Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-weekend-august-3rd-5th/

Quick Hitters | Two 2020 Targets
– Andrew King

As most have seen, North Forest (TX) OT Javonne Shepherd announced his commitment to Texas over Texas A&M on Sunday…

It was huge news for Texas. Mostly because it gave them commitments from two of the top three offensive tackles in the state of Texas. The other reason is that in my opinion, it gives them the clear lead for North Forest (TX) ’20 5-star WR Demond Demas. Who is close friends with Shepherd, and they take most of their college visits together.

Most felt Demas recruitment would likely be a Texas-Texas A&M battle, much like Shepherds. Though when Demas cut his list from 8 to 5 the day after Shepherd made his commitment, one noticeable school missed the cut.

The Aggies could get back in this one, but I feel very good about Texas’ chances to land the #1 WR in the state (and is going to be in the race for #1 WR in the nation) as of today. I was told the main competitor for him right now is Alabama. He took a visit to Tuscaloosa back in April and really enjoyed it, and he knows now Alabama WR Jaylen Waddle who is from Houston.

– One top 2020 target who was expected to visit Texas over the weekend that ended up visiting elsewhere was Port Neches-Groves (TX) OT Jaylen Garth. Instead, he visited Alabama over the weekend. I spoke with Garth after the visit to see where things stand in his recruitment, and how his first trip to Tuscaloosa went.

Garth told me “Bama was great. I really liked it, the coaches and players made it feel like home.” Garth noted that obviously it’s still very early in his recruitment, and that he has no plans to make a decision anytime soon. But he’s noticing two schools starting to stand out early on, Texas and Alabama.

Right now Garth isn’t sure on if he’ll visit Texas or anywhere else this summer. But noted that “I’m pretty sure Roschon [Johnson] and I are going to a Texas game this fall.” One factor in his recruitment is his relationship with his HS QB and Texas’ 2019 QB commit Roschon Johnson. Garth told me that Johnson is a big brother to him, and he looks up to him “A LOT!”. He also noted that they always talk about how cool it would be to play together in college.

Now Garth isn’t a Texas lock, but I get the feel that Texas has the inside track in this one. You can’t ever count out Alabama when it comes to a recruit that Nick Saban really wants.

1 hour ago, Bevo14 said:

Herman said the entire staff has to agree on offering

Kinda figured something like that was the case.  

No matter where the blame lies,  it does appear we might be a little slow on pulling the trigger with some of these recruits.  

8 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Kinda figured something like that was the case.  

No matter where the blame lies,  it does appear we might be a little slow on pulling the trigger with some of these recruits.  

The position coach has to scout the kid and bring him up and sell him to the rest of the staff, though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

The position coach has to scout the kid and bring him up and sell him to the rest of the staff, though.

Good point. I know the big guys are a littler harder to evaluate than a WR or RB.  

Maybe part of Giles losing out on some of these guys is he isn't selling them to the staff early enough. 

32 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Good point. I know the big guys are a littler harder to evaluate than a WR or RB.  

Maybe part of Giles losing out on some of these guys is he isn't selling them to the staff early enough. 

Maybe Giles sucks at the recruiting aspect of his job? Oh, that’s been stated hasn’t it?

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

You don’t think herman and the others have noticed that Giles never wants to talk DL offers?

7 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Giles is about to give me an aneurysm. This is a solid DL class, they all like Texas, and we haven’t offered any of them.

That's not his decision, and how many 2020 guys has Texas offered? How many of these DL have actually been on campus?

Edited by HtownHorn

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

That's not his decision.

Oddly enough, I think we didn’t offer many guys until the season started last year. Also for instate guys, it seems like they have to get on campus more than once before they get the offer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

That's not his decision, and how many 2020 guys has Texas offered? How many of these DL have actually been on campus?

We’ve offered like 50 guys. There are more than twice the amount of offers out to RBs right now than there are to DL, it’s a legitimate criticism, blame whoever you want. At this point it falls on Herman too, he should know what Giles is by now.

And if they haven’t been on campus, then get them on the damn campus, they all seem amenable to Texas, that shouldn’t be an impossible task.

