas on the trail. When they were 6-6, the insults weren’t as loud, because they didn’t need to be. But after a 10-win season, B12 Championship appearance, and Sugar Bowl win, those barbs from opposing coaches become louder and more direct.

By the time the Stars at Night camp in late July is here, a handful of UT targets will likely have made their decision public - Prince Dorbah, Vernon Broughton, Chris Thompson, Chad Lindberg, Jahari Rogers, and Lathan Ransom. Texas will win some, and lose some. Fresh off the dead period, the staff always brings the energy when the invite-only camp happens to host some of the state’s best. I expect a nice turnout, with some nice 2020s in attendance, not to mention the C/O 2021. It’ll be an opportunity for some of that momentum the program needs.

Next up is Texas-LSU weekend. There will be a row of five-star talent ready to attend this rumble. Texas proving itself worthy with a defeat of the Bayou Bengals would help generate momentum.

As for today, Texas still looks solid with some of its key guys, but they’ve got work to do with others. Nothing that can’t be fixed or overcome over the next six months.

STATE OF RECRUITING

— Johnny Wilson and Hudson Card. This last week was big for those two. The fact they got to bond during The Opening/Elite 11 is why we’re adamant about what Card’s trying to do behind the scenes. Wilson loved Texas, and getting close to Card was a benefit that hopefully bears fruit in December.

— Bijan Robinson wants to decide soon or wait longer? At first, he was talking about a mid-summer pledge. Now, he might be backing off that timeline. This benefits UT. Robinson is in the “show me something this season” mode, which is perfectly normal. The longer his recruitment drags out, the better chance Texas has. If it’s soon, it’s probably tOSU.

— Vernon Broughton’s decision could be as soon as next week. Or he could take longer after he sits down with his family to weigh his options - Texas, Ohio State, Texas A&M. I see it as 50/50 UT/A&M right now where the pendulum could swing at any moment. The fact the Texas women's basketball program is looking at his sister (Asia, 2021) has to help in some regard. Broughton mentioned their mother’s desire for them to be close to each other. Coaches are confident on both sides, which often means neither really knows. Hell, Vernon may not know yet.

— Stay the course with Jase McClellan. This season might determine his flip factor. Texas continues to do work with McClellan and his mother, Mia, behind the scenes. The more quiet this recruitment, the more likely Texas can turn the corner. He also wants to see the Horns’ success in 2019.

— Chad Lindberg might visit later this summer. He’s trending Texas right now, and a decision likely happens before fall camp. Lindberg was poised to commit during his OV to Austin, but decided to slow down and take his officials. I wouldn’t be surprised if he announced his future program soon.

— Bryson Washington committed to OU. The depth chart at Texas was a little intimidating, but I wouldn’t put it past him to visit Austin this fall. Recruit through the whistle here. Who else?

Texas could be looking at Christian Gonzalez and Jerrin Thompson if Washington falls completely through. I know Xavion Alford is leaning Alabama, and hear they’d take him now. The beauty of this is Gonzalez and Thompson are both play-makers with intangibles and underrated athleticism.

— What about Len’Neth Whitehead? The 2020 linebacker from Georgia offered praise to Todd Orlando at The Opening and said his ability to put linebackers in the league appealed to him. He also mentioned Texas is giving him the option to play RB in addition to LB. He has no problem with leaving the southeast if he feels at home on campus, and mentioned South Carolina, Georgia, Texas, Tennessee, Georgia Tech, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma as schools currently on him. He talks to Orlando every week, and plans to make an official visit to UT.

JAHARI ROGERS

One of the more surprising things coming out of The Opening was the amount of buzz for Florida surrounding 2020 Arlington CB Jahari Rogers.

Florida has been a school that's showed him plenty of interest and has an appealing sell for defensive backs. They are one of several schools that claims to be DBU, and have in recent history been a good place for DBs.

The buzz came about in part because of answers given by Rogers in multiple interviews. He called Florida's DB coach "second to none" and named Florida's strength coach as "the best" when speaking with Inside Texas, and likely said similar things to Florida media during check-in. The fact that coach Gray (UF’s DB coach) came to Jason Washington a few years ago and asked how he got three-star William Jackson (UH) drafted in the first round seems like a point the Rogers should be made aware of.

That in turn lead to several forecasts of Rogers to UF.

Rogers was adamant he has yet to make a decision, even questioning those Florida rumors about himself. "I've been hearing people say I'm going to Florida, but we'll see. The process is not over and I could pop (a commitment) so unexpectedly, people will be like 'what?'"

We've learned the reason for those predictions wasn't in response to any sort of word Rogers gave to Florida that he was coming.

Despite the high praise he offered Florida ("It's just different") and the muted responses he gave about Texas ("I got a lot of good answers that I needed"), nothing leads us to believe Texas still isn't in front here.

