Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Suchomel seems to think Mookie Cooper might commit soon and that it won't be Texas. If that's the case he probably won't be in for the LSU game. 

I know this board moved on awhile ago but thought I'd share

He also still thinks we get Rogers but says it isn't a lock (pretty much a given in any Such update)

8 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Suchomel seems to think Mookie Cooper might commit soon and that it won't be Texas. If that's the case he probably won't be in for the LSU game. 

I know this board moved on awhile ago but thought I'd share

He also still thinks we get Rogers but says it isn't a lock (pretty much a given in any Such update)

Wouldn’t surprise me if he still takes visits after he commits. I’ve been ready to move on though 

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if he still takes visits after he commits. I’ve been ready to move on though 

Just for reference here are the quotes

"Officially over? Maybe.

But I talked to Mookie today. You might be surprised on the timing of him committing. It won't be Texas, and I doubt he'll be in for the LSU game if what I believe is going to happen holds true."

What a weird recruitment this turned out to be. I haven't been following recruiting for long but I haven't seen a kid do a complete 180 like that on us before (excluding Bru)

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Just for reference here are the quotes

"Officially over? Maybe.

But I talked to Mookie today. You might be surprised on the timing of him committing. It won't be Texas, and I doubt he'll be in for the LSU game if what I believe is going to happen holds true."

What a weird recruitment this turned out to be. I haven't been following recruiting for long but I haven't seen a kid do a complete 180 like that on us before (excluding Bru)

Excuse me, sir. No one does a 180 on Texas, and Bru, most of all, certainly did not. 

It was a 540. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Jabberwocky said:

In regards to Mookie, it appears that the Bucknuts in Ohio have secured his recruitment. They seem to really be holding their own under Day in this transition.

I thought they'd stop stealing so many recruits from us when they lost Urban and we barely beat Georgia, but apparently I was very naive 

1 minute ago, trythisathome said:

I thought they'd stop stealing so many recruits from us when they lost Urban and we barely beat Georgia, but apparently I was very naive 

They're not grabbing the in-state kids anymore (except that random WR we didn't offer) - we're just fighting more national recruitments than we used to so they're naturally always around.

Edited by texifornia

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I have to say, this fucking killed it for me. I just laughed for 5 minutes. Now, I’m on my third homemade Manhattan and have had enough of the fucking negative momentum, so I probably needed a laugh, but this was a good one. 

Also, I will shit a golden quasimoto and light the Notre Dame cathedral on fire if Jahari Rogers picks Florida over Texas

Definitely here for that dude. 

So the 247 run on Rogers was because a Florida mod interviewed him and it came across to him that he was "more" excited when answering questions about Florida as compared to Texas. Since the Florida mod went with it, Wiltfong, who so wants to be right about this Texas recruiting cycle that he went with it as well.

247 should really stop with the CB's if that is how they are being made.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So the 247 run on Rogers was because a Florida mod interviewed him and it came across to him that he was "more" excited when answering questions about Florida as compared to Texas. Since the Florida mod went with it, Wiltfong, who so wants to be right about this Texas recruiting cycle that he went with it as well.

Why? It's still no skin off their back? They're beholden to what? 17 year olds? No matter what happens it gets clicks and interactions. 

It’s simply irresponsible for them to continue to allow people to guess where a recruit will sign. There’s too much at stake. Someone alert the President. Perhaps an executive order should be issued to stop the madness.
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

LOL - Do you even $9.95 Bro?

8 hours ago, trythisathome said:

My sarcasm meter may be a little off, but i wouldn’t  say we “barely” beat UGA.  We dominated the game and put them to sleep early. 

What made you say that? 

2 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

My sarcasm meter may be a little off, but i wouldn’t  say we “barely” beat UGA.  We dominated the game and put them to sleep early. 

What made you say that? 

Becauses Zach Evans, 5 star generational running back recruit out of North Shore, said we “barely beat GA” and cited it as a reason we werent in contention with him. This is an oversimplification, but you get the gist. 

You must be new here. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

In regards to Mookie, it appears that the Bucknuts in Ohio have secured his recruitment. They seem to really be holding their own under Day in this transition.

Really, really odd recruitment.  He was effusive with praise about Texas for a long, long time.  So much so that he convinced Marcus Washington to give us a look and ended up signing with us.  WTH happened between then and now?  Just weird.

8 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Really, really odd recruitment.  He was effusive with praise about Texas for a long, long time.  So much so that he convinced Marcus Washington to give us a look and ended up signing with us.  WTH happened between then and now?  Just weird.

He’s a flaky recruit who likes to make multiple schools think they lead. Just in the spring, he’s had Texas, Miami, USC, Illinois, Mizzou, and Ohio State all thing they’re getting him. Too much drama for a slot receiver not named Jaylen Waddle, imo. 

We really need some of the heavy leans like Lindberg, Dorbah and Thompson to go ahead and pull the trigger to get a little mo going again.  Looking at the 247 composite for Texas players we're likely to get ~12-15 of the top 50,  which is quite good, but it sure feels like we've stalled out at the moment.

43 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Marcus Washington to the transfer portal phone.  You have a call on line 1.  

• Fuck You 7

29 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

We really need some of the heavy leans like Lindberg, Dorbah and Thompson to go ahead and pull the trigger to get a little mo going again.  Looking at the 247 composite for Texas players we're likely to get ~12-15 of the top 50,  which is quite good, but it sure feels like we've stalled out at the moment.

If Lindbergh commits, we’ll probably have a top 3 o-Line class in the country.  Regardless of how this class turns out, as long as we keep stocking up OL talent, our teams will look good.

