Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

9.95ers are saying it's legit.

@closetojumping is this also clickpumping?

1 hour ago, Stampeder said:

Yet, not a one of them has changed their CB to cloudy.

I default to clickpumping bullshit with the sudden “who really knows?!?” silliness right before a commitment announcement. It happens regularly. Players push that narrative and $9.95ers love it. It just happened with Broughton. 

The traffic directly ahead of a commitment will always flash when an announcement is scheduled.  When/if drama can be added with vagueries and potential backtracking, every site wins. 247 flat out benefits from drama between Texas and OSU. Same for Rivals. The Chris Thompson recruitment has been as innocuous as it gets. Now he’s waffling and we’re hearing about it, even though he’s known when he was committing for months? Right. 

I’ve seen the traffic and time on page metrics for sites when there’s a contested recruitment versus a surprise commitment and it is night and day. The only folks that win with an out of the blue commitment is the coaching staff that lands it. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

The Chris Thompson recruitment has been as innocuous as it gets. Now he’s waffling and we’re hearing about it, even though he’s known when he was committing for months? Right. 

And waffling while trying to meet an arbitrary deadline HE SET HIMSELF.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s a little odd that the team we spanked hard in the bowl game has now picked up three recruits we are after (assuming Ringo is a done deal).

Ya think?   They recruit to level BBB+ for 30 years, then change staff and all of a sudden recruit to level AA+.  Right.  

4 minutes ago, thepop said:

Chris Thompson has been silently committed for months. Block out the noise you hear. 

This should apply to about 98% of the rumors near the end of a recruitment.

The 9.95ers knew Broughton had made a commitment video and they were still pushing the narrative that he "might delay" or it "might be aggy". Some of that probably had to do with Broughton building suspense but this is just what 9.95ers do. 

Maybe there's truth to the Thompson rumors (I doubt it) but it's best to just block out the rumors near the end of a recruitment because nearly all of them end up being 9.95 bullshit or the recruit trying to build suspense. People better buckle up the next few days because I guarantee there are going to be a shitload of rumors involving Bijan. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

42 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s a little odd that the team we spanked hard in the bowl game has now picked up three recruits we are after (assuming Ringo is a done deal).

Kirby has probably concluded (quite rationally) that it's the only field on which he's likely to beat Tom Herman.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Foosters said:

So people pay these sites a monthly fee for assurances that they know inside information. Do the sites actually ever share the inside information?

lol! after everything plays out, they will let you know all about the back story my friend!

• Like 1

Big money donors at that program were pissed that the AD freaked out and extended Malzahn, and if this season or next season ends with the slightest whiff that things are heading south, he and his staff will be gone.  If the family is thinking about committing to a position coach they should think carefully. 

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think a tOSU downturn is inevitable. I think Day is an above average recruiter, but holy s*** I'd be wary of him as a playcaller. 73 passes against Purdue is almost unforgivable. 

Inevitable? You’re saying something that almost literally has NEVER happened is inevitable. I mean, it’s possible, sure, but inevitable isn’t what Id choose to call something that is a statistical outlier. Unless by downturn you mean “a few years of John Cooper.”

42 minutes ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

Think losing Coach Samp had a role in what's playing out with CT Jr if true?

Well, if what Keith Niebuhr's saying is true, CTJ wants to come here regardless.

I don't know why his family is pushing him to Auburn of all places though... You'd expect things like depth chart/the SEC pitch to influence the kid more than the parents.

Edited by satyanash

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Inevitable? You’re saying something that almost literally has NEVER happened is inevitable. I mean, it’s possible, sure, but inevitable isn’t what Id choose to call something that is a statistical outlier. Unless by downturn you mean “a few years of John Cooper.”

Exactly. Beginning with the Woody Hayes Era, tOSU has been unbelievably fortunate with head coaches. When John Cooper and Earle Bruce are your two worst coaches in 70 years, something is going right. 

I would say I could see them dropping down to being a Big Ten contender, instead of dominating the conference, but I have very little faith in Harbaugh and the rest of the conference. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis