Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

23 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What is the worst moment in recruiting we’ve had since Strong took over, not including his first class scramble in January 2014? There were a few low points last year before out of state picked up.

It was when Katfid said all black people look the same. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'm listening to morning blitz and simmons is really hyping up King.. sounds like he could end up being a five star.. was I off thinking the pecking order was Jackson>Card>King>Hornsby?

Yes, 247's personal rankings have him as the #32 player in the country, which is a 5 star. Granted, they also still have him somehow as a .96, which seems low for a 5 star, but whatever. This board loves Jackson, but he's not for sure a QB and is extremely raw as a passer. The point is, it's not like King has just shot up out of nowhere, he's a composite 79 player in  the country, and 247 already thinks highly of the kid, as do other folks in the industry. 

I think ranking them as King > Card > Jackson > Hornsby is probably accurate and has been for awhile. Jackson has the greatest potential in this offense, probably, but King is a hell of a dual threat QB in his own right, and Card has some wiggle when he doesn't fumble the ball with his baby Deadpool hands. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes, 247's personal rankings have him as the #32 player in the country, which is a 5 star. Granted, they also still have him somehow as a .96, which seems low for a 5 star, but whatever. This board loves Jackson, but he's not for sure a QB and is extremely raw as a passer. The point is, it's not like King has just shot up out of nowhere, he's a composite 79 player in  the country, and 247 already thinks highly of the kid, as do other folks in the industry. 

I think ranking them as King > Card > Jackson > Hornsby is probably accurate and has been for awhile. Jackson has the greatest potential in this offense, probably, but King is a hell of a dual threat QB in his own right, and Card has some wiggle when he doesn't fumble the ball with his baby Deadpool hands. 

This, of course, highlights one of the most ridiculous parts of the whole recruiting fan psyche -- rankings lack context, and are therefore particularly silly. Tom Brady and Joe Montana are the names that go into the "greatest of all time" debate meatgrinder, but either one of those guys would have sucked if they'd been asked to be wishbone quarterbacks. How good a pickup a given recruit is only partly comes down to how good he is on his own merits; the other significant part of the equation is what system is he going into, and how well does he fit it.

On the other hand, if it weren't for the BOMC and rankings, we'd have considerably fewer aggy tears to sip on during every off-season, so rank away.

10 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'm listening to morning blitz and simmons is really hyping up King.. sounds like he could end up being a five star.. was I off thinking the pecking order was Jackson>Card>King>Hornsby?

I certainly wouldn't have Jackson first at this point. He's a freak athlete, but way too raw as a passer to have that high IMO. He does likely have the highest ceiling of all of them, in that if he figures out the passing combined with his running and leadership, he'd be a Heisman/get us to the playoffs level QB. 

I generally agree with @SydneyCarton (probably a bad sign), except that I'd change it to King>Card>Jackson>>>>>any guy who's likely to make it in/stay at the school he commits to>>>>Hornsby.

Also, when I went to tag SC, I see that there's apparently a spoof profile of him @Sydney Cartoon that was created a month ago but has no activity. Seems like a real missed opportunity.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

You listen to the blitz on The Horn? When the fucking losers call in and do their terrible impressions and tell jokes with no punchline? 

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I certainly wouldn't have Jackson first at this point. He's a freak athlete, but way too raw as a passer to have that high IMO. He does likely have the highest ceiling of all of them, in that if he figures out the passing combined with his running and leadership, he'd be a Heisman/get us to the playoffs level QB. 

I generally agree with @SydneyCarton (probably a bad sign), except that I'd change it to King>Card>Jackson>>>>>any guy who's likely to make it in/stay at the school he commits to>>>>Hornsby.

Also, when I went to tag SC, I see that there's apparently a spoof profile of him @Sydney Cartoon that was created a month ago but has no activity. Seems like a real missed opportunity.

I mean, that's pretty fucking brilliant. The opportunities for fun there on all levels are outstanding. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If I had to guess, I'd say the spoof account felt  you had already stolen his most outrageous material before he could post it. 

I'm not going to apologize my success. Shooters Shoot. 

I'm also unwilling to rule out the possibility that this is either Spider2yBanana's efforts to hack my account, but instead of trying to log in he created a new account instead, having always thought my actual handle was Sydney Cartoon. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

Don't forget the Rondale Moore front wedgie. In hindsight, that might have been the most impactful miss so far. 

Yeah, but that miss always felt more "legitimate" and not at all self-inflicted, given his relationship with Brohm.

Edited by Katfid54

35 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

source.gif

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Don't forget the Rondale Moore front wedgie. In hindsight, that might have been the most impactful miss so far. 

Well the biggest miss in terms of win total last season was Malik, but that's for another thread

37 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You're right,  it is hard to put Jackson first right now.  

But,  I believe he will thrive in this offense and could very well end up being the best of King,  Card and Hornsby.  This a perfect offense for him.  

Just now, Orange&White said:

Is it just a foregone conclusion that King signs with the aggies now? I thought it was still about 50/50 with them and Tennessee

That's probably correct. I think the board is just a bit punch drunk at the moment and assuming the worst, because, well, it's been a shitty couple of weeks. 

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

Is it just a foregone conclusion that King signs with the aggies now? I thought it was still about 50/50 with them and Tennessee

it is 50/50, he was supposed to make his mind up before E11 but couldn't/didn't.

probably for the best because after how well he has played here he may get some more heat from other schools...

8 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Demas, King, Jones are tearing it up...smh. 

If you are surprised by Demas and King being good at football, I don't know what to tell you. It's not new information.

Jones was pretty awful in the CB/WR drills in 1-on-1s. Unsurprisingly, he's looked much better when playing facing the ball at FS. Oh btw - that's where he was offered and recruited at Texas, because he's a fucking FS. Aggy sold him on being able to play CB, because they play guys like him at CB already. Look for him to spend Saturdays chasing WRs and being out of position, you simply can't play CB and have a 4.32 shuttle. This staff is brutally honest with guys in terms of their position and the depth chart. If you expect that to change, get used to disappointment. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Broughton does not have the speed to turn the corner. He's been getting stonewalled almost every time at all the camps where he tries. Notice later, his inside move is much more effective.  It's almost like he can't play DE or something.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Parr looking a lot better with the pads on. He's got quick feet and good recovery ability.