Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

8 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Broughton's momma sure seems to be leaning our direction based on her latest tweet.  

Tweeting out random shit is the equivalent of wearing a school's shorts to a recruiting event. It's meaningless. 

5 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Exactly. We’ve had the past two B12 defensive lineman of the year and one was undrafted and the other was a late-rounder. “Come dominate the B12 and fight to barely be drafted”...not a great sales pitch.

Need some guys to start going in the 1st to change the narrative and not make it so easy to negatively recruit agains us.  Roach won’t be one, but maybe Coburn as long as he doesn’t leave early. 

If coburn leaves early im hoping that signals the success you are indicating and we are hoping for...

3 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

She types that with any Texas edit.

I know. I figure it's possible if they were that down on Texas now, that maybe she'd stop the "momma's hook'd". 

Eh whatever, it's just twitter. 

Edited by UncleBuck

17 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Most schools are saying Oliver is a fluke, Poona didn't get drafted and Charles wasn't that dominant and got drafted day 3.  Not just aggy is saying this, but Ark, LSU, tosu..everyone.  This season if Coburn has a solid season as we expect, that narrative will start changing.  Same thing for Roach at DE, he shows up and balls..these kids can then picture themselves doing the same thing. Time to show n prove.

Omenihu had a much better season than A&M's DEs from the 4i spot. A&M simply countered this by telling recruits he would have done even better in a 4-3 (per Nahlin).

Production on its own isn't enough, we need our coaches to better sell the 3-4.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Omenihu had a much better season than A&M's DEs from the 4i spot. A&M simply countered this by telling recruits he would have done even better in a 4-3 (per Nahlin).

Production on its own isn't enough, we need our coaches to better sell the 3-4.

Agreed.  But we do need some guys going higher in the draft as well.  A bit of a negative surprise on Omenihu's draft position.  Not good from a perception standpoint and I'm sure that's being used against us as well.

1 minute ago, Stampeder said:

Agreed.  But we do need some guys going higher in the draft as well.  A bit of a negative surprise on Omenihu's draft position.  Not good from a perception standpoint and I'm sure that's being used against us as well.

There's enough stuff to sell on our end; it's just not being sold well. Omenihu getting drafted in the 3rd instead of the 5th wouldn't have changed anything.

Better recruiters would solve all the issues with recruiting that people are bringing up.  It's about the salesman, not the sales pitch. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

fuck it. edited as to not talk about giles more lol

Edited by UncleBuck

1 hour ago, TheRRKid said:

Has anyone actually seen the legacy angle mentioned in Collins' recruitment as a positive?  Sometimes a parent has been jaded by the realities of college athletics and they are counseling their kid to make a wise choice based on the current merits of each school and not an emotional one based on who we grew up cheering for. 

Dude’s aunt works inside the AD in a real job. The mom had a fine experience at Texas and is well-received on campus by the AD irrespective of the son being a prospect. If a legacy doesn’t have the last name of Simms, there’s a very, very strong shot that they have been taken care of by the school. That doesn’t mean the mom will force the kid to go to Texas, but it’s not really ever going to hurt us. 

Most former pros that live in the state also see Texas above the rest as a place to send their kid. Emmitt Smith wanted Texas to recruit his son and we didn’t, largely because we preferred other slot targets. Deion is no fan of UT but will happily send kids here versus many alternatives if it is a choice. I was talking with a guy that went to Rice and played in the pros. His kids are going to be big time prospects if I had to guess. He said the only school he cares about recruiting his kids in the state is Texas. 

The problems we’re witnessing in recruiting, and I’m not one of the people cutting myself over the mediocre past week, are personnel-related. Texas still has an absolute embarrassment of riches built into the program that almost no one else nationally can top. The guys and girls who have been through it all before and live in the state know it as a matter of fact. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Most former pros that live in the state also see Texas above the rest as a place to send their kid. Emmitt Smith wanted Texas to recruit his son and we didn’t, largely because we preferred other slot targets. Deion is no fan of UT but will happily send kids here versus many alternatives if it is a choice. I was talking with a guy that went to Rice and played in the pros. His kids are going to be big time prospects if I had to guess. He said the only school he cares about recruiting his kids in the state is Texas.  The problems we’re witnessing in recruiting, and I’m not one of the people cutting myself over the mediocre past week, are personnel-related. Texas still has an absolute embarrassment of riches built into the program that almost no one else nationally can top. The guys and girls who have been through it all before and live in the state know it as a matter of fact. 

So what's it gonna take for Herman to make changes to his staff to improve recruiting??

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

i imagine a DL of Broughton at DE, Coburn/Ojomo at NT, and Collins at DE, with Ossai at B-backer and think that is the type of Dline that wins National Championships...

I know the coaches are countering the 4-3 arguments by pointing to a number of things: 1. Texas and Houston DL production; 2. Alabama and Georgia play similar schemes; 3. Elko learned his scheme under Orlando; 4. Orlando's scheme is at its best, like most D schemes, when the Dline is disruptive and penetrating; and 5. that we play multiple fronts 4 down, 3 down, no down depending on the situation in the same way that most NFL teams do. Most are listening but you can only do so much when the other side is paying. I havent heard about Broughton being Leal'd so I think there is still hope.

