Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Mike Roach: Oklahoma commit Jase McClellan discusses Texas visit, interest

FRISCO, Texas — Jase McClellan had the honor of attending The Opening in 2018. The five-star running back from Aledo is back for a second year, and he just wants to improve on the numbers he posted last time. “It’s just coming here to prove myself and try to get the same results I had last year, and probably better,” McClellan said. “Testing and 7v7 included.” McClellan plays things pretty low-key. He’s an intense competitor on Friday nights, but at this camp, he just wants to make some new friends. “I’m just looking forward to meeting new people,” he said. “I want to play with my teammates and create new bonds.”

McClellan visited Texas officially a few weeks ago. The Oklahoma commit has been a part of the Sooner class for more than a year. He said he enjoyed his trip to Texas, especially the time he got to spend with the coaching staff. “It went great,” he said. “I got to spend some time with the coaches. I was with all of them and just showed them who I am as a person.” So where do things stand with McClellan and his commitment? He said he still considers himself a strong commit, but he wants to evaluate all of his options. “Yeah that’s what I’m doing,” he said. “Just looking at all my options and my top schools. My commitment is still strong.”

Why did Texas get one of his looks? McClellan is cousins with former Longhorn Johnathan Gray, and he said the program is appealing to him. “It’s just the program,” he said. “They said they’re coming back up, so I just wanted to see that.” McClellan plans to return to Texas during the fall to take in a game. He said he hasn’t planned any other visits at this time. At 5-foot-10, 201 pounds, McClellan is ranked as the No. 5 running back in the nation and No. 3 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

7 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

Troy Omeire with a Tom Brady-esque 40. No way he broke 5.0 on this run. 

Jesus Christ that guy is slow. Did they ever report the time? 

That reminded me of Chris Whaley lining up in track to race the 100M in high school. 

• Haha 1

Who is coaching safeties for Bama these days? I'm pretty surprised that Saban is going to take Alford this early. I'm glad either way, as I'm not high on him. Even if Texas whiffs on Washington, I'm fine with Thompson and a good evaluation in the fall on a lesser known. Obviously, my fantasy is LR/CT/BW and my hope is CT/BW. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Who is coaching safeties for Bama these days? I'm pretty surprised that Saban is going to take Alford this early. I'm glad either way, as I'm not high on him. Even if Texas whiffs on Washington, I'm fine with Thompson and a good evaluation in the fall on a lesser known. Obviously, my fantasy is LR/CT/BW and my hope is CT/BW. 

Charles Kelly (former FSU DC) is the safeties coach, Karl Scott is the area recruiter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Jesus Christ that guy is slow. Did they ever report the time? 

That reminded me of Chris Whaley lining up in track to race the 100M in high school. 

Comically, on this very thread as recently as a few weeks ago, some posters were admonishing the rest of us for being fine with Omeire going elsewhere. I was told on multiple occasions by other posters that the "Omeire is slow" narrative was something that I'd manufactured and we would all be super pumped to have a top 100 guy in the fold. 

That dude runs like a blocking TE, at best.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Comically, on this very thread as recently as a few weeks ago, some posters were admonishing the rest of us for being fine with Omeire going elsewhere. I was told on multiple occasions by other posters that the "Omeire is slow" narrative was something that I'd manufactured and we would all be super pumped to have a top 100 guy in the fold. 

One of the biggest laughs at the Rivals rankings is having Omeire about 100 spots higher than JQJ.

SIAP

The Stampede: Intel on Texas targets from The Opening Finals

I want to start off this week’s edition The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly recruiting insider notes packages, with where things stand between Texas and Calabasas (Calif.) five-star wide receiver Johnny Wilson. I spoke with Wilson on Sunday at check-in for The Opening Finals at The Star in Frisco, and it sounds like Texas made quite an impression on him. In speaking with sources around Wilson, it sounds like Texas is close to even with Oregon for his services. The Longhorns entered the summer needing to gain ground, and they have at this point. A good reason for that is De'Gabriel Floyd. The two are friends, and Wilson spent extended time with Floyd in Austin after the visit. I heard previously that Wilson’s family was looking to leave California, and they were interested in moving wherever Johnny chose to go to school. Wilson confirmed that news during our interview. Wilson will take an unofficial visit to Oregon in July when the dead period lifts, and he will also take officials during the season. I’m still not ready to put in a Crystal Ball pick for Texas, but I come out of the weekend thinking that Wilson to the Longhorns isn’t an unreasonable scenario.

— Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic running back Bijan Robinson isn’t in Frisco for The Opening Finals, but I did have the chance to speak to a few sources regarding the five-star prospect. There was some buzz last week that Ohio State was the favorite to land him and the Buckeyes were in a commanding position. From what I gathered, Ohio State may have a slight edge for Robinson, but I was told that it was very close. Texas is right in the mix, and I’ve heard that Robinson could potentially delay a decision.

— Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic safety Lathan Ransom is coming off of an official visit to Ohio State. Despite the vibe that the Buckeyes are now the heavy favorite, I’m told that no silent commitment has been made. With that said, I don’t have any reason to believe Texas is in the lead position for the four-star safety. The Longhorns generated some momentum with him during June, but it sounds like the Buckeyes are probably in the best position to land him.

— C.E. King safety Bryson Washington isn’t in attendance at The Opening, but I was able to speak with some sources regarding his recruitment. Right now, there’s a considerable amount of confidence coming from both Texas and Oklahoma. I’ve heard things this weekend which make me think that Washington is trying to keep his decision a mystery. This has always been a Texas vs. Oklahoma battle, and I can tell you that sources on both sides are baffled by their opponent’s confidence.

— Duncanville four-star safety Chris Thompson Jr. is looking at making a decision within the next month. He’s still sorting through his favorites, but it sounds like Texas is still at the top along with Ohio State and Auburn. Thompson seems in no rush to make that decision, but he did say that Texas four-star commit and his Duncanville teammate Ja’Quinden Jackson is in his ear every day.

— I spoke on the record with Aledo running back Jase McClellan, and the Oklahoma commit is saying all of the right things I also spoke with a few sources near McClellan, and I’m told that he’s seriously evaluating all options. I was told that Alabama and Texas are the only schools that would be able to pull him away from his commitment to the Sooners. There’s a long way to go in this one, but Texas appears to be a team in position to benefit if McClellan chooses to open his recruitment.

— There’s obviously been a lot of scuttlebutt regarding Florida and four-star cornerback Jahari Rogers. As I’ve said from the beginning, Florida has always been a legitimate threat for Rogers, and they’ve pushed Texas very hard. Coming out of his official visit, I was told that it was close but Texas seemed to have the lead. After checking on the Florida buzz, I haven’t heard much that convinces me otherwise. Rogers is looking to take some time with the process and make a decision before the season. We’ll keep looking into this in case anything changes.

— St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic athlete Mookie Cooper said he intends to take his official visits this fall. He also said it was nothing about Texas that made him decommit, he just wanted to be sure he was making the right decision. Right now, the buzz appears to be on Ohio State to land the speedy receiver. At times, Cooper’s recruitment has been all over the map. After Texas there were predictions he’d land at Illinois, Miami, or even USC. Still, I think Texas has ground to make up, but I don’t think it’s impossible. Cooper would like to take his official visit during the LSU game, so Texas could possibly win him back with a great win and killer visit.

— Alabama is starting to trend for four-star Alvin Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford. I checked around, and it sounds like that report has some legs. With that said, Alford has been undecided and different schools became hot names for him during the spring. Alford said he wants to take his official visit to Texas for the LSU game, and he still holds the Longhorns in high regard.

— Upland (Calif.) linebacker Justin Flowe didn’t make it in to Frisco for check-in, but I spoke with a few sources about him as well. Flowe talked multiple times about visiting Texas, but the sources I spoke with said it was an extreme longshot for the Longhorns to land the five-star linebacker.

— I spoke briefly with Las Vegas (Nev.) Desert Pines athlete Darnell Washington during check-in. It doesn’t sound like much is going on between Texas and Washington. The Longhorns checked on him during the spring, but Washington said he hasn’t had much contact. For now, I wouldn’t consider him a target.

— Galena Park North Shore running back Zachary Evans and Houston Cy Ridge defensive lineman Vernon Broughton did not make it in for check-in. I’m told by staff at The Opening that Broughton will likely come in today before testing. We were unable to catch up with either prospect, and we’ll speak with them if they arrive.

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

that fact that he remains a 4* is a fucking riot. I'm glad I got to see that vid before that troglodyte Brauninger took it down because it's wasn't just how fucking slow he was -- it was the struggle for forward momentum. dude was fighting with himself and losing. just brutal. so funny. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

that fact that he remains a 4* is a fucking riot. I'm glad I got to see that vid before that troglodyte Brauninger took it down because it's wasn't just how fucking slow he was -- it was the struggle for forward momentum. dude was fighting with himself and losing. just brutal. so funny. 

On the bright side, I think he could spin down to be a pretty good DT for somebody. Wouldn't at all mind having him at Texas as a developmental prospect to line up as a run stopper.

Edited by Walden Ponderer
(Yes, my tongue is in my cheek.)

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Totally. Glad I posted it before it got taken down. 

The Inside Scoop - 7/1/19

By: Joe Cook and Justin Wells

Hanging out in Frisco during the Elite 11 and The Opening festivities. Talking to top targets and dishing out more recruiting intel in the Scoop.

NOTES FROM ELITE 11 and OPENING

- Five-star Johnny Wilson echoed our prose from the Humidor; Texas made a tremendous impression on his family, who would to move to Austin if Johnny inked with the good guys. Oregon still looms, but the best part about this week is Wilson teaming with UT commit, Hudson Card, in the 7on7 tournament portion. He’s a priority for Card, who says it didn’t take long for his personal competitive streak to come out and loves the competition. Card also finished second after day two at the Elite 11.

— Jase McClellan is here and ready to soak up the competition. The Aledo five-star and OU pledge is keeping his options open, despite being solid to the Sooners. Texas and Alabama are still in heavy pursuit, with an OV to Tuscaloosa when the Tide host LSU. He’ll see Austin again, maybe in late July. This recruitment has been kept relatively quiet. The longer it stays that way, the better odds I give Texas on the flippability scale. Joe has quotes in his portion.

— At least Bryson Washington has an announcement date, unlike most other Texas top targets. The C. E. King four-star safety is set to decide on July 4th. How festive. It’s down to an old-fashioned Red River Shootout. I think he chooses OU, but I also strongly believe there will be more visits in this recruitment this fall.

— What about the Vernon Broughton? Well, while most invitees showed up on Sunday, he was enjoying the beach life with the family. He’ll arrive today during testing and measurements. My only question for the four-star defensive end from Cy-Ridge is ‘which school offers you the most from top to bottom?’ His answer will give us some insight.

— Mookie Cooper still likes Texas. Mookie Cooper still chats with Drew Mehringer and Bryan Carrington. Mookie loves keeping up with former teammate Marcus Washington. Mookie will probably visit Austin for Texas/LSU. Mookie will also sign with Ohio State.

— Texas is in Lathan Ransom’s final three - Ohio State, Notre Dame, UT - and I expect a decision relatively soon, probably before his senior year starts. The Buckeyes would be my guess.

— UT’s Sam Ehlinger was one of the Elite 11 counselors over the weekend. He won the pro-day throwing competition, then worked on mechanics with one of the E11 instructors. Anything to compete at. Anything to improve on.

We’ll have more from Frisco throughout the week. Of note, it’s July 1st and the sky still isn’t falling. This month lines up well with the Horns, who need a boost of momentum. You could see Chris Thompson, Prince Dorbah, Bryson Washington, Jahari Rogers, Vernon Broughton, and Chad Lindberg make their decisions over the next few weeks. UT will get some, miss on others, but stay the course. We’re six months from NSD.

JJ HESTER

While Texas continues its nationwide search for its wide receiver takes in 2020, one name remains a possibility in the Booker T. Washington (Tulsa, OK) four-star. Hester made a trip to Austin for Junior Day in late February and left with an offer. Then he dropped a Top 10 in March with Georgia, Michigan, and UT making the list. The Horns have been keeping tabs on the 6-foot-3 pass-catcher. “Texas, Baylor, and Missouri are recruiting me the hardest right now,” said Hester. “(Texas) just felt like a place I could call home and my relationship with my coach (Mehringer) and what he does.”

What is Hester looking for in his future program? Comfort with the program, and a place that's "Going to make me a better person on and off the field." He’s working on setting up an official visit to Austin this fall. If UT pushes, I think they can get him. I know Johnny Wilson and Quentin Johnston are the priorities but Hester is one name to remember.

DAMION COLLINS (basketball)

The Atlanta (TX) native has gotten a lot of attention this summer. At 6-foot-6, the four-star small forward for the C/O 2021 is no longer under the radar. Texas, Oklahoma State, OU, USC, and Baylor are among his suitors. He took an UOV to Austin last weekend. “(Smart) pushes his players to be great,” says Collins, about UT. “I really liked the school. The program is really nice and facilities are fantastic. I’m looking for a school that has great academics and that fits my style of play.” What is his style of play? “Nothing special,” Collins said humbly. “I just play hard every time I step onto the court, I play every game like it’s my last. And that's what got me to where I’m at now.”