That isn't to say that Florida hasn't made up ground in this recruitment, they're a strong finalist and Rogers even said as much. Other factors like prior relationships, coach Washington, and Texas' efforts on his official visit have us thinking what we wrote earlier this week: Florida should feel good, Texas should feel better.

Texas has all the tools it needs to secure Rogers' commitment, which he admitted could come later this month. It just needs to use them properly.

Does Asia actually have any d1 offers yet, from Texas specifically?

4 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

For some perspective in terms of number of committed recruits for teams ranked in the top 50 in recruiting:

Avg # of committed recruits:  15

High:  22 (Michigan, Minnesota)

Low:  7 (Texas)

Pre-season Top 10 teams # of commits:

Clemson:  18

Bama:  20

tOSU:  19

UGA:  14

OU:  14

Michigan:  22

LSU:  20

Florida:  17

Texas:  7

ND:  16

Yikes, this context makes it seem worse than I thought 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The Texas coaching staff seems to be wrongly optimistic more often than other school staffs. Either they can’t understand what recruits are telling them, or it’s calculated misinformation to some end. Or the recruiting reporters are making shit up. 

Part of it is probably just that it's the staff we're paying attention to. We don't know or care when, say, Notre Dame or Washington are optimistic about guys.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The Texas coaching staff seems to be wrongly optimistic more often than other school staffs. Either they can’t understand what recruits are telling them, or it’s calculated misinformation to some end. Or the recruiting reporters are making shit up. 

Maybe; Probably; Yes

• Like 1

Let me get this straight, we say all season long that one game isn’t going to impact a recruit’s decision and then expect the Sugar Bowl to have a HUGE impact? 

This team lost to a handful of teams last year that it shouldn’t lose to and barely squeaked by some that shouldn’t have been close. It’s easy for other teams and recruits to discount the Georgia win. Right now, we’re selling potential, which requires a good salesman. We obviously lack good salesmen at key positions.

Texas needs to go out and handily beat teams they should send home crying AND win big games to overcome the current staff. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don't think reporters are making it up. It seems to me that guys like Nahlin/Wells have a direct source in the program, which is why they have been the  most optimistic compared to other sites. Problem is, the coaches are mistaken.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thepop said:

I don't think reporters are making it up. It seems to me that guys like Nahlin/Wells have a direct source in the program, which is why they have been the  most optimistic compared to other sites. Problem is, the coaches are mistaken.

lulz. Nahlin and Wells have been sunshine pumpers since long before Herman got here and they haven’t had shit for sources since Herman got here. They sunshine pump every year. When the staff hit all their targets, like 2018, they look great. When the staff doesn’t they look like fools.

Trying to give them credit for having sources inside the staff is pretty hilarious.

16 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Right now, we’re selling potential, which requires a good salesman. We obviously lack good salesmen at key positions.  Texas needs to go out and handily beat teams they should send home crying AND win big games to overcome the current staff. 

In order to be considered a Top 5 program, No Doubt that Texas needs put up some ass whooping wins in 2019 starting off with La Tech... 

giphy.gif

Don't Speak -- Just Kick Ass Texas!!  🤘

Ahh, the Surly dichotomy.

• 9.95ers don't know shit, are just trying to generate clicks and followers and get more subscriptions, fuck those guys!
  • Oh shit, a new Crystal Ball just came in for Ohio State on one of our supposed leans...our staff is the worst recruiting staff ever! Everyone is trending the wrong direction! We aren't getting anyone and our class is too small on July 5th! 

I am so confused.... 

False_Dichotomy_660x320.png

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I enjoy our July existential crises under Herman much more than under Strong. I think it's because I know we'll have good QB play in the fall.

This is like the 3rd straight July where it appears that the wheels are falling off the bus in terms of recruiting. We really need August to roll around so we can start concentrating on the season.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Gosh I wonder which one it would be.  I mean the article just posted above said its 50-50 between UT and Aggie for Boughton which it may just be, but every other report that's been posted of late seem to indicate its all Aggie including the one with the quotes about the defense he wants to play in.  So either all the articles impling Aggie of late are making shit up or the most recent article saying its 50-50 is bullshit. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Trying to give them credit for having sources inside the staff is pretty hilarious.

Verdad. It's one of the more amusing things about this whole hobby, really -- following recruiting for the casual fan means relying on a constant incoming stream of information which is, for the most part, nothing more than slightly educated guesses on the part of people who have every incentive in the world to present themselves as knowing a helluva lot more than they actually do.

I've actually always been impressed by the fact that a guy like EJ can get actual athletes to talk to him at all. Same thing for Hamm -- Hamm was never really "the best in the business" but the fact that there was ever a point in time when he was even in "the business" at all is, frankly, impressive. Punching well outside his weight class.

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

would broughton play 4i here or nose?  I assume he’d start at end.  do people think he’d eventually become a nose or just a monster 4i in a few years?

I think the general thought was 4i normally and moving inside to Nose in pass rushing situations, but there’s a chance that he gets to 315+ pretty naturally and could play Nose full time.

