Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

There have been many rumors floating around that Jahari is a Florida lean. By the way he talks about the program, it is not too hard to see why: “It’s just different. Being there the vibe among a whole bunch of great players… It’s just different. The DB coach, coach Gray, is second to none and Coach Samples is the best strength and conditioning coach. You have to put them in a different category.”

ahem

mcknight_yancy_j1701sp03.jpg?width=1128&

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It needs to be reiterated, even by the Opening's historic standards, these names are fucking idiotic

I find "Team Guap" inspiring.  Makes me want to come up with a whole bunch of other excellent names:

• Team Carl
  • Team Skank
  • Team Fingerblast
  • Team Pope Clement VII
  • Team Licorice
  • Team Purple Nurple
  • Team Marco
  • Team Polo
  • Team Tom Hanks is Forrest Gump
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Are these kids not growing up singing the Texas anthem in elementary school anymore? Where is the Texas pride?

Considering all of the top players looking to be trending to A&M, I don't think that is the problem. 

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

SIAP but apparently Jahari Rogers is moving back his commitment date? Was originally meant for July 4th, now being shifted back to late July.

TFB still thinks Florida leads, fwiw.

Washington's is set for the 4th. Never heard Rogers mentioned with that date. 

I think this is how it's sorting out at the moment.  If so, that would give us 10-11 of the top 35 in the state.  Not bad, but should be a good bit better.  We're going to have to hit on a number of OOS prospects again if things don't change.

Dorbah - Trending Texas

CTJ - Trending Texas

Lindberg - Trending Texas

Collins - Trending Texas

Q. Johnson - Who knows?

Rogers - Trending UF

Washington - Trending OU

Robinson - Trending tOSU

Ransom - Trending tOSU

Ringo - Trending UGA

Cooper - Trending tOSU

Broughton - Trending A&M

Alford - Trending Bama

Umanmielen - Trending A&M

Achane - Trending A&M

10 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

I think this is how it's sorting out at the moment.  If so, that would give us 10-11 of the top 35 in the state.  Not bad, but should be a good bit better.  We're going to have to hit on a number of OOS prospects again if things don't change.

Dorbah - Trending Texas

CTJ - Trending Texas

Collins - Trending Texas

Q. Johnson - Who knows?

Rogers - Trending UF

Washington - Trending OU

Robinson - Trending tOSU

Ransom - Trending tOSU

Ringo - Trending UGA

Cooper - Trending tOSU

Broughton - Trending A&M

Alford - Trending Bama

Achane - Trending A&M

The thing missing is that we're #2 for almost every single guy on the bottom part of the list, and that is pretty fucking awesome. I can't remember the last time Texas was in the top 2 for so many national prospects. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Dorbah - Trending Texas
CTJ - Trending Texas
Collins - Trending Texas

Q. Johnson - Who knows?

Rogers - Trending UF
Washington - Trending OU
Robinson - Trending tOSU
Ransom - Trending tOSU
Ringo - Trending UGA
Cooper - Trending tOSU
Broughton - Trending A&M
Alford - Trending Bama
Achane - Trending A&M

I’m going to pump just a small bit of sunshine here. This year’s recruiting approach seems a little different from previous years. In a typical year, you put a fair number of guys in play and you know many will go elsewhere just due to the class size limits.

With a very limited class size this year, I feel like Texas hasn’t put as many players in play. The numbers may say different, but it feels like we’ve purposely stuck to the cream of the crop longer than last year. The thinking is that we have a very good roster right now and need the elite talent to put us over the top. The staff didn’t want to settle. Well now that several of the elite players like Robinson look like they are headed elsewhere, I think some new names pop up starting in September. They have to have a plan B, right? Right?

15 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m going to pump just a small bit of sunshine here. This year’s recruiting approach seems a little different from previous years. In a typical year, you put a fair number of guys in play and you know many will go elsewhere just due to the class size limits.

With a very limited class size this year, I feel like Texas hasn’t put as many players in play. The numbers may say different, but it feels like we’ve purposely stuck to the cream of the crop longer than last year. The thinking is that we have a very good roster right now and need the elite talent to put us over the top. The staff didn’t want to settle. Well now that several of the elite players like Robinson look like they are headed elsewhere, I think some new names pop up starting in September. They have to have a plan B, right? Right?

<cough>bullshit!<cough>

Our recruiting failures this year are not because we're are forced into being super fucking selective due to limited ships. We could probably take as many as 23 if we wanted. This year sucks because we STILL can't fucking close our top targets at RB, DL, and LB for the third consecutive year. This is a running fucking theme. We do not need additional data points to tell us that Giles, Drayton, and Orlando cannot fucking close. We've settled for plan B at each of these positions for three years running, with the exception of Ingram. I love where this program is headed, and absolutely trust our coaches ability to "coach up" these high-three and low-four star backup plans. But christ almighty I'm tired of getting repeatedly kicked in the dick recruiting these three positions. 

Edit: And I have no clue why people all of the sudden think we're "trending" with Collins. afaik, nothing has changed. This is a guy that should have been the first dude to commit to Texas. And yet, he keeps waiting. That doesn't give me a lot of confidence. 

Edited by irishtexan
  • Like 1

Just now, irishtexan said:

We've settled for plan B at each of these positions for three years running

Small point of contention: I think we did as well as we could have last year at LB. Lakia Henry had all the makings of an SEC auction and I don't blame the staff for that, especially since they found another JUCO to play this season (plus Mitchell).

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

<cough>bullshit!<cough>

Our recruiting failures this year are not because we're are forced into being super fucking selective due to limited ships. We could probably take as many as 23 if we wanted. This year sucks because we STILL can't fucking close our top targets at RB, DL, and LB for the third consecutive year. This is a running fucking theme. We do not need additional data points to tell us that Giles, Drayton, and Orlando cannot fucking close. We've settled for plan B at each of these positions for three years running, with the exception of Ingram. I love where this program is headed, and absolutely trust our coaches ability to "coach up" these high-three and low-four star backup plans. But christ almighty I'm tired of getting repeatedly kicked in the dick recruiting these three positions. 

The state is producing some amazing top end talent this year including the best WR prospect we have seen in over a decade and the best RB prospect we have seen since Adrian Petersen. Texas is also loaded on the defensive line this year. Nationally, the RB position is fucking stacked this year. If we do not land a blue chip RB it's a Texas problem. 

Linebacker I am willing to forgive considering there just is not a lot of talent to choose from. 

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

We can take a full class pretty much every year because Herman will would process out his own mother if he thought he could replace her with a better recruit. 

Also I wonder how many other programs have their worst or second worst recruiter coaching RBs. That's some fucking MENSA shit right there. 

Just now, Newy25 said:

The state is producing some amazing top end talent this year including the best WR prospect we have seen in over a decade and the best RB prospect we have seen since Adrian Petersen. Texas is also loaded on the defensive line this year. Nationally, the RB position is fucking stacked this year. If we do not land a blue chip RB it's a Texas problem. 

Linebacker I am willing to forgive considering there just is not a lot of talent to choose from.  

We're just not going to participate in those kind of auction recruitments unless something fundamental changes, and you know that.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

We're just not going to participate in those kind of auction recruitments unless something fundamental changes, and you know that.

I was bashed on this board for suggesting  the Evans recruitment was not above board. Is it now dirty because he eliminated Texas from his list? 

It's still a Texas problem if elite players do not choose to play here no matter what the issue is. 

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm genuinely curious if Demas was straight up bought, or if that's just what a bunch of us tell ourselves  because that's easier to believe than we just got whipped by aggy. 

Edited by irishtexan

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Not arguing, because this is definitely correct. But how did we land those kinds of guys back when Mack was here? Was the "market" for top 10 prospects not as intense as it is now or did we use to play ball more? 

Edited by trythisathome

26 minutes ago, sidis said:

had floyd not ended up being a bizarro story, i would have been totally good with the lb crew last year.

LB just depends on the staff evaluations and Orlando's ability to develop, teach (great previous history in this area but I think he has been lacking at Texas)

none of the top Big 12 linebackers were highly recruited and few of the top 2019 NFL drafted linebackers were highly ranked as LBers during recruiting

Edited by pacman

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Our 995'ers should do a better job of directly calling these out early in the process.

21 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I was bashed on this board for suggesting  the Evans recruitment was not above board. Is it now dirty because he eliminated Texas from his list? 

It's still a Texas problem if elite players do not choose to play here no matter what the issue is. 

He just added us back onto his list, buddy. So, no. 

• Haha 1