Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

31 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

No pressure, no read, no defense. All that  drill really shows is arm strength and maybe accuracy. 

And he excelled at them compared to his peers with the exception of Bryce Young...

He lacks the build that JQJ and RJ have which will be a big advantage for them in the run game.  He has speed and quickness in the same range as them.  He's much much much further along than them with his footwork, mechanics, and accuracy.  RJ is going to spend this whole next year just working on his mechanics because he's behind the curve ball.  JQJ has all the potential in the world but he's EXTREMELY raw.  We'll see if he's willing to RS and sit it out while they coach him up rather than probably getting decent playing time day one at WR or LB.  My biggest concern for Card isn't his hands, it's whether he can get through a season without getting injured seeing how much Herman likes to run his QBs.  Right now he's got a big advantage over the other two in the sense that he can throw.  We'll see how it all plays out when they all compete but I like his chances.  

With that said, it's nice to see how much Sam has progressed as a QB.  Herman and Beck have maximized the talent of multiple QBs throughout their careers.  I love the talent we have in our QB room and how well each fits in our system.  With their coaching, who knows how far each progresses and who takes over.  For the first time in a decade, I feel confident that our team will always have a prepared and talented QB.  Just with that alone, we should be able to compete most year for the Big 12.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

And the decision on who replaces Sam can't wait. It must be made now. Reputations on this esteemed board will be on the line. Scorn awaits those who will be wrong.

It's fucking important.

And God forbid if you are flat wrong.  Souls, lost.  

24 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

And the decision on who replaces Sam can't wait. It must be made now. Reputations on this esteemed board will be on the line. Scorn awaits those who will be wrong.

It's fucking important.

What is fucking amazing is that for the first time in a decade we're not hoping some QB recruit can come in and provide depth on the roster. 

The one thing Herman has overwhelmingly succeeded at, through recruiting, is fixing the QB room. For all we bitch about LB, RB, DL and other positions, Herman (and Beck) seem to have the most important position on the field covered. Any by God, we've got Sam for two more years. Sorry for being optimistic.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Hand nonsense aside, Card looks really skinny.  I thought he was supposed to have filled out some this year?

If he is a really plus passer at the college level we could adjust the offense to accommodate him, but I have a hard time seeing how he fits into the running game.  The QB has to run inside in our offense, and even if we try to invert that and have him as the edge threat he isn’t really that fast.  Pretty quick, yes, but that’s at a light weight and still not equivalent to someone like JQJ.

I am glad he looks like a nice passing prospect, though.  You can work with that to a degree no matter the offense, but physically he seems a lot more like Buechele than the other QBs we’ve had.  

good thing we have JQJ then

Hand nonsense aside, Card looks really skinny.  I thought he was supposed to have filled out some this year?
If he is a really plus passer at the college level we could adjust the offense to accommodate him, but I have a hard time seeing how he fits into the running game.  The QB has to run inside in our offense, and even if we try to invert that and have him as the edge threat he isn’t really that fast.  Pretty quick, yes, but that’s at a light weight and still not equivalent to someone like JQJ.
I am glad he looks like a nice passing prospect, though.  You can work with that to a degree no matter the offense, but physically he seems a lot more like Buechele than the other QBs we’ve had.  

He is a much better runner than Buechele is. Card was a WR in the LT offense for 2 years and their primary threat on end arounds.

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It's not out of the realm of possibility he could put in the necessary weight before he ever takes a meaningful snap. This, of course, is assuming Casey and Rojo stay and play the way it's planned 

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Is there we we pivot and say Ty Jordan is the best back anyway? 

/Stan Drayton 

I know you're joking, but that kid is 100% a take and I'm afraid they're going to fuck around and push him to USC if they haven't already. Obviously, he's not a Bijan, Evans, or McClellan, but he could be a fantastic Swiss Army Knife type player for us.

2 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

The transfer portal comes to mind

giphy.gif

CT stayed knowing that Sam would be starting for another 2 years. Unless he gets outclassed by one of the other guys, the situation hasn't changed. I still don't see the point in not even mentioning him when looking for Sam's heir.