Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Auburn decommit season should start no later than 12/1/19. If word gets out about the new coach prior to the iron bowl thrashing, the schedule might move up. If it is an exciting hire, that could mitigate things.

Who the hell exciting would take a job where you could literally get fired after the first year of your contract?

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Remember when Nahlin hinted about Florida getting a last-minute "assist" from another university during the Jahari Rogers' recruitment? Wondering if the same thing happened with CTJ that would explain the late shift.

any idea which university it was?

3 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

The only coaches who would do it would be Jimbo, Patterson, and Meyer (and Meyer isn't coaching). But, I'm not so sure it is true because it seems doubtful that it would even impact a kid.

Edited by Bevo

13 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Both Rogers and CTJ play in the DFW area, which makes me think it's blOU. They have more pull in DFW than in other areas of the state, and they have a vested interest in weakening our safety corps (obviously).

Edited by satyanash

14 hours ago, satyanash said:

Well, if what Keith Niebuhr's saying is true, CTJ wants to come here regardless.

I don't know why his family is pushing him to Auburn of all places though... You'd expect things like depth chart/the SEC pitch to influence the kid more than the parents.

That's the thing, the whole "family wants him at AU" play is bunch of horse shit. Chris' family and he met with engineering advisors on each of his visits here. Family supposedly wants the best for his life after football. Auburn can't hold our jockstrap in either of those categories. I thought it was all smoke, but after he pushed back the commitment date, I have to admit there might be more to it. I'm still not too worried.

17 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The only coaches who would do it would be Jimbo, Patterson, and Meyer (and Meyer isn't coaching). But, I'm not so sure it is true because it seems doubtful that it would even impact a kid.

Um what?  All other coaches not named Jimbo, Fatterson and Meyer are good ole boy gentlemen's agreement recruiters?  If OU had anything to do with Florida and Auburn getting Rogers and CTJr respectively, someone on OU staff is doing their fucking job .  I'm not going to melt down about CTJr prematurely but the point stands regardless

4 minutes ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

That's the thing, the whole "family wants him at AU" play is bunch of horse shit. Chris' family and he met with engineering advisors on each of his visits here. Family supposedly wants the best for his life after football. Auburn can't hold our jockstrap in either of those categories. I thought it was all smoke, but after he pushed back the commitment date, I have to admit there might be more to it. I'm still not too worried.

Any chance he wasn’t accepted into the engineering school here?  Would he know that so soon?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Any chance he wasn’t accepted into the engineering school here?  Would he know that so soon?

No. Staff isn't worried if Thompson will qualify and the engineering dept. works with the team to bend the rules a bit if needed. Part of Cockrell's want to have a diverse student body, that includes student athletes. Chris is a smart kid. Other than that, applications haven't even begun for their class to my knowledge. Not sure, it's been like 4 years since I've applied to undergrad.

• Like 1

Many a parent with professional sports aspirations for their child have been swayed by a combination of depth chart and cold, hard cash.   I have no idea if that is going on here or if Surly is just being Surly.  I suspect CTJr commits to the Horns.  Auburn has too many things working against it while we are locked and loaded for this season.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Thompson's newest Twitter follow is this video editor: https://twitter.com/jeterdallastx

Well, there's that. I guess we still have a chance but its not trending well for sure. So we have Crawford and likely Jerrin in this class. We need, 2-3 more? Outside of Eaton who is a huge A&M lean right now, do we even have another target? 

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Well, there's that. I guess we still have a chance but its not trending well for sure. So we have Crawford and likely Jerrin in this class. We need, 2-3 more? Outside of Eaton who is a huge A&M lean right now, do we even have another target? 

Ryan Watts, Bud Clark, Xavion Alford.

1 hour ago, USMCHorn said:

Is this the part where we act like he’s not Texas good?

CTJ may be getting classified as a tweener, but Nahlin's written at length about how well he'd fit at Rover under Orlando. It's been part of our sell to him.

The other safeties we've been pursuing don't have the same fit (Alford, for example, projects more to nickel).

Just now, satyanash said:

CTJ may be getting classified as a tweener, but Nahlin's written at length about how well he'd fit at Rover under Orlando. It's been part of our sell to him.

The other safeties we've been pursuing don't have the same fit (Alford, for example, projects more to nickel).

which makes more sense for him to head to Austin rather than Auburn

ctj is not some transcendental player to get panties in a wad over if he goes somewhere else.  this year's db recruiting is an anomaly in that it is struggling as compared to previous years but that may be some of the issue, the depth chart.  i'm sure that was a major reason for washington.  would love to have ctj but if he goes el$ewhere, then good luck to him.

34 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

which makes more sense for him to head to Austin rather than Auburn

Which is why it doesn't make sense to dismiss him going to Auburn as "oh well, he's just a three-star, next man up, bla blah". He's a terrific fit here, moreso than any other school, and we also kinda need LBs.

• Like 1

Just now, satyanash said:

Which is why it doesn't make sense to dismiss him going to Auburn as "oh well, he's just a three-star, next man up, bla blah". He's a terrific fit here, moreso than any other school, and we also kinda need LBs.

Only like two people are - even irishtexan was just being sarcastic

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Remember when we all thought Overshown was going to become Rovershown? Thompson Jr. is a safety (joker) until he's not.

• Like 1