He’s gaining confidence as he continues to rise in the AAU circuit. Any schools standing out yet? “I have a few stand outs but I haven’t put it out there yet,” said Collins. “I’m going to wait until my junior and senior year.” Soak up as much as you can. Build the best relationships. That’s Collins mission today. And Texas is in a great position.

JOHNNY WILSON

Once again, Drew Mehringer is looking to try to pull another highly-touted wideout from California. Calabasas' Johnny Wilson is the target this time, and if Texas wasn't one of his strongest contenders following a visit to Austin, the Longhorns made sure they were in the mix after an unofficial visit where his mother was able to tag along. "Really, it’s just a great town and a great place to be, and the people there are just amazing," Wilson said. "The experience I had at the school the first time I went was amazing. They welcomed me and I just wanted my mom to get that same experience."

Texas has made a concerted effort for top prospects from California over the last two cycles, and was rewarded in the 2018 class with linebacker De'Gabriel Floyd. Though Floyd won't play this season due to stenosis, he shares a longtime connection with Wilson. He and other players were an important part of Wilson's trip to Texas. "Gabe’s my guy," Wilson said. "I’ve known him forever. I also met a couple other guys that were on the team, a lot of the receivers. Got to know what they thought of the program and how they fit into the system. It’s just like everyone there is on the same goal, trying to get to the same goal. Everyone’s just working hard. They tell me it’s a grind over there. I feel like we all connected really quick."

At The Opening, Wilson noted that Texas and Oregon were two of the schools standing out to him most, with Washington and UCLA also showing interest. Though originally in his top five, Wilson said he's "kind of just fell off" with Ohio State. Wilson said he would most likely take an official visit during the season, with his decision likely coming during the upcoming season.

One of the things that has stood out to Wilson, and that Mehringer made apparent to him very quickly, was how well Texas utilizes bigger WRs like Collin Johnson, Lil'Jordan Humphrey, and Malcolm Epps. "When I first started showing interest in Texas, that was his main thing," Wilson said. "He was telling me ‘you know we play big receivers,” and they turned a tight end that was 6-7, 250 into a receiver. Especially for me, that’s been in the air – tight end or receiver -- being able to hear that I will be playing receiver if I go to Texas, that’s big for me."

Wilson also admitted that his family planned to move with him no matter what school he decided on. "My parents and my grandparents, they’ve been wanting to move out of California for the longest." Wilson said. "I think if I did come to Texas, it would give them the opportunity to do what they want as well."

JASE McCLELLAN

The Aledo star and Oklahoma commit is making his second straight appearance at the nation's largest gathering of top high school football talent, and plans to have another strong showing. "Coming here to improve," McClellan said. McClellan, who said his commitment to the Sooners is "still strong" is taking visits in order to make sure he is able to get a look at all his options. Texas recently got a visit, and remains an option for the five-star back. "It went great," McClellan said. "Spent some time with the coaches, just meeting with all of them."

McClellan told IT in May he still wants to see Texas, Georgia, LSU, and Alabama before being completely finished with the process at the Under Armour game in January. After his summer visit, he plans to be back in Austin for a game this fall. Like many recruits, McClellan saw Texas' first good season in several years. What does Texas need to do to be a contender in his recruitment? "They say they're coming back up," McClellan said. "I just want to see it."

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Charles Kelly (former FSU DC) is the safeties coach, Karl Scott is the area recruiter.

Yeah Saban is still heavily involved in DB coaching at Bama too. Here's video of a CB's play broken down by Saban

Just now, EZ$ said:

JQJ and CTJ to LB....problems solved...well, except for D-Line. Any TEs we can turn into DEs?

No you idiot. You spin the CBs down to safety, the safeties down to LBs, the LBs down to DE, and the DEs to nose tackles. Then just spin up your kickers and punters up to CB and you're set to play defense in the Big 12. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

JQJ and CTJ to LB....problems solved...well, except for D-Line. Any TEs we can turn into DEs?

Omeire might be a little slow for a DE but he could probably manage.

I doubt we can flip him though because at aggy, he'll be faster than their entire secondary. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Omeire might be a little slow for a DE but he could probably manage.

I doubt we can flip him though because at aggy, he'll be faster than their entire secondary. 

IDK, didn't sloneal run a 4.85.

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

On the 247 Opening thread it doesn't sound like Umanmielen is doing to good lining up as a DE going against OT's.  Went 0-3 against some guy named Dumervil.

Umanmielen doing Aggy DE things. It was likely Marcus Dumervil (probably LSU), he's another St. Thomas Aquinas kid. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Marcus-Dumervil-45572748/