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i imagine a DL of Broughton at DE, Coburn/Ojomo at NT, and Collins at DE, with Ossai at B-backer and think that is the type of Dline that wins National Championships...

I know the coaches are countering the 4-3 arguments by pointing to a number of things: 1. Texas and Houston DL production; 2. Alabama and Georgia play similar schemes; 3. Elko learned his scheme under Orlando; 4. Orlando's scheme is at its best, like most D schemes, when the Dline is disruptive and penetrating; and 5. that we play multiple fronts 4 down, 3 down, no down depending on the situation in the same way that most NFL teams do. Most are listening but you can only do so much when the other side is paying. I havent heard about Broughton being Leal'd so I think there is still hope.

I mean maybe. As long as those guys never need to be spelled or get injured. Which is the oft unspoken additional problem with our recruiting.   

10 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Myron Warren will be a player for us IMO.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean maybe. As long as those guys never need to be spelled or get injured. Which is the oft unspoken additional problem with our recruiting.   

yeah i was speaking more generally just about that level of player is what we need for our D scheme to reach its full potential. We are not a scheme where the Dline is asked to cover two gaps and allow the LBs to make all the plays. Orlando wants the Dline to disrupt and penetrate. This is a scheme that wants and features Dline production. I think Sweat and Warren can be added to those types of players as well. 

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

yeah i was speaking more generally just about that level of player is what we need for our D scheme to reach its full potential. We are not a scheme where the Dline is asked to cover two gaps and allow the LBs to make all the plays. Orlando wants the Dline to disrupt and penetrate. This is a scheme that wants and features Dline production. I think Sweat and Warren can be added to those types of players as well. 

Sweat is going to be a monster

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Despite all the hand-wringing I would like to point out that 1 of these is not like the others. Of the five guys listed here, one of them does not have the tape to be in this conversation (but I guess he could, as a SR) and is also the most limited athletically of the 5 as well. 

That's why I think the only real damage from losing Broughton is the perception hit. I think the actual on-field impact is pretty negligible. Collins is the guy in this class to me that is the least replaceable and has the chance to be a true blue chip difference maker on the DL. I want them both but if we are talking about DL that help you win titles, it's guys like Collins. 

Sweat and Broughton are athletic mirrors with Sweat having undeniably better results between the chalk. It's a pretty good case study in where you're from, what camps you do, who your trainers are, and how that all works to get your name out there - those things have a huge impact on your recruiting ranking and hence your perception.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Sweat and Broughton are athletic mirrors with Sweat having undeniably better results between the chalk. It's a pretty good case study in where you're from, what camps you do, who your trainers are, and how that all works to get your name out there - those things have a huge impact on your recruiting ranking and hence your perception.

I posted in the 2019 recruiting thread Sweat's ranking was in large part because of a Rivals camp his Soph. year in school in which he didn't test very well ( ranked outside of top 100 in-state on Rivals ).

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I think they're slightly different

I think Broughton will carry more weight earlier than Sweat (he's already almost 290 and carries it extremely well, at the same stage Sweat was probably around 250 or 260), he's probably got a little length on him, and he looks really agile and explosive in drills at that weight. Will he ever get that athleticism to translate to the field to reach his potential? We'll see. He's enrolling early, so he'll get a little jump start. Worst case scenario though, he's a really athletic big dude. 

Sweat is really fluid and naturally strong. He'll bloom with college S&C, and once he's allowed to fire off in the interior in college (he mostly caught, read, and shed in high school), we'll probably see some explosiveness that wasn't always evident in his hudl. Anyone who watched him cause havoc against FB Marshall in the playoffs saw that he was severely underrated. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 4:51 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

That still leaves fedora on the bench. Maybe he and Beaty are happy taking a step back for a season or two after the demands of being hfc for a few years, and will be available if and when coaches need to be replaced. 

offsets matter here, there is something to be said for working a couple of days a week and not having the pressure of being an actual working coach. last time he wasn't an actual coach 12 months a year was in like 87?

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article222129385.html

Because Fedora was fired “without cause,” the university will owe him the remainder of his contract, which is a little more than $12.2 million. It will be paid to him over the next four years.

Under the terms of his contract, if Fedora were to land another job as a coach or TV commentator, the amount UNC owed him would be reduced by the salary in his new job.

---

On 6/28/2019 at 5:30 PM, LTtxfan said:

Fedora and Beaty still getting money from previous HC jobs (assuming Beaty wins lawsuit vs Kansas).  Neither may want an assistant job for 2019 due to offset language from UNC/Kansas contracts...

Fedora has offsets per that article above, looks like Beaty may not?

looks like he originally had offset language in there but when he signed an extension in 2016 that language was removed?

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article120464853.html

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1