8 minutes ago, futureman said:

would broughton play 4i here or nose?  I assume he’d start at end.  do people think he’d eventually become a nose or just a monster 4i in a few years?

I thought he would play End..then eventually move inside by year 3

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think the general thought was 4i normally and moving inside to Nose in pass rushing situations, but there’s a chance that he gets to 315+ pretty naturally and could play Nose full time.

I mean it sounds he knows he’s gonna get bigger.  too big to play 4-3 end in the league, but not necessarily end in the 3-4.  so I don’t get it when I read that 4-3 end is a big part of him wanting to go to aggy when he’d just become a tackle.  he could be 305 and playing end here, and be a hell of a prospect at end for a 3-4 defense in the NFL. 

3 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Damn man, what was our recruiting pitch to Washington to where he was like, "oh okay, I'll go play for the shittiest defense on the planet where they tell you that none of their players are NFL worthy that's awesome man hell yah"?

probably it was just one page of the depth chart at Safety

• Jr: 3* Brown
  • So: 5* Stearns, 5* Foster, 4* Overshown, 4* Estell
  • Fr: 4* Watson, 4* Adimora, 4* Owens

Versus OU's Depth Chart which was this actual page

PaperBurnt0006_2_350.jpgPaperBurnt0006_2_350.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

I mean it sounds he knows he’s gonna get bigger.  too big to play 4-3 end in the league, but not necessarily end in the 3-4.  so I don’t get it when I read that 4-3 end is a big part of him wanting to go to aggy when he’d just become a tackle.  he could be 305 and playing end here, and be a hell of a prospect at end for a 3-4 defense in the NFL. 

Yep. 4i in our scheme is probably his ideal fit and would let him still rush the edge some, where as in a 4-3, he won’t be playing any end, which is why hearing stuff about aggy’s scheme winning out is such a joke.

They just recruit DL better.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep. 4i in our scheme is probably his ideal fit and would let him still rush the edge some, where as in a 4-3, he won’t be playing any end, which is why hearing stuff about aggy’s scheme winning out is such a joke.

They just recruit DL better.

It's not just that but the pitch of SEC owning the draft every year.  They use the air raid offenses of the Big 12 and lack of DL draft picks against UT.  However once Texas competes for CFP births and have DL actually get drafted on day 1 or 2 it will change.  Hoping some kids want to take that risk instead of signing elsewhere until it happens. Coburn was such as huge signing.  Collins is another that is a MUST

22 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

It's not just that but the pitch of SEC owning the draft every year.  They use the air raid offenses of the Big 12 and lack of DL draft picks against UT.  However once Texas competes for CFP births and have DL actually get drafted on day 1 or 2 it will change.  Hoping some kids want to take that risk instead of signing elsewhere until it happens. Coburn was such as huge signing.  Collins is another that is a MUST

None of that matters as long as we are getting out-recruited to this extent.

People are focusing way too much on the sales pitches they think are swaying the recruits. 

Let me get this straight, we say all season long that one game isn’t going to impact a recruit’s decision and then expect the Sugar Bowl to have a HUGE impact? 
This team lost to a handful of teams last year that it shouldn’t lose to and barely squeaked by some that shouldn’t have been close. It’s easy for other teams and recruits to discount the Georgia win. Right now, we’re selling potential, which requires a good salesman. We obviously lack good salesmen at key positions.
Texas needs to go out and handily beat teams they should send home crying AND win big games to overcome the current staff. 

Second season coach and 2 bowl wins over 2 sec teams including a major bowl win, beats rival (ou) and all this with a sophomore QB and a o-line that was assembled from left over parts.

There is a lot to improve upon, but it looks like you want to gripe. So I’ll hang up while you post some “they’re still shitty” pictures.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

What would be the feeling on here if Texas lands Collins and Umanmielen, but Broughton goes aggy??

Collins is far and away the best of these 3 players and would be a great compliment in the rolling classes of 2019 and 2021. He's the prize in this class at DL. Umanmielen would be a bonus, but I don't know that he's ever more than depth at Texas. Maybe the light turns on and he develops into a starter in year 4 and 5, but I think he'd be a career depth guy. Broughton is going to aggy and I have no problem with that. He's the worst of the 3 right now on the field and would only contribute here if he bought into playing DT,  being a disrupter and then made huge strides in his technique. Not only do I not think he can rush the passer as a DE, I have SERIOUS concerns about him keeping contain/setting the edge at DE, esp in the BigXII where OCs make a living working the DEs over. 

TLDR: I want Collins and any way we get him is fine by me. The other 2 aren't going to change the roster enough for me to lose sleep over. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Does anyone have any opinions on Logan-Redding? Given how often he's visited, it seems like he might be filling one of the slots.

Maybe he's this years Myron Warren that ends up a 4* and cause an epic aggy meltdown and BOMC talk.

Should be noted he was one of the earliest DL offers for this class.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd