Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

4 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Haven’t you heard we are a lock for a five star, Wheaton in 2021? 

Based on how things are going, the 9.95 reports that are coming from the Texas staff are probably indicating we are too bullish on our 2021 targets as well. 

I'm willing to bet 9.95 that he ends up at Bama

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

As Tonto once said, “What do you mean we, white man?”.

I always liked that one. A couple of years ago I went to the DPS lab in Houston to inspect some blood vials for a case and, while waiting, read a clipping they had on the bulletin board. Something along the lines of Tonto and the Lone Ranger waking up in the middle of the night and seeing the stars. Tonto asked the LR what he thought and LR waxed philosophical and said it reminded him of the vastness of the universe and how inconsequential man may be in the big scheme of things. Then the LR asked Tonto what he thought and he said "I wonder who stole our fucking tent."

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

Whittington being good has nothing to do with his post. Whittington was not recruited as a RB. He was not recruited by Drayton (thank the gods on that one) and was NOT some master plan to overcome the fuckery that is Stan Drayton and his fucking donut hole batting average recruiting RB to fucking Texas. Whittington's talent and skillset does serve to cover up the abject failure that is Drayton. 

nobody is defending Drayton. Despite the fuckery that is Drayton’s recruiting, we still somehow have the state’s best running back two years in a row, and we damn well better get two more good ones this year or else we are fucked unless Derrian Brown makes a full recovery.

4 hours ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

My face just turned a whiter shade of pale.

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

As Tonto once said, “What do you mean we, white man?”.

2 hours ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

I figured you’d appreciate the Procul Harum reference, you being a native Latin speaker and all.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

It's an American dream
Includes Indians too.

16 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Peter. 3 betrayals by Judas would've required a couple more resurrections

My bad.  Funny thing is the pastor used Jesus forgiveness of Peter in his Easter sermon and then a short while later went on a rant about those questioning their faith. I'm sitting there thinking did you completely miss what Jesus was teaching that you just used in your sermon? SMH.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cdain3 said:

I’m reading back through the elite 11 247 thread from last night, and there’s some Barton Simmons comedy. 

In this pro day simulation drill, QBs make 20 throws and get graded from 0-3 on each. In the thread, Stampini was logging how QBs did on each throw. At the end of the sessions, Simmons listed how he thought everyone scored (the 11 elite staff hadn’t released their scores yet), and he had King as having the second highest score despite Stampini logging him as having five or seven poor throws; Simmons then gets blasted by various 247 posters. He had Card at 7, fwiw.

Later when elite 11 releases its scores from this drill, King isn’t even in the top five.

Simmons can’t even score a fucking drill correctly 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Mack Brown would have offered him as tight end.

safety.  mack knew what he was doing, by the way.  sure, rg3 and johnny 8ball had some collegiate success as quarterbacks but they were playing out of position.  mack knew this and their coaches didn’t.  they’d both still be roaming NFL defensive backfields and collecting large paychecks if they had chosen correctly out of high school.  

18 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

The cock crow three times is Jesus telling Judas at/after the Last Supper he will betray him 3 times before dawn.

I'm just now noticing that this bit of tomfoolery got more attention yesterday. Apart from the aforementioned problem of misplacing Peter and Judas, I'm afraid the ironic elements got lost, as well.

My bit was an intentional misquote of Morrissey. Morrissey's bit is an intentional misquote of Richard III from Shakespeare. It's "Ere twice the sun hath done salutation to the morn," and by saying "ere thrice the sun hath done salutation to the dawn," he was expressing in as pompous, overblown, and incorrect a fashion as possible how funny it is when people are pompous, overblown, and caught in the act of misappropriating.

All of which was in response to Katfid quoting Yeats in a more or less accurate manner.

I find it more than mildly amusing that this particular offseason bit of irrelevant buffoonery has now been followed by a discussion of Barton Simmons and his utter lack of football knowledge vis-à-vis getting caught up in the recruiting world hype at the Elite 11 event.

Because in spite of what the $9.95ers say, and in spite of all our discussion of hand sizes, there's a better than even chance that Hudson Card is a lot better than Haynes King. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

Ranking the top Elite 11 QBs after Day 1 in Frisco

• by Barton Simmons. (247)
  1. BRUCE YOUNG, Commit to USC (#1 DT-QB)
  2. CJ STROUD, Uncommitted (#14 DT-QB)

3. HAYNES KING, Uncommitted (#2 DT-QB)

4. HUDSON CARD, Commit TEXAS (#5 DT-QB)

5. LUKE DOTY, Commit SOUTH CAROLINA (#3 DT-QB)

6. ANTHONY RICHARDSON, Commit FLORIDA (#15 DT-QB)

7. CARSON BECK, Commit GEORGIA (#3 PRO-QB)

8. JEFF SIMS, Commit FLORIDA STATE (#8 PRO-QB)

9. HUNTER DEKKERS, Commit IOWA STATE (#21 DT-QB)

10. DREW PYNE, Commit NOTRE DAME (#13 PRO-QB)

11. CHANDLER MORRIS, Commit ARKANSAS (#11 DT-QB)

Edited by LTtxfan

30 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Because in spite of what the $9.95ers say, and in spite of all our discussion of hand sizes, there's a better than even chance that Hudson Card is a lot better than Haynes King. Just sayin'.

They’re pretty dang even as prospects actually, and I think a lot of folks would have King slightly higher than Card, but you keep doing you. 

You’re starting to drift into the Spidery2banana/daddy98 realm of prospect evaluations. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

They’re pretty dang even as prospects actually, and I think a lot of folks would have King slightly higher than Card, but you keep doing you. 

You’re starting to drift into the Spidery2banana/daddy98 realm of prospect evaluations. 

One of us expressed a probability. It wasn't you. Whether you agree with that probability or not, is, of course, a perfectly reasonable question. But don't go pretending I'm making grandiose pronouncements when I have not, in fact, made any pronouncement of fact at all.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

One of us expressed a probability. It wasn't you. Whether you agree with that probability or not, is, of course, a perfectly reasonable question. But don't go pretending I'm making grandiose pronouncements when I have not, in fact, made any pronouncement of fact at all.

I never said you made a pronouncement of fact, so I’m just going to ignore the nonsensical distinctions you think you’re making. 

You said above there’s a greater than 50% chance Card will be much better than King, meaning you think there’s a less than 50% chance for all other outcomes, including Card being slightly better, then being even, or King being better. Considering that most people would have King above Card but both are fairly low-ceiling prospects considering their rankings, meaning there’s not likely to be some huge separation between the two, so it’s hard to see how you get to your prediction of greater than 50% chance Card is a lot better. 

It’s difficult to say that someone’s evaluation of a prospect is flat out wrong but with your high-floor, low-ceiling eval of Broughton and your predictions of Card v King, it sure seems you like to toe that line.

1 hour ago, Burntcowboy said:

Not sure if the whole session has been shown here yet, but here it is. Also get a sighting of everyone’s favorite cat lover

Card looks pretty fucking good there.  Fuck the whole hand talk.  Dude zips the ball out, looks to have good footwork, and seems to be pretty accurate.  He's also quick.  I think he'll excel in our offense.  Just need to bulk him up at this point.  I think he's going to beat both RJ and JQJ when they battle it out after Sam leaves.  He looks better than most of the prospects there including King.