Looks like we’ll get Dorbah, CT3, Collins to go along with Crawford.  Those 4 are all highend talent.  Unfortunately, not sure how the rest will play out.  

Defense:

Alford- trending bama

Ransom-  silent to osu

Ringo- uga

Rodgers-  should land him but UF trending 

Eaton-  silent to aggy

LB-  who the fuck knows.  Don’t think our staff has a clue either

Broughton-  silent to aggy

Umelielan-  trending aggy

Van Fillinger-  who knows

————

Offense:

Evans-  bama

Bijan-  trending osu

McClellan-  ou

Johnny Wilson-  Oregon or Texas

Johnston-  Likely Texas

Mookie-  osu trending 

Achne-  aggy to play RB lol

Karic-  who knows

Hester-  Texas if we take his commitment

TE-  who the fuck knows

We’ll probably see a lot of back up offers go out after the summer.  I think this class will end up in the 8-12 range.  Disappointing after coming off a good season but not terrible.  

Edited by victory88

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I think this class will end up in the 8-12 range.  Disappointing after coming off a good season but not terrible.  

Agreed.  Nor do I especially care about where they rank.  I care up the classes content.  How we keep missing on certain positions baffles me.  

16 minutes ago, victory88 said:

If Lindbergh commits, we’ll probably have a top 3 o-Line class in the country.  Regardless of how this class turns out, as long as we keep stocking up OL talent, our teams will look good.

Looks like we’ll get Dorbah, CT3, Collins to go along with Crawford.  Those 4 are all highend talent.  Unfortunately, not sure how the rest will play out.  

Defense:

Alford- trending bama

Ransom-  silent to osu

Ringo- uga

Rodgers-  should land him but UF trending 

Eaton-  silent to aggy

LB-  who the fuck knows.  Don’t think our staff has a clue either

Broughton-  silent to aggy

Umelielan-  trending aggy

Van Fillinger-  who knows

————

Offense:

Evans-  bama

Bijan-  trending osu

McClellan-  ou

Johnny Wilson-  Oregon or Texas

Johnston-  Likely Texas

Mookie-  osu trending 

Achne-  aggy to play RB lol

Karic-  who knows

Hester-  Texas if we take his commitment

TE-  who the fuck knows

We’ll probably see a lot of back up offers go out after the summer.  I think this class will end up in the 8-12 range.  Disappointing after coming off a good season but not terrible.  

Oh, you’re confident on Collins, are you? 

2729805.jpg

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh, you’re confident on Collins, are you? 

2729805.jpg

I tend to be more cynical/pessimistic by nature.  I think being a legacy and having his family see him play will get us his signature.  If he wasn't, I would put no faith in landing him.  Even then I wouldn't be shocked if we lost out on him.  This staff has been the worst at DL recruiting I have seen at Texas.  We used to cherry pick DL.  Now, none seem to want to play in this system or for the coaches.  And the crazy part, they've had 3 DL win DL of the year in their respective conferences in Ed Oliver, Poona, and Charles.  The development and production is there.  Somehow they can't sell this to recruits and Elko can convince 285 DTs to play DE in his 4-3.  What the fuck...

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I tend to be more cynical/pessimistic by nature.  I think being a legacy and having his family see him play will get us his signature.  If he wasn't, I would put no faith in landing him.  Even then I wouldn't be shocked if we lost out on him.  This staff has been the worst at DL recruiting I have seen at Texas.  We used to cherry pick DL.  Now, none seem to want to play in this system or for the coaches.  And the crazy part, they've had 3 DL win DL of the year in their respective conferences in Ed Oliver, Poona, and Charles.  The development and production is there.  Somehow they can't sell this to recruits and Elko can convince 285 DTs to play DE in his 4-3.  What the fuck...

Most schools are saying Oliver is a fluke, Poona didn't get drafted and Charles wasn't that dominant and got drafted day 3.  Not just aggy is saying this, but Ark, LSU, tosu..everyone.  This season if Coburn has a solid season as we expect, that narrative will start changing.  Same thing for Roach at DE, he shows up and balls..these kids can then picture themselves doing the same thing. Time to show n prove.

6 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Most schools are saying Oliver is a fluke, Poona didn't get drafted and Charles wasn't that dominant and got drafted day 3.  Not just aggy is saying this, but Ark, LSU, tosu..everyone.  This season if Coburn has a solid season as we expect, that narrative will start changing.  Same thing for Roach at DE, he shows up and balls..these kids can then picture themselves doing the same thing. Time to show n prove.

Even if what you prophesies comes to pass, im not ready to be that confident yet. 

Show and prove like pistol-whipping the second best and wildly more talented than us team in the SEC? We need legitimate recruiters. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Has anyone actually seen the legacy angle mentioned in Collins' recruitment as a positive?  Sometimes a parent has been jaded by the realities of college athletics and they are counseling their kid to make a wise choice based on the current merits of each school and not an emotional one based on who we grew up cheering for. 

1 minute ago, TheRRKid said:

Has anyone actually seen the legacy angle mentioned in Collins' recruitment as a positive?  Sometimes a parent has been jaded by the realities of college athletics and they are counseling their kid to make a wise choice based on the current merits of each school and not an emotional one based on who we grew up cheering for. 

He's been to like every Texas home game. I think it's helping us here.

19 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Exactly. We’ve had the past two B12 defensive lineman of the year and one was undrafted and the other was a late-rounder. “Come dominate the B12 and fight to barely be drafted”...not a great sales pitch.

Need some guys to start going in the 1st to change the narrative and not make it so easy to negatively recruit agains us.  Roach won’t be one, but maybe Coburn as long as he doesn’t leave early.