• Like 3

Listened to the interview with footwork king on the "no interviews" podcast.  He said that Demas is Julio Jones 2.0.  He mentioned that he went to Georgia's camp full of 4 and 5 star kids and embarrassed every DB at the camp as a sophomore.  He jokingly stated that the UGA coaches were re-evaluating some of their DB prospects because of how bad they looked against Demas.  Ran a 4.38 at UGA's camp and had an insane vertical.  Mentioned that he's 6'4 and around 195 right now.  

Looks like both Evans and Demas are both can't miss prospects.  We really need to win this season.  I'm sick of seeing these prospects head to the likes of bama, uga, ohio state.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

imagine an offensive class with card, hornsby, evans, mookie, omerie, & demas. i think it's very possible. sam and this offense have to so drastic improvement this year to make it happen.

And Ty Jordan, and Figgis 

20 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Listened to the interview with footwork king on the "no interviews" podcast.  He said that Demas is Julio Jones 2.0.  He mentioned that he went to Georgia's camp full of 4 and 5 star kids and embarrassed every DB at the camp as a sophomore.  He jokingly stated that the UGA coaches were re-evaluating some of their DB prospects because of how bad they looked against Demas.  Ran a 4.38 at UGA's camp and had an insane vertical.  Mentioned that he's 6'4 and around 195 right now.  

Looks like both Evans and Demas are both can't miss prospects.  We really need to win this season.  I'm sick of seeing these prospects head to the likes of bama, uga, ohio state.  

I'd put us as the favorite for both at this point, but I'd take the field over us 

35 minutes ago, victory88 said:

that's impressive considering he doesn't get the best coaching at north forest. he'll arrive on campus an unfinished product. 

6 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

do you think there's room for jordan and cooper? i guess it depends if we're recruiting cooper as a back.

I've been wondering about this question. Not sure if anyone knows at this point, even the coaches. They do appear to be two of the five or six guys who are locks if we want them, along with Card, Garth, Dixon, and Dorbah. 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I've been wondering about this question. Not sure if anyone knows at this point, even the coaches. They do appear to be two of the five or six guys who are locks if we want them, along with Card, Garth, Dixon, and Dorbah. 

At some point, they switched up and decided to take one this year and two next year at TB, barring a senior year discovery. 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

At some point, they switched up and decided to take one this year and two next year at TB, barring a senior year discovery. 

Gotcha. The question is, do they take Mookie as a slot/h-back and Ty as a running back, or only take one because they're pretty similar 

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

Gotcha. The question is, do they take Mookie as a slot/h-back and Ty as a running back, or only take one because they're pretty similar 

Ha, yeah, fuck. No one knows, which you alluded to previously. The moving pieces are myriad and include coaching changes, attrition, new targets on the radar, and so on. I don’t see how they look at Cooper as anything but an ideal wild card that can play all over the place and just ignore him as a count towards TB, but that’s just one man’s opinion. If they land him, they should then just ignore him with the numbers and recruit slot and TB as otherwise necessary. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

imagine an offensive class with card, hornsby, evans, mookie, omerie, & demas. i think it's very possible. sam and this offense have to so drastic improvement this year to make it happen.

That would be a real championship contending type of class..  For fuck sake, let's get at least 9 wins, and another in a bowl game.

Just in case anyone hadn't seen these. I know this isn't Texas HSFB, but you don't see a ton of sophomores outrun people like that anywhere at any level.

Herman's not perfect and I'm not a fan of some of his decisions (see: Mehringer, Drew; Warehime, Derek), but I really like his emphasis on supplementing recruiting with out-of-state blue chips. If only someone had thought of this years ago instead of just paying the concept lip service...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Just in case anyone hadn't seen these. I know this isn't Texas HSFB, but you don't see a ton of sophomores outrun people like that anywhere at any level.

Herman's not perfect and I'm not a fan of some of his decisions (see: Mehringer, Drew; Warehime, Derek), but I really like his emphasis on supplementing recruiting with out-of-state blue chips. If only someone had thought of this years ago instead of just paying the concept lip service...

Soundtrack courtesy of Headbangers Ball.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fud said:

We really can’t be having this level of sunshine this far out.  I strenuously suggest you dial it back a few clicks for your own safety and that of those around you. 

• Like 1