Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

On November 30th, when Texas is 12-0 and playing OU for the Big 12 Championship, and A&M is 8-4 and in third place in the SEC West and headed to the Texas bowl to play TCU, to whom they will eventually lose, I will be feeling better about recruiting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting -- Farrell says Horns lead

Lavon Bunkley-Shelton – Texas -- He has some academic hurdles ahead of him and could have to go the JUCO route, but I think he signs with Texas over Washington. Watch out for USC if the Trojans decide to recruit him as a wide receiver as they want him as a defensive back right now.

https://247sports.com/player/lv-bunkley-shelton-46037808/

I hope for his sake he figures out the academics, and for our sake he comes to Texas. LV dominated the 1v1s last week at the Rivals event. Too much shake, but the lateral quickness and sticky hands put him in the top tier of WRs in that drill.

11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

To let the NCAA know this is going on? Like when the NCAA knew that Auburn paid Cam Newton $250k and did nothing. 

Image result for c'mon man gif

It's better than sitting down and just taking it. We can't keep losing players like Demas, Ringo, Leal, etc. without putting up some type of fight. Either start playing the game or call them the fuck out. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

It's better than sitting down and just taking it. We can't keep losing players like Demas, Ringo, Leal, etc. without putting up some type of fight. Either start playing the game or call them the fuck out. 

UT's living the Public Ivy recruiting paradigm with Michigan and Washington. Is what it is until the boosters see the program differently.

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Where's the guy who wants us to form some sort of underground spy network to expose all the cheaters. That guy knew what was up. 

Counter Sub-Counter Espionage as originally developed and espoused by Dollar Bill Byrne. Classic move.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting -- Farrell says Horns lead

Lavon Bunkley-Shelton – Texas -- He has some academic hurdles ahead of him and could have to go the JUCO route, but I think he signs with Texas over Washington. Watch out for USC if the Trojans decide to recruit him as a wide receiver as they want him as a defensive back right now.

https://247sports.com/player/lv-bunkley-shelton-46037808/

Yeah so interesting. Also says he’s probably juco and if he’s not and sc wants him he’ll go there.  It’s not really a positive blurb for Texas. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah so interesting. Also says he’s probably juco and if he’s not and sc wants him he’ll go there.  It’s not really a positive blurb for Texas. 

USC commits/top targets can probably be had this year 

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

UT's living the Public Ivy recruiting paradigm with Michigan and Washington

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

And Notre Dame

Texas can and should out recruit all of these schools every year for the sheer proximity to Texas high schools. When we start losing Texas blue chips to public ivys, then we have a problem.

1 hour ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

What’s the consensus on Farrell and his predictions?  Is he pretty solid or just another 9.95er throwing shit out there?

IT and Farrell both agree that Bryson Washington will choose blOU.

Other than that, IT is more bullish than Rivals (as they've always been so far this cycle).

I hope they pan out but Majors always felt like a quick take to me. He continues to perform poorly in these camp settings. Hopefully it's just a strength issue. 

DL always outperform OL at these camps, it's the nature of the drills. When you see a DL just go around an OL in no pads, with no help, to a stationary target that isn't getting rid of a ball in 2-3 seconds, it isn't that big of a deal. No play recognition involved. No pads. DL is just getting to the bag. Of course DL has the inherent advantage there.

I do have some concern that Majors tends to get run through at these events. He is clearly at a significant strength disadvantage against high caliber DL talent. He is a project. Fortunately the OL has built the requisite depth to lock him in the weight room for 2-3 years before ever stepping on the field, but that is what will be required.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OG/DT matchups are silly. How often does a DT know exactly which OL will be blocking him, that it will only be 1 and not a double, and there not be any other linemen around to impede progress to stationary target that is set up before the drill starts?

at least with OT/DE you see one on one in space during games. 

Honestly Majors seems like the type that is an alright take but is unlikely to ever be an impact starter. He'll need time to adjust and I think there's a good chance he gets recruited over during that period, if Hand develops and recruits like we expect. Like a Tope Imade (they're like opposite players, I just mean in terms of the career arc I'm expecting). I think EJ Rodriguez would be a solid outcome for him.

I like Parr because of how shallow we are at C and his potential there

That said I don't know shit about OL, those are just my impressions that I thought I'd put on the record

Just now, Bodacious Bevo said:

Honestly Majors seems like the type that is an alright take but is unlikely to ever be an impact starter. He'll need time to adjust and I think there's a good chance he gets recruited over during that period, if Hand develops and recruits like we expect. Like a Tope Imade (they're like opposite players, I just mean in terms of the career arc I'm expecting). I think EJ Rodriguez would be a solid outcome for him.

I like Parr because of how shallow we are at C and his potential there

That said I don't know shit about OL, those are just my impressions that I thought I'd put on the record

Majors will be the center, and Parr will be a guard 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Majors is Dom Espinosa.  He is going to get pushed around badly if he has to play early, but by the time he is a senior we will be sorry that he is out for the year after 1 game.

Days of playing OL early here will be over by the time he is on campus unless someone is special and injuries allow it. We are now set to have a healthy program OL where 95% of snaps are had by 3rd to 6th year players.

18 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Like a Tope Imade (they're like opposite players, I just mean in terms of the career arc I'm expecting).

In an ideal universe, this would be the first year where anybody even thought about expecting something from Imade. A redshirt junior OL? Yeah, let's see what he can do.

Did I mention FMB?

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

In an ideal universe, this would be the first year where anybody even thought about expecting something from Imade. A redshirt junior OL? Yeah, let's see what he can do.

Did I mention FMB?

Yeah it's nice we're finally to this point. I just used him as an example since he's already been passed up by Angilau. The guys in this class are facing the same situation with all the talent in 2021. That said if Tope Imade is your 4th best OL in a recruiting class, it's probably a pretty good class. 

21 minutes ago, Fud said:

Majors will be the center, and Parr will be a guard 

Welp

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What is the worst moment in recruiting we’ve had since Strong took over, not including his first class scramble in January 2014? There were a few low points last year before out of state picked up.

Honestly? This might be it. Chaison was a huge kick to the dick, but year 3 after a sugar bowl beatdown of Georgia, and us still scrambling and fucking up low hanging recruitments, failing to recruit at key positions, some of our OL performing poorly at camps or gaining weight and not even committing, etc. We've basically already melted down for Broughton and Robinson, but honestly I think we'll melt down again and that will be the low point. 

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What is the worst moment in recruiting we’ve had since Strong took over, not including his first class scramble in January 2014? There were a few low points last year before out of state picked up.

Leal was a kick in the nuts.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think Parr can play center.

He probably can as was frequently mentioned when he first committed, but Majors is probably the center prospect of the class, and then James Brock the next year

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

walker_in_home.0.jpeg

Honestly, sitting through 13 minutes (and three or four different entire songs) of Walker Little pee-wee football highlights, only to hear him commit to Stanford is not on my Mt. Rushmore of life moments.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3